Q3 2014 Earnings (Predictions)

IamMrFamous07

Sprint's 2nd quarter results will be officially released on Monday, November 3rd.  An earnings call will be held at 4:30pm ET.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sprint-corporation-schedules-second-quarter-143000928.html

A call in the evening. That's new. Always was early in the morning under Hesse. In fact, so early, that West Coast people often slept through it.

That is 6:30am in Tokyo.  Coincidence?

AJ

• Like 3

Tune in Tokyo! Tune in Tokyo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4

AJ

That is 6:30am in Tokyo.  Coincidence?

AJ

That's the first thing I thought.

Interesting that Verizon numbers rely heavily on tablet sales. I wish Sprint would do the same but alas they don't have a large tablet selection.

Regardless, it is going to be very interesting to see the numbers on Nov 3. 

That's the first thing I thought.

Interesting that Verizon numbers rely heavily on tablet sales. I wish Sprint would do the same but alas they don't have a large tablet selection.

Regardless, it is going to be very interesting to see the numbers on Nov 3. 

They have. That's why the Galaxy Tab 3 has been going for "Free" for most of 2014. I believe the last positive postpaid numbers they reported back in Q4 of '13 or Q1 of '14 were due to tablet sales.  

• Like 1

With AT&T results coming below analysts' expectations, Verizon padding subscriber additions with tablet sales, and Legere saying port-ins from Sprint have reduced, I hope it means Sprint will finally break into positive subscriber growth even without using tablets as crutches.

• Like 8

Crossing fingers for sprint. If they do have a positive add in subscribers I just hope that sprint works even harder to keep them and even add more.

With VZ and ATT adding over 1.25 million postpaid phones between the two of them and Tmob still having to report where do you think all these Sprint adds are going to come from?

There are still organic adds occurring. Especially among children. I have added two accounts this year myself. More kids coming of age, parents are lowering the ages where they give their kids smartphones, older people are getting smartphones, population growth and immigration. It is still possible for Sprint to add customers.

Also, AT&T did not meet projections. VZW numbers are weakening. And Tmo even has said their Sprint portins are going down. All are signs that Sprint's numbers are bounding for a big improvement.

Let's not forget also that Sprint only had a move in the right direction for only one of the three months of the quarter. So it may not be enough to completely turn around. But it will start to show what is occurring now into this Quarter.

• Like 6

There are still organic adds occurring. Especially among children. I have added two accounts this year myself. More kids coming of age, parents are lowering the ages where they give their kids smartphones, older people are getting smartphones, population growth and immigration. It is still possible for Sprint to add customers.

Also, AT&T did not meet projections. VZW numbers are weakening. And Tmo even has said their Sprint portins are going down. All are signs that Sprint's numbers are bounding for a big improvement.

Let's not forget also that Sprint only had a move in the right direction for only one of the three months of the quarter. So it may not be enough to completely turn around. But it will start to show what is occurring now into this Quarter.

I also think Sprint extending promotions and continuing to tweak plans is a very good sign that this pricing strategy is showing some success. The corporate Sprint store near me looked full when I went to grab lunch yesterday. 

• Like 4

With VZ and ATT adding over 1.25 million postpaid phones between the two of them and Tmob still having to report where do you think all these Sprint adds are going to come from?

... the old-fashioned way: more people coming in, less people walking out.

... the old-fashioned way: more people coming in, less people walking out.

:tu:  I never would have guessed that way ;)

I'd view any net additions of postpaid phones as good. But if it is a small number, to me it'd be an indication that the pricing strategy was not having a big impact. I see some other issues and do not expect many, if any, net adds. It will be fun to see how it actually turns out.

:tu:  I never would have guessed that way ;)

I'd view any net additions of postpaid phones as good. But if it is a small number, to me it'd be an indication that the pricing strategy was not having a big impact. I see some other issues and do not expect many, if any, net adds. It will be fun to see how it actually turns out.

If they have postpaid gains and that weren't buffed by tablets than that is good even if it's a small gain. No one is expecting Sprint to  turn around and suddenly gain 500k-1 Million in a quarter. That's not going to happen until Sprint has network that can match or beat other carriers networks on average, and that's becoming more and more of a reality according to Root Metrics.

If ATT & Verizon are allowed to pad their growth with tablets and connected device, why are we so sensitive to sprint doing the same? I tend to expect that tablets and connected devices have lower churn than smartphones, though we don't get the churn broken down like that. I predict 1m+ total adds and somewhere between 500-600k net additions

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I cancelled an add-on line this quarter. Sorry, guys.

That's it.  You single handedly will have brought down Sprint!

• Like 12

I cancelled an add-on line this quarter. Sorry, guys.

That's it. You single handedly will have brought down Sprint!

It's okay. I added my sister to our plan this quarter. So I had to make up for his insolence!

I cancelled 2 extra lines on my account last quarter in order to be able to have my iPhone 6+.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

I cancelled 2 extra lines on my account last quarter in order to be able to have my iPhone 6+.

If I cancel 2 of my ting lines and move 1 of them back to sprint, will that be counted as an add to sprint for the 1 new sprint line or a net loss for the 2 ting lines going away?

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

If I cancel 2 of my ting lines and move 1 of them back to sprint, will that be counted as an add to sprint for the 1 new sprint line or a net loss for the 2 ting lines going away?

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

I don't know. It'll be one new one for Sprint. Ting is just another MVNO.

• Like 1

I don't know. It'll be one new one for Sprint. Ting is just another MVNO.

Churn would tick up a bit for two losses (adds don't factor into churn), but the net loss would be -1 in subscriber numbers (as two Ting cancellations plus one Sprint addition is net loss of one connection).

• Like 1

I believe if Sprint were to post anything north of 200K nets add's (not being masked by Tablet giveaways) they could possibly be pulling from all Carriers.

I'm sorry but the days of just solely resting marketing national Coverage maps and being able to charge people out the A$$, and still have them sign up in droves are over... We are living in an "Its Too Damn High" Society with everything from Rent, to Car Payments, Cable, Insurance, and YES CELL PHONE BILLS! 

People are tired of 300$ Cell Phone bills, even if  A / V have coverage in Cowtown, ID..... A/V are getting the message that they have to offer Value as well, they will not go as low as S and T  but they have to give people more than just Better Coverage talk.  TMO hit blitz hit at exactly the right time in America, people were yearning for this.. I know people who were Verzion loyalist in the early '00's but recently moved their family to TMO and havent't looked back again because they were tired of high cell phone bills. 

Just as I stated, glad to see the media is realizing this too.... People want, need value.....

According to Greg Mishkin, vice president of research and consulting at Market Strategies, although companies like AT&T (NYSE: T), Sprint (NYSE: S) and Verizon Wireless (NYSE: VZ) have very high brand recognition, that doesn't translate to brand loyalty. In fact, consumers are now indicating that they don't have much incentive to stay with their existing wireless operators. Instead, the recent moves toward no contracts and no handset subsidies have made the distinctions among wireless operators unclear. "I believe that the consumer fundamentally changed through this recent recession," Mishkin said. "And now people are proud to be value seekers. They want to find the best value with quality." 

T-Mobile earnings are out.  http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/media-kits/t-mobile-us-reports-third-quarter-2014-results.htm

The jist: 250pops LTE covered, 2.3mil net adds, 52.9mil total.

I wanna see Sprint post modest numbers for net adds and Legere get stuck with his foot in his mouth about T-Mobile surpassing Sprint by the end of the year.

• Like 3

Tmobile result came in with nice figures.

But it could be the peak of their momentum then there is downturn waiting for it.

Marcelo turned Sprint aggressive to compete on price to crackdown Tmobile on price point from late Sep. We shall see everything to be clear in 4th quarter. They really should abandon the Tmobile merger plan and spend the merger budget on network from 1st half of this year. But all in all, Marcelo is the right pick and Sprint is on the right track now.