Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

I asked this back in Nov and never heard anything here. The phone most times answers itself, yes the settings have been checked and that is not the issue.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/188213

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/475779-sprint-s5-issue-incoming-calls-answering-automatically.html

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/839307

I asked this back in Nov and never heard anything here. The phone most times answers itself, yes the settings have been checked and that is not the issue.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/188213

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/475779-sprint-s5-issue-incoming-calls-answering-automatically.html

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/839307

Still does it when booted into Safe Mode?  I know one person said they were going to try it in those threads, but no resolution on if it still auto-answered.  Also, are you getting it when only connected to WiFi like some say? 

Still does it when booted into Safe Mode?  I know one person said they were going to try it in those threads, but no resolution on if it still auto-answered.  Also, are you getting it when only connected to WiFi like some say? 

yes even in safe mode. It has also happened when wifi was off. Ever since the 4.4.4 update, I hate it more than our current memory leak  :angry:. You know its bad when you think about activating your old Evo LTE.

• 4 weeks later...

A little off topic, but just wanted to put in my experience in case anyone is traveling soon and my experiences with the S5. 

I just got back from the Netherlands and I'll have to say that using your phone from WiFi spot to WiFi spot is doable, but terrible.  not the phone's fault, but really the lousy speeds and network.  For some reason while I was there, some WiFi networks would not push Google services to my phone for notifications.  96% of the time I had the phone in airplane mode with WiFi and bluetooth (for my watch) on.  Occasionally, I would put on the WiFi calling (turn off airplane mode, made sure roaming was blocked and mobile data was off) and make a phone call or send a text.

I will say that WiFi calling worked really well, as did the WiFi texting (all back to US numbers of course).  I didn't try to unlock and deal with a prepaid sim or add on the Sprint Data Roaming International package (Netherlands is not one of the countries included yet for the $5 a month 2G speeds).  Using Google Hangouts was abysmal though and I don't recommend it.  I had to revert to using Facebook Messenger to get a hold of the folks that I was with there and at home.  The Google Hangouts messages would not sync or notify me at all. 

Fortunately, the city of Delft, where I was most of the time for my conference, has a large University infiltration and as such, I was able to use the "eduroam" network that I use here at UW - Madison. It's apparently a world wide secure network.  I would pick this up in the middle of the city square which was pretty handy.

The battery life of the S5 is still super awful.  I used it as my primary camera, which it has a fantastic camera, so why not, but I'd get about 6 - 8 hours max out of the battery.  My biggest pet peeve about Samsung phones (maybe Android in general?) is that one day the battery life will be fine.....the next day?  The battery will tank in about 3 hours and the phone will get really hot.  I mean, what the heck!  I sure hope a software update fixes our phones soon.  Thank goodness I had another battery to swap in so I was never out of juice.  There really is no way I can think of getting the S6 for this exact reason.

Sample pics: http://imgur.com/a/8fYIH  

• Like 6

I was asked by a friend last weekend "What's wrong with your phone?". I looked at it and the screen was on and wouldn't turn off.

This is getting damn ridiculous. I'm thinking that my next phone won't be a Samsung. RF seems to be getting worse with each generation (which is what's most important to me) and now software bugs are through the roof and killing my battery.

I was asked by a friend last weekend "What's wrong with your phone?". I looked at it and the screen was on and wouldn't turn off.

This is getting damn ridiculous. I'm thinking that my next phone won't be a Samsung. RF seems to be getting worse with each generation (which is what's most important to me) and now software bugs are through the roof and killing my battery.

Out of curiosity, did you do a hard reset prior to upgrading to lollipop or have done one since? I'm using an S5 Sport on 4.4.2. L was released recently but there aren't enough Sport users out there to report how it's going, so I'm kinda following along here since our phones are cousins lol

Out of curiosity, did you do a hard reset prior to upgrading to lollipop or have done one since? I'm using an S5 Sport on 4.4.2. L was released recently but there aren't enough Sport users out there to report how it's going, so I'm kinda following along here since our phones are cousins lol

I did a factory reset following the update to lollipop, but I'm still seeing the screen go on (and staying on) and the annoying memory dump that plagued Lollipop 5.0. I haven't seen the phantom heart rate sensor going off like some users have reported. I also haven't seen a battery drop off as it was described by some people early on. Anytime I notice that my battery dies faster than usual, I suspect it is because of the screen coming on and staying on, not a lollipop problem.

The next Samsung update will be critical when it comes to choosing my next phone. I value RF experience the most, but these little Samsung bugs are building up in annoyance

• Like 1

I did a factory reset following the update to lollipop, but I'm still seeing the screen go on (and staying on) and the annoying memory dump that plagued Lollipop 5.0. I haven't seen the phantom heart rate sensor going off like some users have reported. I also haven't seen a battery drop off as it was described by some people early on. Anytime I notice that my battery dies faster than usual, I suspect it is because of the screen coming on and staying on, not a lollipop problem.

The next Samsung update will be critical when it comes to choosing my next phone. I value RF experience the most, but these little Samsung bugs are building up in annoyance

The screen coming on and staying on, really bothers me a ton.  I know this is happening in my pocket often and has to contribute to some of the terrible battery life.  I'm not sure if OD3 will be our next update, although the RDF has been sitting out there for 3 weeks without a new one showing up, but I DO hope that some sort of fix comes soon.  It's been very frustrating to use the S5. 

All I know is that there's no way that our phones are "so outdated" that they can't run extremely smooth on 5.x.  And why can't we get the Camera2 API baked into our camera software on the S5 for the pro features.  We know it can run it.  Or how about the slimmed down TW, or perhaps screen pinning and guest modes?  Samsung (and all Android OEMs) really hamstring their older (<1 year!) phones and produce too many devices.  I mean its a fact that we all know, but dealing with the "flagship" S5 for the past couple months has been painful and really highlights the huge issues that Android suffers from. Slow performance, apps crashing, random heat ups, screen on constantly, terrible battery life......Seriously, fix it up. 

• Like 1

The screen coming on and staying on, really bothers me a ton.  I know this is happening in my pocket often and has to contribute to some of the terrible battery life.  I'm not sure if OD3 will be our next update, although the RDF has been sitting out there for 3 weeks without a new one showing up, but I DO hope that some sort of fix comes soon.  It's been very frustrating to use the S5. 

All I know is that there's no way that our phones are "so outdated" that they can't run extremely smooth on 5.x.  And why can't we get the Camera2 API baked into our camera software on the S5 for the pro features.  We know it can run it.  Or how about the slimmed down TW, or perhaps screen pinning and guest modes?  Samsung (and all Android OEMs) really hamstring their older (<1 year!) phones and produce too many devices.  I mean its a fact that we all know, but dealing with the "flagship" S5 for the past couple months has been painful and really highlights the huge issues that Android suffers from. Slow performance, apps crashing, random heat ups, screen on constantly, terrible battery life......Seriously, fix it up. 

It's interesting that I'm not seeing any of these issues.  I wonder what could be causing this?  I DO see the slow performance (maybe), at times.  The phone overall doesn't seem to be "snappy".  But I don't know if that's the phone or the OS.

Also, I do get the Contacts has crashed error frequently.

Also, I do get the Contacts has crashed error frequently.

This is one issue I have NOT seen and many users have reported. For some reason, there are several different bugs plaguing this phone, but experience varies by user.
  • Like 1

This is one issue I have NOT seen and many users have reported. For some reason, there are several different bugs plaguing this phone, but experience varies by user.

Really?  Every time I install an application from the Play Store that has Contacts access, the Contacts will crash on me. Like clockwork this happens.  Examples would be Textra, Twitter, etc.  Do you have your contacts synced with Facebook, G+, Twitter, or LinkedIN?  I mean, I could see that maybe if you had 0 of those synced, perhaps it would not crash and this is how it eluded the software testers??

No. My only contacts are those synced through Google. I have no contacts stored on my phone or linked to anything outside of Google.

EDIT* I meant Google account, not Google+.

Edited by greenbastard

Really? Every time I install an application from the Play Store that has Contacts access, the Contacts will crash on me. Like clockwork this happens. Examples would be Textra, Twitter, etc. Do you have your contacts synced with Facebook, G+, Twitter, or LinkedIN? I mean, I could see that maybe if you had 0 of those synced, perhaps it would not crash and this is how it eluded the software testers??

I do not have Google+ installed but I have my Google acct, Facebook, and LinkedIn synced to my contacts (among others) with tons of apps accessing said contacts and have not experienced this even once on OA6 on my GS5. I did fumigate my phone beforehand, though. Meaning: I Odin'd in the full OA6 tar ... but only after formatting internal flash memory as well as deleting the Android folder from the removable sdcard.

What do you think Factory Reset Protection means?

post-5836-0-66579100-1430833963_thumb.jpg

What do you think Factory Reset Protection means?

It's a new feature in Lollipop that we didn't receive on the first go around.  The Factory Reset Protection does exactly what you expect.  On reboot after wipe, you have to enter the last Google Account password that was used on the device.  It is to prevent someone from nabbing your phone, factory resetting it and calling it their own. 

• Like 2

I haven't unearthed anything else to this point, but I sure do love that honeymoon period after an update where everything seems "better".  One thing I noticed immediately is that my phone screen will actually turn off now while on my wireless charger, which previously wasn't the case.  Everything does appear to function faster for me (likely placebo) and I haven't had any home screen redraws. 

• Like 1

I haven't unearthed anything else to this point, but I sure do love that honeymoon period after an update where everything seems "better". One thing I noticed immediately is that my phone screen will actually turn off now while on my wireless charger, which previously wasn't the case. Everything does appear to function faster for me (likely placebo) and I haven't had any home screen redraws.

How about those memory leaks?

How about those memory leaks?

None...... YET.

But as I lay here with a mad case of insomnia, a strange light caught my attention... It was my damn phone turning the screen on and not turning back off automatically while charging (wired).

This is absolutely absurd. I'm done with purchasing Samsung phones.

• Like 1

None...... YET.

But as I lay here with a mad case of insomnia, a strange light caught my attention... It was my damn phone turning the screen on and not turning back off automatically while charging (wired).

That happened to me last night too. What's the deal with charging? My guess is that the notification for "fully charged, unplug charger" is not playing nice with lollipop notifications yet. I really wish they disabled that.

I did notice yesterday that the "listening to music at high volumes warning" appeared to be a one time ask and not repetitive every time you'd like to increase the volume.

I'm still not getting contacts crashing, other app crashes, or home screen redraws. So that's a positive. Still seems snappy today and I haven't even wiped caches yet!

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

None...... YET.

Interesting, I've never had or heard of this issue.

Interesting, I've never had or heard of this issue.

What? Insomnia?! LOL!

I've had this screen issue all the time since the Lollipop update, but just not when its charging.

On the plus side, I haven't had memory issues so far so big props to Samsung for addressing that. I am a little disappointed that they decided to keep the Wi-Fi calling from not turning off if your WiFi signal degraded below a certain point. After the original 5.0 update, WiFi calling will stay on even if you're on the outskirts of your WiFi cell. On KitKat, it would automatically turn off if your WiFi was deemed unsuitable for phone calls. I miss that feature.

As a matter of fact since 5.0, the S5 seems to hold on to WiFi for dear life. This causes a lot of issues for people like me who have dead spots at home or use a WiFi bridge. I'll see my phone stay on a very weak and unusable WiFi and nothing will work. I either have to manually switch networks or turn off WiFi.

Edited by greenbastard