Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

On top of that, they'd inflate the signal on their devices.  Something that would yield a 1 bar signal on Sprint would be full signal on AT&T.  :rolleyes:

Not that 1 Sprint bar is 5 AT&T bars, no.

The reasoning behind the low bars on Sprint is due to the stupid signal threshold for B41. They need to have a more lenient and realistic dB threshold for B41 instead of using the same one across the board. It should even vary slightly between B12/13/17/26, B2/25/4? and B41/30 if you ask me, but I don't know if it can be done. 

The reasoning behind the low bars on Sprint is due to the stupid signal threshold for B41. They need to have a more lenient and realistic dB threshold for B41 instead of using the same one across the board. It should even vary slightly between B12/13/17/26, B2/25/4? and B41/30 if you ask me, but I don't know if it can be done.

Sprint already started fixing the signal bar issue. The Samsung S6 was patched last week. I have RSRP of -115 on B41 which shows 2-3 bars depending on SNR. It used to show 1 bar at -100 RSRP or worse.

• Like 3

AT&T.  A Tanqueray & Tonic.

AJ

I was wondering what that stood for (as the old name is antiquated).   ;)

So technically, one could be under the influence of AT&T? 

Edited by cortney
  • Like 2

I was wondering what that stood for (as the old name is antiquated). ;)

So technically, one could be under the influence of AT&T?

Archie Bunker called AT&T "American Thieves and Thugs".

• Like 7

Wish I could say that, the bar I frequent is maybe half a mile from the nearest tower and I'm barely able to hold onto 3G. It's a fully upgraded tower too but Sprint doesn't know how to optimize. :(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I spent 4 hours in a bar last night for my fantasy draft, and had 3G and 1x inside the whole time. Thank god for wifi. I lost about 50% battery in that span with minimal usage, just from having my phone in my pocket.

I wonder if people who go off on a tangent about signal reception inside a building ever consider the materials used in the making of a building that they are in. Some buildings these days act like faradays' cage in that signals don't get in and out to well, so before you go blasting whoever, think about that.

Understandable, but, the problem is AT&T, Verizon, and even T-Mobile can have their devices NOT lose LTE inside small buildings with windows around the Chicagoland area.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 3

Part of the issue I see with B26 optimization as it stands is that Sprint often has to use B26 for capacity when they'd get optimal coverage boosts out of optimization for coverage. That's a big reason why 8T8R and small cells for B41 is so important. The more traffic Sprint can get onto B41 off the other bands, the better off B25 and B26 are. That way Sprint can then extend B25 and B26 coverage when most of the capacity is handled by B41.

So essentially, both B25 and B26 are, in general, capable of covering a larger area, but are left dialed back distance-wise because of insufficient capacity to provide usable data service for all individuals in that theoretical larger area? And at some point in the future, this is likely to change once densification of B41 is sufficient to allow it?

I'm just trying to make sure I read what you said correctly. If this is true, it would certainly explain a lot about relative differences in propagation distance between the bands in reality vs. what is expected/possible.

• Like 4

It was more like Sprint was using the same threshold for both 1x and LTE which was wrong. At -100dbm, 1x is 1 bar and Sprint replicated that in LTE. That system is flawed in so many ways so it's good to see that they're finally fixing it as well as getting rid of the annoying Spark spinning symbol.

• Like 1

That has always been my thought process behind lower power B25/B26 sites. No sense dialing power up and cover more users without having the capacity to handle them.

So I think bringing up B25/26 power after B41 is super dense makes sense.

AT&T.  A Tanqueray & Tonic.

Some people like it or just follow the crowd -- because it is a well known brand and a bit upscale.  But many others dislike it, finding it overwhelmingly strong, cold, and bitter.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

So essentially, both B25 and B26 are, in general, capable of covering a larger area, but are left dialed back distance-wise because of insufficient capacity to provide usable data service for all individuals in that theoretical larger area? And at some point in the future, this is likely to change once densification of B41 is sufficient to allow it?

I'm just trying to make sure I read what you said correctly. If this is true, it would certainly explain a lot about relative differences in propagation distance between the bands in reality vs. what is expected/possible.

I like that explanation... broadcast the signal too far and you will have more clients than you can support. That explains some of the mystery signals that come and go. They don't leave them on because too many phones would connect to them and the tower would be at capacity. Essentially a cellular "Brownout" or like saying, "We have too much coverage and not enough capacity". Strange problem....

I say flip it on high anyway, maybe nobody will notice the difference [emoji4] between poor coverage and insufficient capacity. Actually, it would be neat if we could opt into using the new frequencies as beta testers... or have a switch on settings to turn on " extended range". Our feedback would be submitted to the network engineers.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It was more like Sprint was using the same threshold for both 1x and LTE which was wrong. At -100dbm, 1x is 1 bar and Sprint replicated that in LTE. That system is flawed in so many ways so it's good to see that they're finally fixing it as well as getting rid of the annoying Spark spinning symbol.

Ah well thanks for that correction.

And indeed I was glad to hear the start of progress on that as well. It gives a bad image to the consumer and his social crowd (if applicable), to have a moderate signal shown as "0-2" bars. 

• Like 1

Ah well thanks for that correction.

And indeed I was glad to hear the start of progress on that as well. It gives a bad image to the consumer and his social crowd (if applicable), to have a moderate signal shown as "0-2" bars. 

I agree with that.

For example, When I'm at work, inside I get 0 to 1 "Bar" (about -110 to -114) on B41 yet, I still get download speeds over 10mbps. 

• Like 4

I spent 4 hours in a bar last night for my fantasy draft, and had 3G and 1x inside the whole time. Thank god for wifi. I lost about 50% battery in that span with minimal usage, just from having my phone in my pocket.

Understandable, but, the problem is AT&T, Verizon, and even T-Mobile can have their devices NOT lose LTE inside small buildings with windows around the Chicagoland area.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Hell, on AT&T I don't lose LTE in big, tall windowless brick buildings! The only time I ever have is in this warehouse type place with metal siding and metal roof, and is 2.5 miles in any direction from the nearest AT&T site. And when T-Mobile is doing a better job at getting LTE inside, you know something's up...

• Like 4

Interesting concept, but I don't buy it. I think that is just another excuse for being incompetent.

Having slow LTE is still better then having garbage 1x or EVDO IME. I chose a slower network with solid LTE coverage and can't complain too much. The one that was fast but with Swiss cheese holes everywhere got very obnoxious.

Also, in a market like Chicago where we have 3 5x5 carriers and 1 B41 carrier everywhere plus a second one in more crowded areas, we have tons of capacity! So that idea is completely debunked in a market like this...

I have so much more renewed faith with Sprint after last night. I went out to a bar with my friend, and my sprint data ran circles around my friends AT&T data service. Funny thing is her phone showed full bars of lte and so did mine. But I do understand that signal bars you can't really go by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can go by bars with nexus phones and a few others that accurately portray values and signal into the amount of bars that you get instead of solely going by dbm

• Like 3

You can go by bars with nexus phones and a few others that accurately portray values and signal into the amount of bars that you get instead of solely going by dbm

I'm eagerly waiting on the new N5 release. I'm hoping the battery size is decent.

Sent from my M8

If they would just turn B26 up a bit I think I would be OK, probably won't happen though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatal

chances are they don't know its a problem, let them know on twitter and the sprint app... you might get lucky and have it fixed 

chances are they don't know its a problem, let them know on twitter and the sprint app... you might get lucky and have it fixed

I have they said it's normal, don't have the Sprint zone app on my Nexus 5.

• Like 1

That doesn't really address or even acknowledge what I'm getting at... I just wanna know what the hold up is for optimizing B26, and even B25. The last thing I heard was Nextel repeaters still being live interfering with B26, ok fine, but even that is apparently taking forever to take care of so include that with my wanting to know what the hold up is. Unless of course making what they already HAVE work to its best ability is just not a priority at all...

I tend to be like Marcelo in the matter of wanting to GET THINGS DONE and why signal optimization isn't one of them drives me crazy. And apparently leaving the network hasn't helped as it's still driving me nuts watching from AT&T. In fact I think becoming more intimate with the other networks has only made it worse.

I say...Flip the Switch on B26...Optimize later....( No I really don't mean that and I don't want to fry equipment and cause interference, but this is indeed taking a long time.) The only time I see Tower Climbers in these parts are AT&T installing 4g Panels, New Verizon Tower, & Sprint removing Nextel Antennas.

I have they said it's normal, don't have the Sprint zone app on my Nexus 5.

not normal operation.. . 5 miles from a full build inside.. Unless your bar is in a sub basement, and lined with lead... I have one properly configured tower in my town, it's downtown all old concrete and cinder block buildings. Inside the bar I frequent I get -100 band 41, this bar is about .75 miles away from the tower in a basement (half above half below ground)... If I enter the underground concrete parking structure located behind the bar it will drop to band 25 (or 26). But it is still usable. It's not normal don't let them tell you it is. Then other towers in my town can barely transmit band 41 across an open and level corn field, band 25/26 are equal in coverage and struggle to cover 1 mile of lightly populated single story homes, with low tree cover... Some sites are properly configured, so are not I have been told my are is not optimized yet, they are waiting for a few sites to be finished... It was explained to me that they turn up some sites and turn down neighboring sites to avoid interface with each other. This makes sense as the tow "strong sites" are on opposite sides of town and the "weak sites" are between them. All of this takes time and more importantly man power on the ground. I can't blame them for holding off on deploying a team until all the towers in my town are fully upgraded and they can configure them all at once...

not normal operation.. . 5 miles from a full build inside.. Unless your bar is in a sub basement, and lined with lead... I have one properly configured tower in my town, it's downtown all old concrete and cinder block buildings. Inside the bar I frequent I get -100 band 41, this bar is about .75 miles away from the tower in a basement (half above half below ground)... If I enter the underground concrete parking structure located behind the bar it will drop to band 25 (or 26). But it is still usable. It's not normal don't let them tell you it is. Then other towers in my town can barely transmit band 41 across an open and level corn field, band 25/26 are equal in coverage and struggle to cover 1 mile of lightly populated single story homes, with low tree cover... Some sites are properly configured, so are not I have been told my are is not optimized yet, they are waiting for a few sites to be finished... It was explained to me that they turn up some sites and turn down neighboring sites to avoid interface with each other. This makes sense as the tow "strong sites" are on opposite sides of town and the "weak sites" are between them. All of this takes time and more importantly man power on the ground. I can't blame them for holding off on deploying a team until all the towers in my town are fully upgraded and they can configure them all at once...

Yeah, I know there are maybe 2-3 sites that aren't fully upgraded, hopefully soon.

I say...Flip the Switch on B26...Optimize later....( No I really don't mean that and I don't want to fry equipment and cause interference, but this is indeed taking a long time.) The only time I see Tower Climbers in these parts are AT&T installing 4g Panels, New Verizon Tower, & Sprint removing Nextel Antennas.

I think this has been the plan, install and activate in a non interference manor I have a feeling they are prioritizing the optimization in large markets (makes business sense) unfortunately optimization is a slow and time consuming process (the way i under stand it) so it might take some time before smaller markets get fixed. :frantic:      

Yeah, I know there are maybe 2-3 sites that aren't fully upgraded, hopefully soon.

I think that is my problem also.... I am hopping that as soon as the final sites are upgraded in my town (one is still 3g only) they will send a crew to optimize, i know they have the spectrum and the cell density to blanket my town in band 41, 25 and fill in the in building coverage with band 26... it is frustrating to know they can and then have them not implement it correctly  :unsure:  .