HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

So my Wi-Fi calling just doesn't work anymore. I get failed texts, and when I make a call, it says, "you are roaming. To make a call with your mobile carrier, press 1, or purchase a calling pin pack." Wtf?

Edit: it wants me to buy an "American roaming" pin. Who or what is that company? How could I possibly be roaming on Wi-Fi, and connected to a Sprint tower?

This happened to me on a Photon Q before.

If your device looses / forgets / otherwise isn't sending it's MEID to the tower, than Sprint doesn't know what account to associate you with. Your device appears unauthorized.

"American Roaming" is the MVNO that you get shoved to (on Sprint or Verizon towers) -- as it allows 100% unauthorized devices (devices with MEID's like '000000'). You can typically only make outgoing calls with the device in this state (since your phone is in an unauthorized / unregistered state).

http://www.americanroaming.com/

In my instance, I botched flashing Cyanogenmod (oops) and had to use the Qualcomm tools to get my MEID back. If you haven't been flashing stuff on your phone, a simple reboot with some updated PRLs and Profiles may fix it automatically.

I noticed yesterday on my G3 that the ICCID was listed as being "unknown" instead of having a number present.

I did a reboot shortly after and happened to think about checking it, and the 89011************ number was back as it should be...

mad me wonder if the card became unseated for a second....

People keep referencing HD voice... Is that everywhere now? I know with the new firmware you get an HD icon on calls. Does this actually only show up if you are getting HD voice or is it just cosmetic and is always there? (I haven't updated yet)

If you are not on an hd call the icon won't show up.

I haven't seen this new firmware which shows the HD Voice call icon, when was it released?

Earlier this week, firmware version 2.16.(android 4.4.3)

I got my Wi-Fi calling/texting problem worked out. Several profile/prl/reboots/power cycles later. Has anyone noticed when sending a Wi-Fi text that the Wi-Fi calling icon briefly flashes? I wonder if sms actually goes out through Wi-Fi, or if it quickly connects to cellular to send?

I got my Wi-Fi calling/texting problem worked out. Several profile/prl/reboots/power cycles later. Has anyone noticed when sending a Wi-Fi text that the Wi-Fi calling icon briefly flashes? I wonder if sms actually goes out through Wi-Fi, or if it quickly connects to cellular to send?

Hmm let's find out. Try turning on airplane mode, then enable WiFi and try to send a text.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hmm let's find out. Try turning on airplane mode, then enable WiFi and try to send a text.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm actually unable to do that. It won't turn on Wi-Fi calling in airplane mode with Wi-Fi on. Hmm.
  • Like 1

Yeah, wifi calling won't work in airplane mode. I'd guess it either needs gps or the cell radio briefly to grab your location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But what about areas with zero Sprint service? Isn't that primarily what Wi-Fi calling was designed for? It should work with cellular radios turned off as long as you've confirmed a 911 address

But what about areas with zero Sprint service? Isn't that primarily what Wi-Fi calling was designed for? It should work with cellular radios turned off as long as you've confirmed a 911 address

I have been working today in areas with zero sprint signal and what I have to do to use wifi calling is type my account address , if I use the locate me , it keep telling me "invalid address"

Sent from my iCrap using Tapatalk

Sprint doesn't seem to be very clear on why, but they do say it won't work with Airplane mode on.  Probably just meant for better indoor coverage in Sprint areas at this point.  Not sure how accurate they are, but I've seen some articles that say that 911 calls will attempt to get routed over CDMA first before WiFi.

I'll be in a roaming area next week, I'll try it out there and see if it lets me do WiFi calling.

I'm still unable to send texts with Wi-Fi calling on. Fails every time. MMS or SMS.

I'm still unable to send texts with Wi-Fi calling on. Fails every time. MMS or SMS.

My texts go through fine. I've experienced 0 issues except,when switching between routers, my phone will connect to LTE and go back to Wi-Fi calling.

I can send texts but my mms messages won't go through.