Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

My GS5 seems to be sucking electrons out of the battery faster than ever since I updated. Anyone else seeing shorter battery life? 

My GS5 seems to be sucking electrons out of the battery faster than ever since I updated. Anyone else seeing shorter battery life? 

Hard to tell, I keep my charging at all times when I'm not using it.  My battery life has been terrible.  Stand-by is okay if I'm not touching it, but the second you do, boom. 

Hard to tell, I keep my charging at all times when I'm not using it.  My battery life has been terrible.  Stand-by is okay if I'm not touching it, but the second you do, boom. 

How old is your battery?

So I got my phone back. So far no issues with missed calls or delayed texts. They reflashed the software since that's all they could do. One thing to point out is that I haven't activated WiFi calling.

Fingers crossed.

P.S.... My S3 may be super slow, but at least it doesn't crash my apps every 30 minutes.

• Like 2

Keeping a lithium ion battery at 100% charge causes it to degrade faster.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Actually doing pretty much anything people normally do destroys batteries: 

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

That's why I won't buy a sealed battery and that's why I have multiple spares that get rotated into my situation and usage patterns.  I'm certainly aware of the proper ways to charge a battery and it's longevity.  I appreciate your concern for my battery condition, however, it is not the problem in this case.  Janky software is to blame.  If you look at what the Note 4 just got from Samsung with it's 5.1 update, it apparently is a godsend for battery and lag fixes.  I think this will make it to us, I want to still believe that Samsung won't leave us high and dry with garbage. 

It was worth asking. I agree that the last update hasn't done good things for battery life. I think Samsung is trying to force people to upgrade to an s6

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

My phone has been behaving a little better after installing the latest Google Play Services: 

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-services/google-play-services-7-8-87-2077814-438-android-apk-download/

It was at least sleeping on my charger and appeared to enter deep sleep easier without as many location pings/wakelocks.  Give it a try. 

• Like 2

So are we going to be left high and dry whenever Android M comes out? I haven't seen any announcement or rumor about Samsung supporting the S5 for 5.2. I have only seen the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Duos, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy Note 4 Duos, Galaxy Note Edge, Galaxy Alpha and Samsung Galaxy Tab A to be officially announced to receive Android M...No S5.

Who am I kidding, we don't even have 5.1 yet.

• Like 1

The S5 will get M at some point, clearly not as quickly as the S6 will.  I'm surprised we don't have our 5.1 already, honestly.  I'm sure that will come at some point soon.  The Note 4 got it a week or so ago.  

Won't matter to much to me, I'll be out of Samsung this fall for sure. 

• Like 1

The S5 will get M at some point, clearly not as quickly as the S6 will.  I'm surprised we don't have our 5.1 already, honestly.  I'm sure that will come at some point soon.  The Note 4 got it a week or so ago.  

Me too.  I plan to either get the next Nexus 5 or Moto X (if it's around 5 inches).

Actually to clarify..  the Note 4 just received a patch about a week ago, 5.1 is still in testing.  I would think the Note 4 would get it before the S5 but who knows...

Actually to clarify.. the Note 4 just received a patch about a week ago, 5.1 is still in testing. I would think the Note 4 would get it before the S5 but who knows...

Oh, I thought it was 5.1. My mistake.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I thought it was 5.1. My mistake.

As I was saying....now that the Note 4 has 5.1.1, we might not be far behind: http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-note-4-sprint-now-receiving-android-511

The latest RDF for OG1 just popped up (means a July build) but is 5.0 still it claims.  Haven't seen anything for August yet, some might start falling today though. 

EDIT: Impressive that the stagefrieght fix is already in: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00038262/237745/ 

Man, I hope ours says BUG FIXES when that day finally comes. 

• Like 1

The latest RDF for OG1 just popped up (means a July build) but is 5.0 still it claims. Haven't seen anything for August yet, some might start falling today though.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but how do you go about finding these RDF's? Also, how do you determine it was from July?

Hope you don't mind me asking, but how do you go about finding these RDF's? Also, how do you determine it was from July?

Don't mind at all. I have a whole thread dedicated to it here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2765798

Sorry for my brevity, the TLDR version is: 

O is the year

G is the month (A = Jan, B = Feb, etc.) 

1 is the build version number (goes 1-9, A-Z) - this used to be tied to dates, but isn't anymore

To follow the RDF build pages, I set up Page Monitor or use an app called Web Page Monitor

The Page Monitor chrome extension is the nicest because you can import the sites you want to watch, ie, use find/replace to make new months/sheets.  So I load up all the possible builds for the coming months of a year (through OxH) and then it pings me when it finds a new page.  Otherwise the pages would just say URL not found. 

Here's the file for July through December bulids -> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60396219/bookmarks_July-Dec_2015.txt  (just open and copy the text into the Page Monitor Chrome extension box)

Sorry for my brevity, the TLDR version is:

O is the year

G is the month (A = Jan, B = Feb, etc.)

1 is the build version number (goes 1-9, A-Z) - this used to be tied to dates, but isn't anymore

To follow the RDF build pages, I set up Page Monitor or use an app called Web Page Monitor

The Page Monitor chrome extension is the nicest because you can import the sites you want to watch, ie, use find/replace to make new months/sheets. So I load up all the possible builds for the coming months of a year (through OxH) and then it pings me when it finds a new page. Otherwise the pages would just say URL not found.

Here's the file for July through December bulids -> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60396219/bookmarks_July-Dec_2015.txt (just open and copy the text into the Page Monitor Chrome extension box)

Thanks. I didn't know Samsung put some thought into naming their updates.

Now if they would only put some thought into getting this buggy 5.0 OS out of the S5, that would be awesome.