Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

T-Mobile could have done a lot more about the rural areas in 2012, before the LTE launch. That was my greater point.

From what I've come to believe, they could either start investing in rural and be behind the 8 ball on LTE deployment, or start the refarming/modernization process for future LTE deployment groundwork in the money making areas. Rural areas got screwed out of a [third] generational cycle due to the ATT fiasco, and the fact that UMTS deployment is much more intensive than EvDO.

So the rural was stepped over to get the urban core built, to then work it's way out. It sucks for the non-urbanites, but I think it is the right strategy, especially considering their MO.

It's a little troubling to me that S. Ali has 2000+ upvotes. 

That lends more credence to S. Ali potentially being an astroturfer.  Who else has the time to comment on so many T-Mobile articles?

For example, look at S. Ali's defenses of Legere's ridiculous "rape" statement:

http://www.momsrising.org/blog/t-mobile-women-rape-is-no-laughing-matter

AJ

This is S. Ali's reply to someone who stated that, if a merger goes through, that Hesse should be CEO of the combined company.

pupumyry.jpg

I think this is someone who works in Bellevue.

• Like 1

I think this is someone who works in Bellevue.

…or should be put in Bellevue.  (The New Yorkers will know what I am talking about.)

AJ

• Like 3

That lends more credence to S. Ali potentially being an astroturfer.  Who else has the time to comment on so many T-Mobile articles?

For example, look at S. Ali's defenses of Legere's ridiculous "rape" statement:

http://www.momsrising.org/blog/t-mobile-women-rape-is-no-laughing-matter

AJ

-cringe-GIF.gif

…or should be put in Bellevue.  (The New Yorkers will know what I am talking about.)

AJ

Or, put him in Bellevue, NE where he'd be CEO of a company that doesn't sell service there.

• Like 5

Or Chester Mental Health, my town has the Illinois equivalent of Bellevue. He'd have to be put in the padded cell part because T-Mobile doesn't cover that part of Illinois very well.

• Like 2

This AllNet Labs/Fierce Wireless discussion needs to be branched off into its own thread.  Bear with staff for the next few minutes as we move posts into the new thread.  Thanks...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6129-allnet-labsfierce-wireless-how-much-lte-spectrum-do-verizon-att-sprint-and-t-mobile-have-and-where/

AJ

This AllNet Labs/Fierce Wireless discussion needs to be branched off into its own thread. Bear with staff for the next few minutes as we move posts into the new thread. Thanks...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6129-allnet-labsfierce-wireless-how-much-lte-spectrum-do-verizon-att-sprint-and-t-mobile-have-and-where/

AJ

Wasn't sure if it deserved a dedicated thread :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't sure if it deserved a dedicated thread :)

Maybe not initially, but the discussion evolved into a life of its own.

AJ

Thing is, in hilly terrain like the suburb where the author lives, you're going to need either penetrating spectrum like 800 SMR or 700, or the carrier will have to deploy outdoor small cells.

• Like 3

Thing is, in hilly terrain like the suburb where the author lives, you're going to need either penetrating spectrum like 800 SMR or 700, or the carrier will have to deploy outdoor small cells.

Yup. People like them become aware really quick on how much better verizon and att are in this environments. I am beginning to wonder if this test drive is going to end up bad for tmobile. People might actually realize Tmobile isn't as amazing as they say they are. 

Edit: Interesting that they are "out of stock" for 4-6 weeks on the test drive iPhones. 

• Like 1

Edit: Interesting that they are "out of stock" for 4-6 weeks on the test drive iPhones. 

Are the test drive iPhones new or used?

AJ

I'd say that describes most of Charlotte pretty well.

• Like 2

If they do merge I hope they use GSM so when we use unlocked phones it would be easier and supported bands from phones like the Oppo Find 7 or Oneplus One

Uggghhhh.  :blink:

• Like 4

If they do merge I hope they use GSM so when we use unlocked phones it would be easier and supported bands from phones like the Oppo Find 7 or Oneplus One

GSM is a dying technology, and W-CDMA is bandwidth hogging. CDMA is much more efficient in that 1 W-CDMA is equal to 4 CDMA. Besides, Son is not going to let Sprint wipe out the CDMA network after such a massive investment in rebuilding it from the ground up.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• Like 4

I'd much rather see Sprint accelerate VoLTE and get global compatability that way.

I cannot stand Qualcomm's patent philosophy even though CDMA is still better for extremely rural applications, which Sprint does not have many of from my experience. That said, the handset market for CDMA is going to collapse when Verizon goes to LTE only handsets. That's something that doesn't get considered enough in these arguments.

Now are there rational criticisms of LTE for voice? Absolutely. That said, getting VoLTE will enhance the experience of Sprint customers where they primarily sit right now, which is in large cities.

Also, EVRC-NW compressed voice pretty dramatically but I'd be shocked if it was as good as AMR-WB at twice the rate. This is a necessary transition step, but a transition step nonetheless. The eventual end point for voice codecs is EVS which kills everything for quality and compression including EVRC.

Sorry, but I just don't see a whole lot of support out there for EVRC-NW other than Sprint.

A Sprint that embraces open standards and interoperability is a Sprint that turns around, a Sprint that people can believe in again.

• Like 2

Can someone please explain if the merger went through... everyone goes to volte??? or we switch to gsm or we keep cdma?

Will we ever get to use voice and data at the same time again?

With all the combined spectrum of a tmo/sprint merger... would it matter how much space cdma vs utms? It seems like a fallback on hspa/hspa+ would make many people outside the metro areas happy until lte reached them...