Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

18 hours ago, davidtm said:

Is that recommended for us in Shentel territory? Would that smoothe the transition?
(Pixel 3a here)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

No it’s not required. My 24 month contract was almost up so paid off the two months I had left and had it unlocked just to do some testing on a few other carriers with the esim. Atm my esim has T-Mobile Prepaid. And getting about the same download speeds of between 100-130 mbps on both Sprint and T-Mobile. Uploads are usually around 5mbps on Sprint and about 9-12 on the prepaid T-Mobile line. 

Sprint LTE Speed Test

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16VQiOoA5PpOD8vTr4cZBC_ZvFqY9T-FX/view?usp=drivesdk

T-Mobile Speed Test

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vy34Kg1flJPoPAxM30i9k5sVQgRaWew1/view?usp=drivesdk

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warning: Long, but worth the read.  I just wanted to give a good customer service experience with Shentel. On one sector of the tower closest to my house (Woodstock, VA), B26 had zero data throug

You guys are in for a treat. Shentel is almost universally agreed to have the some of the best sprint markets anywhere.   Soon™   Sent from my Nexus 5

Planned Upgrade and New Sites Central VA Market Southern WV and KY Markets PA Market

Posted Images

Any new developments?

Nope. Still ‘negotiating’. Was told don’t expect to hear anything Sept 1 (the end of 60day period where TMo has option to buy Shentel Wireless assets).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter's (Sprint) iPhone 6S is dying, and she asked me to day if she should just go to T-Mobile for an updated phone. I suggested that she first consult with her sister who also has an iPhone (and has wrangled good deals), and maybe do it online via Sprint's web site.

Any suggestions to add or instead of this plan in these in-between times?

Well... let’s all put on our Magenta shirts. TMobile has announced their intent to buy Shentel Wireless.

• Sad 1
My daughter's (Sprint) iPhone 6S is dying, and she asked me to day if she should just go to T-Mobile for an updated phone. I suggested that she first consult with her sister who also has an iPhone (and has wrangled good deals), and maybe do it online via Sprint's web site.
Any suggestions to add or instead of this plan in these in-between times?

Sprints website no longer exists. Probably best just to wait for a bit unless the phone is hardly working. Even then I’d search some used listings for one before I’d get in the mess of TMobile/Sprint services. Anything you get from a store (unless you’re in a shentel Sprint market) is going to be TMobile based and if their network sucks in your area you’re stuck.

• Like 1

So, she went to an Apple store for the phone (Boston). She says they have her a Sprint SIM card, but she hasn't needed it, maybe because of TMobile, and she's getting better coverage than her boyfriend's Verizon phone. I suggested she keep the SIM to use in areas like here where TMobile is bad.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Like 1
8 hours ago, bbostwick8 said:

Well... let’s all put on our Magenta shirts. TMobile has announced their intent to buy Shentel Wireless.

They do intend to buy out Shentel for the Sprint Part. Only thing holding it back is that they need to settle on a price. Hoping it don’t take to long. 

T-Mobile/Shentel Deal

They do intend to buy out Shentel for the Sprint Part. Only thing holding it back is that they need to settle on a price. Hoping it don’t take to long. 

T-Mobile/Shentel Deal

Well look for service to degrade I do believe. I don’t think they are going to be better.

3 hours ago, bbostwick8 said:

Well look for service to degrade I do believe. I don’t think they are going to be better.

Really depends on if they keep all the sites. The increased amount of low band should definately help. It also could be an easy first root metrics state win for T-Mobile for not too much money just like Shentel did a couple of years ago.

10 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Really depends on if they keep all the sites. The increased amount of low band should definately help. It also could be an easy first root metrics state win for T-Mobile for not too much money just like Shentel did a couple of years ago.

If TM does actually acquire Shentel, they need to keep the Shentel network intact and add TM spectrum to the Shentel Sites.  Shentel built the near perfect network. Shentel is way way better than TM ever will be in this area. Shentel has the backbone established and it was done correctly. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, chamb said:

If TM does actually acquire Shentel, they need to keep the Shentel network intact and add TM spectrum to the Shentel Sites.  Shentel built the near perfect network. Shentel is way way better than TM ever will be in this area. Shentel has the backbone established and it was done correctly. 

I can't imagine T-Mobile would do anything but keep nearly the entire Shentel network - their legacy network in Shentel markets is pretty terrible.  If they start to decomm a strong network, they're going to lose customers left and right.

Just my Two Cents with the pending in T-Mobile and Shentel stuff going on. I have recently have noticed on the www.sprint.com/coverage map that most of Charlottesville/Albemarle County and surrounding areas on the map do have 5G. Along with TMO having 5G in most of the areas in Charlottesville/Albemarle County and surrounding areas to some capacity as well. My guess is since both have 5g in most places that it should hopefully be a good transition from Sprint to TMO. If all things go good. I did have TMO Prepaid the past month on my Unlocked iPhone XS Max and had a really good experience in all the areas I have gone in Charlottesville/Albemarle County and some of the surrounding areas. I am hoping for the best and the transition goes smoothly. I know the few Sprint Stores that I pass between home and work are still branded as Sprint. My guess is due to Shentel and TMO negotiating on TMO trying to buy Shentels Part of Sprint. I did have very good speeds both up and down on TMO and voice coverage as well. I do hope that Shentels area stays the same and gets better after TMO/Shentel stuff is over. 

On 8/27/2020 at 8:21 AM, bbostwick8 said:

Sprints website no longer exists. Probably best just to wait for a bit unless the phone is hardly working. Even then I’d search some used listings for one before I’d get in the mess of TMobile/Sprint services. Anything you get from a store (unless you’re in a shentel Sprint market) is going to be TMobile based and if their network sucks in your area you’re stuck.

I was just on Sprint's website 5 minutes ago. Definitely still very much exists. 

• Like 1
On 8/27/2020 at 8:21 AM, bbostwick8 said:

I get redirected too. But a good work around is just go to www.sprint.com/coverage and it will bring up the coverage map and you can select the login tab from their to access the full site. 

• 3 weeks later...

Had an interesting day today not long before I went into work and when I was working. Saw a Technician out for Shentel using a Sprint truck looking at a a telephone line. I’m assuming they may be looking at putting up on the pole at some point. But stopped and talked a few minutes and asked what’s going on with the TMO and Shentel negations and alls he knew is that they didn’t take TMO up on the first offer they did for Shentel. And at work one of the Sprint Store workers came in and since the ones here work for Shentel I asked the same question. He said that Shentel had declined the first offer and that they are trying to negotiate a deal. He seemed like they will come to a good deal soon he hopes. 

• 3 weeks later...