Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

Picked up a Note 5 on sprint from the Samsung Ultimate Test Drive.

Boy is the network spotty right now in lynchburg..LTE almost everywhere but the download speed is worse than 3G.

Looking forward to watching the network evolve over the next month.

Yeah, they have only two sites live in L'Burg at the moment. They are in good spots to provide decent coverage, but that's way too many people on too few sites. Need much more capacity.

But if you like the Note 5, you should enter the S4GRU contest to win one for Christmas. It ends tomorrow evening. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-402-just-in-time-for-christmas-raffleenter-to-win-a-new-64gb-samsung-galaxy-note-5-white/

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 1

Yeah, they have only two sites live in L'Burg at the moment. They are in good spots to provide decent coverage, but that's way too many people on too few sites. Need much more capacity.

But if you like the Note 5, you should enter the S4GRU contest to win one for Christmas. It ends tomorrow evening. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-402-just-in-time-for-christmas-raffleenter-to-win-a-new-64gb-samsung-galaxy-note-5-white/

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

You are not kidding, data speeds are actually worse than 3G on those towers. 

When I force to 3g I can get 1.5 down and around 1 up. 

On those towers I average .5 down and .5 up. 

Local reps are telling me Jan 1 for the conversion...but we'll see. 

• Like 1

Same here, January 1st in Huntington.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

If the rollout goes as planned, we'll switch in a heartbeat. Living in Lynchburg and traveling to Columbus frequently, most of my time is in the nTelos Zone...Can't wait :-)

Connected to a B41 site (judging from the 01A GCI) with nice speeds. But I'm puzzled as to why SCP doesn't display the band info. Maybe it had to do with nTelos naming conventions? Implementation process bug?

0438bf599ff7be6cd7cf046eba30bec8.jpg

80c45ac0cd2c8400f53cf1e839ccb123.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 on Tapatalk

The band is not something that the API presents to SCP, it's guessed based on things like sector ID, PLMN, and the like in a hard-coded fashion.  So it doesn't know that 19, 1A, and 1B are B26 in Sprint territory because SCP is being told that by the phone, it's because it's been hard-coded that those sector IDs are B26 when the PLMN is 310120. 

SCP simply hasn't been updated to show that the 0x2710 offset refers to B41.

- Trip

• Like 3

That was my fault I was seeing 01B as B41 and not 01A and 01B as B41. I left a note in the SCP thread about it so it should be fixed in the next update.

I am not sure if mike will use the offset to pass the B25 notes to B41 though.

I am suprised at how much B41 is live though.

• Like 2

Was told over the phone by tech support that the iPhone 5 is a 3G only device and the 9.2 update "accidentally" placed an "Enable LTE" toggle in the settings even though the device doesn't really have it. I know that tech support doesn't get a lot of information but that to me is flat out ridiculous. 

As if you hadn't already assumed, my mothers iPhone 5 still cannot connect to LTE no matter what.

Was told over the phone by tech support that the iPhone 5 is a 3G only device and the 9.2 update "accidentally" placed an "Enable LTE" toggle in the settings even though the device doesn't really have it. I know that tech support doesn't get a lot of information but that to me is flat out ridiculous. 

As if you hadn't already assumed, my mothers iPhone 5 still cannot connect to LTE no matter what.

That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!

-Anthony

Wasn't the iPhone 4 LTE capable?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Wasn't the iPhone 4 LTE capable?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

No. The iPhone 5 was the first LTE capable iPhone.

The original iPhone was only capable of GSM/EDGE. The iPhone 3G was capable of, you guessed it, 3G, or HSDPA. The iPhone 3GS was capable of of 7.2 Mbps HSDPA. The iPhone 4 was basically the same, network wise, as the 3GS, but a mid-year refresh of it brought along the first CDMA capable iPhone, but was only CDMA 1x and CDMA EVDO. The iPhone 4S brought along the first "all-in-one" iPhone, being that it was both GSM and CDMA capable all in the same device, where-as before the 4S(and after), you had to get a separate device to use the other network technologies. And the 4S also included HSPA+, which is what may have made a lot of people think that it was LTE capable, because iOS 6, I believe, brought along a "4G" network indicator, but only on AT&T. Then the iPhone 5 rolled out, which brought along LTE connectivity. And the rest is history (all newer models i.e. 5S, 6, 6S, all brought along added LTE bands and capabilities like CA and VoLTE).

Just a quick history lesson, if anyone is interested. :)

-Anthony

• Like 6

Does anyone have a update on Lynchburg? Been wanting to move my line over to Sprint for sometime now so it would be incredibly helpful to know how the upgrades are going there.

It appears that there are around 2 active LTE towers. Data is SLOOOOOW  (.5 mbpsish) via LTE and functions 70% of the time in my testing. 3G is still solid but it is no where close to being complete. 

• Like 1

The whole Ntelos neighborhood appears to continue as a work in progress. So far where I have seen 4g it has varied in speed, from less than landline DSL, to quite respectable but never as fast as native Sprint. Sometmes though, you get the 4g signal and NO data, sometimes the 4g equipment gets turned off and you get 3g only....the only good thing is that it maintains the back end and for 3g it's pretty good. 

I've also noticed that, if I lose LTE and fall back to 3G, my phone is reluctant to reconnect to LTE if I've moved to where I know it's available. I usually have to toggle data off/on, then it's the eHRPD without data until it reverts to EVDO after a min or two. (Boy, do I still miss having the Reset Mobile Connection button function in SCP! - *looking at you, Google*)

I'm hoping this will improve with optimization, resetting switching, or whatever with time.

I've also noticed that, if I lose LTE and fall back to 3G, my phone is reluctant to reconnect to LTE if I've moved to where I know it's available. I usually have to toggle data off/on, then it's the eHRPD without data until it reverts to EVDO after a min or two. (Boy, do I still miss having the Reset Mobile Connection button function in SCP! - *looking at you, Google*)

I'm hoping this will improve with optimization, resetting switching, or whatever with time.

Have you toggled airplane mode rather than the mobile data switch?

Ok, question guys...

What would cause my phone to roam, example: just tried to make a call, said "you are currently roaming, please press 1 to make a collect call".

I'm so fed up at this point....

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk