Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Sprint gave out free movie tickets and Amazon prime recently too no? Yawn.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

There is a difference. That Sprint event was only like a week long but Tmobile's is permanent.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You might think its a huge disappointment but it was in such high demand that it crashed the app so its a better idea than you think. People like free stuff.

Then look at the majority of their "Magenta" customers. If Sprint offered me a great deal at this point, I'd take it, even though likely I wouldn't end up with the device I'd most want, which is only for GSM. I may even consider going to Sprint at what they currently offer now, but then again my mother is happy with T-Mobile and I know the nice representatives who work for T-Mobile had nothing to do with this ridiculous decision. Since T-Mobile works well enough for me and I'm glad for the 700mhz adding late this year/early next year,  it'll be fine. Can't say though that I don't think this Uncarrier is stupid, because I do think that and if I were John Legere, I'd be embarrassed by this.

You are right though, people do like free things, and this will be free stuff that is going to end up hurting them. Although I'd never go so far as to say Marcelo ought to counteract this by offering free healthy food, because the offer itself is just dumb.

• Like 3

Free movie tickets and Amazon Prime is something meaningful to people's lives. It entertains them and helps them to buy stuff with great rates on shipping. It adds real, purposeful value to their lives. Free frosties and pizza really do not add to much but bad health.

• Like 3

Free movie tickets and Amazon Prime is something meaningful to people's lives. It entertains them and helps them to buy stuff with great rates on shipping. It adds real, purposeful value to their lives. Free frosties and pizza really do not add to much but bad health.

There's Vudu rentals and Warcraft Tickets too.  :P

• Like 2

"Mobilitie says it has about 1,000 permits approved and will start large-scale installations once more are in hand." -Wsj

"The company since has received approval to attach equipment to 14 poles across the city. It will pay Baltimore $70,000 for pole attachment rights in the first year of the deal. Mr. Jabara says that amount is unusually high, and many places charge less than $50 a year per pole." - Wsj

1000 permits nationwide??? Out of 70,000 potentially??

Reading this is giving me that sick feeling of "here we go again" more delays, more issues to get up small cells.

If sprint falls behind or has a slow roll out and the others don't they will surely lose their advantage of having so much spectrum. Sprint will once again be playing catch-up. Right when they are starting to get favorable reviews, better marketing ideas.

Marcelo please get on this

• Like 4

Yeah, I got another year of free Prime out of that!

• Like 1

"Mobilitie says it has about 1,000 permits approved and will start large-scale installations once more are in hand." -Wsj

"The company since has received approval to attach equipment to 14 poles across the city. It will pay Baltimore $70,000 for pole attachment rights in the first year of the deal. Mr. Jabara says that amount is unusually high, and many places charge less than $50 a year per pole." - Wsj

Reading this is giving me that sick feeling of "here we go again" more delays, more issues to get up small cells.

If sprint falls behind or has a slow roll out and the others don't they will surely lose their advantage of having so much spectrum. Sprint will once again be playing catch-up. Right when they are starting to get favorable reviews, better marketing ideas.

Agreed that that's a really low number but something that's even more alarming or rather annoying is how much pushback they're getting.

People want to complain about their Sprint service but also want to complain when they try to improve it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

As much as I like Sprint I feel as though they will always be playing catch up. It's like a rut they can never shake.

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ using Tapatalk

• Like 4

As much as I like Sprint I feel as though they will always be playing catch up. It's like a rut they can never shake.

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ using Tapatalk

Aesthetics. In places where a large portion of the small cells have to be erected on polls where there isn't already broadcast equipment in use,   I would expect city planners to continue to be very critical in most large metropolitan areas. Regardless,  if small cells are going to carry the next generation of wireless data, the sooner Sprint can get the process started the better.  

• Like 1

Agreed.  Sprint really needs to get these permits up and going quickly since their network coverage still lags behind some of its peers.  1000 permits is just peanuts and I just don't want to see Sprint fail again when somehow the competition manages to get things going in high gear even though it seems like they should go through the same growing pains.

• Like 3

But then again, this is how many have been approved so far,not how many have been put in. Late last year (around December), there was an RCR Wireless article said Sprint put in permits for over 2,000 small cells in NYC alone.

• Like 1

But then again, this is how many have been approved so far,not how many have been put in. Late last year (around December), there was an RCR Wireless article said Sprint put in permits for over 2,000 small cells in NYC alone.

Yes I remember reading that. What are they doing wrong that these permits are being held up? As you stated 2000 permits were submitted and that was 6 months ago! 1000 approved across the country?? That's just crazy... Sprint really needs to get moving. Dreams of these small cells and great coverage are starting to look much more like 2018/19 before a large portion of cities are completed.... Just in time for the 600 winners to put their Eq up.

They should really start building the 1000 permits they have now instead of waiting for more before getting started.

- Trip

It's not as if they aren't working on them. We have evidence littered throughout this site that they are. However the work probably won't be noticeable until they have a sh*t-ton of permits approved and you start seeing people at telephone poles throughout your city.

If the goal is 70,000 small cells, 1,000 is not going to look like much.

• Like 2

Yes I remember reading that. What are they doing wrong that these permits are being held up? As you stated 2000 permits were submitted and that was 6 months ago! 1000 approved across the country?? That's just crazy... Sprint really needs to get moving. Dreams of these small cells and great coverage are starting to look much more like 2018/19 before a large portion of cities are completed.... Just in time for the 600 winners to put their Eq up.

There's probably a lot more push back from small cells simply because of how noticeable they are. I feel like a macro site can be put 3 miles away and still give you strong coverage whereas a small cell could be right across the street from you and is much more noticeable which will get NIMBYs to be even more outspoken. Also the sheer volume of permits makes it harder since whoever is looking through them has to make sure that if they're erecting a pole it is in a goof spot or in the case of NYC, if there is even space on the pole.

• Like 2

Agreed.  Sprint really needs to get these permits up and going quickly since their network coverage still lags behind some of its peers.  1000 permits is just peanuts and I just don't want to see Sprint fail again when somehow the competition manages to get things going in high gear even though it seems like they should go through the same growing pains.

I have a feeling there's a lot more going on behind the scenes on this than we know about... I'm glad Sprint is largely staying mum on its details and partners so as to not give away the "secret sauce" of whom they're working with or how.

However, when you have bits and pieces of leaks in stories like this, it's easy to develop confirmation bias. There's a lot more going on than we know about and Sprint wants it that way for now.

• Like 3

However, when you have bits and pieces of leaks in stories like this, it's easy to develop confirmation bias. There's a lot more going on than we know about and Sprint wants it that way for now.

More than most people know it.

All this negative speculation does is give more fire to the naysayers. 

• Like 4

More than most people know it.

All this negative speculation does is give more fire to the naysayers.

Only time will tell, that's what's so unfortunate about this. We will only know when we can actually see them up and running. I am sure there is much more going on behind the scenes but if we the users don't see it sooner than later then it was just conversation behind the scenes.

I do believe sprint is working on it. I do believe they have a plan/dream. What I am unsure about is how hard are they pressing to get this done? Remember the worst performing tower list? That started when Marcelo came on board. I hope they have a permit list or something in place as well. In my area there still are the "dead spots" that these small cells would be perfect for. Sprint should start filling In the holes first before worrying so much about getting poles blanketed in a city

There's probably a lot more push back from small cells simply because of how noticeable they are. I feel like a macro site can be put 3 miles away and still give you strong coverage whereas a small cell could be right across the street from you and is much more noticeable which will get NIMBYs to be even more outspoken. Also the sheer volume of permits makes it harder since whoever is looking through them has to make sure that if they're erecting a pole it is in a goof spot or in the case of NYC, if there is even space on the pole.

I understand 2000 is a lot but I don't agree with the idea that people are really complaining about the appearance of these poles. Verizon, T-Mobile/Metro, and AT&T/Cricket were able to build out dense small cell networks in a few cities including NYC, no one ever says anything and the performance of their networks have been proven to be rather stellar as a result. There has to be more going on here than just appearances that is holding Sprint back.

• Like 1

I understand 2000 is a lot but I don't agree with the idea that people are really complaining about the appearance of these poles. Verizon, T-Mobile/Metro, and AT&T/Cricket were able to build out dense small cell networks in a few cities including NYC, no one ever says anything and the performance of their networks have been proven to be rather stellar as a result. There has to be more going on here than just appearances that is holding Sprint back.

The problem seems to be Mobilitie seems to want to put up new (and tall) poles and not use existing ones.  

NIMBYs are a large part of the problem. All it takes is one person. In the example given in the article where a man saw a pole erected in front of his business, all it would take is him to tell one person who could make a big deal out of it causing cancer and whatnot. A lot of suburban areas that could use small cells will push back a lot on the deployment of these.

Additionally we do not know the permitting process of Verizon, etc. I know Crown Castle's DAS system (which I believe MetroPCS used) was deployed over a pretty long period of time. I'm not certain when VZW even began deployment of small cells in NYC so we couldn't keep track like how we can with Sprint.

• Like 1

The problem seems to be Mobilitie seems to want to put up new (and tall) poles and not use existing ones.  

It seems to be a mixture of both going on. Sprint is identifying where it would make sense to have a small cell in place and I'm certain a lot of these areas do not have a utility pole where they'd like to place it. There lies the problem. Mobilitie swoops in and puts a utility pole in front of your building and suddenly the complaints arise.

I do believe sprint is working on it. I do believe they have a plan/dream. What I am unsure about is how hard are they pressing to get this done? Remember the worst performing tower list? That started when Marcelo came on board. I hope they have a permit list or something in place as well. In my area there still are the "dead spots" that these small cells would be perfect for. Sprint should start filling In the holes first before worrying so much about getting poles blanketed in a city

I'm confused because I think what you're saying is "Sprint should do what it is already doing".

Nimbys need to go away. The cell phones themselves have a small link to increase cancer rates, yet we all use them anyway. To my knowledge no link has been made to the base stations. As far as the eye soar argument, that is in the eye of the beholder but power lines run all over the place and no one complains.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

NIMBYs are a large part of the problem. All it takes is one person. In the example given in the article where a man saw a pole erected in front of his business, all it would take is him to tell one person who could make a big deal out of it causing cancer and whatnot. A lot of suburban areas that could use small cells will push back a lot on the deployment of these.

Additionally we do not know the permitting process of Verizon, etc. I know Crown Castle's DAS system (which I believe MetroPCS used) was deployed over a pretty long period of time. I'm not certain when VZW even began deployment of small cells in NYC so we couldn't keep track like how we can with Sprint.

I do agree somewhat. The article made reference to a pole 3 stories high. I would be like wtf is that if I didn't know it was coming. However if it was just put on the tallest pole I. The neighborhood I wouldnt care at all.