Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

6 hours ago, Trip said:

Massive MIMO in Farmville.

https://imgur.com/a/cFTDQVH

More in the Premiere thread.

- Trip

It’s been awhile since I’ve been down to Farmville. Nice to see they have massive mimo now since the last time I went down. 

I drove up to it and saw the Massive MIMO panels. 

But although it fits the MM pattern, Shentel has filled up the GCIs that would typically be reserved for Massive MIMO and thus had to find a GCI to use elsewhere in the FExxx-FFxxx range.  They also have small cells and other things in the FE9xx range, as Shentel seems to use it as their all-purpose overflow.

- Trip

• Like 2
  • Love 1

To expand a bit, according to the MLS data, the highest patterned GCI currently in use is FE8B0, which would translate to FFD00 for Band 41.  If they followed the pattern that Sprint is using for Massive MIMO in DC, their first Massive MIMO would be at FFA90, which is already in use. 

It actually seems like Shentel is going to run out of pattern-capable GCIs relatively soon.  It looks like FE96A is being used for a DAS, so that implies that FE969/FFDB9 is as high as it can go unless they shift those GCIs up some more or skip ahead to unused values in between. 

(The Mini Macro in Farmville is at FE9F4, for any interested.)

I note the MLS data also shows FE985/FE986/FE987 being used near Harrisonburg with the PCIs matching the Mount Crawford site, so it looks like Massive MIMO is up there too.

- Trip

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
As in Shentel?  Wonder if they'll be affiliates for T-mobile or if they'll buy the wireless business outright.

It’s hard to say right now. I don’t want to get carried away making assumptions. [emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

It seems like they have options. Being in the South Central PA Shentel market, I'd love to see Shentel wireless business purchased by T-Mobile. I hate having zero resources to get phones repaired, make actual billing inquiries, get the same deals on phones.. as well as being an ignored market as far as upgrades to towers more than 1/4 mile off of I-81/I-83. 

1) New T-Mobile could buy Shentel’s wireless business; 2) Shentel could buy T-Mobile’s subs in its footprint at 75% of their value with financing help from New T-Mobile (if needed); or 3) T-Mobile would have to turn off the competing network; with this, Shentel would get rid of a competitor and gain access to T-Mobile’s spectrum. For the right deal, including the purchase of T-Mobile’s subs, we expect management could take leverage up to 4.5x.”

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/shentel-carrier-at-crossroads-sprint-and-t-mobile-merger

Full Disclosure: Prior Shentel employee for 5 years, love the company and hope the best for them. 

1 hour ago, Mustang46L said:

It seems like they have options. Being in the South Central PA Shentel market, I'd love to see Shentel wireless business purchased by T-Mobile. I hate having zero resources to get phones repaired, make actual billing inquiries, get the same deals on phones.. as well as being an ignored market as far as upgrades to towers more than 1/4 mile off of I-81/I-83. 

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/shentel-carrier-at-crossroads-sprint-and-t-mobile-merger

Full Disclosure: Prior Shentel employee for 5 years, love the company and hope the best for them. 

For option #3, Shentel would stay a New TMobile affiliate, correct?  They would have access to all of New TMobile's spectrum and deploy/manage the network in that area?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 5:15 AM, bbostwick8 said:

Going to have to change this whole thing to T5GRU. emoji38.png

Which is already registered by someone else.  :td:

Robert

4 hours ago, S4GRU said:

Which is already registered by someone else.  :td:

Robert

We have grown beyond one carrier.  Try 5ggru.com or wirelessguru.com

20 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

We have grown beyond one carrier.  Try 5ggru.com or wirelessguru.com

What I liked about S4GRU was that the site drew the technical people rather that the ones that had phone problems  from drops or water issue and billing issues.   Technical issues got discussed here and solved.  Problem children were on REDDIT or similar sites with crazy issues that they often created themselves. 

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, bbostwick8 said:

Got it several days ago. emoji106.png

Guessing the T-Mobile and Shentel talks must be going well at this point then. 

Guessing the T-Mobile and Shentel talks must be going well at this point then. 

Unknown really. I’m pretty sure it was just a mass text to all subscribers. We have an ‘all hands’ meeting next Thursday. Many of us think that they’ll be announcing what’s going to happen as this is close to the end of the negotiation period. We’ll have to wait and see.

I'm in Shentel area, but no such text (yet?). Just updated network config, too, with no (immediate) result.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I got mine like Monday? Pretty sure it’s a Sprint thing not Shentel. Maybe only sending it to certain model of phones too. *shrug*

8 hours ago, davidtm said:

Pixel 3a on Sprint here . . .

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Likely Samsung S20s in areas covered by T-Mobile towers.