Q3 2014 Earnings (Predictions)

IamMrFamous07

Remember that even if there are many people switching to sprint in some areas, there are some areas that are lagging in NV completion that will still have a negative churn, which will offset many of the gains. My local sprint store was busy on Monday when I went in to get a new phone, and seemed to be mainly related to the iPhone. 

I believe that they will at least slow/stop the bleeding, due to the new individual plan and iPhone for life promotion. The shared data plan is slightly more confusing for those switching, and I think it needs some tweaking to be really effective in driving growth. Lower than 20GB plans are not very competitive on price or data, it looks like sprint is just trying to drive those people into a 20GB plan by making the lower plans not make sense.  Also, the monthly device fee being dropped for a year only for new customers... is not communicated/marketed well.  People want to know that the plan will be a good value after that period as well, and it LOOKS like a bait-and-switch, which people are weary of. 

I would prefer to see sprint say that they will double the data and match employer discounts from any other carrier.  That is an easy to understand and provides instant value to potential new customers, and would be good for sprint as well. If verizon makes money at that price point, sprint could match the discount and offer value with the double data.  

I want to be cautiously optimistic about the turn around of subscriber losses because the new plans are still very new, NV is still not completed in many areas (and spark is still far away from nationally available), and sprint seems to be focusing on gaining new customers at the expense of stemming the losses of current customers. 

They will report the actual numbers on the 29th, and although I am not predicting stellar results for this quarter, I think that next quarter will start to see more positive results.  

• Like 2

Remember that even if there are many people switching to sprint in some areas, there are some areas that are lagging in NV completion that will still have a negative churn, which will offset many of the gains. 

It's enough that AT&T and Verizon care now.  So it has to be into growth territory for Sprint, or they would not likely care.  If there is not a positive postpaid add, then it's just that Marcelo's impact on just the last month of the quarter was not enough to offset the first two months.  And the 4th Quarter will bear out the story better.

AT&T and Verizon don't make counter moves and give away the farm for no reason.  It's because there is a clear and present danger.

• Like 6

AT&T and Verizon don't make counter moves and give away the farm for no reason. It's because there is a clear and present danger.

That's they key right there. If Sprint's current promotion wasn't working the others would not have wasted time reacting.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of new adds. When I went into a repair store tonight to have my livepro looked at, the store was packed at almost 8pm. Several customers were switching from Verizon and the contract buyout with the huge data bucket seemed to be the driving force. With the 60GB plans and more, unlimited data isn't even necessary for even a family of heavy users.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of new adds. When I went into a repair store tonight to have my livepro looked at, the store was packed at almost 8pm. Several customers were switching from Verizon and the contract buyout with the huge data bucket seemed to be the driving force. With the 60GB plans and more, unlimited data isn't even necessary for even a family of heavy users.

Its a little funny that ppl weren't all that enthusiastic about unlimited data but when Sprint offers 60 GB family share pack there is lots of interest.

I guess it has a lot to do with marketing in that Sprint is using Verizon/AT&T marketing to work for them (we offer more data! even though we offered unlimited 6 months ago) 

• Like 1

I think it has more to do with people wanting a direct comparison when they shop around. So they see "unlimited" and may associate it with the AT&T or T-Mobile version of "unlimited" which means throttled data after a certain point. With a 60 GB or whatever plan they can see they get that much data. 

It seems weird but that is how some of my relatives talked about it when they moved over to Sprint a week ago (yes they did use my spreadsheet ;) ).

• Like 2

I think it has more to do with people wanting a direct comparison when they shop around. So they see "unlimited" and may associate it with the AT&T or T-Mobile version of "unlimited" which means throttled data after a certain point. With a 60 GB or whatever plan they can see they get that much data.

It seems weird but that is how some of my relatives talked about it when they moved over to Sprint a week ago (yes they did use my spreadsheet ;) ).

What are their thoughts about Sprint?

What are their thoughts about Sprint?

So far they like it because they have used more data than they did on AT&T and where they live the coverage is quite good. They have experienced a few slow spots in urban areas that they didn't really get on AT&T but overall I feel they are pretty happy with the move and the money they are saving each month. The crucial difference for them was the 25% employer discount they had at Sprint vs 10% or so at AT&T. It adds up to quite a bit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sprint's 2nd quarter results will be officially released on Monday, November 3rd. An earnings call will be held at 4:30pm ET.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sprint-corporation-schedules-second-quarter-143000928.html

A call in the evening. That's new. Always was early in the morning under Hesse. In fact, so early, that West Coast people often slept through it.

• Like 1

A call in the evening. That's new. Always was early in the morning under Hesse. In fact, so early, that West Coast people often slept through it.

Mr. Claure must be late riser. Hesse must've been one of those guys who's up at 5 am and in office by 6.