Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Here are some news for those living near the Mexican border without 800 MHz/B26.

At&t has paid IFETEL (Mexico's version of the FCC) for 800Mhz spectrum that Nextel never owned in a few parts of the country. The areas are mostly in central Mexico but one area that stands out is Nuevo Leon (which shares a tiny border with South Texas). Part of the deal requires At&t to begin reshuffling the Nextel spectrum they already owned and pair it with the newly acquired licenses almost immediately (Nextel iDen is still in operation down there). At&t must relocate their iDen operations within 270 days in central Mexico and 180 days in Nuevo Leon to their new 814-824 & 859-869 Mhz assignment. I don't know if this is a sign of urgency or not by the IFETEL for the border, but its definitely a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, this reshuffling requirement is only for the areas where at&t acquired more spectrum. The entire 800 MHz band reshuffling is still expected to conclude around late 2019-early 2020 in Mexico. So San Diego, El Paso, Nogales, and the Rio Grande Valley still have a few years to go before B26 if all goes as planned.

• Like 2

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/857020888704851972

haha this is hilarious! Can't wait for the earnings call on Wednesday.

There's more where that came from:

Marcelo calls out AT&T:

"COME ON @ATT THIS ACTUALLY BEATS FAKE NEWS. CALLING LTE 5G"

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/857112319419133952

Marcelo calls out Verizon:

"Hey big mouth @JNels what happened last quarter ? Your company @Verizon lost 307k postpaid and 17k prepaid customers :) #goingdown"

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/857059800110309376

I think we're going to see some good numbers!!!

• Like 3

Tmobile is thinking about 4G LTE, while the others have their sight on 5G. 600mhz is 4G spectrum, even if you light up a town of 5,000 with one 15x15 or 20x20 60mhz you will have to go back to the tower to add capacity.

Neville has turned into a little arrogant Pr$ck. I understand that you need to be confident but the way he was bashing Verizon yesterday it was pathetic. He needs to be reminded that big red stills has a lot of $$$$. 

The purpose of 600 MHz is to help expand their native footprint as well as to achieve parity in low band spectrum to have the raw resources to compete with the big 2 on coverage that can be built out.  This is a good thing because we need more carriers that can expand their native footprint.  I don't think Tmobile was trying to tout that the 600 MHz spectrum is the most ideal for 5G services.  All the national 4 carriers are going to add small cells to their network so that should help with relieving capacity so I don't think that is a big worry.  I think it would have been a different story if Tmobile had no ambitions to add any small cells to their network.

Actually I don't think Neville was bashing too much on Verizon compared to Legere.  I personally don't have a problem with either one of them since it is just friendly banter and the industry already knows about Legere's demeanor so its not like its anything new.  I don't expect Verizon management to take any of those words to heart and start some war on words.  I think Tmobile is fully aware that Verizon is still a powerhouse and still needs to do a lot in order to keep this trajectory.

• Like 2

There's more where that came from:

Marcelo calls out AT&T:

"COME ON @ATT THIS ACTUALLY BEATS FAKE NEWS. CALLING LTE 5G"

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/857112319419133952

Marcelo calls out Verizon:

"Hey big mouth @JNels what happened last quarter ? Your company @Verizon lost 307k postpaid and 17k prepaid customers :) #goingdown"

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/857059800110309376

I think we're going to see some good numbers!!!

Yea. It sounds like it.

• Like 1

Here are some news for those living near the Mexican border without 800 MHz/B26.

At&t has paid IFETEL (Mexico's version of the FCC) for 800Mhz spectrum that Nextel never owned in a few parts of the country. The areas are mostly in central Mexico but one area that stands out is Nuevo Leon (which shares a tiny border with South Texas). Part of the deal requires At&t to begin reshuffling the Nextel spectrum they already owned and pair it with the newly acquired licenses almost immediately (Nextel iDen is still in operation down there). At&t must relocate their iDen operations within 270 days in central Mexico and 180 days in Nuevo Leon to their new 814-824 & 859-869 Mhz assignment. I don't know if this is a sign of urgency or not by the IFETEL for the border, but its definitely a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, this reshuffling requirement is only for the areas where at&t acquired more spectrum. The entire 800 MHz band reshuffling is still expected to conclude around late 2019-early 2020 in Mexico. So San Diego, El Paso, Nogales, and the Rio Grande Valley still have a few years to go before B26 if all goes as planned.

2020 is fine... cause at this rate, Sprint doesn't have the monetary resources to do anything with that spectrum.      Article on news wire yesterday just said Softbank is looking at options to sell some (a nice size chunk)  of the 2500MHz spectrum to possible reduce Sprint's debt.  Here in Great Lakes IBEZ areas... things are clear with FCC... but network is being updated extremely slowly.   

The purpose of 600 MHz is to help expand their native footprint as well as to achieve parity in low band spectrum to have the raw resources to compete with the big 2 on coverage that can be built out. This is a good thing because we need more carriers that can expand their native footprint. I don't think Tmobile was trying to tout that the 600 MHz spectrum is the most ideal for 5G services. All the national 4 carriers are going to add small cells to their network so that should help with relieving capacity so I don't think that is a big worry. I think it would have been a different story if Tmobile had no ambitions to add any small cells to their network.

Actually I don't think Neville was bashing too much on Verizon compared to Legere. I personally don't have a problem with either one of them since it is just friendly banter and the industry already knows about Legere's demeanor so its not like its anything new. I don't expect Verizon management to take any of those words to heart and start some war on words. I think Tmobile is fully aware that Verizon is still a powerhouse and still needs to do a lot in order to keep this trajectory.

I'm still very skeptical/doubtful on a Sprint/T-Mobile merger, though one thing I've found interesting lately is the lack of attacks between the two companies recently, no back and forth Twitter matches between Claure and Legere either.

I'm still very skeptical/doubtful on a Sprint/T-Mobile merger, though one thing I've found interesting lately is the lack of attacks between the two companies recently, no back and forth Twitter matches between Claure and Legere either.

Really there's no need to attack each other. The customers they want are from the big 2. That's where Sprint and T-Mobile will get their customer adds.
  • Like 1

Yeah that is weird, maybe they're secretly in talks.

• Like 2

T-Mobile is using Metro PCS to attack Sprint. It's like a Triopoly happening now and then Sprint.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Sprint should have been allowed to merge with Tmobile. Now it is hard to see where they go from here. I can't even think of a good reason to select them over any of the other carriers.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sprint should have been allowed to merge with Tmobile. Now it is hard to see where they go from here. I can't even think of a good reason to select them over any of the other carriers.

I'm not going to lie, I switched off to Verizon when their unlimited plan came back from dead. After using it for about 2 months, the service wasn't no different as what I had with Sprint. If anything Verizon was slightly faster. I went out of town to Nashville and rode down 71 and 65 south and Sprint and Verizon were on par with each other. So I just decided to switch back and get my old plan that I had. Luckily I was within the window where I could reactivate my account.

That's to say a lot of people are starting to see that both Sprint and T-Mobile fit their needs (hence VZ and ATT loss in customers) in the places their go and frequentSure they may lack in some areas but overall they give people what they need for where they're at most. I thought Verizon was going to amazing but it wasn't what I expected especially with Sprint being ranked number 2 in my city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

I'm not going to lie, I switched off to Verizon when their unlimited plan came back from dead. After using it for about 2 months, the service wasn't no different as what I had with Sprint. If anything Verizon was slightly faster. I went out of town to Nashville and rode down 71 and 65 south and Sprint and Verizon were on par with each other. So I just decided to switch back and get my old plan that I had. Luckily I was within the window where I could reactivate my account.

That's to say a lot of people are starting to see that both Sprint and T-Mobile fit their needs (hence VZ and ATT loss in customers) in the places their go and frequentSure they may lack in some areas but overall they give people what they need for where they're at most. I thought Verizon was going to amazing but it wasn't what I expected especially with Sprint being ranked number 2 in my city.

We are the same as vzw where we have service and priced the same isn't really a good selling point. Vzw has service in more places. I am trying to think of a reason a general consumer who choose sprint over anyother carrier. I think the "it works for me campaign" is a perfect example of what i am talking about. What does that even mean?

T-Mobile is using Metro PCS to attack Sprint. It's like a Triopoly happening now and then Sprint.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

They're doing that because they can't compete on price with their T-Mobile brand, only via MetroPCS. Sprint still offers more value than MetroPCS with their high tethering cap, international data, and HD streaming included.

• Like 2

We are the same as vzw where we have service and priced the same isn't really a good selling point. Vzw has service in more places. I am trying to think of a reason a general consumer who choose sprint over anyother carrier. I think the "it works for me campaign" is a perfect example of what i am talking about. What does that even mean?

That's never a good reason. Lucky for me I'm in a good Sprint market. Now if this was circa 2012 and Verizon came with unlimited I think it would have really hurt Sprint. Overall they are stable but it could be better. Tomorrow is going to be very eventful. If Sprint has anything to announce will they do it tomorrow or just wait until their earnings call.

They're doing that because they can't compete on price with their T-Mobile brand, only via MetroPCS. Sprint still offers more value than MetroPCS with their high tethering cap, international data, and HD streaming included.

I see, but it still seems shady though. It's like they are trying to demote or make Sprint look like a Prepaid service.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I see, but it still seems shady though. It's like they are trying to demote or make Sprint look like a Prepaid service.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Tmo can market anything they want. It's how Sprint responds to this or even needs to respond to this on their postpaid side. If a customer is leaving for prepaid, they are not meant to be postpaid customers (low quality - for a lack of a better word) to begin with.  Sprint has responded by using Boost to attack MetroPCS.  Also, Tmo prepaid's growth has declined dramatically this quarter compared to last year. It's a telling story that Metro's prepaid strategy is not working on Sprint.  The icing on the cake could be next week, if Sprint is positive on prepaid then I would call Tmo's strategy a bust.  

• Like 1

While Sprint offers all those things, MetroPCS offers a larger native network, better unlocked phone support, and simultaneous voice & data. All those things are likely more important to budget users than international roaming or HD streaming.

• Like 1

While Sprint offers all those things, MetroPCS offers a larger native network, better unlocked phone support, and simultaneous voice & data. All those things are likely more important to budget users than international roaming or HD streaming.

That's the thing, while native footprint might be slightly larger, sprint has more robust roaming agreements plus way better voice coverage natively.

Plus ability to finance and get deals on devices.

At the end of the day, they are targeted at different audiences.

• Like 5

That's never a good reason. Lucky for me I'm in a good Sprint market. Now if this was circa 2012 and Verizon came with unlimited I think it would have really hurt Sprint. Overall they are stable but it could be better. Tomorrow is going to be very eventful. If Sprint has anything to announce will they do it tomorrow or just wait until their earnings call.

But one thing that still hurts for a lot of "road" warriors is the lack of simultaneous voice and data. Verizon can offer this through voLTE. It is a must have for a lot of people now. Especially when you are traveling and on a conference call where files might be sent to you. Sprint really needs to focus on having a seamless LTE experience to transition to voLTE. I am very impressed by how much progress has been made on a skeleton CAPEX budget.

• Like 2

That's the thing, while native footprint might be slightly larger,

Slightly larger? You're underestimating the LTE expansion T-Mobile is currently undertaking. "Slightly" is an understatement in 2017.

sprint has more robust roaming agreements plus way better voice coverage natively.

Roaming agreements don't mean anything nowadays. 100 MB of roaming will dry up quick what we do with our phones today. Native coverage is more important than roaming.

And better voice coverage? No. T-Mobile wins that one. Sprint definitely wins reliability, but not coverage.

Plus ability to finance and get deals on devices.

Why finance when you can bring your current phone? Or better yet, bring almost any cheap, mid-range, or luxury phone to MetroPCS. If you're with At&t or Verizon, chances are your phone will not work with Sprint but it will with MetroPCS.

There's a reason MetroPCS has seen success ever since they started going after the Sprint brand. People may not get the convenience of HD video or hotspot with MetroPCS. But for the savings and hassle free switching, it's winning a few people over.

• Like 1