Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

I have noticed that occasionally my "System" sounds will get maxed out on my sounds.  But I have an app called Trigger that deals with sounds so I figured it was just a Lollipop bug with Trigger rather than the phone. 

I spoke with a woman from Marcelo's executive team yesterday (not unique, I know).  But she had interfaced with the "product development team" responsible for the S5.  They, according to her, had NO knowledge of any of these bugs that people are experiencing (on these forums, the Sprint forums, and XDA).  And she listed a very short list of issues with WiFi connectivity, something with G+ contacts, and one other issue.  So I know at least she actually talked to the team as those are known issues with the S5.  But terrible battery life, wakelocks, memory drains causing app closure, sluggish performance, Contacts force closing (not the aforementioned G+ contact issue), were all unknown to her/the team.  I suggested that they place anyone from the product team in their forums and she said, "that's probably a good idea".  Man, I sure hope that someone there knows what's going on better than the team responsible for our phones does.  I mean, hopefully Samsung?  But that's unlikely. 

Me too.

Also, I do not have the Trigger app.

Has anyone been having your phonr completely freeze requiring a battery pull, and once reatarted your phone is completely black, and you get "system isnt reaponding " message, and needs anotjer battery pull, then works fine for bit

• Like 1

Has anyone been having your phonr completely freeze requiring a battery pull, and once reatarted your phone is completely black, and you get "system isnt reaponding " message, and needs anotjer battery pull, then works fine for bit

Not getting that here.

It seems like 5.0 on the s5 has plenty of issues, it was great at first then some how snowballed out of control. Kinda sad actually.

• Like 1

Where is that option?

Security, Smart Lock. You may have to first allow the Security, Trust Agent for Smart Lock. Then it appears in your Security menu.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

Security, Smart Lock. You may have to first allow the Security, Trust Agent for Smart Lock. Then it appears in your Security menu.

Yeah, I don't see the option under Security.  Where do I allow Security, Trust Agent?

Yeah, I don't see the option under Security. Where do I allow Security, Trust Agent?

Settings, Security, scroll down to Trust Agents and enter there. Click the toggle for Smart Lock (Google). Back out one level, scroll all the way down and you'll see the Smart Lock menu.

If you don't see this, for some reason your Google Play Services are out of date. You could "uninstall updates" to GP Services. Then it should be right (and will update itself). However, the option should be there.

I'm ready for them to give us the guest mode feature.  :-)

Also, does anybody know if this is possible.  Have the phone set so that if you swipe to unlock, it automatically puts it in guest mode.  But if you use your fingerprint, it will unlock normally?

That would be cool.

I've had something similar happen to me 3 times already, but it only happens when I'm streaming music on Spotify via Bluetooth on my car. Usually when this happens, my screen won't turn on amd controls from my radio won't skip forward/backward tracks. The odd part is that the phone will still go through each track as if nothing was wrong. After reset, I don't see a message like you do though.

(BTW, instead of having to take off back, just hold down the POWER+HOME+VOL DOWN buttons together for

I have noticed that occasionally my "System" sounds will get maxed out on my sounds. But I have an app called Trigger that deals with sounds so I figured it was just a Lollipop bug with Trigger rather than the phone.

I spoke with a woman from Marcelo's executive team yesterday (not unique, I know). But she had interfaced with the "product development team" responsible for the S5. They, according to her, had NO knowledge of any of these bugs that people are experiencing (on these forums, the Sprint forums, and XDA). And she listed a very short list of issues with WiFi connectivity, something with G+ contacts, and one other issue. So I know at least she actually talked to the team as those are known issues with the S5. But terrible battery life, wakelocks, memory drains causing app closure, sluggish performance, Contacts force closing (not the aforementioned G+ contact issue), were all unknown to her/the team. I suggested that they place anyone from the product team in their forums and she said, "that's probably a good idea". Man, I sure hope that someone there knows what's going on better than the team responsible for our phones does. I mean, hopefully Samsung? But that's unlikely.

Thanks for taking the time letting sprint know about 5.0 issues.

As days pass by, its getting harder and harder to tolerate the memory problems. I probably have had my browsing app (CM Browser) crash 3 times already today. It's frustrating.

I don't know why people from Sprint wouldn't monitor their forums, especially after a firmware update. I hope they don't assume the reps reading the forums will pass along info since all the answers are usually generic.

I don't know why people from Sprint wouldn't monitor their forums, especially after a firmware update. I hope they don't assume the reps reading the forums will pass along info since all the answers are usually generic.

They USED to, back in the HTC Hero and Evo days. Then they outsourced the CS interactions to a 3rd party company and it all went downhill. Reportedly, I've been told, that they're changing things "drastically" in their online forums and CSR interactions. So who knows what that means. Probably replacing with bots, which might give better answers!

Thanks for taking the time letting sprint know about 5.0 issues.

As days pass by, its getting harder and harder to tolerate the memory problems. I probably have had my browsing app (CM Browser) crash 3 times already today. It's frustrating.

File this under extremely anecdotal, but I was messing around with booting into Safe Mode to help someone on the Sprint Forums with a question.  (Safe Mode boot is power off, turn on, hold vol down until the Samsung logo appears, then let go, phone should boot into Safe Mode)  Turns out that after doing so, most of my problems have been fixed as far as the wakelocks and performance go.  This may have also coincided with an update to Google Play Services? Some offending app?  

Anyways, all I know is that after the Safe Mode boot and then boot back into "normal mode", my phone sleeps finally on my wireless chargers and has less lag.  NOW, booting into safe mode DOES log one out of applications like Facebook, Twitter, etc. so it's possible that I just haven't logged back into my offending app that's dragging down the system.  Maybe Safe Mode also clears out the cache better than clearing out the cache in recovery?  I'm not that familiar with Safe Mode, but it's a nice option to have for testing.

(I do still get Contacts Force Closing with install of any app that has Contacts permissions, that's a real deal bugarino)

File this under extremely anecdotal, but I was messing around with booting into Safe Mode to help someone on the Sprint Forums with a question. (Safe Mode boot is power off, turn on, hold vol down until the Samsung logo appears, then let go, phone should boot into Safe Mode) Turns out that after doing so, most of my problems have been fixed as far as the wakelocks and performance go. This may have also coincided with an update to Google Play Services? Some offending app?

Anyways, all I know is that after the Safe Mode boot and then boot back into "normal mode", my phone sleeps finally on my wireless chargers and has less lag. NOW, booting into safe mode DOES log one out of applications like Facebook, Twitter, etc. so it's possible that I just haven't logged back into my offending app that's dragging down the system. Maybe Safe Mode also clears out the cache better than clearing out the cache in recovery? I'm not that familiar with Safe Mode, but it's a nice option to have for testing.

(I do still get Contacts Force Closing with install of any app that has Contacts permissions, that's a real deal bugarino)

Thanks, I'll try this later. I'm just tired of apps crashing out of the blue and the occasional lag. I don't seem to get a Contacts forced close though.

In all honesty, outside of the B41 antenna placement, this phone was perfect on KK. Before the update, my only gripe was how I experience a -10 db loss on B41 because the lower right part of the phone rests on my palm and blocks the antenna. As a matter of fact. I'm surprised I haven't seen this gripe more on any of the forums. Bad Samsung design.

I reflashed the oa6 tar yesterday and so far its actually been running smooth again. It might be worth trying for yall

• Like 1

So, I think I found my culprit on wakelock and battery drain. Google Location History. Safe mode disabled it, my wife was like "hey where'd you go on Google+ location?" Re-enabled and phone starting wakelocking and not sleeping. (and realized my wife was stalking me)

This wakelock is actually due to Google Now trying to access location history by pinging constantly. Until they fix that, I'm going rouge, sorry wifey.

• Like 3

If Samsung is shrewd, they will make 5.1 only available on its new 2015 devices to help drive sales. That's not what I recommend, but something I could see happening.
  • Like 1

If Samsung is shrewd, they will make 5.1 only available on its new 2015 devices to help drive sales. That's not what I recommend, but something I could see happening.

Well, it appears as though they are going to at least squash some bugs.  OC2 just appeared in the RDFs.  This is the first one since we got the OTA, so finally Sprint has something to test.  Although it could be a really lame fix that no one is having an issue with, which happens often: 

http://device.sprintpcs.com/Samsung/SM-G900P-SPRINT/OC2.rdf

EDIT: VZW is getting a push on OC4: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/30/verizon-galaxy-s5-lollipop-update/  Someone commenting there says it fixes their battery life.  How they know already?  No idea, but hey, here's to hoping! 

• Like 2

I flashed a deodexed stock rom and i still get the contacts stopped working crap, but is running stable for me so far. No random shut downs or freezing upon boot.