Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

Are you guys getting screen burn in? Less than a year later I'm getting it on the status bar. I feel like it happened post lollipop. #thankslollipop

I don't have any burn in yet. (actually didn't think AMOLED could even get burn in?) but with lollipop, my screen comes on randomly while charging and will stay on forever. Really annoying and I can't figure out why it does that. I use wireless charging and since the 5.0 update this screen randomly coming on and staying on has happened.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

• Like 1

I don't have any burn in yet. (actually didn't think AMOLED could even get burn in?) but with lollipop, my screen comes on randomly while charging and will stay on forever. Really annoying and I can't figure out why it does that. I use wireless charging and since the 5.0 update this screen randomly coming on and staying on has happened.

This happens to me sometimes also.  No wireless charging though.  I also have the app called Screen Notifications that lights up the screen when you get notifications.  I thought it may be that causing it, but there are no notifications at the time.

This happens to me sometimes also. No wireless charging though. I also have the app called Screen Notifications that lights up the screen when you get notifications. I thought it may be that causing it, but there are no notifications at the time.

That's good to know. My wife's S5 does it very rarely when hers is wired. I sure hope the next update will fix this. Been a real PITA.

• Like 1

That's good to know. My wife's S5 does it very rarely when hers is wired. I sure hope the next update will fix this. Been a real PITA.

I hope the next update is 5.1.  :-)

6a9059f8866ec62d3fdfdf394f5b4008.jpg

This is my phone in landscape mode. The status bar is very apparent but there is another burn to the right of it. It's the app headers. Really not sure what happened. It must be while I was sleeping during an inadvertent wake. I uninstalled dash Clock which was like a sort of screensaver. It didn't jive well with lollipop battery levels. And now I have burn in.

• Like 1

6a9059f8866ec62d3fdfdf394f5b4008.jpg

This is my phone in landscape mode. The status bar is very apparent but there is another burn to the right of it. It's the app headers. Really not sure what happened. It must be while I was sleeping during an inadvertent wake. I uninstalled dash Clock which was like a sort of screensaver. It didn't jive well with lollipop battery levels. And now I have burn in.

Wow. Would warranty cover it?

I don't know. I don't have insurance. Can any else chime in on this?

Well, there is a 1 year Samsung Warranty on it, but this would not be covered unless you claimed it was always like this and they believed you :)  I would bet you that it for sure was caused by the Lollipop update screwing with the sleep while charging.  Not sure if you complained high enough you might be a replacement for your screen? 

I think you're screwed.  That really sucks and this is likely to happen to me as well if I'm not careful. 

Wow. Would warranty cover it?

Going to thebplay store like in your picture, i can see a slight but in. But its only recognizable if at an extreme angle.

Going to thebplay store like in your picture, i can see a slight but in. But its only recognizable if at an extreme angle.

It's also pretty noticeable in the camera and other full screen apps. It'll just get worse unfortunately.

It's also pretty noticeable in the camera and other full screen apps. It'll just get worse unfortunately.

You really should get after Sprint and Samsung over this on social media. Send a message to Marcelo. The sleep issues on the S5 are going to only lead to more unhappy customers and broke devices.

You really should get after Sprint and Samsung over this on social media. Send a message to Marcelo. The sleep issues on the S5 are going to only lead to more unhappy customers and broke devices.

I've noticed some people are having some success with this. I don't use Twitter too much or at all lol. Does sprint care have a special twitter handle?

With as much as I am on the phone I am surprised i dont have the same issue. I do keep my screen dim and timeout to 30 sec

My timeout is a minute and my screen can't afford to be too bright. My habits haven't changed at all. That's why we think it stayed awake throughout the night, probably a couple of nights inadvertently. In fact with translucent status bars in lollipop more prevalent, burn in should happen even less so.
  • Like 1

I'm seeing the same thing.

Another problem I'm having is with the fingerprint scanner. Sometimes when I wake the screen up and try to unlock it, the fingerprint sensor is unresponsive. I can swipe as many times as I can but it doesn't tell me to swipe straight, incorrect fingerprint, or that finger is wet; it just doesn't do anything. (Just in case someone is wondering, I turned off locking when pressing the "Power Button" and have a lock delay of 10 minutes in the settings)

When this happens, there's 2 immediate solutions; 1. Enter the password manually or 2. Press the power button to turn the screen off and back on again. That usually gets the scanner working again.

Anyone else see this?

EDIT to remove image[\b]

Wow, I just checked and I have a small burn in as well! And the crappy part about this is that I just had the screen replaced in October after I cracked it (all done through Samsung). I may give them a call this week to have it replaced. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone since after Samsung serviced my phone, I've seen water build up on both camera lenses around high humidity. I was told that the phone would still be IP67 certified even after the repair. Edited by greenbastard

I'm seeing the same thing.

Another problem I'm having is with the fingerprint scanner. Sometimes when I wake the screen up and try to unlock it, the fingerprint sensor is unresponsive. I can swipe as many times as I can but it doesn't tell me to swipe straight, incorrect fingerprint, or that finger is wet; it just doesn't do anything. (Just in case someone is wondering, I turned off locking when pressing the "Power Button" and have a lock delay of 10 minutes in the settings)

When this happens, there's 2 immediate solutions; 1. Enter the password manually or 2. Press the power button to turn the screen off and back on again. That usually gets the scanner working again.

Anyone else see this?

This happens to me all the time. It's like. I'm not even swiping. I thought it was an app I have that displays notifications on the lockscreen. I usually just turn the screen on and off real quick. Usually works.

Does anyone else run into a brick wall when trying to share S Health results in chart form on Facebook? I can't figure out how the heck to fix this. When I want to share, no chart appears, just text form results of calories burned, and heart rate. The only thing I can think of, is just taking a screenshot of results, and post it, but the problem with that is not being able to capture the entire chart in the screenshot.

4a736c188bc5805a283c204d62283bc7.jpg

Anyone else have an extremely bloated Facebook app? 150 mbs? I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Every time I reinstall it says it's only a 30+ mbs download. What gives.

Cached information im sure can add up with pictures and videos, do you have messenger installed? I checked mine was 300mb on total where yours says 151.

Cached information im sure can add up with pictures and videos, do you have messenger installed? I checked mine was 300mb on total where yours says 151.

No messenger installed currently. Just shouldn't be this bloated as just an app. I would understand if it was included as part of the data or the cache, something you can clear. This is ridiculous. Download is only 30+ how the hell does it balloon to 150 without even opening the app.

Does anybody else sometimes have your phone make a really loud unlock sound when you unlock the phone?  It's happened twice since I've had Lollipop installed.

I go to unlock my phone (I just have a swipe lock screen), and it makes the usual unlock sound, but it's really loud.  Sounds like it maxes out the speakers.

Does anybody else sometimes have your phone make a really loud unlock sound when you unlock the phone?  It's happened twice since I've had Lollipop installed.

I go to unlock my phone (I just have a swipe lock screen), and it makes the usual unlock sound, but it's really loud.  Sounds like it maxes out the speakers.

I have noticed that occasionally my "System" sounds will get maxed out on my sounds.  But I have an app called Trigger that deals with sounds so I figured it was just a Lollipop bug with Trigger rather than the phone. 

I spoke with a woman from Marcelo's executive team yesterday (not unique, I know).  But she had interfaced with the "product development team" responsible for the S5.  They, according to her, had NO knowledge of any of these bugs that people are experiencing (on these forums, the Sprint forums, and XDA).  And she listed a very short list of issues with WiFi connectivity, something with G+ contacts, and one other issue.  So I know at least she actually talked to the team as those are known issues with the S5.  But terrible battery life, wakelocks, memory drains causing app closure, sluggish performance, Contacts force closing (not the aforementioned G+ contact issue), were all unknown to her/the team.  I suggested that they place anyone from the product team in their forums and she said, "that's probably a good idea".  Man, I sure hope that someone there knows what's going on better than the team responsible for our phones does.  I mean, hopefully Samsung?  But that's unlikely. 

• Like 1