Say hello to the Framily (inexpensive but potentially confusing new Sprint group plan pricing)

No_name

Guest DigiClaws

This is interesting, but I think the potential downside to changing billing addresses in order to combine existing accounts into one Framily group is the possibility of one of the separately liable accounts going into default.  At that point, collections may try to seek restitution from anyone at that address.  So, I would be careful with how this is used to form Framily groups.

AJ

I agree 100%. However, the other account is my brother's which is family. If it were anyone else I wouldn't have done what I did.

I just started a Framily account last night currently riding solo because just switching to that plan was already $5 cheaper than Sprint Unlimited, My Way plan. If anyone is interested in joining my Framily send me a PM and I can give you my Framily ID to join.

Admins if this is NOT okay, please let me know and I'll refrain from doing so. 

This is interesting, but I think the potential downside to changing billing addresses in order to combine existing accounts into one Framily group is the possibility of one of the separately liable accounts going into default. At that point, collections may try to seek restitution from anyone at that address. So, I would be careful with how this is used to form Framily groups.

AJ

What's to stop you from changing the address back after you are in the framily? Also, collections cannot legally seek restitution from others at the same address unless they are cosigners. You can sue them for harassment and violation of the FDCPA if they do (this comes from someone living in an apartment previously occupied by deadbeats).

What's to stop you from changing the address back after you are in the framily?

That is another interesting possibility. If it works, it basically gives existing subs the freedom to join Framily groups with absolution.  I do wonder, though, if Sprint will be auditing Framily groups for these kinds of shenanigans.

Also, collections cannot legally seek restitution from others at the same address unless they are cosigners. You can sue them for harassment and violation of the FDCPA if they do (this comes from someone living in an apartment previously occupied by deadbeats).

Yes, I never said that Framily members who switch to the same address, for example, would become legally liable for all accounts under that address.  However, as you note from your own experience, lack of legal liability does not necessarily stop debt collectors from trying to squeeze blood from any stone they can find.  And filing a complaint or suing to stop the collection harassment is just a headache that most people do not want.

I also would be a bit concerned that some of these address changes could result in actual account liability changes -- even if that is due to customer care rep error.  So, once more, be cautious with this Framily group strategy.

AJ

That is another interesting possibility. If it works, it basically gives existing subs the freedom to join Framily groups with absolution. I do wonder, though, if Sprint will be auditing Framily groups for these kinds of shenanigans.

Yes, I never said that Framily members who switch to the same address, for example, would become legally liable for all accounts under that address. However, as you note from your own experience, lack of legal liability does not necessarily stop debt collectors from trying to squeeze blood from any stone they can find. And filing a complaint or suing to stop the collection harassment is just a headache that most people do not want.

I also would be a bit concerned that some of these address changes could result in actual account liability changes -- even if that is due to customer care rep error. So, once more, be cautious with this Framily group strategy.

AJ

I think the best way is to call their main 800 number, not a local store. Ask when your contract is up, how much would your ETF fee be now, and how long (45 days) before your a new custome. Tell them  you need to leave for a while to join your friends framily.

The are all legitimate questions and give you what you need to know if you have to go that route. They really like keeping customers and you don't have to ask them to bend the rules they just offer what you want to be done, or they don't.

Sent from my SPH-L900

I went to a Sprint store last night trying to add my 4 lines with my brother's existing account with 5 lines. The store said I couldn't combine them into a Framily Plan. Like I said before in my previous post I spoke to Customer Service and they said I could combine the two accounts if 1) both accounts had the same owner or 2) the billing address was the same. I had the store employee change my brother's account billing address to my address. I then called customer service and asked them if it were possible to combine the two existing accounts. They told me yes. I then asked if they could do it and they did. Apparently the systems at the stores are unable to combine accounts even if they have the same account holder or have the same billing address.

i have a couple of coworkers that are friends that might do this, with changing their billing address' to match, but they have a question. Were either of your accounts already changed over to a framily plan? or did you have care create a new framily and move both accounts to it at the same time? or was yours already and framily and his wasn't and you just had them move/convert his to your framily?

also did you end up changing the billing address for your brother back afterwards?

also did you end up changing the billing address for your brother back afterwards?

I have thought about doing this with some coworkers also, but besides being able to change the address back, has anybody confirmed that by doing it this way everybody still has their own bill/liability?  I don't want to combine accounts under one address and then have all the lines be under the same liability. 

Guest DigiClaws

i have a couple of coworkers that are friends that might do this, with changing their billing address' to match, but they have a question. Were either of your accounts already changed over to a framily plan? or did you have care create a new framily and move both accounts to it at the same time? or was yours already and framily and his wasn't and you just had them move/convert his to your framily?

My account and my brother's account were not on a Framily Plan at the time his billing address was changed to mine. I called Customer Care when we left the store and had them convert my account to a Framily Plan and then merge my brother's account into mine. The customer care agent told me that I'd get both bills, the bill for my 4 lines and the bill for my brother's 5 lines. I'm not sure about changing the billing address back to the way it was since I don't know what will happen. Then again I may see if I can have Sprint split up the lines into groups of my choosing and have a bill sent to each. I may try that today and see how it goes when I go to get a new phone and try out this Easy Pay option.  

My account and my brother's account were not on a Framily Plan at the time his billing address was changed to mine. I called Customer Care when we left the store and had them convert my account to a Framily Plan and then merge my brother's account into mine. The customer care agent told me that I'd get both bills, the bill for my 4 lines and the bill for my brother's 5 lines. I'm not sure about changing the billing address back to the way it was since I don't know what will happen. Then again I may see if I can have Sprint split up the lines into groups of my choosing and have a bill sent to each. I may try that today and see how it goes when I go to get a new phone and try out this Easy Pay option.  

They can't split the bills into different groups - I tried to do that.  I have 7 lines that I just merged into one account.  Now I am getting the bill for all 7.  However, the 3 lines that were added were my grandparents and aunt, so I'm fine with that arrangement.

They can't split the bills into different groups - I tried to do that. I have 7 lines that I just merged into one account. Now I am getting the bill for all 7. However, the 3 lines that were added were my grandparents and aunt, so I'm fine with that arrangement.

They can't even TOL the lines to another person to split them up? I find that hard to believe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

They can't even TOL the lines to another person to split them up? I find that hard to believe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think it's more because it circumvents their rules regarding existing customers.

I have a neighbor that wants to do a Framily with me (5 plus his 2 lines gets us to 7)... We both have lines under contract (but upgraded before Jan 10th)... Have I understood it correctly that this is not allowed under the current rules?

I have a neighbor that wants to do a Framily with me (5 plus his 2 lines gets us to 7)... We both have lines under contract (but upgraded before Jan 10th)... Have I understood it correctly that this is not allowed under the current rules?

You will need to do a TOL and combine all lines into 1 account THEN you can roll that single existing account into a Framily.  You will not be able to have split bills (see the last couple posts/pages) when you do this so you need to be comfortable with that seeing as its your neighbor and not family. And NO, it is not possible to TOL out once on the Framily to split bills (see last couple posts/pages). 

• Like 1

For some accounts sprint can merge existi g customers in the same framily. Just check with customer care or go into a corporate sprint store.

• Like 1

Here's a question that someone can hopefully answer: I have a framily of 10. What if I add a line to my account? Will the extra line default to the $55/mo rate while the rest stay at $25?

Vince

It will default to the $55 a month

You would have to make 2 framilys.7 at 25 each and 4 at 40 each or something.Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Thats possible too but if the rep does not change it. It will automically have you pay the $55 a month for the one line.

Eh, it's not worth the hassle. This was just a theoretical situation. I only personally know 4/10 framily members. Hopefully, someone leaves.

Vince

If it's going to cost them $55 a month anyway they might as well get on their own plan.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Anybody else getting confused by their first bill on the Framily plan?  We merged 2 ED 1500 plans into one account and put them on a framily.  My first bill shows prorated framily billing for Jan 14-Feb 7, but with no discounts for having 10 lines.  There are no prorated billing amounts for the ED 1500 plans from Jan 8-13, but there are credits showing up for the ED 1500 for Jan 14-Feb 7 along with credits for the premium data charges.  This makes no sense and appears to be more than we should be paying.