LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

I did a quick search and didn't see anyone else having this problem. My G2 is unable to use data on wifi while talking on the phone. I know there is no SVLTE/EVDO, but I am on Wifi.... if anyone else having this issue?

I don't mean to sound too elementary, but have you tried unplugging your router and modem? I know with Comcast, I have to power cycle at least once a week or it becomes unusable.

I know this is the G2 thread, but I just picked up a One Max and will be doing RF comparisons against the G2 and Nexus 5!

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

I would love to see your comparisons.

EVDO/1X seems to be on par with the G2 if not a few dBm worse.

Haven't had a chance to do LTE comparisons yet.

I'll keep you guys posted!

I don't have the One Max but wasn't impressed with it when I got to use it in the Sprint store today. It was on par with my One holding a -100 to -105 signal but having the Nexus 5 right next to me holding a -90 signal has got my ready to pull the trigger and buy a nexus 5 online. Of course my brief couple of minutes testing connectivity doesn't really amount to much but thought it was note worthy with its comparison to my One and Nexus 5.

The One Max is a big phone but wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be.

• Like 1

I don't have the One Max but wasn't impressed with it when I got to use it in the Sprint store today. It was on par with my One holding a -100 to -105 signal but having the Nexus 5 right next to me holding a -90 signal has got my ready to pull the trigger and buy a nexus 5 online. Of course my brief couple of minutes testing connectivity doesn't really amount to much but thought it was note worthy with its comparison to my One and Nexus 5.

Definitely a noticeable decrease in signal strength. Enough to warrant a return? That's yet to be seen.

So far, compared to the G2, the screen quality is about on par. I've noticed the colors pop more on the G2, but that's a trade off I'd be willing to make.

The LG rep came into my store today and mentioned the Kit Kat update is 10 to 14 days away. Take that as you will.

I'll continue my testing as I've only owned this device for a few hrs.

Initial impressions are good. I've always been a fan of HTC and their UI. RF performance isn't as important to me as it used to be.

To be continued...

• Like 2

Definitely a noticeable decrease in signal strength. Enough to warrant a return? That's yet to be seen.

So far, compared to the G2, the screen quality is about on par. I've noticed the colors pop more on the G2, but that's a trade off I'd be willing to make.

The LG rep came into my store today and mentioned the Kit Kat update is 10 to 14 days away. Take that as you will.

I'll continue my testing as I've only owned this device for a few hrs.

Initial impressions are good. I've always been a fan of HTC and their UI. RF performance isn't as important to me as it used to be.

To be continued...

Most of us need to use our phones when out and about. Thanks for the comparison and it looks like they haven't shaken the sickness that started with the EVO LTE. Very unfortunate.

• Like 1

I understand neither of these phones are the LG G2, but here's a quickie of the One Max and Moto X. The G2 isn't active and the Nexus 5 wouldn't hop on the same tower. More to come.

Were they parked on the same channels?  same sectors for EVDO?  I'd do a bit of spacing between the devices in your testing but of course that doesn't work out for your pictures.

Were they parked on the same channels? same sectors for EVDO? I'd do a bit of spacing between the devices in your testing but of course that doesn't work out for your pictures.

I don't know to be honest. I waited for all the values in Signal Check to match, however they very well could have been on different channels. I'll try again making sure they're all the same

Btw my dad was using your ROM on the GNote2 before he upgraded to the Note3 lol

I don't know to be honest. I waited for all the values in Signal Check to match, however they very well could have been on different channels. I'll try again making sure they're all the same

It could pose to be difficult in some areas. Been there and done that..

• Like 1

EVDO/1X seems to be on par with the G2 if not a few dBm worse.

Haven't had a chance to do LTE comparisons yet.

I'll keep you guys posted!

funkychicken, thanks very much for performing these comparison tests.  This is very useful information.  I'm sure everybody here appreciates it as I do.

I'm really starting to question the RF performance capabilities of my G2.  I know others here have remarked how well their RF performance is on the G2, but I can't substantiate that with mine.

I had my G2 at Mass with me last evening (no, I wasn't praying for it).  I took it out of my pocket to make sure it was on silent.  When I looked at the screen, I saw it was only on 3G.  In this same place, my Samsung GN3 would receive a few bars of 4G LTE.  It wasn't until I was out of the building and in the parking lot, that the G2 started to receive 4G LTE again. 

Is the antenna/radio of the G2 just not very sensitive?  Are the modem settings not the best?  I know "ericdabbs" said this was tweakable and that an acquaintance of his had done this on a Verizon G2. 

Oh wow. If this is true, then Christmas came early and LG may very well put to rest any concerns over lack of support /updates for their new flagship phones.
  • Like 1

Oh wow. If this is true, then Christmas came early and LG may very well put to rest any concerns over lack of support /updates for their new flagship phones.

I was assuming that LG would likely just jump to 4.4 when they update our devices to be Spark enabled. But they said early 2014 from the official reps. It'd be nice if 10-14 days were true but I doubt it.

Sent from my LG-LS980

I was assuming that LG would likely just jump to 4.4 when they update our devices to be Spark enabled. But they said early 2014 from the official reps. It'd be nice if 10-14 days were true but I doubt it.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Yeah, that would be really cool.  Then all I need is towers in my area that carry the other two bands!

funkychicken, thanks very much for performing these comparison tests.  This is very useful information.  I'm sure everybody here appreciates it as I do.

I'm really starting to question the RF performance capabilities of my G2.  I know others here have remarked how well their RF performance is on the G2, but I can't substantiate that with mine.

I had my G2 at Mass with me last evening (no, I wasn't praying for it).  I took it out of my pocket to make sure it was on silent.  When I looked at the screen, I saw it was only on 3G.  In this same place, my Samsung GN3 would receive a few bars of 4G LTE.  It wasn't until I was out of the building and in the parking lot, that the G2 started to receive 4G LTE again. 

What were you signal levels on Signalcheck at the time your GN3 when the G2 was sitting on 3G?  Did you do an airplane mode cycle to try to get 4G back just to see what the difference in signal levels were? It is good to know the difference in signal levels between the devices at the same location.  Are you sure both devices were connected to the same tower?  Signalcheck screenshots on your phone would help verify this information.

Is the antenna/radio of the G2 just not very sensitive?  Are the modem settings not the best?  I know "ericdabbs" said this was tweakable and that an acquaintance of his had done this on a Verizon G2. 

I didn't say the modem settings are easily tweakable in any menu or anything.  Basically as part of flashing the stock ROM there is a "modem.img" file that is flashed just like how "recovery.img", "boot.img", "system.img" files are flashed as part of the process. 

What I was saying is that it is not easily tweakable and LG can tweak these values but it needs to come from LG since it is firmware.  So far on XDA there is someone that has connections to get an updated Verizon modem firmware image that early reports from testers claim the signal has improved up to 10 dBm.  There is no guarantee that LG will update the Sprint variant with modem tweaks and who knows maybe it is in the works as part of the 4.4 KitKat update.

The purpose of me bringing this whole thing up in the first place is to bring some light that LG might be aware of the LTE RF performance of all the G2 variants and is trying to correct any issues it may have learned from the N5 in the 4.4 KitKat update.  So far it seems like Verizon variant has been updated first. From looking at the Nominal and Max modulated average power output between the G2 and N5 in the FCC docs, they are pretty much the same so I would have to think they are using the same antennas and modems.   I think all of us need to report to Sprint and LG about the least than expected LTE RF performance to get their attention to try to make a case that the Sprint variant needs firmware tweaks in the modem/antennas in the next update.

What were you signal levels on Signalcheck at the time your GN3 when the G2 was sitting on 3G?  Did you do an airplane mode cycle to try to get 4G back just to see what the difference in signal levels were? It is good to know the difference in signal levels between the devices at the same location.  Are you sure both devices were connected to the same tower?  Signalcheck screenshots on your phone would help verify this information.

I didn't say the modem settings are easily tweakable in any menu or anything.  Basically as part of flashing the stock ROM there is a "modem.img" file that is flashed just like how "recovery.img", "boot.img", "system.img" files are flashed as part of the process. 

What I was saying is that it is not easily tweakable and LG can tweak these values but it needs to come from LG since it is firmware.  So far on XDA there is someone that has connections to get an updated Verizon modem firmware image that early reports from testers claim the signal has improved up to 10 dBm.  There is no guarantee that LG will update the Sprint variant with modem tweaks and who knows maybe it is in the works as part of the 4.4 KitKat update.

The purpose of me bringing this whole thing up in the first place is to bring some light that LG might be aware of the LTE RF performance of all the G2 variants and is trying to correct any issues it may have learned from the N5 in the 4.4 KitKat update.  So far it seems like Verizon variant has been updated first. From looking at the Nominal and Max modulated average power output between the G2 and N5 in the FCC docs, they are pretty much the same so I would have to think they are using the same antennas and modems.   I think all of us need to report to Sprint and LG about the least than expected LTE RF performance to get their attention to try to make a case that the Sprint variant needs firmware tweaks in the modem/antennas in the next update.

I really can't reliably answer the question about signal levels as I was in church and was just trying to make sure the phone was on silent before Mass started.  I do believe signal check was showing -111 dBm eHRPD on the G2 at the time though, just briefly glancing at the upper left hand corner.  I didn't cycle airplane mode.  When I went into the parking lot after Mass, the G2 switched back to LTE.  The church is an old brick building. 

I no longer have the GN3, but the few times I had it in the same building it was receiving a few bars of LTE.  I didn't have SignalCheck installed on the GN3 at that time.  As to what towers I was connected to ...?

I do notice however, that when I go into my basement the G2 loves to switch to 3G.  Once I saw it happen at -118 dBm and lately around -113 dBm.  Now whether or not there was a fleeting moment of even lower signal that didn't get displayed before it switched from LTE to 3G, I don't know.  I do know that my GN3 in the basement really had to be pushed to make it switch back to 3G.  I literately had to go into a storage room under the front porch to get it to drop back.  The G2 doesn't take that much effort to fall back to 3G.  There is a high probability in this instance that both the phones were on the same tower.  When I had the GN3, I didn't think that it was an exceptional RF performer, but in hindsight it was probably pretty good...  I do believe the GN3 was actually better than my G2 just from use.  I have no data to back that up though.

The possibility also exists that, as you asked, what tower I was on; there may be non NV towers around me that I am connecting to causing me to fall back to 3G.  At least the scenario of reception in my basement should be coming from a NV complete tower for both phones. 

I've been trying to get a short video for AJ, that shows wildly fluctuating LTE signal strength when I am standing still, but today it is only varying by about 10 dBm.   I did find that holding the phone in my hand causes the received LTE signal level to drop off by at least a few dBm.  I would assume that's normal though since I'm probably shielding the antenna. 

Sorry for the misquote on the "modem" *.img.  I knew it had to come from LG and it was nothing a user could initiate from the menu system.  I quoted you rather poorly. 

I really can't reliably answer the question about signal levels as I was in church and was just trying to make sure the phone was on silent before Mass started.  I do believe signal check was showing -111 dBm eHRPD on the G2 at the time though, just briefly glancing at the upper left hand corner.  I didn't cycle airplane mode.  When I went into the parking lot after Mass, the G2 switched back to LTE.  The church is an old brick building. 

I no longer have the GN3, but the few times I had it in the same building it was receiving a few bars of LTE.  I didn't have SignalCheck installed on the GN3 at that time.  As to what towers I was connected to ...?

I do notice however, that when I go into my basement the G2 loves to switch to 3G.  Once I saw it happen at -118 dBm and lately around -113 dBm.  Now whether or not there was a fleeting moment of even lower signal that didn't get displayed before it switched from LTE to 3G, I don't know.  I do know that my GN3 in the basement really had to be pushed to make it switch back to 3G.  I literately had to go into a storage room under the front porch to get it to drop back.  The G2 doesn't take that much effort to fall back to 3G.  There is a high probability in this instance that both the phones were on the same tower.  When I had the GN3, I didn't think that it was an exceptional RF performer, but in hindsight it was probably pretty good...  I do believe the GN3 was actually better than my G2 just from use.  I have no data to back that up though.

FYI, you can verify if two LTE phones are connected to the same LTE site if they have the same GCI, PCI and TAC. Depending on your phone you might not get all 3 pieces of information but the G2 shows all 3 pieces of information.  Had you had both the Note 3 and G2 with SignalCheck installed and both connected to LTE, you can easily look at the GCI, PCI and TAC information to verify if you are connected to the same LTE tower.  If you stand in the same place you can get a good idea what the difference in signal levels are between the 2 phones.  This is how you would verify your claims at church and in your basement.  This sort of testing is how some folks have claimed that the Nexus 5 has a 10-15 dBM better LTE signal RSRP than the G2. 

A8Af6uo.jpg

FYI, you can verify if two LTE phones are connected to the same LTE site if they have the same GCI, PCI and TAC. Depending on your phone you might not get all 3 pieces of information but the G2 shows all 3 pieces of information.  Had you had both the Note 3 and G2 with SignalCheck installed and both connected to LTE, you can easily look at the GCI, PCI and TAC information to verify if you are connected to the same LTE tower.  If you stand in the same place you can get a good idea what the difference in signal levels are between the 2 phones.  This is how you would verify your claims at church and in your basement.  This sort of testing is how some folks have claimed that the Nexus 5 has a 10-15 dBM better LTE signal RSRP than the G2. 

A8Af6uo.jpg

Thanks very much for that info.  I figured that the GCI, PCI and TAC showed the tower.  I have my home location (GCI, PCI and TAC) written down on a piece of paper.  I wanted to see if I was on the same tower at my work location.  the GCI at home is 0FECS102 and work is 0FECS103.  PCE at home is 355 and at work is 17.  I figured the difference in the last digit of the GCI (2 vs 3) was the tower array that I was connected to.  I have no idea what the PCE means.  The TAC was the same for both. 

Is there some kind of list somewhere that you can look up tower locations by this provided info?

This is interesting stuff!

I really can't reliably answer the question about signal levels as I was in church and was just trying to make sure the phone was on silent before Mass started. I do believe signal check was showing -111 dBm eHRPD on the G2 at the time though, just briefly glancing at the upper left hand corner. I didn't cycle airplane mode. When I went into the parking lot after Mass, the G2 switched back to LTE. The church is an old brick building.

I no longer have the GN3, but the few times I had it in the same building it was receiving a few bars of LTE. I didn't have SignalCheck installed on the GN3 at that time. As to what towers I was connected to ...?

I do notice however, that when I go into my basement the G2 loves to switch to 3G. Once I saw it happen at -118 dBm and lately around -113 dBm. Now whether or not there was a fleeting moment of even lower signal that didn't get displayed before it switched from LTE to 3G, I don't know. I do know that my GN3 in the basement really had to be pushed to make it switch back to 3G. I literately had to go into a storage room under the front porch to get it to drop back. The G2 doesn't take that much effort to fall back to 3G. There is a high probability in this instance that both the phones were on the same tower. When I had the GN3, I didn't think that it was an exceptional RF performer, but in hindsight it was probably pretty good... I do believe the GN3 was actually better than my G2 just from use. I have no data to back that up though.

The possibility also exists that, as you asked, what tower I was on; there may be non NV towers around me that I am connecting to causing me to fall back to 3G. At least the scenario of reception in my basement should be coming from a NV complete tower for both phones.

I've been trying to get a short video for AJ, that shows wildly fluctuating LTE signal strength when I am standing still, but today it is only varying by about 10 dBm. I did find that holding the phone in my hand causes the received LTE signal level to drop off by at least a few dBm. I would assume that's normal though since I'm probably shielding the antenna.

Sorry for the misquote on the "modem" *.img. I knew it had to come from LG and it was nothing a user could initiate from the menu system. I quoted you rather poorly.

So non nv towers make the phone go back to 3g? Does this include the error for LTE no data connection?

My battery seems to be getting even better than before.

Screenshot_2013-11-24-16-56-24.png

Ive noticed that too, i went to my grandparents house yesterday for Thanksgiving and where they live i was roaming on Alltel lol. But it barely dropped any battery vs my note2 would have used way more. Being that i had taken it off the charger at 8am then no signal fot 5 hours then went to work in a metal building and trying to use youtube for music when we were bored, i was at 30% left at 12 that night and even after a hour or so of ifunny while laying on bed it had 15% at 2:30am. So its killer as far as battery life.

So non nv towers make the phone go back to 3g? Does this include the error for LTE no data connection?

If the towers don't have functioning eCSFB, a Tri Band phone will park on 3G.  I'm not sure about the LTE no data connection.  I would think you could at least get 3G data unless it is a 4G only tower.  One of the experts can answer that for you. 

My battery seems to be getting even better than before.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2013-11-24-16-56-24.png

Me Too.  I have not used my phone very much in the last few days, but I took it off of the charger Thursday morning at 6:30 am and I just had to charge it this morning!  It had 10% left.  That includes a few speed tests some Internet browsing and a few 20 min+ phone calls with the screen brightness UP.  Totally amazing.