Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

I hope Ericsson scores both deals! ;)

Of course, I'd be willing to bet that neither of them will put with Ericsson's shenanigans for too long.

It reminds me of a friend of mine who's a doctor. Good person, but man is she an egomaniac. She had someone come in to take her open Office Manager position. The candidate was perfectly qualified and had a wonderful personality. Seemed her search for an Office Manager was over.

However, she called her two professional references. And both said she was perfect, until she was caught stealing from them. So what did my doctor friend do? She hired her. She said the previous employers were just stupid and didn't manage her right. She just needed to put the proper safeguards in place and manage her new Office Manager properly, and she would have no problems.

The Office Manager did a good job for the first year. No problems. But then, true to form, the Office Manager did the same exact things. She eventually stole over $20,000 before getting caught.

I say this, because Ericsson is like the Office Manager in this scenario. AT&T and Verizon is the Doctor. They may think they're smarter than Sprint. They may even actually be smarter than Sprint. I believe my Doctor friend was likely smarter than the other doctors, especially having that info about her past problems and knowing to put in extra safeguards.

AT&T and Verizon will even know many of the pitfalls of using Ericsson for network management and try to mitigate them. However, in my personal opinion, I wouldn't do it. Learn from Sprint's mistake in outsourcing their network management. Don't think you can do the mistake more niftily.

Sprint's use of Ericsson seems to be an utter failure from my perch. We have seen time and time again where they go out to problem sites and do nothing, or pretend there isn't a problem, or just can't figure out the problem and just move on. A third party never has the accountability or vested interest in how your network performs. And even if it's an absolute necessity financially to outsource your network management, Ericsson just doesn't seem to be a good call.

Let's see if ATT and VZW egos are so large that they blunder into this catastrophe. Doctoritis. There was a part of me that hoped my friend would fail for making such an ego driven poor decision. I counseled her against it. That same part of me now hopes that AT&T and VZW also choose Ericsson. They deserve Ericsson if they choose them knowing what's happened. Let's not forget that Ericsson managed the Clearwire network too.

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are my personal opinions based on my amateur observations.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 19

No offense but what do people expect? Sunshine and rainbows?

Also, a big shoutout to S. Ali, wherever you are. Thanks for getting us page views! ;)

• Like 7

I love how Tmo's 230M is a triumph and Sprint's 225M is a failure. As if they aren't almost the same. And they are roughly the same when you consider that Sprint has not launched DC and Denver, even though they have significant deployments.

If anything, this brings to light that Sprint is sprinting back into the pack and is right there neck and neck with Tmo in the hunt. Sprint has a lot of large markets that will be launching this summer. And Sprint has way more rural LTE coverage and Band 26 overlays.

I'm actually more optimistic about a stand alone Sprint now than I have at any point since the deal with SoftBank closed. If Tmo is firing across Sprint's bow again, it's because they realize they are having to compete again with them.

• Like 14

I'm actually more optimistic about a stand alone Sprint now than I have at any point since the deal with SoftBank closed. If Tmo is firing across Sprint's bow again, it's because they realize they are having to compete again with them.

Hopefully it is also a sign that they no longer expect that they are going to be bought out....

• Like 1

Since I now know some of the commenters read this thread, thank you for reading S4GRU. Unlimited Framily for one person is $75. Unlimited Simple Choice is $80 for one person.

I realize some family plans may add out to less on T-Mobile but it is really not that great a gap.

• Like 5

It's actually pretty amusing how the trolls there keep bashing on Sprint and saying how Sprint is still behind Tmo with 230m pops...

Hello people?

Sprint had over 225 mil covered in May and fired up 28 markets in June for LTE. Three markets, Cleveland, San Jose, and Seattle, already pushes coverage to about an additional 7.5 million people and that's not even counting the other markets in the announcement so Sprint is actually ahead of Tmobile in terms of official LTE coverage. 

Edit: I'll actually do a pop count.. hold on..

The pops covered with the recent market launches is about 14.7 million people which means Sprint is at around 240 million people officially covered at max. 

Edit 2: Las Vegas, Cincinnati, Columbus, and Denver being launched would push Sprint LTE coverage extremely close to 250 million pops covered and it's well within sprints grasp to do so now since the 3 Samsung markets are practically 100% physically converted and Las Vegas is just waiting on the strip. 

• Johnson City, TN
  • San Luis Obispo-Paso Robles, CA
  • Bend, OR
  • Klamath Falls, OR
  • Aberdeen, WA
  • Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, WA
  • Shelton, WA
  • Pine Bluff, AR
  • Bloomington-Normal, IL
  • Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH
  • Fremont, OH
  • Cheyenne, WY
  • Dover, DE
  • Wilmington, DE-MD
  • Yakima, WA
  • Jonesboro-Paragould, AR
  • Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT
  • Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA
  • Reading, PA
  • Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA
  • San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA
  • Seneca, SC
  • Bangor, ME
  • Barre, VT
  • Burlington-South Burlington, VT
  • Lewiston-Auburn, ME
  • Rutland-Bennington, VT
  • Port Angeles, WA
Edited by lilotimz
  • Like 13

It's actually pretty amusing how the trolls there keep bashing on Sprint and saying how Sprint is still behind Tmo with 230m pops...

Hello people?

Sprint had over 225 mil covered in May and fired up 28 markets in June for LTE. Three markets, Cleveland, San Jose, and Seattle, already pushes coverage to about an additional 7.5 million people and that's not even counting the other markets in the announcement so Sprint is actually ahead of Tmobile in terms of official LTE coverage. 

EXCELLENT POINT!   :2tu:

Robert

• Like 1

Hello people?

Nuhhh uhhhhhh. I reads in the article differents. hotgifs1015.gif

• Like 1

The defication from the posterior is really going to hit the rotary oscillator. Fox News just broadcasted the FTC complaint against T-Mobile.

• Like 8

In addition to the above comments all LTE coverage is most definitely not created equal. In Austin Sprint definitely has a wider spread LTE network than T-Mobile but where T-Mobile has LTE coverage it is certainly faster. The market here is slowly improving for Sprint but the T-Mobile market (my sister has T-Mobile and travels frequently around town) seems to be core downtown and along highways. 

So, T-Mobile has done an amazing job at getting LTE installed and running here but unfortunately from my experience they seemed to have picked the low hanging fruit where they upgraded the most used towers and towers along major highways and roads but stopped short where Sprint has slowly begun to infill the remaining area for customers to have a more complete LTE coverage.

Also, a big shoutout to S. Ali, wherever you are. Thanks for getting us page views! ;)

Lol, seeing some of that guy's comments, not just on this particular story, it's safe to say that that dude is truly an idiot.  :lol: 

Here's an actual real world example of T-Mobiles network outside of major cities. I found this on Twitter and thought you would enjoy.

First one this morning all excited he got TMobile.

y6u3u6eg.jpg

Hours later when he finds out they provide no coverage in his area.

e2u9uqyb.jpg

• Like 27