Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

I just really, really, really want my screen to stop popping on in my pocket or on my charger occasionally.  It happens even booted into safe mode so it's not an app kicking the screen on.  

I just really, really, really want my screen to stop popping on in my pocket or on my charger occasionally.  It happens even booted into safe mode so it's not an app kicking the screen on.  

"popping"?  What does that mean?

"popping"? What does that mean?

Just turning on, lighting up like I hit the power button. I can just leave it sit on a table and occasionally, not related to any notification, the screen will turn on. Annoying.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

Just turning on, lighting up like I hit the power button. I can just leave it sit on a table and occasionally, not related to any notification, the screen will turn on. Annoying.

Oh, ok.   Yeah again, that doesn't happen to me.

That doesn't happen to me either. Are you rooted and can you get a log to see maybe what's causing your screen to wake like that? Maybe some app that's going bonkers from time to time?

That doesn't happen to me either. Are you rooted and can you get a log to see maybe what's causing your screen to wake like that? Maybe some app that's going bonkers from time to time?

Happens in safe mode, I've flashed stock firmware several times. I've never rooted this specific device. With lengthy app trials, I've determined it's an OS issue. I'll just be patient. Never did this prior to 5.0

So anyone else getting this annoying issue with their phone not having their incoming phone calls come through? I called Sprint and they say it's not tower related, but with eCSFB I highly doubt that. About once every 4 days, my phone will stop receiving phone calls (messages are fine for some reason). The one way to fix this is to either make an outgoing phone call or do a prl/profile update. Once I do this, any incoming phone call will come through without issues for at least the next 4 days. I know, easy fix...but that's not how any of this is supposed to work, especially when it happens very often.

Sprint said to take my S5 for a "complimentary" exchange for a refurbished S5 (or equivalent), but honestly I don't even think its the phone. What do you guys think? Is this a Sprint issue or phone issue?

I wouldn't be surprised if the S5 is killing the phone process in its quest to manage RAM super inefficiently.  I bet another device would do the same thing.  I've not seen your problem though, I've been getting calls just fine.  Depends on how attached you are to your device.  I know I've got a couple dings in mine, if they offered me the refurb, I'd take it. 

So anyone else getting this annoying issue with their phone not having their incoming phone calls come through? I called Sprint and they say it's not tower related, but with eCSFB I highly doubt that. About once every 4 days, my phone will stop receiving phone calls (messages are fine for some reason). The one way to fix this is to either make an outgoing phone call or do a prl/profile update. Once I do this, any incoming phone call will come through without issues for at least the next 4 days. I know, easy fix...but that's not how any of this is supposed to work, especially when it happens very often.

Sprint said to take my S5 for a "complimentary" exchange for a refurbished S5 (or equivalent), but honestly I don't even think its the phone. What do you guys think? Is this a Sprint issue or phone issue?

Go to a bestbuy that has a samsung experience shop and have them reload the device. Worth a try.

Go to a bestbuy that has a samsung experience shop and have them reload the device. Worth a try.

You mean "reprovision"? I did it this morning when I knew the issue was present. Hopefully that may fix it. It's just odd that this happens at random, with today being the second time this week. I don't have another triband device to test if its a network issue or phone issue (since iPhone 6 does not use eCSFB).

I'm going to go ahead and see if this happens again. If it does, I'll go ahead and remove WiFi calling from my account since there has been some reported issues with that. If that doesn't help, I may go get a refurb from Sprint. I'll just have to see if my SquareTrade warranty will transfer to the refurbished phone. Anyone know SquareTrade's policy on that?

. Depends on how attached you are to your device. I know I've got a couple dings in mine, if they offered me the refurb, I'd take it.

I used to have dings as well. Most of the fake chrome had peeled off on the sides. But after getting my screen replaced under the original 1 year warranty, Samsung was nice enough to replace the entire shell plus my charging port. So I basically got it refurbished for free. Very nice of Samsung to do that.

My only fear of getting a refurbished phone would be getting what Sprint would consider a "similar" phone in the event they don't have a Galaxy S5. Waterproof, ant+, and fast charging have become very important to me. It's one of those features you don't appreciate until they are gone.

You mean "reprovision"? I did it this morning when I knew the issue was present. Hopefully that may fix it. It's just odd that this happens at random, with today being the second time this week. I don't have another triband device to test if its a network issue or phone issue (since iPhone 6 does not use eCSFB).

I'm going to go ahead and see if this happens again. If it does, I'll go ahead and remove WiFi calling from my account since there has been some reported issues with that. If that doesn't help, I may go get a refurb from Sprint. I'll just have to see if my SquareTrade warranty will transfer to the refurbished phone. Anyone know SquareTrade's policy on that?

No. It is a clean install of the software

Yes, same issue on 2 S5 Sports. Has mostly been over the past month. I believe the launching of B41 second carrier and CA on some sites is causing eCSFB issues not necessarily device specific.

Yes, same issue on 2 S5 Sports. Has mostly been over the past month. I believe the launching of B41 second carrier and CA on some sites is causing eCSFB issues not necessarily device specific.

Damn it. It did it again this morning. My phone is just not ringing. Now, if I dial out any number or do a profile update, my phone will work again and calls will ring and messages will come through.

It's definitely not a B41 CA issue since Houston is a bona fide Clear market. We will probably be one of the last to see any 8t8r radios deployed in mass. I know there are some scattered around town, but not around me.

As I'm writing this post, I got a bunch of messages that just came in that were probably waiting to find my phone and phone calls come through now. This is all very odd. Any last suggestions before I take it to that zoo called the Sprint Store?

Just an update on the missed calls;

Sprint Store won't touch my phone since I didnt buy the insurance from them and Samsung wants me to go on Safe Mode for a week to see if its an app (they're crazy if they think I'm doing that). The Samsung rep immediately blamed Sprint for not doing a Sim Card check and sounded pretty aggressive through most of the call. Highly unlikely its the Sim card since a quick outgoing phone call will fix the issue.

I'm at a crossroads. If this issue happens again, I may remove WiFi calling from my account since that has given some people issues. At this point, it looks like I'm going to have to deal with the issue or pay $99 to have SquareTrade do a refurbished trade.

Just an update on the missed calls;

Sprint Store won't touch my phone since I didnt buy the insurance from them and Samsung wants me to go on Safe Mode for a week to see if its an app (they're crazy if they think I'm doing that). The Samsung rep immediately blamed Sprint for not doing a Sim Card check and sounded pretty aggressive through most of the call. Highly unlikely its the Sim card since a quick outgoing phone call will fix the issue.

I'm at a crossroads. If this issue happens again, I may remove WiFi calling from my account since that has given some people issues. At this point, it looks like I'm going to have to deal with the issue or pay $99 to have SquareTrade do a refurbished trade.

Call customer care and ask to put in a network trouble ticket. You are most likely experiencing eCSFB issues.

I have experienced this problem since going to a tri-band phone. In my case, people are trying to call as my phone is looking for LTE every 3 min.

Call customer care and ask to put in a network trouble ticket. You are most likely experiencing eCSFB issues.

I have experienced this problem since going to a tri-band phone. In my case, people are trying to call as my phone is looking for LTE every 3 min.

I think I just found the problem. Just now, I was signing in into Google and was prompted for my 2 step verification sign in. So I grab my phone to see the text message with the code, but alas, no message. I grabbed another phone and called my phone, and no ring...

So first thing I do is access the drop down menu and I toggle WiFi Calling on (even though my WiFi is off), and just like that, 2 messages came through as soon as my finger left the screen. Called my phone, and it fell back to 1x to receive the phone call.

Next time this happens, I'll try it again and see if I see the same results. If I do, then this phone is definitely not playing nice with WiFi Calling.

So that says it's a network problem and not your phone. WiFi calling takes you off Sprint's network, so everything should work. Very handy when towers go down in my area. Anyways, this has to be isolated to your area or tower and a combination of potentially your device.

So that says it's a network problem and not your phone. WiFi calling takes you off Sprint's network, so everything should work. Very handy when towers go down in my area. Anyways, this has to be isolated to your area or tower and a combination of potentially your device.

But his phone wasnt on wifi if I read that right. Just toggled wifi calling in, but not connected to a wifi network. I find sometimes with wifi calling on, and it connected to sprints network, text and calls do not work. Turning off wifi calling sometimes fixes it.

But his phone wasnt on wifi if I read that right. Just toggled wifi calling in, but not connected to a wifi network. I find sometimes with wifi calling on, and it connected to sprints network, text and calls do not work. Turning off wifi calling sometimes fixes it.

hmm....yeah, maybe you're right.  Curious case indeed.  Still to me sounds like a tower issue, but I really don't know. 

hmm....yeah, maybe you're right.  Curious case indeed.  Still to me sounds like a tower issue, but I really don't know.

Yeah, he could try removing wifi calling from his services, and have it added again might fix it.