Say hello to the Framily (inexpensive but potentially confusing new Sprint group plan pricing)

No_name

Another thing I hope happens is all phone become unlocked. Would be nice to be able to take my phone with me if I move carriers.

The problem with that is the double standard.  Many Sprint variant devices support GSM/W-CDMA, but almost no AT&T and T-Mobile variant devices support CDMA2000.

So, device portability effectively becomes a one way street.  Take your unlocked device from Sprint to AT&T or T-Mobile, okay.  Take your unlocked device from AT&T or T-Mobile to Sprint, no dice.  And that is unfair to Sprint.

Thus, Sprint has little incentive to unlock its branded devices for use on other domestic providers.

AJ

• Like 1

The problem with that is the double standard.  Many Sprint variant devices support GSM/W-CDMA, but almost no AT&T and T-Mobile variant devices support CDMA2000.

So, device portability effectively becomes a one way street.  Take your unlocked device from Sprint to AT&T or T-Mobile, okay.  Take your unlocked device from AT&T or T-Mobile to Sprint, no dice.  And that is unfair to Sprint.

Thus, Sprint has little incentive to unlock its branded devices for use on other domestic providers.

AJ

How much more is it to equip the phones to run on all carriers? In the next couple of years I bet it would not be hard at all. If all subsides die couldn't that bring in more competition phone and plans?

So if I put $100 down on a phone and do the upgrade swap in 12 months I won't get any of that back or credited in the next one. Doesn't look like a good deal if you on unlimited and upgrade a lot compared to no money down if you have the option . Also why pay for it faster when its 0% interest.

Sent from my SPH-L900

So if I put $100 down on a phone and do the upgrade swap in 12 months I won't get any of that back or credited in the next one. Doesn't look like a good deal if you on unlimited and upgrade a lot compared to no money down if you have the option . Also why pay for it faster when its 0% interest.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Because you CAN own it at the end of the 12 months and sell it OR keep as backup (why pay for insurance when you have a 12 month old phone in perfect working order). If you don't pay it all the way off, putting more down just to keep monthly payments down and trade in doesn't make a *ton of sense to me.  Now paying a little extra every month and say, owning it after 12 or 16 months makes more sense.  It really is like leasing a phone (that's how I explain it to people) with option to buy or give back but you get unlimited miles, just return it in working order if you are going to return it.  :)

How much more is it to equip the phones to run on all carriers? In the next couple of years I bet it would not be hard at all. If all subsides die couldn't that bring in more competition phone and plans?

AT&T and T-Mobile have bought full in to the namby pamby, Euro loving 3GPP baloney.  Unless forced by FCC regulation, they will never require their handsets to support domestic 3GPP2 standards, too.

AJ

Once everybody has to buy phones unsubsidized by carriers device prices are going to go down.  The Device makers will no longer be able to hide their bloated device prices behind the subsidy.  A 16GB iPhone has no business being $649 retail.  With the volly ATT fired over the weekend, I think the move to unsubsidized devices is well underway and I think when it settles you will see the sweetspot of top end device prices settle in the $400-$500 range. 

And there will always still be the used market if you don't want to pay full retail.  I pointed my buddy to swappa where like new iPhone 5s's are selling in the $400 range.  Used prices will probably rise, but it will always still be a cheaper option then retail.

I hope this happens.

The pricing doesnt make sense when compared to tablets which are more powerful, have more expensive screens, bigger batteries...and cost significantly less.

• Like 2

I hope this happens.

The pricing doesnt make sense when compared to tablets which are more powerful, have more expensive screens, bigger batteries...and cost significantly less.

Exactly what I've been saying since Google put out the nexus 7 for $250. Then the galaxy nexus dropped to around $300 a couple of months before the nexus 4 came out and now the nexus 5, both the 4 & 5 are very capable smartphones for under $350. Some would say, more capable even than the bloated phones Samsung and others put out.

It will have to happen with subsidies going away. People are not going to want to buy new phones yearly otherwise. I won't.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Unless forced by FCC regulation, they will never require their handsets to support domestic 3GPP2 standards, too.

These companies all use Qualcomm basebands. Would it be that big of a cost increase if AT&T and T-Mobile handsets were also forced to support BC 0/1/10 CDMA along with LTE bands for VZW and Sprint?

• Like 1

These companies all use Qualcomm basebands. Would it be that big of a cost increase if AT&T and T-Mobile handsets were also forced to support BC 0/1/10 CDMA along with LTE bands for VZW and Sprint?

Neal will tell us "Yes."

AJ

IIRC the LTE versions of Qualcomm modems include W-CDMA and CDMA so they likely just disable CDMA.

The past does not provide much hope, but maybe the present and future indicate a paradigm shift.

Qualcomm MSM chipsets still generally come in at least three flavors:  "x2xx" series for 3GPP, "x6xx" for 3GPP2, and "x9xx" for 3GPP/3GPP2 with LTE.  If that continues, choosing to use an LTE capable baseband will necessarily bring along CDMA2000 capability.

Now, also implementing three CDMA2000 bands -- not to mention, three LTE bands currently almost proprietary to Sprint -- is still left to question.  But we do see how that can all coalesce with the MSM8974 heart of the Nexus 5.

AJ

Do the taxes and fees, etc. for each line in a Framily plan get added to each line individually?  So, if you get different bills sent to different people, the taxes are already included?  

Also, what if one of the people doesn't pay the bill?  Does it affect the credit of the others?

Considering merging two accounts into a Framily with 7 lines - would save us over $100 a month than our current ED1500 plan.

The past does not provide much hope, but maybe the present and future indicate a paradigm shift.

Qualcomm MSM chipsets still generally come in at least three flavors:  "x2xx" series for 3GPP, "x6xx" for 3GPP2, and "x9xx" for 3GPP/3GPP2 with LTE.  If that continues, choosing to use an LTE capable baseband will necessarily bring along CDMA2000 capability.

Now, also implementing three CDMA2000 bands -- not to mention, three LTE bands currently almost proprietary to Sprint -- is still left to question.  But we do see how that can all coalesce with the MSM8974 heart of the Nexus 5.

AJ

I never thought it was the baseband support that was difficult, but cramming all the antennas in there.

Do the taxes and fees, etc. for each line in a Framily plan get added to each line individually? So, if you get different bills sent to different people, the taxes are already included?

Also, what if one of the people doesn't pay the bill? Does it affect the credit of the others?

Considering merging two accounts into a Framily with 7 lines - would save us over $100 a month than our current ED1500 plan.

The tax rates are based on the billing address of each line. If one of your Framily members does not pay his bill, it does not impact the credit of the other accounts. It doesn't impact anything with the other account holders. Except when that Framily member gets terminated, you will have one less Framily member and all your rates will go up.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Except when that Framily member gets terminated, you will have one less Framily member and all your rates will go up.

It is like the film "The Dark Crystal."  If a Skeksis dies, then so must a Mystic vaporize.  Equilibrium.

AJ

• Like 2

It is like the film "The Dark Crystal." If a Skeksis dies, then so must a Mystic vaporize. Equilibrium.

AJ

Umm, yeah. Just like that. ;)

• Like 1

Umm, yeah. Just like that. ;)

I hoped that my compatriot in 1980s childhood pop culture would get the reference.  But if not, I may have finally out kicked my coverage, and now Percy Harvin may return it for a TD.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

I hoped that my compatriot in 1980s childhood pop culture would get the reference. But if not, I may have finally out kicked my coverage, and now Percy Harvin may return it for a TD.

;)

AJ

I've never seen Dark Crystal. Even Christina is chiding me for not understanding your reference. She gave you an atta boy.

• Like 2

The tax rates are based on the billing address of each line. If one of your Framily members does not pay his bill, it does not impact the credit of the other accounts. It doesn't impact anything with the other account holders. Except when that Framily member gets terminated, you will have one less Framily member and all your rates will go up.

Great!  That's what I was hoping would happen!

I've never seen Dark Crystal. Even Christina is chiding me for not understanding your reference. She gave you an atta boy.

I am personally happy that live action muppet movies never took off and died with the 80's.

I am personally happy that live action muppet movies never took off and died with the 80's.

You sir, lack creative imaginationism.  Also, Team amercia says "**ck yeah!"

If you were not of cognitive age or did not have HBO in the mid 1980s, you missed out on a keystone of childhood culture.

AJ

• Like 2

I do remember Fraggle Rock. I was never a real fan. Something about Muppets just irks me. I do, however, enjoy Team America. It is a different class of puppet.

I do remember Fraggle Rock. I was never a real fan. Something about Muppets just irks me. I do, however, enjoy Team America. It is a different class of puppet.

You, sir, live in a land of confusion...

AJ

• Like 4