LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

Can a current G2 owner do this for me please:

Debug -> Bluetooth -> Profile

Can you tell me if MAP is listed under Profile?

Appreciate the info

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1383252711140.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Everyone! 

I found this forum when I was searching for information on Google about RF signal quality (strength) on the LG G2.

I read the entire thread from start to finish last evening.  I couldn't stop reading.  The information was so interesting and useful to me.

I also want to ciompliment each and every one of you who has contributed to this thread.  Your knowledge and intelligence is awesome!

Please forgive me, I don't mean to jack your thread, but I was hoping to gain information about Sprint and the LG G2.  I am interested in purchasing an LG G2.  I couldn't have come to a more educated group of people. 

Some Background:  I joined Sprint and lasted 12 days.  I think that I really chose the wrong phone.  I chose a Samsung Galaxy Note 3.  Meanwhile I kept my Verizon contract going just in-case.  I have a Motorola Droid Bionic on Verizon. 

I live in the Harrisburg PA area and am served by Shentel.  I went around comparing signals with my new GN3 and my Bionic.  I live in a horrible Verizon signal area, but an outstanding Sprint area.  I found that when I went into buildings with the Sprint GN3, I would lose 4G LTE and drop back to just a few bars of 3G at best, while my Verizon Droid Bionic maintained 4G LTE at a few bars.  I was blaming this on Sprint not having the lower frequencies for good penetration in buildings.

I had to return my first GN3 because the "Home" button would get stuck under the front bezel.  You had to pop it out again by pressing on the opposite end.  I checked the same areas with the second GN3 against my Verizon Droid Bionic and obtained the same results. 

At this point I figured that Sprint had an inferior signal, and since the GN3 was a single band phone - there was no hope for me.  I cancelled my contract with Sprint.  I'm really sorry I did now and am going to join again as soon as Sprint will let me.

I liked the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone so much that I got one from Verizon.  That was a BIG MISTAKE!  The first day I had the GN3 in the building where I work in Swatara Township, I got a 1X signal or "No Service" on Verizon where people around me were getting a few bars of 4G LTE from Verizon.  My own Droid Bionic was a signal magnet in these same places.  I could always maintain a 4G LTE signal from Verizon.  When I checked my signal at my house, I could barely maintain a 4G LTE signal from Verizon with the GN3 as well. 

The GN3 has horribly poor RF reception in fringe and marginal signal areas.  With a strong signal it was great, but if you get it in a less than perfect signal area, it doesn't work well at all.  Problem is, I live in a Verizon fringe area. 

Then a light came on in my head!  I thought that the test on the Sprint network I did was totally unfair, because I used the GN3 which has abysmal RF receprion (didn't know this until I tried the Verizon version where I knew what my Bionic would do).  Now I realize that all the places the Bionic would maintain 4G LTE and the GN3 could barely hold on to 3G from Sprint was the GN3 iteslf - not the Sprint network.  The GN3 is not worth the price at all!  A flagship phone with poor radio sensitivity, poorly designed antennas - or both!

Now I am looking to come back to Sprint and future-proof myself with the LG G2.  That's why I came to this thread.  I was hoping to find out how sensitive the radios and antennas are in the G2 and how well the phone performs. 

As Shentel builds the network in my area, the G2 should eventually be able to make use of the additional frequencies.

I would be very appreciative to anyone here who could let me know what you think of the LG G2 radios and antennas as far as sensitivity and RF performance in fringe areas.

Again, I apologize for posting such a large litany here, but I hope I will be welcome to share information.

Thanks so much!

• Like 2

I liked the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone so much that I got one from Verizon.  That was a BIG MISTAKE!

Welcome.  I am the author responsible for most of S4GRU's FCC spectrum licensing and device authorization articles.  We are not VZW4GRU, so we do not run articles on the RF capabilities of VZW devices.  However, I do come across VZW handsets frequently in my FCC database research.  And while high ERP/EIRP metrics do not necessarily define real world performance, do know that the VZW variant Galaxy Note 3 fares surprisingly low in its uplink power figures.  And that may correlate with your hands on experience. 

AJ

• Like 1

Welcome.  I am the author responsible for most of S4GRU's FCC spectrum licensing and device authorization articles.  We are not VZW4GRU, so we do not run articles on the RF capabilities of VZW devices.  However, I do come across VZW handsets frequently in my FCC database research.  And while high ERP/EIRP metrics do not necessarily define real world performance, do know that the VZW variant Galaxy Note 3 fares surprisingly low in its uplink power figures.  And that may correlate with your hands on experience. 

AJ

Are you talking about these numbers?

LG G2
RF ERP/EIRP maximum:
19.80 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 850),
21.64 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900),
23.09-27.08 dBm (LTE 1900),
17.77-21.29 dBm (TD-LTE 2600)

Nexus 5
RF ERP/EIRP Maximum:
23.10 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 850),
30.00 dBm (CDMA1x/EV-DO 1900),
23.28-23.96 dBm (LTE 1900),
19.80-20.80 dBm (LTE 800),
20.81-21.71 dBm (LTE 2600)

Galaxy Note 3
RF ERP/EIRP maximum:
19.82-20.93 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 850),
18.91-21.30 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900),
21.85-23.63 dBm (LTE 1900)

EDIT: Made it easier to read.
EDIT2: I see no LTE 800 numbers on the G2.  This was all pulled from AJ's articles on the Wall.

Are you talking about these numbers?

No, those figures are all for Sprint variants.  We have no need to run an article on the VZW variant Galaxy Note 3, but I have researched it and discussed it in private with Robert.  In short, the Galaxy Note 3 for VZW does not measure well.

AJ

• Like 1

Just as an update for y'all, the LTE issues made me go back to my Galaxy Note II, but the touchscreen issues (multitouch showing phantom and multiple touches) made me send it back. It's too bad, it seems like a really nice device. Knockon (when it worked) is amazing.

Oh, and auto-brightness never worked either. But that's pretty minor.

Hi Everyone! 

I found this forum when I was searching for information on Google about RF signal quality (strength) on the LG G2.

I read the entire thread from start to finish last evening.  I couldn't stop reading.  The information was so interesting and useful to me.

I also want to ciompliment each and every one of you who has contributed to this thread.  Your knowledge and intelligence is awesome!

Please forgive me, I don't mean to jack your thread, but I was hoping to gain information about Sprint and the LG G2.  I am interested in purchasing an LG G2.  I couldn't have come to a more educated group of people. 

Some Background:  I joined Sprint and lasted 12 days.  I think that I really chose the wrong phone.  I chose a Samsung Galaxy Note 3.  Meanwhile I kept my Verizon contract going just in-case.  I have a Motorola Droid Bionic on Verizon. 

I live in the Harrisburg PA area and am served by Shentel.  I went around comparing signals with my new GN3 and my Bionic.  I live in a horrible Verizon signal area, but an outstanding Sprint area.  I found that when I went into buildings with the Sprint GN3, I would lose 4G LTE and drop back to just a few bars of 3G at best, while my Verizon Droid Bionic maintained 4G LTE at a few bars.  I was blaming this on Sprint not having the lower frequencies for good penetration in buildings.

I had to return my first GN3 because the "Home" button would get stuck under the front bezel.  You had to pop it out again by pressing on the opposite end.  I checked the same areas with the second GN3 against my Verizon Droid Bionic and obtained the same results. 

At this point I figured that Sprint had an inferior signal, and since the GN3 was a single band phone - there was no hope for me.  I cancelled my contract with Sprint.  I'm really sorry I did now and am going to join again as soon as Sprint will let me.

I liked the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone so much that I got one from Verizon.  That was a BIG MISTAKE!  The first day I had the GN3 in the building where I work in Swatara Township, I got a 1X signal or "No Service" on Verizon where people around me were getting a few bars of 4G LTE from Verizon.  My own Droid Bionic was a signal magnet in these same places.  I could always maintain a 4G LTE signal from Verizon.  When I checked my signal at my house, I could barely maintain a 4G LTE signal from Verizon with the GN3 as well. 

The GN3 has horribly poor RF reception in fringe and marginal signal areas.  With a strong signal it was great, but if you get it in a less than perfect signal area, it doesn't work well at all.  Problem is, I live in a Verizon fringe area. 

Then a light came on in my head!  I thought that the test on the Sprint network I did was totally unfair, because I used the GN3 which has abysmal RF receprion (didn't know this until I tried the Verizon version where I knew what my Bionic would do).  Now I realize that all the places the Bionic would maintain 4G LTE and the GN3 could barely hold on to 3G from Sprint was the GN3 iteslf - not the Sprint network.  The GN3 is not worth the price at all!  A flagship phone with poor radio sensitivity, poorly designed antennas - or both!

Now I am looking to come back to Sprint and future-proof myself with the LG G2.  That's why I came to this thread.  I was hoping to find out how sensitive the radios and antennas are in the G2 and how well the phone performs. 

As Shentel builds the network in my area, the G2 should eventually be able to make use of the additional frequencies.

I would be very appreciative to anyone here who could let me know what you think of the LG G2 radios and antennas as far as sensitivity and RF performance in fringe areas.

Again, I apologize for posting such a large litany here, but I hope I will be welcome to share information.

Thanks so much!

The Sprint Galaxy Note 3 seems to have stronger LTE RF characteristics than the VZW GN3 based on FCC docs of uplink EIRP testing.  So I believe you may have been encountering accurate Sprint LTE performance with the GN3 (perhaps slightly subpar) and experiencing the poor RF performance of the VZW Note 3.  I recently moved to a place with no Sprint coverage and was going to get the VZW GN3, until I found out how bad the LTE RF performance appeared in FCC OET docs.

Sprint LTE on 1900 only is going to be pretty paltry indoors unless you are near the site.  That's why Sprint is adding service on LTE 800 as well.  That work has just started though nationwide, but is pretty far along in Shentel areas.  According to one of our sources there, they should start firing it up there in the next few weeks and run through Spring.  Shentel LTE 800 is going to be awesome and blow Verizon out of the water.  Because Shentel's tower density is unmatched by any carrier I've ever seen.

So for you, it will be all about finding the Triband device that best fits your needs and whether you want to get it now and start using it as LTE 800 fires up in your area one tower at a time, or if you want to wait until service is everywhere on LTE 800.

Robert

AJ

Thanks for that reply.  I was only interested in the Sprint LG G2 performance.  The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 was returned the very next day after I purchased it for its abysmal performance.  I had the privelege of paying that "poor" company Verizon, $35.00 for the use of their abysmal GN3.  I appreciate the time you took to answer.  Thanks. 

The Sprint Galaxy Note 3 seems to have stronger LTE RF characteristics than the VZW GN3 based on FCC docs of uplink EIRP testing.  So I believe you may have been encountering accurate Sprint LTE performance with the GN3 (perhaps slightly subpar) and experiencing the poor RF performance of the VZW Note 3.  I recently moved to a place with no Sprint coverage and was going to get the VZW GN3, until I found out how bad the LTE RF performance appeared in FCC OET docs.

Sprint LTE on 1900 only is going to be pretty paltry indoors unless you are near the site.  That's why Sprint is adding service on LTE 800 as well.  That work has just started though nationwide, but is pretty far along in Shentel areas.  According to one of our sources there, they should start firing it up there in the next few weeks and run through Spring.  Shentel LTE 800 is going to be awesome and blow Verizon out of the water.  Because Shentel's tower density is unmatched by any carrier I've ever seen.

So for you, it will be all about finding the Triband device that best fits your needs and whether you want to get it now and start using it as LTE 800 fires up in your area one tower at a time, or if you want to wait until service is everywhere on LTE 800.

Robert

Thank you Robert!  I really appreciate all the useful information that you provided.  I work literally 0.3 miles from a Sprint 4G LTE tower.  I live about 0.6 nautical miles on the other side of that same tower.  I can't wait to re-join Sprint as a customer.  I don't mind waiting for the 800 MHz to come along from Shentel as long as it wlll eventually.  You are correct in saying the tower density of Shental is unmatched.  When 800MHz goes live it's going to be phenomenal. 

This is why I'm trying to find how the RF performance of the Sprint LG G2 is going to be.  I see here on this thread that there are some issues with the beta firmware that is on the G2 now, before launch. 

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could share their thoughts on the radio and antenna systems in the Sprint LG G2. 

Thanks for all the help!

Just as an update for y'all, the LTE issues made me go back to my Galaxy Note II, but the touchscreen issues (multitouch showing phantom and multiple touches) made me send it back. It's too bad, it seems like a really nice device. Knockon (when it worked) is amazing.

Phantom touches?  You mean like the screen thinks you're touching it in a certain area when you're not?  I've had that happen to my old Epic 4G when the phone got very hot.  That sounds like a major problem.  We'll see.

Have you noticed any issues with camera skipping frames or slow to respond in low light..seems too loose frame rate? I haven't seen touch screen issues..I do have the issue with auto brightness not working correctly

I find the camera to be slow to respond and focus in low light conditions... Anyone else seeing this?

All the same issues I had with mine. Went back to my note 2 also. May try the nexus 5 next.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Early 2014 is only two to three months away...I'm ok with that....

I'm not OK with LG getting away with not announcing plans for 4.3, 4.4, and updating their software to support triband so late. If this is how they treat their flagship, I'd hate to see how they treat the prior generation.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

this is starting to sound really crappy for the lg g2.  what are the odds they are just the ones that were activated early and there just isn't an update until the actual release date.

for the ones who ordered from best, is it true that you have 15 days to make a return if you aren't happy with the phone?  also, would you have to pay another activation fee once you return the device for another device?

tia!

this is starting to sound really crappy for the lg g2. what are the odds they are just the ones that were activated early and there just isn't an update until the actual release date.

for the ones who ordered from Best Buy, is it true that you have 15 days to make a return if you aren't happy with the phone? also, would you have to pay another activation fee once you return the device for another device?

tia!

From what I understand is you have 14 days to return the device for refund and upgrade back, however, after 3 days the actionivation fee is not returned and if you return after the 3rd day during your 14 day trial, you will have to pay another activation fee on another upgrade.

All the same issues I had with mine. Went back to my note 2 also. May try the nexus 5 next.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Spec wise the nexus appears weak..2200mah battery, 8mp camera, and only a 4.95" display.... Again the nexus fails in the spec department..also no word on "spark" support

so basically..do as much as you can with your phone for the first three days to see how its going to work in your area.  guess we will go from there once we get it in..keeping my fingers crossed for a fix to be sent out on the release date..

Spec wise the nexus appears weak..2200mah battery, 8mp camera, and only a 4.95" display.... Again the nexus fails in the spec department..also no word on "spark" support

The Nexus 5 is Tri-Band capable, so it'll be able to take advantage of "Spark".  Display size is subjective, but I agree with camera/battery.