Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Sprint needs to adjust its pricing and offering to match Verizon on hotspot and remove the 480p cap, put it at 720p for HD and still can keep the price at 60 for the first line, 40 for the second line etc.

The problem is Verizon's pricing is really competitive and Verizon is way more trusted than Sprint is. No matter what type of pricing they use at Sprint, at the value Verizon just pulled Sprint needs better LTE consistency to make it worth while.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Sprint needs to adjust its pricing and offering to match Verizon on hotspot and remove the 480p cap, put it at 720p for HD and still can keep the price at 60 for the first line, 40 for the second line etc.

I don't know if that's enough. It might not be.

• Like 1

I thought there was going to be some catches to the unlimited plan with Verizon but for one user it's a pretty good deal with all you get. I have the unlimited my way plan and moving to Verizon I won't see much of a increase in bill. With a device or not it'll be a $5 not factoring tax.

If I add in the loyalty credit of $10 then we are looking at a $15 dollar diff. Overall still not bad. I'm really tempted simply due to my service at my home is has gotten bad. I called for a 5th time and there's a ticket opened. If it's something they can't fix then I'll just leave for Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Good timing by Verizon, especially as many Sprint customers are "stranded" by the end of 2-year pricing. Makes switching to Verizon look very, very appealing since nothing is holding us back now

Verizon timed this move very well. Can its network actually sustain Unlimited?

I'm a shareholder and believer in Sprint's turnaround, but Masa needs to kick in for CapEx and Marcelo needs to adjust prices to compete.

I'm very concerned about an uptick in churn this quarter.

• Like 2

I don't know if that's enough. It might not be.

that's a lot of money saved per year.  Rural is still a struggle for Sprint, but if you don't live or travel to rural area, 20 bucks a month or 240 a year per line might very well be worth it. 

since verizons website chokes when i add the plan to my cart with a BYOD, do the line access fees go away for someone who brings their own device?  Seems the plan is actually $65 plus whatever the phone cost is.  i tried adding the plan with my old nexus 5x and the cart will not work. 

In Northeastern PA, we have a lot of rural areas and a struggle for all cell carriers to cover. Verizon is definitely #1 and AT&T ranks #2. Sprint and T-mobile both lack any type of usable service in these areas. This past Friday I was at a Sprint store activating a phone and the local network guy was in there sharing some details about planned work in Central PA market. He said Sprint approved the most money and man power he has ever seen them do to extend coverage to areas that don't have coverage currently. So hopefully Sprint is already starting to expand and we just haven't heard much about it.

• Like 6

that's a lot of money saved per year.  Rural is still a struggle for Sprint, but if you don't live or travel to rural area, 20 bucks a month or 240 a year per line might very well be worth it. 

Ironically, it's Sprint's roaming agreement with US Cellular which keeps me on Sprint.  Verizon and AT&T have no service in the place I need it.

I'm definitely not typical though.  For Sprint, this is probably going to hurt.

- Trip

• Like 3

This is definitely going to hurt. Sprint lacks decent service through out the U.S. it might have a very few markets with decent coverage, but they lack what Big Red has. Good luck to Sprint and Tmo

Sent From My HTC10

• Like 1

Just told walked a coworker through switching to the unlimited plan. He has Verizon and will save close to $30 a month with this new plan! He tried calling because he is old school, but the time to reach an agent would have been way too long. Chat on the website is also down. He was able to switch easily from the website. But I must say they have to be swamped at Verizon. Hopefully Sprint responds an responds quickly. I have Verizon FiOS at home, which I absolutely love, so I would definitely consider switching. Never thought I would say that, since I hated Big Red wireless for price gouging. It would be nice though to just have one bill cover all telecommunications as well for me.

• Like 1

Just told walked a coworker through switching to the unlimited plan. He has Verizon and will save close to $30 a month with this new plan! He tried calling because he is old school, but the time to reach an agent would have been way too long. Chat on the website is also down. He was able to switch easily from the website. But I must say they have to be swamped at Verizon. Hopefully Sprint responds an responds quickly. I have Verizon FiOS at home, which I absolutely love, so I would definitely consider switching. Never thought I would say that, since I hated Big Red wireless for price gouging. It would be nice though to just have one bill cover all telecommunications as well for me.

Sprint's response needs to be for all customers. Not just new ones, and I'm concerned that's what we've seen from Marcelo so far. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt they're devising a response... I certainly hope so. I don't care about TIDAL Exclusives at this point.

Heck, look at Legere's Twitter feed as well. He's not sure what to say... or do. Seriously, look at his replies/retweets. He's got nothing. "Slow Cooker Sunday" has turned into "Fire Pit Monday".... and no one's talking about how great T-Mobile Tuesday's are.

• Like 4

Ironically, it's Sprint's roaming agreement with US Cellular which keeps me on Sprint.  Verizon and AT&T have no service in the place I need it.

I'm definitely not typical though.  For Sprint, this is probably going to hurt.

- Trip

Yep, I was in New Hampshire and Maine last fall.  Got into some very rural areas. US Cellular was there and it really saved me for about a week as I traveled around.  I never got a bill for any of the usage on US Cellular.

• Like 2

Sprint's response needs to be for all customers. Not just new ones, and I'm concerned that's what we've seen from Marcelo so far. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt they're devising a response... I certainly hope so. I don't care about TIDAL Exclusives at this point.

Heck, look at Legere's Twitter feed as well. He's not sure what to say... or do. Seriously, look at his replies/retweets. He's got nothing. "Slow Cooker Sunday" has turned into "Fire Pit Monday".... and no one's talking about how great T-Mobile Tuesday's are.

It's true. He tried to spin it off as Verizon still charges more, but then his customers sounded off. There are a ton of people posting about how bad T-Mobile is along major western interstates. Will have to see how Sprint and T-Mobile respond. They cannot really decrease prices much without hurting the bottom line even more. This move by Verizon was strategic and will definitely increase churn this quarter. Maybe Sprint can bring back their cheaper iPhone lease. I have a 64gb iPhone 6s from $19 and change per month through September from Sprint. Current prices are not as competitive, especially for the middle storage tier and higher.

• Like 4

How many people are on your Framily? Sprint has really locked down the Framily eligibility rules.

For comparison, Verizon hits $45/month pricing with 4 lines. On Sprint Framily, you need to have to have 7-10 lines to match... and that gets harder to do as the rules get more strict.

Legere is still shell shocked by Verizon's move in my opinion. Look at his Twitter. He just can't come up with a coherent response.

Marcelo on the other hand hasn't responded on Twitter except by referring to new customer pricing.... which makes me nervous. We'll see.

• Like 2

Verizon's deal was bound to happen but what can Sprint do? Not much, it would need billions and a decade to match Verizon. I think a merger of cableco or other wireless companies is in the future.

I'm still on Framily and $45 for unlimited. Don't need hotspot so I'm staying where I'm at for now.

My case is different. I have 3 lines on Framily but I need hotspot, faster speeds and especially VoLTE (Simultaneous talk and data) I dont really need the added coverage but I'll take it. Verizon has every tower in my city with band 2(10×10),band 4 (20×20) and 13(10×10). vs Sprint band 25(5×5), band 26(5x5), and one band 41(60mhz) 8t8r site in the whole county. There is no comparison in how much more Verizon is here.
  • Like 4

Verizon's deal was bound to happen but what can Sprint do? Not much, it would need billions and a decade to match Verizon. I think a merger of cableco or other wireless companies is in the future.

SoftBank spent +$31 Billion on ARM. (http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/5/12798302/softbank-arm-acquisition-complete)

Oh well. Should have seen it coming with Son pinching pennies on Sprint.

I'd like Sprint to at least announce an intent on a merger with T-Mobile, despite that I agree with those here wanting Sprint not to focus on a merger, because an attempt I believe will get AT&T to try again for T-Mobile, which if happens, Sprint should back off and work on network deployment. They could easily be the best with the spectrum they have, if only located on all existing towers, then plan to develop more.

AT&T has burned through metric tons of capital to buy out DirecTV, Iucasell, Nextel Mexico, and Time Warner. They're running a whole boatload of debt right now. Then you have the fact the Feds turned this merger down once. 

See why people say you are being unrealistic on here? 

• Like 8

I completely agree that Marcelo needs to do this, but I believe he's already tried. He still needs to try more, at least in the interim, knowing Masayoshi Son wants to spare too much money on Sprint right now, due to possible planning for a T-Mobile merger.

Yet, if Sprint were to spend on network development, as I believe they should, that would put them in a much better position, especially considering Sprint's superior spectrum position. Sprint ought to do everything they can to get band 41 deployed on all towers currently at least that, then decide whether to spend on new towers or not dependant on its status regarding T-Mobile merger possibilities.

I'd like Sprint to at least announce an intent on a merger with T-Mobile, despite that I agree with those here wanting Sprint not to focus on a merger, because an attempt I believe will get AT&T to try again for T-Mobile, which if happens, Sprint should back off and work on network deployment. They could easily be the best with the spectrum they have, if only located on all existing towers, then plan to develop more.

Sprint needs more tower sites in more places. Putting 2.5GHz and 3CA on the existing footprint only goes so far. HPUE looks good as demoed, but without good pricing to match, it may not be enough.
  • Like 5

Shocked that I haven't heard anything from Marcelo and John today besides insulting Verizon here and there. Really something they didn't see coming. I guess mid week new promos will surface.

• Like 1

I'm still on Framily and $45 for unlimited. Don't need hotspot so I'm staying where I'm at for now.

Same. And when I DO need the hotsopt I just add a gig or two here and there. I don't really feel like getting my family to switch, because Sprint works in 98% of the situations we're in and I know I'm not going to be able to leave Sprint and come back at some point in the future and get as good of a deal as we have now, so Sprint is where I stay!

-Anthony

• Like 3

Shocked that I haven't heard anything from Marcelo and John today besides insulting Verizon here and there. Really something they didn't see coming. I guess mid week new promos will surface.

They were probably both watching the Grammy's and saw it for the first time.

John was on a plane to SF yesterday: https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/status/830917117847314433

Perhaps John learned about this via GoGo Inflight Internet.

Last thing that John Tweeted about was Adult Swaddling in Tokyo: https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/status/831212395573895168

He just doesn't get it.

As for Marcelo, he acknowledged Verizon's move... but made no announcement of a response.

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/830977056682999808

Otherwise, his most recent tweet was about NBA Basketball:

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/831146161444679680

• Like 1