HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

Hi Jeremy. You need some Sunshine. But it will cost you  B)

Yeah I just havent Had a chance to fork $25 over yet. Just not worth it if this replacement goes bad, then its money out the drain.

guess I got lucky, I just followed the instructions from the general area and it went thru at the first try... And yes I did it with firewater

What software version/build were you on? Heard an update killed it, so I bet the phones came pre updated

How did you get your H/K edition soff? Firewater always gave me the can't be done error.

Its a random thing, doesn't matter if you have the h/k edition or not.  I have two regular gunmetal m8's and one worked pefectly with firewater and the other one didn't so I had to go to sunshine to get s-off

What software version/build were you on? Heard an update killed it, so I bet the phones came pre updated

Firewater still works for some after the latest update.

• Like 1

OK I just got S-off, and am happy :) It must have been a bad Firewater download. But Let the Fun begin :)

Oh you got it working, great.  Firewater can be tricky.

• Like 2

Its a random thing, doesn't matter if you have the h/k edition or not.  I have two regular gunmetal m8's and one worked pefectly with firewater and the other one didn't so I had to go to sunshine to get s-off

Firewater still works for some after the latest update.

Ok yeah it was a bad Firewater file. The original m8 still will not go s-off. But owell it's going back to Sprint. I got s-off. One weird thing was I locked my old m8, and when I went to 're unlock the bootloader it never wiped it. I thought it wiped every time you run the unlock

I've been having some issues getting 3g data since the update. I can't get any at all when in a weak area and sometimes none at all in a strong area. I've never had this issue in the same spots before the update. LTE is working fine. Anyone else experience this or have a solution? Also I haven't been able to get wifi calling to work. I keep getting an Authentication error, I chatted with sprint and she did something and told me to leave phone off for 30 min and that it will work... Well that didn't work.

I just looked at my battery usage today because I was down to 59% and I've hardly used it today. 34% usage is from the wifi calling app which wifi calling isn't even working but it is on. Anyone else have battery drain from this app?

I've been having some issues getting 3g data since the update. I can't get any at all when in a weak area and sometimes none at all in a strong area. I've never had this issue in the same spots before the update. LTE is working fine. Anyone else experience this or have a solution? Also I haven't been able to get wifi calling to work. I keep getting an Authentication error, I chatted with sprint and she did something and told me to leave phone off for 30 min and that it will work... Well that didn't work.

I just looked at my battery usage today because I was down to 59% and I've hardly used it today. 34% usage is from the wifi calling app which wifi calling isn't even working but it is on. Anyone else have battery drain from this app?

No problems here with wifi calling being a power hog but I also do not have it enabled. I would also call back Sprint and ask them to provision your phone. It sounds like that's what they did before but I would call back to make sure.

Received mine on Tuesday. Activated, accepted PRL update and two software updates. Now at 2.16.651.4 (w/ updated firmware). Unlocked, S-OFF & temp root with Sunshine. Flashed TWRP and permanent root, then nandroid backup. Played with it a bit before restoring my data (call logs, SMS/MMS) and syncing Google services, Dropbox & Evernote.

The phone is fast, although I've only been using a GNex & GS3 recently. I got more than 20 hours of battery the first full day out and about, using in-car Bluetooth for calls and Google Maps nav. I got home about 6pm with 35% left and decided to let it ride overnight off the charger; it was at 20% this morning. I worked from home today and made very few phone calls. I put it back on the charger about noon.

The software bloat is annoying, as is the status bar. Although I shuddered to do it, I loaded Xposed and turned off most of the status icons, leaving just the basics - time, radio, wifi, bluetooth. Since I use SignalCheck Pro, Power Toggles, Lux and Call Control I make use of their status icons. I spent about an hour today freezing most of the bloat; so far I've broken nothing.

Played with wifi calling. It does break MMS on both Hangouts (my primary messaging app) and the Messages app. I didn't try Messaging+, and I ended up freezing wifi calling too. I don't think I'll be using it for a little while.

So far I'm impressed. The phone is beautiful and fast. About the only thing I'm really itching to change is the ROM - I'd like to run an AOxP or CM11 on it. But I can wait. I see some brave souls running the GPE port from GSM on their CDMA devices, but I'm averse to that much pain. I need to use my phone too :tu:

You should try ViperRom M8....best rom I've ever used, and very active developers with frequent updates.

You should try ViperRom M8....best rom I've ever used, and very active developers with frequent updates.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the recommendation. PA, Slim and Viper have a pretty broad base across many devices, so there's a bit of comfort there. Viper and ARHD seem to get the most eyeballs on the M8. My preference would be CM11 or AOKP as long as I don't lose too many of the (unique?) features of the M8  ;)

But for the present time I'm content to get to know the phone's quirks and monitor progress of the individual ROMs over at XDA before I flash something new.

Have a great day!

John

• Like 1

I think the calendar app took a step back in usability from the Evo 4G LTE. The Agenda view only shows stuff from the current day. It's completely redundant to the day view.

• Like 1

A comparison article between the HTC One M8 and the LG G3 just came out. I love when they do this sort of article because it gets many points of views rather than the point of view of the author. I think that it's awesome that the M8 can still hold its own to a device that many claimed, clearly out specced it. Clearly specifications aren't everything. 

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-g3-versus-htc-one-m8

• Like 2

A comparison article between the HTC One M8 and the LG G3 just came out. I love when they do this sort of article because it gets many points of views rather than the point of view of the author. I think that it's awesome that the M8 can still hold its own to a device that many claimed, clearly out specced it. Clearly specifications aren't everything.

I just happened to read this earlier and didn't even realize it was just published today. I want to upgrade my Galaxy S3 but can't decide between the two. It was good to have multiple perspectives for each phone. Seems like you can't go wrong with either one and it's more of a personal preference between HTC and LG.

I just happened to read this earlier and didn't even realize it was just published today. I want to upgrade my Galaxy S3 but can't decide between the two. It was good to have multiple perspectives for each phone. Seems like you can't go wrong with either one and it's more of a personal preference between HTC and LG.

One thing about the camera, if you know how to use the camera, there aren't as problems with it as others make it out to be. You can take daytime pictures and have them come out just fine. It takes the right amount of effort in composing the shot our using hdr as needed. In exchange, you'll be taking night photos that no amount of fiddling can get you.
  • Like 1

Even with its 3gb of ram the lg g3 still lags, though not as bad as the gs5.  As of now, the m8 is still by far the fastest and most responsive android device you can get.  Also, I honestly think that lg should have stuck with their 1080p screen instead of going to 1440p.  I don't think it was worth the performance hit and overheating issues many people seem to be complaining about.  Personally though, I did get a chance to spend quite a bit of time with it and it is a fantastic device but all around I think the m8 still wins(barely).

LOL, well coming from a gs3 you definitely can't go wrong with either device.  Most say that battery life is about even between the two, so it will have to come down to camera versus performance.  Performance wise this one is easy, the m8 is just faster when it comes to literally everything....period.  The camera though is a different story.  In sufficient light the g3 takes some really good looking photos as does the m8 but of course the difference shows when you want to zoom in on the photo.   The m8 beats it in medium to low light situations and the m8 also provides a manual camera mode which is pretty cool if you know what you are doing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to upgrade from my HTC One (M7) to a HTC One (M8). I'm curious to know that since it's a tri-band device, will it work on China Mobile's and Softbank's (Japan) LTE networks, since they're both on Band 41 (2500 MHz)? These two companies are the only ones I've seen that share at least one of Sprint's LTE bands.

I'm about to upgrade from my HTC One (M7) to a HTC One (M8). I'm curious to know that since it's a tri-band device, will it work on China Mobile's and Softbank's (Japan) LTE networks, since they're both on Band 41 (2500 MHz)? These two companies are the only ones I've seen that share at least one of Sprint's LTE bands.

Moved topic to appropriate thread so it can be answered.

I think the calendar app took a step back in usability from the Evo 4G LTE. The Agenda view only shows stuff from the current day. It's completely redundant to the day view.

I agree. Even though I have gotten used to the new calendar app I still like the old one better.

I'd imagine this also depends on what the other guys use for voice.

I was in China last year with an iPad air, and we never saw LTE, despite supposedly being on networks with compatible bands. I chalked it up as some other compatibility issue or lack of widespread deployment.

IPad is also a more worldly device than the Sprint specific M8, hence my skepticism.

I'd imagine this also depends on what the other guys use for voice.

I was in China last year with an iPad air, and we never saw LTE, despite supposedly being on networks with compatible bands. I chalked it up as some other compatibility issue or lack of widespread deployment.

IPad is also a more worldly device than the Sprint specific M8, hence my skepticism.

Voice shouldn't be a problem because GSM 900 and CDMA 800 are supported on Sprint international devices. Did you use a China Mobile/China Unicom/China Telecom SIM card? Sprint International services doesn't mention LTE International roaming. I've read about people requesting a UICC unlock and then popping in a local SIM card. So I was wondering that if you use a local SIM with a Sprint tri-band device on a network shares one of Sprint's LTE bands (all of the Chinese carriers have deployed LTE Band 41), will it connect to LTE?

Voice shouldn't be a problem because GSM 900 and CDMA 800 are supported on Sprint international devices. Did you use a China Mobile/China Unicom/China Telecom SIM card? Sprint International services doesn't mention LTE International roaming. I've read about people requesting a UICC unlock and then popping in a local SIM card. So I was wondering that if you use a local SIM with a Sprint tri-band device on a network shares one of Sprint's LTE bands (all of the Chinese carriers have deployed LTE Band 41), will it connect to LTE?

http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5784-HTC-One-M8-User-Thread&do=findComment&comment=325070

Read that post. It has a ton of useful information. It isn't about China, but it's still a good read for international roaming information.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...