Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

Massaponax belongs in the DC or Richmond thread, but I'll answer it here anyway.  I've only been through there while driving on I-95.  If your service was good before, they've added Band 41 to the existing site.  If it wasn't, they've not added any new sites.

- Trip

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if Shentel will be deploying 5G or will that be taken over by Sprint?

The Sprint 5G map: http://coverageort.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp? currently only shows 5G deployed in the NoVA area which I don’t think is under Shentel.. (Put a pin down in a location to see if it already has 5G.)

I know it’s still very early but, I’m just wondering.

Edited by dhrumil2504

32 minutes ago, dhrumil2504 said:

Does anyone know if Shentel will be deploying 5G or will that be taken over by Sprint?

The Sprint 5G map: http://coverageort.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp? currently only shows 5G deployed in the NoVA area which I don’t think is under Shentel.. (Put a pin down in a location to see if it already has 5G.)

shentel follows sprint in mimo & 5g Saw this the other day, forgot to post. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

We will be deploying 5G yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

That article also says uscc has 5G plans what spectrum will they be using?

uscc using 600 to start Check out this article from light reading, it just came out a few days ago. They are working on getting into  24 mmwave auction, but bought a lot of 600 and with tmobile launching in 600. It makes it easier with getting equipment and everything.

• 1 month later...

I've seen a Silverado pickup plastered in Sprint branding visiting cell sites around the Beckley area. He was in a parking lot below a Sprint site doing something on a laptop not sure if this is notable or something routine?

I've seen a Silverado pickup plastered in Sprint branding visiting cell sites around the Beckley area. He was in a parking lot below a Sprint site doing something on a laptop not sure if this is notable or something routine?

Our service trucks are 2500 4dr Silverado’s. Vinyl Sprint stickers on them. Probably a service truck. Where about a was it?

9 minutes ago, bbostwick8 said:

Our service trucks are 2500 4dr Silverado’s. Vinyl Sprint stickers on them. Probably a service truck. Where about a was it?

That's exactly the truck I saw. I saw it up on Airport road today @ 120 Clifttop Dr, Beaver, WV 25813 . Ive seen it all over town the past few weeks.

Edited by shawneyboy123

• 1 month later...

Just noticed in the most recent coverage maps that it now shows coverage all the way up the Ohio side of route 7 (Ohio River Scenic Byway).  This area used to have no coverage at all.  Four or five months ago LTE coverage showed up on the maps around Crown City, Ohio and I went up that way and still had no service.  The next month the map was updated and the coverage shown had been removed. 

Anyone know if this is accurate? 

Just noticed in the most recent coverage maps that it now shows coverage all the way up the Ohio side of route 7 (Ohio River Scenic Byway).  This area used to have no coverage at all.  Four or five months ago LTE coverage showed up on the maps around Crown City, Ohio and I went up that way and still had no service.  The next month the map was updated and the coverage shown had been removed. 
Anyone know if this is accurate? 

Looking at my map I see a tower just outside of Crown City in service and then one north in WV near Apple Grove and one to the south of Gallipolis. To the south there are no towers on the Ohio side, nor do I see any future planned builds. The towers are all on the WV side - Huntington and Pea Ridge.

2 minutes ago, bbostwick8 said:

Looking at my map I see a tower just outside of Crown City in service and then one north in WV near Apple Grove and one to the south of Gallipolis. To the south there are no towers on the Ohio side, nor do I see any future planned builds. The towers are all on the WV side - Huntington and Pea Ridge.

Thanks!  Saves me from driving up there just because i'm nosey haha.

• 2 months later...
Anyone know what happens to Shentel now that the merger is approved? Does Shentel get to stay? I know they have to fulfill their contract but I meant beyond that..

Best case scenario is they remain an affiliate of the new TMo. Shentel has 20 years of excellent performance for Sprint so hopefully TMo will see that and allow us to continue to do what we do. Nothing is being said as of yet, I guess they still have to negotiate with the SA that are suing to block the merger and I read that isn’t even going to court until October or later. So it could be awhile before we see anything out of this.

55 minutes ago, bbostwick8 said:

Best case scenario is they remain an affiliate of the new TMo. Shentel has 20 years of excellent performance for Sprint so hopefully TMo will see that and allow us to continue to do what we do. Nothing is being said as of yet, I guess they still have to negotiate with the SA that are suing to block the merger and I read that isn’t even going to court until October or later. So it could be awhile before we see anything out of this.

Here is the part of interest from an Fiercewireless article (thanks to @PythonFanPA😞

First, Shentel’s Earle MacKenzie said, Shentel cannot file an injunction to try to block the merger. If the merger is approved, the combined Sprint and T-Mobile—generally called New T-Mobile—will have 60 days to decide whether it wants to purchase Shentel’s wireless business.

“If they do decide to buy our wireless business, there is a formula that you provide to our shareholders, a very handsome return. If they choose not to buy our wireless business, Shentel will remain an affiliate of the New T-Mobile and for the next 180 days, we have the option to acquire the T- mobile customers and that work in our 7 million POPs service area at 75% of the value of the customers and asset as determined by the merger value,” MacKenzie said during the call, according to a Seeking Alpha transcription of the event. “If we can’t finance the purchase, then the New T-Mobile will finance the purchase at their cost of capital for up to five years. If Shentel decides not to buy T-Mobile network and customers, then the new T-Mobile must turn off the T-Mobile network that overlaps Shentel within two years.”

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/shentel-carrier-at-crossroads-sprint-and-t-mobile-merger

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

This year+ old post has a link to the sec.gov agreement lists pretty much the same thing stated above by PythonFanPA. The only thing I see that it adds is the new Tmobile would have to help with debt financing if Shentel decides to buy the subscribers. 

I don't understand the last paragraph of 8 it looks like the Acquired Entity(new Tmobile) has to sell of it's brand to a third party not related to sprint if no decision is made within 2 years. Maybe that it used to keep a fire under them to make a decision on what to do with Shentel.

Here is the part of interest from an Fiercewireless article (thanks to [mention=5637]PythonFanPA[/mention][emoji20]

First, Shentel’s Earle MacKenzie said, Shentel cannot file an injunction to try to block the merger. If the merger is approved, the combined Sprint and T-Mobile—generally called New T-Mobile—will have 60 days to decide whether it wants to purchase Shentel’s wireless business.

“If they do decide to buy our wireless business, there is a formula that you provide to our shareholders, a very handsome return. If they choose not to buy our wireless business, Shentel will remain an affiliate of the New T-Mobile and for the next 180 days, we have the option to acquire the T- mobile customers and that work in our 7 million POPs service area at 75% of the value of the customers and asset as determined by the merger value,” MacKenzie said during the call, according to a Seeking Alpha transcription of the event. “If we can’t finance the purchase, then the New T-Mobile will finance the purchase at their cost of capital for up to five years. If Shentel decides not to buy T-Mobile network and customers, then the new T-Mobile must turn off the T-Mobile network that overlaps Shentel within two years.”

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/shentel-carrier-at-crossroads-sprint-and-t-mobile-merger

I think it’s going to be good for everyone. I would expect it to be bumpy in the beginning but in the end I think it’ll be good.