iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus User Thread

COZisBack

9 people, out of 10 million... And the whole world goes crazy.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/25/apple-responds-to-bending-issues/

Sent from my iPhone 6 on Crapatalk

The iOS 8.0.1 trainwreck was a real problem. Bendgate? Probably a few devices made with aluminum that wasn't up to standard but got through QC of Foxconn where it normally wouldn't because of the epic ramp up needed to please the hordes of idiots who camp out on the first day for a phone. :lol:

• Like 2

The iOS 8.0.1 trainwreck was a real problem. Bendgate? Probably a few devices made with aluminum that wasn't up to standard but got through QC of Foxconn where it normally wouldn't because of the epic ramp up needed to please the hordes of idiots who camp out on the first day for a phone. :lol:

Yeh, ios 8.0.1 was a mess. And the fact it was available for an hour. Apple should've immediately noticed something was wrong and been monitoring literally every form of social media possible.

• Like 1

was she trying to bend her phone? Lol. Had to. But really. How did she manage that?

I guess she thought she had it in a zipped up area in her purse, but of course it wasn't so it fell out.  I was kind of annoyed so I didn't really hear the details, but I assume it fell on its face.  She already had a few scratches on the frame from dropping it on day 2.

Oh well..  Guess we will get the screen repaired and then instantly put that thing in the thickest case possible.  I hope I find one completely made of rubber that makes it look like a mini VCR tape because it is so thick.  :D

• Like 4

Question...searched a bit but didn't find a definitive answer.  I have a 5 line ED1500 family plan.  One of my lines would like to purchase an iphone 6 but isn't upgrade eligible until July.  If I purchase a phone on easy pay, will that line still be eligible for a subsidized upgrade in July.

That is definitely a Quality Control issue.  They are probably testing a couple out of each blank batch and will need to test many more out of each batch to discover the cause.  Heck, it could be due to a shift change on the press, the material feed from the hopper to the press, or a batch of material did not meet the Rockwell grade than the spec called for.  The possibilities are many...

I guess she thought she had it in a zipped up area in her purse, but of course it wasn't so it fell out.  I was kind of annoyed so I didn't really hear the details, but I assume it fell on its face.  She already had a few scratches on the frame from dropping it on day 2.

Oh well..  Guess we will get the screen repaired and then instantly put that thing in the thickest case possible.  I hope I find one completely made of rubber that makes it look like a mini VCR tape because it is so thick.  :D

I understand your pain.  My wife drowned two i5's in six months. 

• Like 1

I don't think the bending is a quality control issue or anything to do with a bad batch of aluminum.  From the few photos I've seen, the bending is happening around the same spot which coincides with the top of the battery (check out the ifixit teardown photos).  Just a natural weak point at the edge of the battery which is probably the stiffest internal component.

• Like 2

Anyone on thoughts of the iPhone 6 versus iPhone 6+ on screen size. The more I use my wife's I realize it's great when laying on the couch but I'm not convinced it would be good for carrying around work 12 hours.

Any thoughts would be helpful

I don't think the bending is a quality control issue or anything to do with a bad batch of aluminum.  From the few photos I've seen, the bending is happening around the same spot which coincides with the top of the battery (check out the ifixit teardown photos).  Just a natural weak point at the edge of the battery which is probably the stiffest internal component.

That is true, there is a weak point in the casing.  If that was the root cause, it would also mean there would be more than nine reported cases of this happening since a fair amount of people do not take a good care of their phones as they should.  Would you throw a $1,000 laptop around or sit on one for that matter?

In addition, we do not know what the owner did to the phone causing it to bend.  If it only happened to a few and not many, I would say there is a QC issue in play.  If there were more cases reported, then I would point it to a design flaw.  Time will tell.

That is true, there is a weak point in the casing.  If that was the root cause, it would also mean there would be more than nine reported cases of this happening since a fair amount of people do not take a good care of their phones as they should.  Would you throw a $1,000 laptop around or sit on one for that matter?

In addition, we do not know what the owner did to the phone causing it to bend.  If it only happened to a few and not many, I would say there is a QC issue in play.  If there were more cases reported, then I would point it to a design flaw.  Time will tell.

Considering the few bent cases so far out of a sales firgure well over 10 million by now.. Id say this could turn out like the iPhone 5..which was reported to bend as well - but never happened for the majority.

Anyone on thoughts of the iPhone 6 versus iPhone 6+ on screen size. The more I use my wife's I realize it's great when laying on the couch but I'm not convinced it would be good for carrying around work 12 hours.

Any thoughts would be helpful

I'm using the 6 without a case and it feels so right in hand. I played with a note 3 in the store for an hour (they didn't have a plus on display and the note is quite similar in size). It's too big to comfortably operate one-handed and carry, imo. The bigger battery would have been nice, though. The 6 is a homerun in the size/feel department.

Sent from my iPhone 6

• Like 4

Looks like the iPhone 6 display review from displaymate was very positive overall - putting the iPhone 6 displays among the top of the best screens found in smartphones.

"iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have their displays reviewed, found to be ‘the best LCD ever tested

"A great screen is about more than the number of pixels, though. Apple has traditionally been very good at color reproduction, with most of its panels hitting the full 100% sRGB Color Gamut. Last year’s Retina iPad Mini was a notable exception to this, but the new iPhones are on top once again. The color accuracy is similar to the iPhone 5S and roughly 10% more accurate than the Galaxy S5′s Super AMOLED panel. In fact, the contrast ratio is even better and more consistent on Apple’s LCDs in bright ambient light than it is on Samsung’s AMOLEDs, which is unexpected."

extreme tech:

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/190675-iphone-6-and-6-plus-have-their-displays-reviewed-found-to-be-the-best-ever-tested

much more in depth-

displaymate:

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone6_ShootOut.htm

I'm using the 6 without a case and it feels so right in hand. I played with a note 3 in the store for an hour (they didn't have a plus on display and the note is quite similar in size). It's too big to comfortably operate one-handed and carry, imo. The bigger battery would have been nice, though. The 6 is a homerun in the size/feel department.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Keeping a case on this phone will be difficult. I actually love it without the case.... But I need it for when I go to the gym and run because I would DIE if it fell and didn't survive the fall...

Ugh. Iphone problems. Fortunately the neo hybrid is thin enough for my liking.

• Like 2

Looks like the iPhone 6 display review from displaymate was very positive overall - putting the iPhone 6 displays among the top of the best screens found in smartphones.

"iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have their displays reviewed, found to be ‘the best LCD ever tested

"A great screen is about more than the number of pixels, though. Apple has traditionally been very good at color reproduction, with most of its panels hitting the full 100% sRGB Color Gamut. Last year’s Retina iPad Mini was a notable exception to this, but the new iPhones are on top once again. The color accuracy is similar to the iPhone 5S and roughly 10% more accurate than the Galaxy S5′s Super AMOLED panel. In fact, the contrast ratio is even better and more consistent on Apple’s LCDs in bright ambient light than it is on Samsung’s AMOLEDs, which is unexpected."

extreme tech:

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/190675-iphone-6-and-6-plus-have-their-displays-reviewed-found-to-be-the-best-ever-tested

much more in depth-

displaymate:

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone6_ShootOut.htm

I have the 6 for my daily and work related. It plays nice with iOS 8 as well (except for 8.0.1).  The screen is a definite step up from the 5.

• Like 2

I have the 6 for my daily and work related. It plays nice with iOS 8 as well (except for 8.0.1). The screen is a definite step up from the 5.

Contrast ratio goes from 800:1 to 1400:1. I believe the results posted in that article.

Contrast ratio goes from 800:1 to 1400:1. I believe the results posted in that article.

This :

Apple is one of the few remaining manufacturers to actually provide display specifications. They specify a “typical” Brightness of 500 cd/m2 for both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus – we measured 558 cd/m2 for the iPhone 6 and 566 cd/m2 for iPhone 6 Plus, both about 12 percent greater than the typical, which is impressive because they significantly exceed it – often the reverse is true… Apple also specifies a “typical” Contrast Ratio of 1400:1 for the iPhone 6 and we measured a True Contrast Ratio of 1591:1, and a “typical” Contrast Ratio of 1300:1 for the iPhone 6 Plus and we measured a True Contrast Ratio of 1451:1, both about 13 percent greater than the typical, and also the highest True Contrast Ratios that we have ever measured for mobile LCDs. Note that the very high Dynamic Contrast Ratios claimed by some manufacturers are meaningless and pure nonsense. And for those of you thinking of Emailing that we got hand-picked units, these were purchased retail from Verizon Wireless.

• Like 2

Sent from my iPhone 6

For me the deciding factor came when I was at Best Buy buying my wife's 6. They didn't have the 6 plus but had cases for them. I took one out and tried to fit in my pocket and it didn't work out too well.

I personally can't use a phone without a case. I'm always afraid of it slipping out of my hand.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Keeping a case on this phone will be difficult. I actually love it without the case.... But I need it for when I go to the gym and run because I would DIE if it fell and didn't survive the fall...

Ugh. Iphone problems. Fortunately the neo hybrid is thin enough for my liking.

I bought a case when I got the phone but only had it on for like an hour. No drops yet..

And I actually did crash and burn with my old Galaxy SIII when running on the treadmill. Needless to say it did not survive the fall..

Sent from my iPhone 6 on the Now Network

• Like 2

I bought a case when I got the phone but only had it on for like an hour. No drops yet..

And I actually did crash and burn with my old Galaxy SIII when running on the treadmill. Needless to say it did not survive the fall..

Sent from my iPhone 6 on the Now Network

Same here. I got the typical sprint store upcharge price. 34.95 case that I probably could have got online for half. I think it was a casemate. It's super thin and clear. Got home and ripped it off. I have insurance, and I'm tired of covering these gorgeous Apple devices with cheap plastic.

Sent from my iPhone 6

• Like 1