Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

Start off by deleting your cookies.

If no luck, try to remember what website you were visiting when these pop-ups came up. A website you frequent will probably be your most likely culprit.

If still no answer, start checking Apps that you have installed. Start uninstalling sketchy apps that come from non-trusted sources. I doubt it is your Dolphin browser since they're pretty reputable, but I also wouldn't put it past them either.

I went through all apps, deleted cookies, etc....... Found that is was the Dolphin browser causing the issue, along with being sent to some off the wall looking advertising game apps in Google Playstore everytime I close out the browser. Uninstalled Dolphin, and installed FireFox. No more issues since I've posted.

I went through all apps, deleted cookies, etc....... Found that is was the Dolphin browser causing the issue, along with being sent to some off the wall looking advertising game apps in Google Playstore everytime I close out the browser. Uninstalled Dolphin, and installed FireFox. No more issues since I've posted.

I recommend CM Browser. Pretty light and fast and I have yet to see any ad pop up from them.
  • Like 1

I recommend CM Browser. Pretty light and fast and I have yet to see any ad pop up from them.

Thanks for that recommendation! After reading your response, I went into Playstore, installed, and played around with it. As mentioned, very small, and light app that isn't hard on the phone. Extremely fast, and very smooth browser, that has tight security, antiviurs prevention/features while browsing at the same time. And of course, blocking those shady pop up ads. This is something I've been wanting on a brower that has everything combined into it, besides installing single security apps like Norton, McAfee, etc., that really didn't do anything for me, and let those malicious pop ups, and ads slip through running Dolphin. FireFox uninstalled.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ksmobile.cb&hl=en

Well, there is a 1 year Samsung Warranty on it, but this would not be covered unless you claimed it was always like this and they believed you :) I would bet you that it for sure was caused by the Lollipop update screwing with the sleep while charging. Not sure if you complained high enough you might be a replacement for your screen?

I think you're screwed. That really sucks and this is likely to happen to me as well if I'm not careful.

Well, tested this myth...Busted. Samsung will cover this issue under their manufacturer 1 year warranty.

Samsung went ahead and replaced my screen under their 1 year warranty for this burn in. I had to be very specific to the guy on the phone when calling in about the issue. This is what they wrote on the notes.

Original Problem:

SCREEN / DISPLAY - LCD / TOUCH PANEL / LED - LCD DISCOLORATION

Problem found:

LCD GHOST FAILURE - FDR - WILL NOT CHARGE

Solution:

REPLACED LCD - REPLACED COSMETIC

It probably helped that I included a note on the shipment and a video on the phone that showcased the status bar burn in. Edited by greenbastard
  • Like 2

New testing build RDF has been posted: OF1

http://device.sprintpcs.com/Samsung/SM-G900P-SPRINT/OF1.rdf

Still shows Android 5.0, but they could just be lazy in updating the RDF. I hope to the lord in heaven above that this includes some memory leak fixes.

Yeah its like the last update didn't even happen. These leaks are bad. Again.

Yeah its like the last update didn't even happen. These leaks are bad. Again.

Yup. They got worse a week after the update. I received my phone back from Samsung on Tuesday and was somewhat reluctant to switch back to the S5 from my S3 due to the constant app crashes on Lollipop.

Yup. They got worse a week after the update. I received my phone back from Samsung on Tuesday and was somewhat reluctant to switch back to the S5 from my S3 due to the constant app crashes on Lollipop.

Comically, I had the same experience as I was helping my 3 year old install some new apps on her (my old) S3. It was snappy and fast in and out of app drawer, etc. Of course she's got like 15 apps installed though.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

Anyone ever gotten this random pop up on their GS5? I checked the task manager and it seems to be coming from the NetworkSystemProvider application. Is this anything harmful or something I should be concerned about?

7EtQJLth.jpg

dmW7Vb6h.png

After a while, the phone gave me the same message without the 'Later' option and when it rebooted, it gave me the message "Optimizing App... 1 of 1".

• Like 1

Anyone ever gotten this random pop up on their GS5? I checked the task manager and it seems to be coming from the NetworkSystemProvider application. Is this anything harmful or something I should be concerned about?

7EtQJLth.jpg

dmW7Vb6h.png

After a while, the phone gave me the same message without the 'Later' option and when it rebooted, it gave me the message "Optimizing App... 1 of 1".

I've never seem that before.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, T-mobile seems to have their sheezy together:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/06/22/t-mobile-galaxy-s5-now-receiving-android-5-1-1-update/

T-mobile S5 getting an OF6 5.1.1 update now.  The current testing RDF for our Sprint S5 is also OF6 but the page states that it's still 5.0.  There's usually zero relationship to other carrier's S5 build numbers and ours, but hey, here's to hoping that it's 5.1.1 for us as well but they didn't update that part of the RDF page.   :tu:

• Like 1

No memory leaks for me.  Still looking forward to 5.1.X though.  :-)

Oh you big liar!  No way you have no leaks!   :)

How many apps do you have installed?  You don't see your homescreen redraw after using the camera application?  I find that hard to believe. I have 4x S5s in my family plan and I've checked this on all of them.  Resource management is turrible on the S5 with our build even with very few apps installed or a ton. 

• Like 1

Oh you big liar!  No way you have no leaks!   :)

How many apps do you have installed?  You don't see your homescreen redraw after using the camera application?  I find that hard to believe. I have 4x S5s in my family plan and I've checked this on all of them.  Resource management is turrible on the S5 with our build even with very few apps installed or a ton. 

I have 79 apps installed (so says Google Play app).  And to be honest, I don't use the camera app that much.  So no, I don't see homescreen redraw.

Now, I do notice that my phone is "laggy" sometimes when opening apps.  Maybe that's a "leak" issue?

• Like 1