AWS-3 Auction Intermediate Results

bigsnake49

Can someone let me know if this looks correct?

$40B for the 50 MHz of usable spectrum (I'm ignoring the unpaired uplink below 1710) covering 316 million people comes out to a MHz/Pop value of $2.55, which is incredible. PCS sold for about $0.98 MHz/Pop, the original AWS band sold for $0.60, and 700 MHz sold for $1.28.

Especially considering the relatively high frequency spectrum at play here, we're looking at a massive increase in the cost of spectrum even from just a few years ago.

Could this have implications for the "true value" of Sprint's BRS holdings and EBS leases?

• Like 2

Can someone let me know if this looks correct?

$40B for the 50 MHz of usable spectrum (I'm ignoring the unpaired uplink below 1710) covering 316 million people comes out to a MHz/Pop value of $2.55, which is incredible. PCS sold for about $0.98 MHz/Pop, the original AWS band sold for $0.60, and 700 MHz sold for $1.28.

Especially considering the relatively high frequency spectrum at play here, we're looking at a massive increase in the cost of spectrum even from just a few years ago.

Could this have implications for the "true value" of Sprint's BRS holdings and EBS leases?

This is the correlation I made earlier. Even though clear wire was not an auction, what sprint paid for it was easy compared to what is happening here and for the total amount of spectrum. Just think that sprint will deploy 3 20mhz carriers and have CA on top of that. Balanced and fast.

Also these prices cannot be sustained if there is a 600 auction. No way.

Sent from my iPhone 6 64GB using Tapatalk

I bet Joan Lappin is still going nuts over the price Sprint paid for Clearwire now seeing what AWS-3 is going for.  She must be batshit crazy about now.  :lol:

• Like 11

I bet Joan Lappin is still going nuts over the price Sprint paid for Clearwire now seeing what AWS-3 is going for. She must be batshit crazy about now. :lol:

What do you mean "now"? Maybe more so is a better term?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

She's been strangely quiet, or I just have been avoiding any articles written by her.

I went and looked through her Twitter and other articles.  It seems like she is out of the Wireless business and focusing on other sectors now.  Maybe Sprint buying Clearwire pushed her over the edge?  :)

• Like 1

I went and looked through her Twitter and other articles.  It seems like she is out of the Wireless business and focusing on other sectors now.  Maybe Sprint buying Clearwire pushed her over the edge?   :)

Anyone miss her?  *crickets* *crickets*

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Bidding Closes on Paired Band Licenses

In Round 337 there were no bids or withdrawals for any

of the licenses in Blocks G, H, I and J. No proactive

activity rule waivers were placed in Round 337, and the

aggregate reserve price has been met. Therefore, bidding

has closed on the paired licenses in Auction 97.

For more information about the conditions for applying

the auction stopping rules on a per-band basis, please

refer to paragraphs 172-178 of the Procedures Public

Notice, DA 14-1018, released July 23, 2014.

dffd739205dc2e2b03422b362381db37491f1553

AJ

• Like 2

It is finished. Someone put up a passion of the Christ pic.

1/29/2015 10:54:21 AM

Auction Closed

There were no bids, withdrawals, or proactive activity

rule waivers placed in Round 341. Therefore, the

Advanced Wireless Services (AWS-3) Auction has closed

under the simultaneous stopping rule.

Complete auction results including bidder identities

will be made available to bidders and to the public within

the next few business days. These results will be made

available in the FCC Auction System and on the web page for

Auction 97 at http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/97/.

The FCC will release a public notice within the next few days

that provides official notification to winning bidders,

specifies the deadline for payments and long form filing, and

gives details for other post-auction procedures. Each bidder

will receive this public notice by overnight mail and should

review it to determine the bidder's post-auction obligations.

Additionally, this public notice will be posted on the

Commission's Auctions website at http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions.

In the meantime, we suggest bidders review the "Post-Auction

Procedures" section in the "Auction 97 Procedures Public

Notice" (DA 14-1018) released July 23, 2014.

I'm having a hard time grasping that DISH outbid AT&T or Verizon.  It seems to me that DISH is likely that third place competitor left without a lot.  I may be wrong, but given how Charlie couldn't come up with the funds to outbid Clearwire when it was still pretty darn cheap, it just makes me wondering where he got the money to be one of the big winners in the AWS-3 auction.

• Like 1

$44.9 billion MY GOD... My first gut instincts:

1. AT&T spent way too damn much.

2. Verizon might be the big winner here by getting AT&T to overspend.

3. T-Mobile's overall value for a sale went up. Might be to the point where the value is beyond Dish's reach. That said it will be interesting to see their results since they needed spectrum in the Midwest bad.

4. The value of Sprint's 2.6 has skyrocketed as well. Maybe VZ could be in touch? Remember they were Party J in the Clear fiasco.

• Like 2

I'm having a hard time grasping that DISH outbid AT&T or Verizon. It seems to me that DISH is likely that third place competitor left without a lot. I may be wrong, but given how Charlie couldn't come up with the funds to outbid Clearwire when it was still pretty darn cheap, it just makes me wondering where he got the money to be one of the big winners in the AWS-3 auction.

Idea is to force interop with aws4 which they tried with fcc right before aws3 auction

I think Dish won the unpaired AWS-3 spectrum. They drove up the price of the paired spectrum to drive up the value of their own spectrum. In turn I think Verizon and AT&T drove up the price of the unpaired spectrum. What's fair for the goose is...The big winners  but also big losers will be AT&T and Verizon. The big, big winner will be Dish & Charlie Ergen who drove up the value of his company.

We will find out pretty soon I guess :).

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

The downlink at 2155-2180 MHz will be immediately available for use after licenses are granted, and licensees may coordinate with government users for shared access in the 1755-1780 MHz and 1695-1710 MHz bands as government users transition their systems (see our Joint Public Notice for details on the coordination process).

http://www.fcc.gov/blog/putting-auction-97-history-books

• Like 1

$44.9 billion MY GOD... My first gut instincts:

1. AT&T spent way too damn much.

2. Verizon might be the big winner here by getting AT&T to overspend.

3. T-Mobile's overall value for a sale went up. Might be to the point where the value is beyond Dish's reach. That said it will be interesting to see their results since they needed spectrum in the Midwest bad.

4. The value of Sprint's 2.6 has skyrocketed as well. Maybe VZ could be in touch? Remember they were Party J in the Clear fiasco.

Can you expand on # 4 a bit.