AWS-3 Auction Intermediate Results

bigsnake49

My basic summary of the winning bidders...

Dish -- via its Designated Entities, Northstar Wireless and SNR Wireless -- won the AWS-3 auction.  AT&T came in second.  VZW and T-Mobile mainly picked up a few spare pieces here and there.

http://www.fcc.gov/document/auction-97-aws-3-winning-bidders

AJ

Just seen this on Twitter.

@WaltBTIG: RESULTS FOR @FCC AUCTION OUT

$T - $18.2 billion

$VZ- $10.4 bil

$DISH - $10.0 bil ($13.3 B gross)

$TMUS - $1.8 bil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I wonder if vzw would wanna go band 7 fdd?

Irrelevant -- because it is impossible.  BRS/EBS is unpaired.

AJ

Again, what's Dish's end game? Rider on somebody's network? Build their own? Merge with T-Mobile?

I tend to go with option# 3. For me that will create a powerhouse as far as midband spectrum is concerned.  Although a merger with Sprint is not to be discounted.

Edited by bigsnake49

Again, what's Dish's end game? Rider on somebody's network? Build their own? Merge with T-Mobile?

I tend to go with option# 3. For me that will create a powerhouse s far as midband spectrum is concerned.

Blackmail att, vzw into including aws4 in their devices in exchange for access to aws3.

Sell aws4 for crazy money.

Wait till Feds allow it to be bought by att?

Phase 1:  Collect spectrum.

Phase 2:  ?

Phase 3:  Profit.

AJ

• Like 2

AT&T bought most of the good spectrum here (as expected -- they sort of need it). And Dish is squatting on more spectrum, per usual. But I'm kind of surprised by T-Mobile. 

I expected them to buy nothing here, but it looks like they got the H block and some G block in a lot of northern Michigan.

AT&T bought most of the good spectrum here (as expected -- they sort of need it). But I'm kind of surprised by T-Mobile.

I expected them to buy nothing here, but it looks like they got the H block and some G block in a lot of northern Michigan.

Surprising they only bought 5fdd in cincinatti.

Does anybody have Attachment A as a CSV file?

You could easily convert it from http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0130/DA-15-131A2.txt 

I could convert it to CSV later tonight when I have some time, if that's helpful.

I tend to go with option# 3. For me that will create a powerhouse as far as midband spectrum is concerned. Although a merger with Sprint is not to be discounted.

Verizon? That would be my first guess.

A merged TMUS/Dish would have a better spectrum position. It may also poses horribly huge debt.

You could easily convert it from http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0130/DA-15-131A2.txt 

I could convert it to CSV later tonight when I have some time, if that's helpful.

Good luck with that, there is no space or comma before the license area, so you have to write code. You also have to skip the headers. I wish they just had it as a CSV format instead of a report format. 

Edited by bigsnake49

Does anybody have Attachment A as a CSV file?

Attachment A of the document at http://www.fcc.gov/document/auction-97-aws-3-winning-bidders. I want to import it to a database or a spreadsheet.

Here you go.  I already did the import into Excel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvizdt2vfkrw4w7/AWS-3_PWB.xlsx?dl=0

AJ

• Like 3

Surprising they only bought 5fdd in cincinatti.

I don't think it's that surprising.

Everyone knew T-Mobile needed that spectrum -- and (after looking at the different bids) AT&T appears to have pushed the bid up to prevent anyone else from getting it.

T-Mobile almost had the I block, until AT&T outbid them at round 48.

How much time does Dish have left on their existing spectrum for build out requirements?

Adopted: December 11, 2012 

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-12-151A1.pdf

 AWS-4 Interim Build-out Requirement: Within four (4) years, a licensee shall provide
reliable terrestrial signal coverage and offer terrestrial service to at least forty (40) percent of
its total AWS-4 population. A licensee’s total AWS-4 population shall be calculated by
summing the population of each of its license areas in the AWS-4 band.
 AWS-4 Final Build-out Requirement: Within seven (7) years, a licensee shall provide reliable
terrestrial signal coverage and offer terrestrial service to at least seventy (70) percent of the
population in each of its license areas.
188. Additionally, we adopt the following penalties for failing to meet the build-out
benchmarks:
 Failure to Meet AWS-4 Interim Build-out Requirement: Where a licensee fails to meet the
aggregate AWS-4 Interim Build-out Requirement, the AWS-4 Final Build-out Requirement
shall be accelerated by one year (from seven to six years).
 Failure to Meet AWS-4 Final Build-out Requirement: Where a licensee fails to meet the
AWS-4 Final Build-out Requirement in any EA, its authorization for each EA in which it
fails to meet the requirement shall terminate automatically without Commission action. To
the extent that the licensee also holds the 2 GHz MSS rights for the affected license area,
failure to meet the AWS-4 Final Build-out Requirement in an EA shall also result in the MSS
protection rule in section 27.1136 of the Commission’s rules no longer applying to that EA.