AWS-3 Auction Intermediate Results

bigsnake49

Speculation has included FiOS in California, Texas, and Florida, but I don't believe everything I read on Seeking Alpha.

I doubt it. FIOS penetration is 40-50% and Verizon thinks they have room to increase.

Though I guess that has to be weighed against the high-margin wireless business.

I doubt it. FIOS penetration is 40-50% and Verizon thinks they have room to increase.

Though I guess that has to be weighed against the high-margin wireless business.

There is precedent for selling off FiOS markets: Frontier runs FiOS in Fort Wayne, the Seattle and Portland suburbs, and Myrtle Beach.

http://www.consumerfiber.com/fios-availability

http://fiberforall.org/fios-map/

No. A new band must be created and consumer and vendor equipment must be procured and deployed.

There was some talk of simply extending Band 10 (adjusting the upper limit for both the downlink and uplink by 10 MHz), which might be doable because, to my knowledge, no B10 equipment has yet been certified/deployed. I don't know if 3GPP has moved forward with that plan though.

The good news is regardless of whether they choose to extend B10 or create a whole new band, there will be AWS interoperability. That means that all future devices that support the Extended AWS band will also be certified for B4 (and vice versa), and operators who have deployed AWS-3 will use MFBI to maintain support for B4-only devices, while also allowing B4+Ex-AWS devices access to an AWS-1+AWS-3 LTE network.

So yes, this means future CCA/RRPP Sprint devices will have to also eventually support the Extended AWS band.

• 2 weeks later...

The comments from McAdam, Stephenson, and Legere might be real interesting once the quiet period expires today. If Legere is ripping Ergen, we'll know nothing is doing between Dish and T-Mobile US.

• Like 1

The comments from McAdam, Stephenson, and Legere might be real interesting once the quiet period expires today. If Legere is ripping Ergen, we'll know nothing is doing between Dish and T-Mobile US.

Legere knows Dish is critical to TMO's future, even if it's not a merger.