AWS-3 Auction Intermediate Results

bigsnake49

The AWS-3 auction is going strong yielding $16.43B, far above the reserve price of $10.5B. There is rampant speculation that Dish is bidding only to drive up the price so that it's own spectrum holdings would go up in price. Contrary to my speculation pretty much nobody is bidding on the unpaired uplink spectrum. I thought that Dish would just pay the reserve price of approximately $0.5B and be done with it. Here's a link with some of the gory details:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/aws-3-auction-nets-14b-bids-so-far-dish-wild-card/2014-11-18

I know that Sprint is not participating, but it's still fun to speculate.  :)

There are some surprisingly interesting, intelligent  comments at the bottom of the article.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 3

I wonder how almighty tmobile will fare in this auction.

Very well, of course.  Magenta is magic.

AJ

Very well, of course. Magenta is magic.

AJ

Lol! They will outbid everyone. Just you wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Lol! They will outbid everyone. Just you wait and see.

Turns out it's little old T-Mobile driving up the prices, in an attempt to troll the big two. I can just imagine Legere tweeting about it... "@Verizon @AT&T U Mad Bros?!? Frustrated yet? #Uncarrier #Attention #TMOrocks"

/s

Turns out it's little old T-Mobile driving up the prices, in an attempt to troll the big two. I can just imagine Legere tweeting about it... "@Verizon @AT&T U Mad Bros?!? Frustrated yet? #Uncarrier #Attention #TMOrocks"

Wow! I hope that come back to bite them. I guess worse case att and Verizon will end up spending more than they wanted.

• Like 2

Turns out it's little old T-Mule driving up the prices, in an attempt to troll the big two. I can just imagine Legere tweeting about it... "@Verizon @AT&T U Mad Bros?!? Frustrated yet? #Uncarrier #Attention #TMOrocks"

You are way behind the times,  tmo is now UnUnCarrier. They went so far uncarrier they looped back round. Their latest offer of a 'free' tablet (so old it's screen uses beeswax instead of lcd) that you have to pay for if you don't keep the line rental for 2 years. Smells a lot like a subsidized tablet,  not very uncarrier! 

The auction looks amusing,  maybe tmo and dish will push up pricing to try and hurt the big two enough to slow them in the 600MHz auction?  It will be interesting to see who ends up with what! 

Wow! I hope that come back to bite them. I guess worse case att and Verizon will end up spending more than they wanted.

Threw an /s tag in there- I have no clue if T-Mobile is doing the bidding, my joke didn't seem to make it through the Internet's.

• Like 1

The auction looks amusing,  maybe tmo and dish will push up pricing to try and hurt the big two enough to slow them in the 600MHz auction?  It will be interesting to see who ends up with what! 

I doubt the big two would slow down in any auction. Instead they will just charge more to make up for increased spectrum costs.

It would be nice if Tmobile can get some more AWS spectrum.  Verizon and AT&T have plenty of spectrum already.

T-Mobile has plenty of spectrum for the amount of subscribers they have. They could refarm PCS spectrum as well and so can everybody else.

Holy Molly? Sounds like one of the Brat Pack has been canonized! :lol:

Molly Ringwald fed many a high schooler's wet dreams. She should be canonized just for that!

$24B??? at the conclusion of bidding yesterday? I don't think that T-Mobile and Dish are in this auction anymore in any of the major markets. Maybe one of the 5MHz blocks?

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

So what does that tell us about Dish vs T-Mobile vs Sprint and the possibility of mergers between any of those players? Well, in an acquisition scenarios, Dish will be valued much higher after the auction, making it too expensive for either Sprint or T-Mobile. Even in a spectrum sale, the high price of this auction will preclude any spectrum sale. In a merger scenario, the spectrum price gets somewhat hidden because everybody has spectrum. However I can definitely see some movement to network share between all three after the 600MHz auction. I still see Dish acquiring the unpaired uplink for the reserve price and pairing it with the Lighsquared spectrum.

Would the high proceeds beyond funding Firstnet encourage the FCC to move PS LMR out of the 800MHz SMR band and onto the nearby 700MHz PS voice band that's adjacent to the PS data band unifying it into a contiguous 15x15MHz band that can be used for both voice and data using VoLTE? One would hope that the FCC and PS community has the forethought to plan beyond the next year and see that the solution is an integrated voice/data communicator.

Edited by bigsnake49

$24B??? at the conclusion of bidding yesterday? 

All I can think of when I see that kind of figure is that I'd really hate to be the consumer ultimately at the receiving end of that price tag.

• Like 2

The twin bells are cleaning house, and I bet they cockblocked tmobile in markets like Cincinnati, Spartanburg SC etc. They know where tmobile needs more AWS for wideband. Att probably came with a vengeance.

I wonder which one of the twin bells got the 10x10 J block in New York City.

The twin bells are cleaning house, and I bet they cockblocked tmobile in markets like Cincinnati, Spartanburg SC etc. They know where tmobile needs more AWS for wideband. Att probably came with a vengeance.

I wonder which one of the twin bells got the 10x10 J block in New York City.

If that's the case. Both are going to show tmobile how to play with the big boys. You wanna play calling us out and making fun so we will show you with our pockets.