HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

Just make sure it's not a whitening toothpaste, as those have larger grit that can scratch your lens even worse. I used to use non-whitening toothpaste to restore CDs, but I've since switched to Meguire ScratchX, which you can get from any auto parts store. Works great on watch crystals, uncoated sunglasses, and, of course, car clear coat as well.

Edited by ahecht

:o  Now you tell me.

lol I used a regular toothpaste. Actually went to the store and got both the rubbing alcohol and toothpaste and neither worked. although if I keep the lens wet, the picture actually comes out clearer, but still. I tried. Hopefully the OPs' HTC M8 fairs better.

This Mega is on its last leg anyway. She's going down. Only a month or two left in her before I get that bug for a new phone anyway.

TS

Has anyone else had issues with their micro USB port? Mine appears to now be loose and causing issues trying to charge it. Sprint wants to charge $75 to fix it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If the cable doesn't go in all the way take an razor blade and clean out the port on both sides. They pick up a lot of lent in your pocket. Had to do that on both my m7 and m8.

If the cable doesn't go in all the way take an razor blade and clean out the port on both sides. They pick up a lot of lent in your pocket. Had to do that on both my m7 and m8.

The port is clean as a whistle. More like the port wiggles after cable insertion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

:o Now you tell me.

lol I used a regular toothpaste. Actually went to the store and got both the rubbing alcohol and toothpaste and neither worked. although if I keep the lens wet, the picture actually comes out clearer, but still. I tried. Hopefully the OPs' HTC M8 fairs better.

This Mega is on its last leg anyway. She's going down. Only a month or two left in her before I get that bug for a new phone anyway.

TS

I had to give it two tries before I had success. The first time I expected it to come off instantly. The second attempt I realized it takes time and pressure.

I used a bit of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip and rubbed the lens with good pressure for a minute or two. After a bit you will notice some black on the q-tip. You may have to continue rubbing with force for 10 minutes to get it crystal clear and no "scratches".

Yeah, I went to walgreens today to buy rubbing alcohol, and there were actually strength choices: 70% isopropyl, and 91%. Since the scratches were really angering me, I rage purchased the 91% 'er, and rubbed that lens to death with a soaked Q-tip. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the help, folks.

• Like 1

Yeah, I went to walgreens today to buy rubbing alcohol, and there were actually strength choices: 70% isopropyl, and 91%. Since the scratches were really angering me, I rage purchased the 91% 'er, and rubbed that lens to death with a soaked Q-tip. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the help, folks.

LMAO, glad it worked out.

My only question with that is, how hard is it to scratch the glass itself, without the film?

I think its pretty difficult to scratch.  As a matter of fact I don't even think its glass being that it flexes when you add pressure to it but as hard and as long as I rubbed it to get the film off, it took the abuse just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

how's the M8 vs the M7 in non-complete roll out areas like the OC?? I want to grab one off swappa and hoping maybe the tri-band will improve my connectivity.

how's the M8 vs the M7 in non-complete roll out areas like the OC?? I want to grab one off swappa and hoping maybe the tri-band will improve my connectivity.

Actually yes, the m8 on band 25 is definitely a lot better than the m7.  When it comes to 3g connectivity, you might get some varying answers but in my opinion I don't think it really matter what device you get with the exception of the galaxy nexus which was a joke on 1x/3g.

Guys.. I just received the m8 yesterday and have yet to see it connect to b41, even when standing just a few hundred feet from a known clear LTE converted site. It gets band 26 perfectly fine. In fact, it tends to park on it. But is band 41 connectivity a known m8 issue? If not then I suppose it's something else. Would definitely love to know.

Guys.. I just received the m8 yesterday and have yet to see it connect to b41, even when standing just a few hundred feet from a known clear LTE converted site. It gets band 26 perfectly fine. In fact, it tends to park on it. But is band 41 connectivity a known m8 issue? If not then I suppose it's something else. Would definitely love to know.

no the m8 in my experience will easily grab on to b41 when available.

you may want to do a prl/profle update, and/or if you have your msl# check your lte settings to make sure b41 is enabled (it should be after a profile update no matter what).

also unless you can or have confirmed b41 on that site with another device, then it is also possible your information is wrong.

What happened to your n5? No issues connecting to band 41 at all.

What happened to your n5? No issues connecting to band 41 at all.

Damn thing was literally falling apart. Work accident. Plus only worked on speakerphone. And never ending connectivity issues. The m8 hasn't yet once been on 3g in areas where my nexus 5 always seemed to be. Except deep inside the work parking garage. But the scan time is greatly improved on the m8 v. The n5. It almost immediately jumps back on LTE upon exiting the garage where the n5 would take several, painful minutes.

That said, the n5 would grab band 41 with ease where my m8 has yet to even do it once, even when in well known b41 coverage areas. Did profile update, prl update, the usual suspects. So far it hasn't helped.

The only reliable way to fix it after disabling wifi calling is to do a data profile reset. Go to the phone and dial ##3282#, select edit mode, enter your MSL (if you don't know it you can either install MSL reader from the Play Store if you're rooted or call Sprint and ask for it if you're not). Go to Data Profile, click on Menu, hit restore, and hit okay to any warnings (this will only reset your data profile, your apps and data will be untouched). After rebooting you will need to go through hands-free activation, but the GPS should work afterwards.

Thanks for posting this.  Such a shame that its this complicated to get my GPS working consistantly.  This is the only thing I can complain about with this phone though.  Still love it.

Damn thing was literally falling apart. Work accident. Plus only worked on speakerphone. And never ending connectivity issues. The m8 hasn't yet once been on 3g in areas where my nexus 5 always seemed to be. Except deep inside the work parking garage. But the scan time is greatly improved on the m8 v. The n5. It almost immediately jumps back on LTE upon exiting the garage where the n5 would take several, painful minutes.

That said, the n5 would grab band 41 with ease where my m8 has yet to even do it once, even when in well known b41 coverage areas. Did profile update, prl update, the usual suspects. So far it hasn't helped.

Have you verified that its actually enabled?  I know at one point my m8 had band 41 disabled for whatever reason but once I enabled it every thing was fine.  ##3282#, view mode, then click on lte and see what bands are enabled.  If you click on edit mode then you will need your msl number to proceed to make the adjustment manually.

Have you verified that its actually enabled?  I know at one point my m8 had band 41 disabled for whatever reason but once I enabled it every thing was fine.  ##3282#, view mode, then click on lte and see what bands are enabled.  If you click on edit mode then you will need your msl number to proceed to make the adjustment manually.

Band 41 enabled. Confirmed.

mine changed after a prl update, I didn't notice it until I looked at the screen. I am glad I did, because now I can help track the 8t8r sites :D

Band 41 enabled. Confirmed.

Not really sure what to say then, I've been connecting to band 41 just fine, not sure if its a network issue or not.  I fly back into atlanta on the 15th so I will you know if I can connect to it or not.

mine changed after a prl update, I didn't notice it until I looked at the screen. I am glad I did, because now I can help track the 8t8r sites :D

So yours changed from enabled to disabled or disabled to enabled?

Not really sure what to say then, I've been connecting to band 41 just fine, not sure if its a network issue or not. I fly back into atlanta on the 15th so I will you know if I can connect to it or not.

I'm just gonna give it time for now. I tried again last night, even drove right up to the building where the antenna is located. Nothing there or anywhere around there. In fact, my signal check pro app seems to invariably show that anytime I'm in a known band 41 coverage area that I am only connected to band 25. Is this possibily just a signal check error with the one?