Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

verizon bid nothing for 600Mhz but now willing to plow almost 2 billions for high band.  So I guess verizon, sprint and att have the same perspective about 5G but tmobile seems to take a different path.  who is right and who is wrong? only time can tell.

Neville Ray made some interesting comments on Sprint's 2.5 GHz Spectrum and HPUE during T-Mobile's Earnings Call:

Ray was also asked to give his opinion of 2.5 GHz spectrum, which is what Sprint has a treasure trove of—and Sprint happens to be an oft-cited potential merger or acquisition target with T-Mobile. Ray steered clear of that talk specifically but said the biggest news around 2.5 GHz these days is High Performance User Equipment (HPUE), a phone-based technology.

Sprint has described HPUE as a breakthrough innovation with the ability to extend its 2.5 GHz coverage by up to 30%, including indoors. The LG G6 is the first device to be enabled with HPUE technology.

Ray said he’s seen discussions about how HPUE sort of levels the playing field between 2.5 and the more valuable, with greater propagation, spectrum in midband, and he doesn’t buy that 2.5 is the “new low-band” for 5G, which is going to be in all bands—low, mid and high.

"I’m sure they’re doing some work in optimizing. I think HPUE has some benefits for them but I think it’s going to be a far cry from leveling the playing field with midband spectrum,” he said.

That said, there is a lot of 2.5 GHz spectrum “inside that company,” and clearly it has usefulness for capacity. “I think HPUE helps. We haven’t seen the results yet that would make us hugely excited about comparable values with midband, but we’ll wait to see more,” he said.

Is John Saw right that 2.5 GHz is the new low band for 5G?:

“The cornerstone of 5G will be massively dense networks that use high-bandwidth spectrum to deliver vast amounts of data at tremendously high speeds,” said Dr. John Saw, Sprint CTO. “Our 2.5 GHz spectrum is the low-band spectrum of 5G. And with holdings of more than 160 MHz of 2.5 GHz spectrum in the top 100 U.S. markets, we hold more 5G-capable spectrum than any other carrier. This gives us great confidence in our position for 5G.”

or is Neville Ray right that it's not?

• Like 1

Time will tell. It is a bet and a little bit of propaganda on both sides to back their bets.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This is where I side with Sprint, regardless of whatever T-Mobile executives, employees, and fans have to say negatively regarding Sprint's band 41 distance issues or whatever.

I'm a big supporter of the idea having a vast amount of one particular spectrum band versus lots of spectrum scattered about, such as how AT&T's wireless network is made up of a bunch of 10x10 spectrum. That is only good with carrier aggregation, though I highly doubt its as useful as Sprint's huge 120mhz amount of band 41 and its carrier aggregation within that band of spectrum.

While I've stated here many times about my understanding of why Masayoshi Son prefers the idea of spending on a merger between Sprint and T-Mobile, instead of spending on densification of Sprint's network, I have trouble understanding why he thinks this has such a strong chance at happening and why bother with the mess of integrating the two differing networks, if he was able to get the merger to go through.

Ultimately, there are very good reasons to densify the network instead of a merger, along with deploying the spectrum completely, especially as accelerating this process would be the quickest and possibly the best way of showing Sprint's strength, which is their band 41 spectrum. Forget HPUE or whatever distance issue alleviating technology may come about. If Softbank would invest the billions of dollars they'd need to buy T-Mobile on densification instead, Sprint would be the strongest wireless carrier in the U.S., and very difficult to beat.

Sprint is absolutely right to say that band 41 is beachfront spectrum for 5G, which if Sprint would deploy and densify, they could make band 41 as good as AWS, but with mega capacity and speed to match.

• Like 1

It is still cheaper after 2 years with Tmobile when accounting for the entire length of 2 year of service. Taxes can vary by state. Tmobile charges $5/line for the hotspot. So even with taxes, you could be paying less for 5 lines of service anywhere with Sprint.

Not long term savings.

Besides, the type of customers that are attracted by these offers are the same that will leave when they see a better offer, especially when the regular price kicks in. A 10 dollar difference from Verizon is not competitive once the deal runs out.

• Like 1

verizon bid nothing for 600Mhz but now willing to plow almost 2 billions for high band.  So I guess verizon, sprint and att have the same perspective about 5G but tmobile seems to take a different path.  who is right and who is wrong? only time can tell.

Tmobile is thinking about 4G LTE, while the others have their sight on 5G. 600mhz is 4G spectrum, even if you light up a town of 5,000 with one 15x15 or 20x20 60mhz you will have to go back to the tower to add capacity.

Neville has turned into a little arrogant Pr$ck. I understand that you need to be confident but the way he was bashing Verizon yesterday it was pathetic. He needs to be reminded that big red stills has a lot of $$$$. 

Is this a 4rd B41 carrier in Atlanta Georgia?7a841ce549f9229312137b31d71a9584.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Small cell.

Look at the PCI. Small cell PCIs are way up there.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Is this a 4rd B41 carrier in Atlanta Georgia?

Nevermind it's not

Not sure what you're asking, and might be better placed in the Atlanta thread.

I don't have access to my computer while I'm out of town. Little hard to do that as I CANT find ever forum on my phone.

Not long term savings.

Besides, the type of customers that are attracted by these offers are the same that will leave when they see a better offer, especially when the regular price kicks in. A 10 dollar difference from Verizon is not competitive once the deal runs out.

New plans come out monthly, if not daily, most people who are cost conscious will change or jump to a cheaper plan when it's available.  You can save hundreds, over a 2 year period.  Even if you hold on to the plan for the 3rd year, you still not paying more with Sprint than Tmobile considering the 3 year period. 

Sprint used to be in severe disadvantage in term of costs compared to Tmobile mainly larger debt loads and roaming expense. But after this auction, their debt levels are very similar.  So I doubt Tmobile will be able to undercut Sprint in term of price.  

• Like 1

You can save hundreds, over a 2 year period. Even if you hold on to the plan for the 3rd year, you still not paying more with Sprint than Tmobile considering the 3 year period.

Or those cost conscious customers could leave once Sprint's promotional offer ends and continue to save money again with T-Mobile.

These promotional offers by Sprint are only for new customers, so even if a new promotion arises, they aren't available to those who are always switching around. I just don't buy what Sprint is trying to do with promotional offers. They are a small term solution to subscriber numbers, but not a long term solution.

Fix the network, and the rest will straighten itself out.

• Like 4

Or those cost conscious customers could leave once Sprint's promotional offer ends and continue to save money again with T-Mobile.

These promotional offers by Sprint are only for new customers, so even if a new promotion arises, they aren't available to those who are always switching around. I just don't buy what Sprint is trying to do with promotional offers. They are a small term solution to subscriber numbers, but not a long term solution.

Fix the network, and the rest will straighten itself out.

Only if the cost is lower, and I don't see that now, or even after the promotion ends in a year. 

Only if the cost is lower, and I don't see that now, or even after the promotion ends in a year.

T-Mobile is cheaper after promotional offer.

After promotion, 5 lines with Sprint is 190+taxes vs Tmobile which is 180 w/taxes included. (Both after autopay discount).

The best spectrum is the spectrum you have available.

- says everybody

• Like 5