Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Marcelo needs to beat it for me not to consider the switch. I have lost most of my loyalty and patience waiting for upgrades here for over 10 years. Sitting here in my shop, roaming on Verizon unless I go outdoors for Spring 3G. LTE is very spotty and almost non existent still.

My problem isn't roaming, but densification. B25 and B26 are all overloaded and I could throw a rock farther than what B41 reaches.

Sprint has talked about small cells but Verizon IS small cells. Verizon has already deployed a healthy amount of small cells all over Houston while Sprint only deployed in areas for the benefit of the Super Bowl. Verizon is going all out.

Spare me the CAPEX argument, but it's obvious Sprint is hurting financially. If Sprint had spent the money it needed to spend, it would have had small cells in more places than it does today. There's absolutely no excuse for Verizon having more small cells and Sprint falling behind. We can no longer blame backhaul, Network Vision, or local city permits as the reason for Sprint being so slow.

• Like 10

Many people have mentioned this? That's a bit of a stretch. There has been speculation, but no one has said anything about actually reducing Capex this year, that was last year....

It isn't that much of a stretch when you consider doing a search for "Capex" under this forum and thread specifically, brings about a couple of pages highlighting the search term from posts made within the past few months. Certainly not from "last year".

It isn't that much of a stretch when you consider doing a search for "Capex" under this forum and thread specifically, brings about a couple of pages highlighting the search term from posts made within the past few months. Certainly not from "last year".

The change is for fiscal year 2016.

• Like 1

My problem isn't roaming, but densification. B25 and B26 are all overloaded and I could throw a rock farther than what B41 reaches.

Sprint has talked about small cells but Verizon IS small cells. Verizon has already deployed a healthy amount of small cells all over Houston while Sprint only deployed in areas for the benefit of the Super Bowl. Verizon is going all out.

Spare me the CAPEX argument, but it's obvious Sprint is hurting financially. If Sprint had spent the money it needed to spend, it would have had small cells in more places than it does today. There's absolutely no excuse for Verizon having more small cells and Sprint falling behind. We can no longer blame backhaul, Network Vision, or local city permits as the reason for Sprint being so slow.

Exactly!

Not to leave out the money being spent by Softbank on other businesses, instead of Sprint. Of course also my suspicions they are saving money for a T-Mobile merger attempt.

They did two weeks ago. That isn't good enough?

Unless I'm misreading it: http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-lowers-capex-guidance-again-raising-concerns-over-network

More needs to be said:

"“While Sprint is uniquely positioned to operate in a lower capital intensity as a result of our LTE foundation and our deep spectrum position, we do expect capex to accelerate in the fourth quarter and into 2017 as part of our densification program,” Robbiati said."

I think more Investor/Customer confidence is needed here. It just doesn't seem like enough is happening in light of the Verizon announcement.

Sprint is at risk of finding itself as the most expensive carrier again for Unlimited Plans with HD Streaming.

In fact, the numbers show that for 5 Unlimited Freedom Premium lines with HD Streaming and 5GB of Hotspot per line, Sprint is $290/month (with AutoPay). Verizon Unlimited with HD Streaming and 10GB of Hotspot per line is $200/Month (with AutoPay).

Unless I'm misreading it: http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-lowers-capex-guidance-again-raising-concerns-over-network

More needs to be said:

"“While Sprint is uniquely positioned to operate in a lower capital intensity as a result of our LTE foundation and our deep spectrum position, we do expect capex to accelerate in the fourth quarter and into 2017 as part of our densification program,” Robbiati said."

Not really. Read the last paragraph. It states Sprint expects CAPEX to accelerate in Q4 and into 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Not really. Read the last paragraph. It states Sprint expects CAPEX to accelerate in Q4 and into 2017.

The next Quarterly Report will be indicative of the trend line.

• Like 1

I am sure its nice to respond with discount promotions, but the thing is Verizon got the network and Unlimited data for 80 dollars is a big deal.

Yes. And Sprint needs to offer the same at $60/month.

If they want to continue to run with their all networks are basically similar theme that they have been touting for the last several months and give people confidence that they (Sprint) believe that (and in turn believe in the product they are selling), they don't need to go to $60/month, match the terms and offer it at $70 or $75 a month.

And keep investing in the network....

• Like 1

Not only that but Verizon has low band aggregated too which helps speed indoors unlike band 41.

Terrell, if you can find a list of spectrum both AT&T and Verizon has in total in all bands for Chicago and other areas, I'd appreciate it. Just please nothing from the FCC database, as its difficult to read exactly what I want to know precisely. Might be good if you can find Florida's spectrum too. I know I'd like to compile a list of spectrum here on S4GRU someday, as I believe this is very important.

Especially too when I mention mergers, because I want to be correct when I compare spectrum holdings. I believe this is more important than how many customers a carrier has or doesn't have, as customers can generally easily switch carriers nowadays. This is the mistake Softbank is making in thinking that a purchase of T-Mobile will guarantee them all those extra T-Mobile customers, since they could just end up leaving. It could end up being much more costly ad not as worthwhile in value than to just continue developing the network. Sprint has the spectrum to do this with, so now it maaters where Sprint spends its money.

• Like 1

Terrell, if you can find a list of spectrum both AT&T and Verizon has in total in all bands for Chicago and other areas, I'd appreciate it. Just please nothing from the FCC database, as its difficult to read exactly what I want to know precisely. Might be good if you can find Florida's spectrum too. I know I'd like to compile a list of spectrum here on S4GRU someday, as I believe this is very important.

Especially too when I mention mergers, because I want to be correct when I compare spectrum holdings. I believe this is more important than how many customers a carrier has or doesn't have, as customers can generally easily switch carriers nowadays. This is the mistake Softbank is making in thinking that a purchase of T-Mobile will guarantee them all those extra T-Mobile customers, since they could just end up leaving. It could end up being much more costly ad not as worthwhile in value than to just continue developing the network. Sprint has the spectrum to do this with, so now it maaters where Sprint spends its money.

See here:

http://specmap.sequence-omega.net

• Like 1

Oh wow, that site finally is working for me now! I have seen it in the past, but couldn't get it to work for whatever reason on my computer and Android. Perhaps they fixed the site, or it my mother's Lumia that is making this work. Either way, looks great! I'll try compiling a short list on S4GRU from this soon. Thank you!

• Like 1

Okay, one question here pertaining to the spectrum site, as I want to make sure I'm understanding this site correctly. In the past, I had seen some article which mentioned Verizon having a 20x20 AWS network here in Chicago, obviously meaning 20mhz down and 20mhz up. However, when I highlight certain spectrum bands searching under the carrier option for Verizon in the Chicago area, here are the results :

It is showing red for 1710-1720 and 1720-1730, which I take to mean 20mhz. But then in the same categories showing red for that spectrum, also lists additional spectrum for 2110-2120 and 2120-2130. I know that AWS is considered 1700/2100, I just want to make sure I know how to read this properly. I also found red in the areas of 1735-1740/2135-2140, 1740-1745/2140-2145, and then 1745-1755/2145-2155. This indicates two separate areas of 20mhz spectrum, but I figured the uplink was in the 2100 range, while the downlink was in the 1700 range. Am I misunderstanding this?

Okay, one question here pertaining to the spectrum site, as I want to make sure I'm understanding this site correctly. In the past, I had seen some article which mentioned Verizon having a 20x20 AWS network here in Chicago, obviously meaning 20mhz down and 20mhz up. However, when I highlight certain spectrum bands searching under the carrier option for Verizon in the Chicago area, here are the results :

It is showing red for 1710-1720 and 1720-1730, which I take to mean 20mhz. But then in the same categories showing red for that spectrum, also lists additional spectrum for 2110-2120 and 2120-2130. I know that AWS is considered 1700/2100, I just want to make sure I know how to read this properly. I also found red in the areas of 1735-1740/2135-2140, 1740-1745/2140-2145, and then 1745-1755/2145-2155. This indicates two separate areas of 20mhz spectrum, but I figured the uplink was in the 2100 range, while the downlink was in the 1700 range. Am I misunderstanding this?

Downlink is actually in the 2100 range and uplink is in the 1700 range. I haven't looked at the map myself, but what you are saying does make it sound like VZW has more than a single 20x20 AWS channel.

• Like 1

Marcelo is offering 5 lines for 90 dollars ... that's 18 dollars a line .. how much lower will sprint go.. if sprint makes this plan permanent it will hurry their bottom line big time

I think They have to beat VZW price by 25-30 percent. That would be five lines for 150. It sucks but sprint product is simply not as good in most places.

• Like 3

I think They have to beat VZW price by 25-30 percent. That would be five lines for 150. It sucks but sprint product is simply not as good in most places.

But their current promo is better then T-mobiles and Verizon.. if Marcelo came out and said 5 lines 90 bucks unlimited HD steaming 20GB hotspot and up prioritization to 32 GB. A plan like that would make noise... if he wants to get funky

• Like 2

But their current promo is better then T-mobiles and Verizon.. if Marcelo came out and said 5 lines 90 bucks unlimited HD steaming 20GB hotspot and up prioritization to 32 GB. A plan like that would make noise... if he wants to get funky

What you are missing is that is for new customers and not for existing ones. It is cheaper to keep customers that to acquire them.

Look, I think the merger should have been allowed a couple of years ago. It seems like this is a three national carrier market. Sprint has wonderful assets but lacks the scale and funds to deploy them. They won't be able to gain traction until they can go to the consumer and give a reason other than price to use them. Can you think of one? Because I can't? They have the potential to make it speed but that requires putting all of their 2.5 assets on air ( I don't know why they haven't don't this since it is just software) and densifying. They need money to do that and they don't have it.

• Like 2

What you are missing is that is for new customers and not for existing ones. It is cheaper to keep customers that to acquire them.

Look, I think the merger should have been allowed a couple of years ago. It seems like this is a three national carrier market. Sprint has wonderful assets but lacks the scale and funds to deploy them. They won't be able to gain traction until they can go to the consumer and give a reason other than price to use them. Can you think of one? Because I can't? They have the potential to make it speed but that requires putting all of their 2.5 assets on air ( I don't know why they haven't don't this since it is just software) and densifying. They need money to do that and they don't have it.

I can't... certain markets they may have a case... for the price and value should anyone really be complaining... I'm giving you service at the best value possible and people switched cause they wanted to save money.. that's it, it wasn't the network it wasn't anything... it was the value and price.. people that had Verizon and switched. They said "hey hunny that's a good price / deal let's switch"... I'm sure not once anyone said " hey hunny sprint has a great fast nationwide network let's switch " lol

• Like 2

And just think, up until last week. Verizon was kicking grandfathered unlimited plan users off the network if they didn't tow the line and switch over to a tiered data plan. Plus kept jacking up there prices. There is going to be a gotcha in there somewhere. Oh by the way, It isn't going to be a contract plan so guess what, terms can change at the drop of a hat. Knowing Verizon, I wouldn't put it past them.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1