Jump to content
marioc21

Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bbostwick8 said:

 


I was told that soft launch was taking place 12/13 overnight into 12/14 for select devices. (Samsung S8 and above, iPhone 8 and above and LG V30). Coming in OTA update. I can’t verify this... maybe someone else can verify this? VoLTE will need to be enabled in Network settings.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Your information was correct. I had to reboot my phone, but as soon as it booted back up, VoLTE was working, at least in Woodstock. I'll be going to work later and will look to see that it's working between Woodstock and Front Royal, but I expect it will be. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bbostwick8 said:

 


I was told that soft launch was taking place 12/13 overnight into 12/14 for select devices. (Samsung S8 and above, iPhone 8 and above and LG V30). Coming in OTA update. I can’t verify this... maybe someone else can verify this? VoLTE will need to be enabled in Network settings.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Accepted and then verbally confirmed on Reddit:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Accepted and then verbally confirmed on Reddit:

 

Still waiting on Central Illinois...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Still waiting on Central Illinois...

Central Il reppin.  :) . You live in C/U??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shaferz said:

Central Il reppin.  :) . You live in C/U??

Yup.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 11:58 AM, RAvirani said:

Still waiting on Central Illinois...

 

On 12/14/2018 at 12:53 PM, shaferz said:

Central Il reppin.  :) . You live in C/U??

Just placed my first VoLTE call in the Central Illinois market! Voice quality to other Sprint and Verizon users is great. I’ll test with AT&T and T-Mobile soon. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found a 15x15 carrier in chambersburg today. 

46645077-A3D5-4BF4-8F3E-F2A99BE434F2.png

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, stealth said:

Found a 15x15 carrier in chambersburg today. 

 

Yep! 

Enjoy that 15+10 B25 network :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Yep! 

Enjoy that 15+10 B25 network :)

They also have band 41 in Chambersburg also. Was just up there last week

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

They also have band 41 in Chambersburg also. Was just up there last week

Yes that sector I was on had 5x5 band 26, 10x10 and 15x15 bad 25, (2) 20mhz and (1) 10mhz of band 41. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, that is quite common in Chambersburg. Not sure it is all sites, but it probably is except when you get out in the rural country.

I saw this same exact configuration a few days ago and there was a bunch of sites in my SCP neighbor site list that all appeared to have the new 8615 earfcn 15X15 band 25 carrier. A 10x10 band 25 carrier in the ""A" block has been active for a long time(EARFCN 8140) I still have to prove that we have aggregation between the 8140 and 8615 carriers for 25X25. Band 41 has been there for a long time.

Shentel is doing some great work.  It does worry me that T-Mobile is getting involved.  When you have a system that is working very well, I hate to turn it over to somebody that COULD cause some issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah there are a lot of rural areas around chambersburg that you can’t get a signal with T-Mobile. And then there’s some areas in town like in Hanover pa where shentel needs to place more towers or small cells due to congestion. I know in my area Verizon has been adding small cells and macros like crazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, stealth said:

Yeah there are a lot of rural areas around chambersburg that you can’t get a signal with T-Mobile. And then there’s some areas in town like in Hanover pa where shentel needs to place more towers or small cells due to congestion. I know in my area Verizon has been adding small cells and macros like crazy. 

There is always going to be a spot or two somewhere that is questionable for all carriers.  Even the "Big Guys" have poor spots.

In General, Shentel has done a great job in their owned territory. 

When they have all three bands operating with the wide channels on both band 25 & 41, their service is mostly great. T-Mobile is normally in 4th place when it comes to coverage in South Central Pennsylvania. T-Mobile is very good at PR.  Not as good with their actual service.  They have their good spots, but the overall experience is not up to Shentel's standards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I’m waiting for the tower serving my home to have more spectrum brought online. Only 5x5 of 25 and 26 online 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stealth said:

Yes I’m waiting for the tower serving my home to have more spectrum brought online. Only 5x5 of 25 and 26 online 

Yes, they still have some of that around in Rural areas.  That is enough in some locations.  As that gets saturated, they should come back and add more band 25 and sometimes they add band 41. There is added expense to increase the capacity of your site, so they do not do it until they see saturation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yep, that is quite common in Chambersburg. Not sure it is all sites, but it probably is except when you get out in the rural country.

I saw this same exact configuration a few days ago and there was a bunch of sites in my SCP neighbor site list that all appeared to have the new 8615 earfcn 15X15 band 25 carrier. A 10x10 band 25 carrier in the ""A" block has been active for a long time(EARFCN 8140) I still have to prove that we have aggregation between the 8140 and 8615 carriers for 25X25. Band 41 has been there for a long time.

Shentel is doing some great work.  It does worry me that T-Mobile is getting involved.  When you have a system that is working very well, I hate to turn it over to somebody that COULD cause some issues.

TMobile owns 10x10 C Block so that would allow that carrier to go 20x20. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

TMobile owns 10x10 G Block so that would allow that carrier to go 20x20. 

Not trying to argue, just curious...

I thought Sprint owned the G block nationwide? Also, isn't G block only 5x5?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Galaxyguy said:

Not trying to argue, just curious...

I thought Sprint owned the G block nationwide? Also, isn't G block only 5x5?

Sprint/Shentel did and still does owns the "G" block. In at least SOME of the Shentel area, this ""G" block is being combined with the "C" block they obtained in  a swap/trade with T-Mobile.  That combination is either showing up as a 10X10 or a 15x15 in some areas of Shentel.

I still have not proven that it is aggregated with a 10X10 block in the "A block that Shentel already had established.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Galaxyguy said:

Not trying to argue, just curious...

I thought Sprint owned the G block nationwide? Also, isn't G block only 5x5?

Correct on both counts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chamb said:

Sprint/Shentel did and still does owns the "G" block. In at least SOME of the Shentel area, this ""G" block is being combined with the "C" block they obtained in  a swap/trade with T-Mobile.  That combination is either showing up as a 10X10 or a 15x15 in some areas of Shentel.

I still have not proven that it is aggregated with a 10X10 block in the "A block that Shentel already had established.

Yes, that's what I had read previously. Just wanted to be sure. I know G block can and has been combined with adjacent spectrum to make 10x10 or even 15x15 in some areas. I just had never heard of T-Mobile owning any of the G block previously. Did T-Mobile swap G Block with Sprint anywhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Galaxyguy said:

Yes, that's what I had read previously. Just wanted to be sure. I know G block can and has been combined with adjacent spectrum to make 10x10 or even 15x15 in some areas. I just had never heard of T-Mobile owning any of the G block previously. Did T-Mobile swap G Block with Sprint anywhere?

Not that I know of.  It does not make sense to me for that to happen, but I guess it could in some area.  I never seen any mention of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chamb said:

Not that I know of.  It does not make sense to me for that to happen, but I guess it could in some area.  I never seen any mention of it.

OK, maybe Tengen meant B25, not necessarily G Block. That would make more sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not trying to argue, just curious...
I thought Sprint owned the G block nationwide? Also, isn't G block only 5x5?
I edited it but it didn't change I meant C Block

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not that I know of.  It does not make sense to me for that to happen, but I guess it could in some area.  I never seen any mention of it.
I meant C block. I thought I edited that but it didn't change

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that makes more sense. I hadn't heard of Sprint trading any G block.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Posts

    • That would involve another lengthy merger proposal with the FCC and DOJ.   Another 2 years wasted.   A possible new administration...  IDK.... don't like that idea.    Who's going to teach them  how to run a network?   (LOL)... please don't say ....    
    • A solution to what exactly?  anti-competitive?  Well when it is to buy or not to buy, the only answer is not to buy. I guess the judge is considering Dish's prospective. Will they get the job done.  I think, with deadlines so near, and them owning spectrum for so long, we have to look at intent.  So far, with the lack of building anything, that shows pretty solid intent right there.  As soon as the carriers get spectrum, they toss that stuff up on towers asap. Look how much has been deployed for B66, B71, B14. Look how much 5G is already deployed.  Dish, in the last year before deadlines annouced 1, maybe 1.5billion for an IoT network.    I was actually kinda thinking about this. Dish needs to be willing to buy Sprint's entire network. Sprint essentially stays as is, minus spectrum licenses and postpaid customers. 
    • I was just in Boulder yesterday. It works and also more than that works. You have 4xca interband active there too. 25/b41+b41+b41 is active. Sent from my SM-G977P using Tapatalk
    • By the way, although I have VoLTE turned on, It doesn't actually work yet. I'm in Boulder county Colorado which I think has VoLTE activated. 
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...