Sprint to join Rural Operators Roaming Hub (CCA and RRPP thread)

marioc21

I would love LTE roaming on USCC in New Hampshire this summer!

Yeah I'm waiting for that day...  LTE roaming here in Wisconsin would pretty much make it so there is LTE everywhere.  Just hoping they do something with the roaming data caps for everyone in the hub. 

• Like 2

I would love LTE roaming on USCC in New Hampshire this summer!

You stole the words out of my mouth.. I hate that Sprint has no coverage (not only LTE.. they just don't have any sites at all) north of Concord except along 93 and in downtown Laconia, and has no plans to expand. I can't believe the complete lack if coverage around Winnipesaukee while the Big Two and USCC have it fully blanketed.

I don't blame Sprint for not wanting to pay to expand into a seasonal vacation area that isn't likely to significantly boost their subscriber base, but the limited 1X we can access certainly doesn't convince anyone to not consider alternatives. Providing a reasonable roaming option would be fantastic. There are plenty of Sprint customers from MA and Southern NH that are up there regularly.

I don't need unlimited 10mb/s, just provide something usable for light internet use and not sucking my battery down while it works its tail off looking for signal that isn't there.

-Mike

• Like 1

Quick Question, in future when roaming on lte would u still have the spark icon. Considering it can't differentiate between sprint bands now

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I believe Android has a separate icon call out for Roaming LTE. Unless Sprint saves the Spark icon over that too, you probably will know when you're LTE roaming. But the best way would be to watch Signal Check Pro.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I would think that Sprint would want to differentiate Native LTE with roaming LTE in hopes that a customer would be less inclined to go batshit crazy pulling heavy roaming data. I tend to be pretty light with use whenever I notice the roaming triangle on my phone.

If it's treated native, then I don't expect any roaming indicators.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I would think that Sprint would want to differentiate Native LTE with roaming LTE in hopes that a customer would be less inclined to go batshit crazy pulling heavy roaming data. I tend to be pretty light with use whenever I notice the roaming triangle on my phone.

Yes but the problem with that is that it still scares customers. My mom to this day will not make a call while roaming no matter how much I tell her it won't effect her Bill unless she goes crazy.

Yes but the problem with that is that it still scares customers. My mom to this day will not make a call while roaming no matter how much I tell her it won't effect her Bill unless she goes crazy.

My eyes get stuck up in the air when someone on Verizon tells me they're afraid of being charged for roaming, and I tell them a million times that Verizon's domestic roaming is all you can eat with no added cost. 

I can't imagine how non-techie Sprint users must feel. Most of the time I'll see roaming turned off on their phones. 

I can't imagine how non-techie Sprint users must feel. Most of the time I'll see roaming turned off on their phones. 

It saves battery life quite lot if roaming is disabled on a Sprint phone.

Edited by JoeJoeJoe

It saves battery life quite lot if roaming is disabled on a Sprint phone.

Yeah back before all the NV 3G upgrades were complete I'd disable it so I didn't flip back and forth between native and roaming constantly. Now since I had to turn it on last when I left native coverage, I've just left it on.

Any new news of when things will take off for this? or if they are planning some sort of announcement in the future for when the companys will coincide? i travel back home to south dakota often where James Valley Communications is. it would be great to use my phone there without having to worry about data roaming.

Any new news of when things will take off for this? or if they are planning some sort of announcement in the future for when the companys will coincide? i travel back home to south dakota often where James Valley Communications is. it would be great to use my phone there without having to worry about data roaming.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone know a real timeframe for this yet. or has it been pretty quiet?

Sprint plans to add 700mhz to select smartphones starting next year.  We will probably learn more soon but I won't be surprised if we get more info late this year or early next year

It's always next year with sprint. They need to stop with their obsession with T-Mobile and get on this or expand their network. Just seems like they take forever to get stuff done

It was only announced a month ago.... 

• Like 6

LTEiRA participants cannot participate in the Sprint program due to exclusivity clauses in the deal. And C Spire Wireless does not offer/sell service in Georgia. It does, however, sell and operate service in Memphis, Mobile, and Pensacola.

What if a carrier is listed as being a member of LTEiRA but doesn't actually have any sort of LTE (Just 1x and EVDO) on their network? And uses their own (AWS) spectrum + Sprint's PCS stuff? And if they already have a full native bilateral roaming agreement with Sprint? (Talking specifically about Carolina West.)

What if a carrier is listed as being a member of LTEiRA but doesn't actually have any sort of LTE (Just 1x and EVDO) on their network? And uses their own (AWS) spectrum + Sprint's PCS stuff? And if they already have a full native bilateral roaming agreement with Sprint? (Talking specifically about Carolina West.)

Still no. While LTEiRA doesn't prevent roaming deals, it definitely prevents SRA-style deals. That's why Pioneer Telephone left the SRA for LTEiRA not too long ago.

• Like 1

LTEiRA participants cannot participate in the Sprint program due to exclusivity clauses in the deal.

Cough, VZW Trojan horse, cough...

AJ

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

New news on this topic: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-to-expand-4g-lte-roaming-through-12-new-agreements-with-carriers-covering-a-population-of-over-34-million.htm?view_id=10517

Unfortunately, no news about USCC LTE roaming...  Oh well...  Glad to see there is working being done with smaller carriers though.

• Like 3