LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

Thanks very much for that info.  I figured that the GCI, PCI and TAC showed the tower.  I have my home location (GCI, PCI and TAC) written down on a piece of paper.  I wanted to see if I was on the same tower at my work location.  the GCI at home is 0FECS102 and work is 0FECS103.  PCE at home is 355 and at work is 17.  I figured the difference in the last digit of the GCI (2 vs 3) was the tower array that I was connected to.  I have no idea what the PCE means.  The TAC was the same for both. 

Is there some kind of list somewhere that you can look up tower locations by this provided info?

This is interesting stuff!.  

Yes the last 2 digits of the GCI is the tower sector.  In terms of looking up tower location there is no master database to translate the GCI, PCI and TAC information into individual towers.  It will have to be a manual laborious task to get that information in your market.  Of course you can rely on others on S4GRU that live in your area to help with that task to provide those pieces of information.  I wish it was as simple as it is to find CDMA tower on SignalCheck.

Anyone having garbled audio can do this as a workaround. It helped me.

##data#

Tap more

Tap advanced

Tap edit and enter msl

Tap evrc_b

Tap disable

Tap back key and phone will reboot

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Anyone else with the garble, crackle earpiece test this out? If so, how are your results?

Mercurial1

How long has you tested this out and around how many phone calls have you made? Did it completely fix this issue or is it a temporary fix as in if you reboot you have to do it again? Will did you learn about this fix and what else does doing the above do to our phones?

Thank you

Anyone having garbled audio can do this as a workaround. It helped me.

##data#

Tap more

Tap advanced

Tap edit and enter msl

Tap evrc_b

Tap disable

Tap back key and phone will reboot

And that may be placebo effect.  Unless you viewed the service option on your CDMA1X engineering screen during the affected calls, you cannot be sure that you were even using the EVRC-B codec.

AJ

And that may be placebo effect. Unless you viewed the service option on your CDMA1X engineering screen during the affected calls, you cannot be sure that you were even using the EVRC-B codec.

AJ

Placebo? Who cares so long as my cellular hypochondria is satisfied!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Thanks very much for that info.  I figured that the GCI, PCI and TAC showed the tower.  I have my home location (GCI, PCI and TAC) written down on a piece of paper.  I wanted to see if I was on the same tower at my work location.  the GCI at home is 0FECS102 and work is 0FECS103.  PCE at home is 355 and at work is 17.  I figured the difference in the last digit of the GCI (2 vs 3) was the tower array that I was connected to.  I have no idea what the PCE means.  The TAC was the same for both. 

Is there some kind of list somewhere that you can look up tower locations by this provided info?

GCI values could be unique -- I don't have enough knowledge to confirm that they are 100% unique, but I think it is a safe bet to say they are unique for each wireless provider. As has been mentioned elsewhere, the first 3 characters appear to identify the market, next 3 identify the site, last 2 identify the sector (typically 01, 02, 03). PCI is not unique, as the range is only 0-501, but each specific cell sector is assigned a value. Some markets have confirmed specific offsets between each sector, i.e. a value of 169 between each. When you see a GCI, the PCI you see is associated with that GCI. You should always see the same GCI and PCI paired up together. TAC is a fairly new addition to the app; I do not know much about it and haven't been monitoring it enough to comment on what it represents.

I am working on adding a feature to SignalCheck that logs sites as well as the ability to add your own "notes" to a site. Also experimenting with a system to upload logs to a central server to help correlate IDs, but all of this is still in its infancy and have no idea when it will be ready.

-Mike

• Like 2

GCI values could be unique -- I don't have enough knowledge to confirm that they are 100% unique, but I think it is a safe bet to say they are unique for each wireless provider. As has been mentioned elsewhere, the first 3 characters appear to identify the market, next 3 identify the site, last 2 identify the sector (typically 01, 02, 03). PCI is not unique, as the range is only 0-501, but each specific cell sector is assigned a value. Some markets have confirmed specific offsets between each sector, i.e. a value of 169 between each. When you see a GCI, the PCI you see is associated with that GCI. You should always see the same GCI and PCI paired up together. TAC is a fairly new addition to the app; I do not know much about it and haven't been monitoring it enough to comment on what it represents.

I am working on adding a feature to SignalCheck that logs sites as well as the ability to add your own "notes" to a site. Also experimenting with a system to upload logs to a central server to help correlate IDs, but all of this is still in its infancy and have no idea when it will be ready.

-Mike

Mike, your idea for the additional features in SignalCheck is awesome!

Just imagine what a wealth of information could be gathered if users were able to contribute data from their app!

I'm excited about this. If you need donations to help fund your time and cost, I'm in! That's quite the undertaking.

• Like 1

GCI values could be unique -- I don't have enough knowledge to confirm that they are 100% unique, but I think it is a safe bet to say they are unique for each wireless provider.

You are correct. They should be unique for each provider.

The_Chemist needs to start up a spreadsheet like many other markets have done. It is neat being able to know exactly which site you are connected to by looking at the info on SignalCheck or the engineering screens.

• Like 1

You are correct. They should be unique for each provider.

The_Chemist needs to start up a spreadsheet like many other markets have done. It is neat being able to know exactly which site you are connected to by looking at the info on SignalCheck or the engineering screens.

I can do that!  I know the SignalCheck readings from 1 LTE NV complete tower in my area now.  Do you think it would be a good idea to post the spreadsheet and let others add as we gather info?  I could use some helpful hints as to how to go about this...

I can do that!  I know the SignalCheck readings from 1 LTE NV complete tower in my area now.  Do you think it would be a good idea to post the spreadsheet and let others add as we gather info?  I could use some helpful hints as to how to go about this...

Check your market thread and see if you have others that could help.  Shoot me a PM if you want a template like the one I have that has evolved since last year:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4726-new-orleans-and-louisiana-markets-mapspreadsheet/

Check your market thread and see if you have others that could help.  Shoot me a PM if you want a template like the one I have that has evolved since last year:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4726-new-orleans-and-louisiana-markets-mapspreadsheet/

I'll PM you this evening.  I'm at work now.  Thanks for the help.  I've taken so much information from this site, this way I can give something back to help others here.  This could also be useful for Mike when he adds additional information to SignalCheck. 

• Like 1

My favorite thing about this G2 that nobody else has mentioned is...the sensor on the front that can tell when your face is against the phone turns the screen off...it's on the left side, instead of right side.  I cannot tell you how many times I've tried reaching my pulldown bar while on a call and on my GS3, it'd turn my screen off because the sensor would see my thumb. :blink:

This phone doesn't have that issue...unless you're a lefty.

Last night i was going through the settings just to have something to do and i clicked on the led notification light and it said back side led. And me being like wat? I took the outer layer of my defender off to find that the power button had a led around it... pure awesome imo just would.be nice if it blinked for more that just 3 notifications.

Last night i was going through the settings just to have something to do and i clicked on the led notification light and it said back side led. And me being like wat? I took the outer layer of my defender off to find that the power button had a led around it... pure awesome imo just would.be nice if it blinked for more that just 3 notifications.

My brother used my phone for a phone call and I noticed the LED light pulsated during the call.  Looked awesome!

My brother used my phone for a phone call and I noticed the LED light pulsated during the call. Looked awesome!

I thought it was awesome too, only thing is it only works for 3 things. I kinda wish it could be used along side the front led. I.e. if i get a test the front and rear would blink, or (if you dont have a case that blocks the power button) when the phone is face down you will notice the led. But i have a defender for now but since i have discovered the rear led i kinda want to get a trident case (: just to see the rear led.

My favorite thing about this G2 that nobody else has mentioned is...the sensor on the front that can tell when your face is against the phone turns the screen off...it's on the left side, instead of right side.  I cannot tell you how many times I've tried reaching my pulldown bar while on a call and on my GS3, it'd turn my screen off because the sensor would see my thumb. :blink:

This phone doesn't have that issue...unless you're a lefty.

You should be using the notification window pulldown button in the navigation bar so you avoid this issue.

TAC is a fairly new addition to the app; I do not know much about it and haven't been monitoring it enough to comment on what it represents.

A TAC is like a LAC or a NID.  A mobile registers within a certain TAC, then pages for that mobile are delivered to all sectors in that TAC and only that TAC.  It can also be used for roaming control.  A mobile may be permitted to roam in one TAC but not another.  We see this a lot between T-Mobile and AT&T.

AJ

• Like 1

Finally gonna make the switch to Android when Sprint has the LG G2 on sale for $50 on Black Friday. I've been in the Sprint store looking at phones for months (including the LG G2 recently) so they'll probably erupt into a cheer lol.

I finally got my g2 today and have been somewhat impressed with it. Compared to my HTC one I used just for a few weeks voice signal doesn't seem to be quite as good but is still decent and I happen to have a few towers that are fully complete so I get 4G in the main part of the city. I held a usable lte sign to the back of Walmart today.

Now my home tree just needs to get lit up and I'll be set!

Finally gonna make the switch to Android when Sprint has the LG G2 on sale for $50 on Black Friday. I've been in the Sprint store looking at phones for months (including the LG G2 recently) so they'll probably erupt into a cheer lol.

I like your case in your avatar.  Got the same one except in Infinity White.

My brother used my phone for a phone call and I noticed the LED light pulsated during the call.  Looked awesome!

Yup that back power button LED lights up when you receive a phone call.  Its kinda cool that LG incorporated that feature.