Google Hangouts w/Voice (Was Google Voice)

COZisBack

The incoming calls not ringing the Sprint device issue is screwed up translation on the network side. Sprint was able to confirm to me that my missed calls came into the network from Google but terminated before reaching the MSC due to malformed call fields.

Ericsson did patch translation recently (within the last month) to fix the issue. I'm not sure if the fix is local to my MSC (Atlanta), but I haven't experienced the issue since they did it.

• Like 2

I am not particularly happy with Google right now.  Google has killed off the Gmail Notifier for OS X.  Almost assuredly, the Calendar Notifier will follow.  Moreover, changes to the Google Voice/Hangouts ecosystem have recently bungled GrowlVoice for OS X, and GrooVeIP is next on the chopping block.  So, Google Voice integration for Sprint is not as useful any longer.  The "don't be evil" company is starting to become evil.

AJ

I'm still aggravated with Google for killing Reader, but when Google kills something valuable, a smaller player usually comes in to fill the space (see Newsblur, Digg, etc.).

In terms of notifiers - I was also annoyed when the Gmail notifier was killed off, but in-browser notifications have gotten significantly better than when the notifier was introduced, and I find between those (on either Firefox or Chrome) and other notifications (phone, just keeping a tab open with the total number of unread messages), I don't really miss it.

I would hardly call Google breaking compatibility with unsanctioned, third party products "evil." Annoying, certainly, but Google is a company with a profit motive, after all. I reserve "evil" for things like cooperation with China's filtering or the NSA...

• Like 2

I'm disappointed that GrooVeIP is next on the chopping block but eh, can't do anything about it.

I do like Google Voice but sometimes when folks leave messages and I try to hear it on the pc (transcript, it just doesn't make sense). 

TS

Speculation article based on teardown of latest Google Hangouts.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04/22/apk-teardown-hangouts-2-1-hides-hints-of-google-voice-smsmms-backup-and-more/

By the way I still have a noticeable voice delay on occasion that makes me think twice about using GV to call people from my phone.

I still use GV even though I have Ting.  It should make it easy to go back to Sprint if I choose to.

Did any one notice the delay when placing a call stop when you got the latest hangouts update? I find it too coincidental.

• 2 weeks later...

This is controlled by user settings in Google Voice. Personally I choose to set my inbound calls to show my GV (Sprint number) number on my forwarded phones. This is so I can determine that the call is being made to my Sprint number. To me, this is a great option for me, not a probably.

At anytime, I can switch to show the caller-Id instead of my GV number, but again..I choose not to.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yea I been getting it and it's annoying. Makes the caller ID useless. Turning off intergration fixes it but that's not what I want.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes. Its still happening for me today. All incoming calls are showing my Google voice number, and its a tad bit annoying. Even if people call my sprint number, it still shows up on my phone as my Google voice number.

The link at the bottom goes back to my reddit post, neat. Funny nobody picked up on it when I made the old post two months ago...

Maybe because it is Reddit.

;)

AJ

• Like 3

Seeing as voice is purportedly being integrated with hangouts this year, i hope we still can keep the abilities of voice insomuch as other lines ringing, voicemail transcriptions and the ability to listen to the message but with all of the features of hangouts including emoji.  i currently use both gvoice and hangouts.

I just like having a separate number on hand for dealing with service calls to the house, craigslist randoms who want to buy crap, etc. it's like a disposable email address...

• Like 1

I've only ever had the integrated number. I did not have any caller-ID issues.

The app is klunky, but I'd rather have a klunky app than any change to the service whatsoever.

I used emoticons before someone thought to put in those silly pictures, so that's fine by me!

• Like 1

Final day (officially) for XMPP support. I do hope they quietly extend the grace period until the Hangouts app on Android is updated, but I'm not optimistic.

A word of caution! I disabled Google Voice integration last night while doing some unrelated troubleshooting, and I was left with no voicemail at all -- not even stock Sprint voicemail. I had to call Sprint this morning and get voicemail re-provisioned onto my account.

And now, even since I've done that, I cannot get Google Voice integration to complete successfully again:

vjEsTTA.png

I talked to 5 different tech support agents for a combined total of over an hour with no luck. They have a list of criteria which can cause a line to become ineligible, and they said according to that list, I should be good to go. One of them even had the gall to give me Google's public phone number and tell me I needed to call Google!

Something got seriously screwed up on my line when I removed Google Voice, which was evident by the fact that Sprint voicemail didn't automatically get added back. So keep that in mind before you go removing it if you have any intention of ever adding it back. I've done it plenty of times before successfully, so I don't know why this is suddenly a problem.

I have removed GV/Sprint Integration last month to make sure my new 720T S4 was working correct. Left it off for a month...reactivated it at the start of May. I had no issues reactivating. It mentions your voicemail on the Sprint side will be erased when activating the GV Integration. By updating my profile after removing the GV Integration I was able to use the Sprint VM without issues. Seems like someone did you a disservice, because I know many people that use GV Intergration and turn it on and off without issues.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I have removed GV/Sprint Integration last month to make sure my new 720T S4 was working correct. Left it off for a month...reactivated it at the start of May. I had no issues reactivating. It mentions your voicemail on the Sprint side will be erased when activating the GV Integration. By updating my profile after removing the GV Integration I was able to use the Sprint VM without issues. Seems like someone did you a disservice, because I know many people that use GV Intergration and turn it on and off without issues.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I've turned it on and off plenty of times in the past as well. Nobody knows why it went wrong this time.

Groove ip still working.

The governor of Google issued a stay of execution.

AJ

• Like 1

I miss GV integration. :(

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

It's still working for me. Did you update the grooveip app? I did not. Maybe that's why it's still working for me. Wish I could send you the old app.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk