Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

So that says it's a network problem and not your phone. WiFi calling takes you off Sprint's network, so everything should work. Very handy when towers go down in my area. Anyways, this has to be isolated to your area or tower and a combination of potentially your device.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

WiFi and WiFi calling were off. They didn't even get a chance to connect before my messages came in.

I'll have to wait and see if I can replicate the issue, but so far my phone hasn't had issues...but with time, it'll sadly will.

If it does end up happening again, I'll end up doing what Jeremy said; removing and adding WiFi calling to my account. If that doesn't work, I'll just remove WiFi Calling off entirely.

I'm too lazy to backtrack your posts, but I know you reprovisioned data, have you done factory data wipes? Either through Settings menu and/or Recovery menu? You've cleared the cache in Recovery menu, right? Sorry if this is rehashing.

Cache was cleared through recovery menu.

Only thing left is factory data wipe. But that's last resort.

Actually, ##786# is a bit different than a restore, as it clears modem data (your phone # & profile etc). I would always recommend doing that after a firmware update if you are having issues.

OK, I've about had it. It just happened twice in the last hour. First time, toggling WiFi calling didn't work, 30 seconds passed by and my phone automatically dropped to 1x and back by itseld and messages came in again. I called Sprint and they opened a ticket for a technician to check the network out since everything seemed OK from their side.

15 minutes later, I check it and phone calls aren't ringing again! I toggle WiFi again and 3 seconds later 3 messages pour in and its working again.

I'm about done fighting this. I'm absolutely out of options. I'll try ##786#, hopefully this fixes the issue. One thing that does make me believe it is a network issue is that I just saw 2 guys working on a site 2.5 miles away from me earlier today adding B41 panels. Maybe that's jacking up the network. I'm really thinking of just living with this issue. At least voicemail seems unaffected.

OK, I've about had it. It just happened twice in the last hour. First time, toggling WiFi calling didn't work, 30 seconds passed by and my phone automatically dropped to 1x and back by itseld and messages came in again. I called Sprint and they opened a ticket for a technician to check the network out since everything seemed OK from their side.

15 minutes later, I check it and phone calls aren't ringing again! I toggle WiFi again and 3 seconds later 3 messages pour in and its working again.

I'm about done fighting this. I'm absolutely out of options. I'll try ##786#, hopefully this fixes the issue. One thing that does make me believe it is a network issue is that I just saw 2 guys working on a site 2.5 miles away from me earlier today adding B41 panels. Maybe that's jacking up the network. I'm really thinking of just living with this issue. At least voicemail seems unaffected.

Did you try the suggestion I said? Would be worth a try. I know with WiFi calling on, and it worming, then stops working I have to turn it off before I get calls and text, might be something similar in your case.

I'd add that you probably should just do the factory reset.  I'm not sure why you are afraid to do this method, most of the stuff will rebuild on your phone automatically, granted you have your Google Account synced in the backup and reset section.  Definitely go through this before you go spending any money on a refurb phone. 

I always factory reset through the settings menu, then let the phone boot all the way up, then turn off and factory reset from the Recovery menu again (so 2 total factory resets).  Then boot up, add my Google Account and away we go!  Takes me about 1 hour to get everything back to exactly how I had it and all apps updated.  Good activity post kids going to sleep.  I usually do this every couple months and definitely after any System Updates to the OS. 

I'd add that you probably should just do the factory reset. I'm not sure why you are afraid to do this method, most of the stuff will rebuild on your phone automatically, granted you have your Google Account synced in the backup and reset section. Definitely go through this before you go spending any money on a refurb phone.

I always factory reset through the settings menu, then let the phone boot all the way up, then turn off and factory reset from the Recovery menu again (so 2 total factory resets). Then boot up, add my Google Account and away we go! Takes me about 1 hour to get everything back to exactly how I had it and all apps updated. Good activity post kids going to sleep. I usually do this every couple months and definitely after any System Updates to the OS.

I tried what Jeremy said, ##786# late last night, which was a complete phone reset using my MSL code.

Did it again today.

I called Samsung and they're going to take it in. Hopefully they just give me a refurb since this seems like a phone issue. Unfortunately, they will likely activate the phone and deem it to be working fine since this is a random issue which cannot be replicated.

Crossing my fingers for a refurb. If not, then I'll just have to shell out money for a straight up refurb exchange.

Pulling down a 313.20 MB update right now! I am not sure what it is yet, will update soon.

Confirmed to be OF6, as we thought it would be. Still Android 5.0, unfortunately. Stupid Samsung, get it together.

http://goo.gl/p1dDW2

It only lists reactivation lock fixes. Hopefully there are other fixes with 313MB worth of update.

Edit: although I don't mind these updates. Makes the phone feel fast again for a while. I'm sure it'll slow down again in a few days.

• Like 1

Confirmed to be OF6, as we thought it would be. Still Android 5.0, unfortunately. Stupid Samsung, get it together.

It only lists reactivation lock fixes. Hopefully there are other fixes with 313MB worth of update.

Edit: although I don't mind these updates. Makes the phone feel fast again for a while. I'm sure it'll slow down again in a few days.

How's the leaks?? That's all I care about at this point. I'm trying to hold off until right before my road trip this weekend so it won't slow down for that trip. Listening to music continuously? Imagine that!

Any changes in rf performance?

It always seemed that with every update Samsung pushed out on my old S3, the worse LTE reception got. Sorta felt as if they were pushing me to upgrade.

How's the leaks?? That's all I care about at this point. I'm trying to hold off until right before my road trip this weekend so it won't slow down for that trip. Listening to music contiguous? Imagine that!

Forget the leaks, what about the phantom screen turning on? That's the first thing they should fix since it's a silent battery killer.

So far mine seems a little snappier, but really the performance is not at all different yet. It did seem to sleep on my charger better, but it did that after the last update. I'm sure that nothing was actually worked on. I'm seriously not buying a Samsung ever again, I've had it.

• Like 2

So far mine seems a little snappier, but really the performance is not at all different yet. It did seem to sleep on my charger better, but it did that after the last update. I'm sure that nothing was actually worked on. I'm seriously not buying a Samsung ever again, I've had it.

Yeah I am seriously debating an LG G4 for my next phone. The g2 I had was really nice. The nexus 2015 may also be a choice if it has b41 CA, and is cheaper than the nexus 6.

Yeah I am seriously debating an LG G4 for my next phone. The g2 I had was really nice. The nexus 2015 may also be a choice if it has b41 CA, and is cheaper than the nexus 6.

I have been debating this for weeks but I just can't get on board with that G4.  Played with one in a store and wasn't wowed.  I'm holding out for the next Nexus announcement as well.  The Nexus phones, despite often not being the best hardware, have a system for identifying bugs and issues that is actually reviewed by Google and they give status updates.  So not only do they get the fastest updates (usually), but they also have user interaction and transparency.  Whereas in our situation we have to hope that Samsung fixes stuff but it's nearly impossible to submit any bug reports to them.  

I might take a sealed batteries and inferior camera setups in exchange for that. 

• Like 2

I care for one thing and one thing only; rf performance. And the Nexus line has looked solid on that department from both LG and Motorola. If the screen size is right (~5 in.), I'll definitely purchase the Nexus as my next phone. I'll also consider the Moto X if it comes back to Sprint. Unfortunately, I'm not eligible for an upgrade anytime soon, but at least most phones should support carrier aggregation by then.

I'll definitely miss the waterproof, Ant+ radio, fast charging, and the physical home button, but I'm willing to look past that for a phone that actually works.

I've tried HTC and even though they have solid software, their hardware and rf performance leaves a lot to be desired. Samsung is slowly starting to go down that road.

• Like 2

Now that I'm reminded, did this new update at least fix the signal bar issues? My phone is away for repair (I hope). I won't get it back by the end of next week according to Samsung.

what issue?  It showing like no bars everywhere when there's a decent signal present?  No, that's the same.  It's literally identical to before with the addition of some reactivation lock fixes.  Sucks. 

I have been debating this for weeks but I just can't get on board with that G4.  Played with one in a store and wasn't wowed.  I'm holding out for the next Nexus announcement as well.  The Nexus phones, despite often not being the best hardware, have a system for identifying bugs and issues that is actually reviewed by Google and they give status updates.  So not only do they get the fastest updates (usually), but they also have user interaction and transparency.  Whereas in our situation we have to hope that Samsung fixes stuff but it's nearly impossible to submit any bug reports to them.  

I might take a sealed batteries and inferior camera setups in exchange for that.

Might keep an eye out for the new Motorola phone found in the FCC database. Quite large, but has b41 CA

Might keep an eye out for the new Motorola phone found in the FCC database. Quite large, but has b41 CA

Do you have a link to it?  Do you know the screen size?

I'm waiting for a good, 5 inch, pure android phone.