Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

I did notice yesterday that the "listening to music at high volumes warning" appeared to be a one time ask and not repetitive every time you'd like to increase the volume.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

Really?! I can say with absolute certainty that this has always been the case. I know because I used to get it every time I went for a run. Since some songs or radio streams sit at different levels, I would always go up and down the volume bar and never see the pop up after dismissing it the first time.

Geez, I guess that last original Lollipop update was all over the place then.

Really?! I can say with absolute certainty that this has always been the case. I know because I used to get it every time I went for a run. Since some songs or radio streams sit at different levels, I would always go up and down the volume bar and never see the pop up after dismissing it the first time.

Geez, I guess that last original Lollipop update was all over the place then.

Nooooo, I meant like once total, not once per listening session.  Nevermind though, it just warned me again about high volumes, first time I've listened to music today to test it.  I really wish that could be turned off. 

What? Insomnia?! LOL!

I've had this screen issue all the time since the Lollipop update, but just not when its charging.

On the plus side, I haven't had memory issues so far so big props to Samsung for addressing that. I am a little disappointed that they decided to keep the Wi-Fi calling from not turning off if your WiFi signal degraded below a certain point. After the original 5.0 update, WiFi calling will stay on even if you're on the outskirts of your WiFi cell. On KitKat, it would automatically turn off if your WiFi was deemed unsuitable for phone calls. I miss that feature.

As a matter of fact since 5.0, the S5 seems to hold on to WiFi for dear life. This causes a lot of issues for people like me who have dead spots at home or use a WiFi bridge. I'll see my phone stay on a very weak and unusable WiFi and nothing will work. I either have to manually switch networks or turn off WiFi.

If you are using Asus routers or access points there is a feature on them called roaming assist where the access point will kick a client that is below a certain signal strength to force it to rescan. It's not the most elegant solution, but it can help.

• Like 1

Its been fixed. I used to get crashes on Google Maps at least once a day. Now I don't.

I'm still getting the occasional leak. That's why I didn't declare a complete victory. But now at least spotify and songza won't quit after like 3 songs. That is actually a win.

OK, so I found a small inconvenience with the latest update.

Before on all prior updates, all of my volume configurations were stored individually for each type of headset so every time I would plug them in, the prior volume setting was automatically adjusted (this included headsets w/ mic, headset w/ no mic, Bluetooth, etc). For example, if my Samsung headset w/mic was at a level 6 Volume, it would continue to be at 6 whenever I reconnected the headphones into the phone. For my Bluetooth, I usually left it at 14 (since it is for my car) and every time I would turn my car on, the phone would go back to 14.

Now, it seems that the volume for bluetooth is the same for the last headset that was plugged in. If I leave my headphones at 6 and then take my phone to my car, the audio will be set at Volume 6 for Bluetooth. The weird thing is that if I turn it up and leave my car and plug in my headphones, the headphones wont go up to 14 and just go back to 6 like it was originally left. It's mildly annoying and it seems to only be affecting Bluetooth audio settings. Definitely something worth noting.

OK, so I found a small inconvenience with the latest update.

Before on all prior updates, all of my volume configurations were stored individually for each type of headset so every time I would plug them in, the prior volume setting was automatically adjusted (this included headsets w/ mic, headset w/ no mic, Bluetooth, etc). For example, if my Samsung headset w/mic was at a level 6 Volume, it would continue to be at 6 whenever I reconnected the headphones into the phone. For my Bluetooth, I usually left it at 14 (since it is for my car) and every time I would turn my car on, the phone would go back to 14.

Now, it seems that the volume for bluetooth is the same for the last headset that was plugged in. If I leave my headphones at 6 and then take my phone to my car, the audio will be set at Volume 6 for Bluetooth. The weird thing is that if I turn it up and leave my car and plug in my headphones, the headphones wont go up to 14 and just go back to 6 like it was originally left. It's mildly annoying and it seems to only be affecting Bluetooth audio settings. Definitely something worth noting.

Yeah, I'm running into this too. That stupid volume warning is killing me.

Ok. Maybe the honeymoon is over. But I'm getting alot of memory leaks again. Songza keeps quitting. And running Facebook and chrome in 2 seperate Windows keep quitting Facebook. Started happening yesterday. Sigh.

• Like 1

Ok. Maybe the honeymoon is over. But I'm getting alot of memory leaks again. Songza keeps quitting. And running Facebook and chrome in 2 seperate Windows keep quitting Facebook. Started happening yesterday. Sigh.

Ha, yeah was just about to post this same thing. Today I had 4 apps close on me, and things have slowed down again. My internal memory was used up in cache, like 2.31 gb! What the heck is up with that. Keeping that clean is helping some.

I've just been having a frustrating Android experience in general for the past few months thanks to Samsung and/or Lollipop. Grrrrrr.

• Like 1

Ha, yeah was just about to post this same thing. Today I had 4 apps close on me, and things have slowed down again. My internal memory was used up in cache, like 2.31 gb! What the heck is up with that. Keeping that clean is helping some.

I've just been having a frustrating Android experience in general for the past few months thanks to Samsung and/or Lollipop. Grrrrrr.

Just experienced my first app crashes as well today. Maybe the update is finally settling down. (At least it isn't as constant as before though)

Overall, this sucks. The wait for Android 5.1 begins now. I hope Sprint gets on Samsung to get their updates right. Just fixing the signal bars for LTE would be a good start.

At least the latest Nova launcher fixed the swipe down to expand notifications. I have to rebuild that muscle memory now.

They fixed that almost immediately in the Nova beta track. #1 reason why I use Nova. Ridiculous that OEMs haven't used that gesture.

Does anybody know how to change the 4G icon (the spinning Spark icon) WITHOUT rooting the phone?

There's just no way. It really is annoying that Sprint took valuable notification bar real estate with 2 icons for LTE, but your only bet will be a custom ROM. I wish they would just got back to the simple 4G with upload/download arrows that I had on my GS2. Or maybe a small LTE with arrows right below it. But probably not going to happen now that carriers are picking up gimmick names for carrier aggregation and deployment of new bands (XLTE, Spark)

I've also wondered why Sprint has never put upload/download arrows on the WiFi notification.

I honestly haven't noticed, my phone camps on band 26 almost all of the time at home and reception on that seems identical. Have you noticed any difference on band 41?

Band 26 seems the same RF wise. I usually turn it off on the phone since load balancing in Houston has not been implemented and every triband phone is being pushed to B26 for any data session.

But band 25 seems to fluctuate a lot on my phone now. It goes anywhere from -103 to -111 when its actively pulling data. Its not a sudden change in rf, but I could be at -103 one moment, then 30 seconds later I'm at -110 in the same spot. I don't know if this is a battery saving feature or a flaw from the latest radio. It still seems to work the same as far data rates, but I'm just worried that the phone will suffer when the phone reaches the edge of a cell (which could happen in Austin, where B26 has yet to be implemented).

Band 41 in Houston is all Clearwire equipment, so its about as powerful as a WiFi router (OK, I exaggerate...but you get the point). I'll only move to a weak B41 indoors (~-117 dBm) if I'm not touching my phone. Once I touch the phone, I lose B41 (In case youre wondering, I'm situated less that 2000 ft from the closest Sprint/Clear co-located tower, flat terrain with heavy tree density) Overall, I haven't seen a difference in RF for B41.

I wouldn't worry too much about the fluctuation in signal, that is completely normal. There are countless moving things that absorb, reflect, and scatter radio waves in some environments.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

For the past month or so, I've been getting this very annoying popup on my S5, still running 4.4.4. It's a popup from a site called qqmars.com. I'm not sure if it's legit or not. I'm running McAfee Mobile Security, and it doesn't even trace it as a security issue. Has anyone seen this before? Is there a way I can get rid of it?! It will pop up at least twice a day, and certain times of the day, such as late at night, and early morning hours. Could it have come from an app, or website I've browsed? Help and suggestions is appreciated!

Screenshot_2015_05_16_06_19_06.jpgScreenshot_2015_05_16_06_19_36.jpg