The Iphone 5s & Iphone 5c [not Tri-Band LTE] (was "Next iPhone to be announced on September 10")

sbolen

Has anyone who picked up a new iphone seen any 800 lte anywhere?

This is the iPhone that we are talking about.  Locked down.  Chances are that users will not know or care whether they are on band 25 LTE 1900 or band 26 LTE 800.

AJ

Not surprised at all since the iPhone 4S users who are coming off contract are tired of the 3.5 inch screen and want a boost to 4.0 inch scree...LOL...with the fingerprint scanner.  IMO the 6-7 million sales expectation was a bit conservative

I guess, but I wouldnt be buying it for that.. I'd be more about the cpu & gpu upgrades.. which this year were the biggest leap of any iPhone.. The 5s review at Anandtech.com really surprised me

This is the iPhone that we are talking about.  Locked down.  Chances are that users will not know or care whether they are on band 25 LTE 1900 or band 26 LTE 800.

AJ

Errr, band information is available on the field test screen.

Chances are any iphone users here *DO* know and care if they are on band 25 LTE 1900 or band 26 LTE 800.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/975-network-visionlte-missouri-market-includes-st-louis/page-283&do=findComment&comment=209347

Errr, band information is available on the field test screen.

Chances are any iphone users here *DO* know and care if they are on band 25 LTE 1900 or band 26 LTE 800.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/975-network-visionlte-missouri-market-includes-st-louis/page-283&do=findComment&comment=209347

I am glad to see that Field Test still seems to be functional under iOS 7 because that was not guaranteed.  And some of the Field Test screens on iPhone 5, as I understand, did not populate properly.

That said, I practically guarantee that, even here at S4GRU, iPhone users are not running Field Test that often.  iOS is locked down, so it does not have access to an app like SignalCheck, which many of us run 24/7.  We always know whether we are on CDMA1X 1900, CDMA1X 800, and soon to be, LTE 800, or TD-LTE 2600.

AJ

• Like 2

Chances are that users will not know or care whether they are on band 25 LTE 1900 or band 26 LTE 800.

AJ

This is probably 75% of current Sprint customers - regardless of what brand phone they buy/own - know little to nothing about what band they are on now or 800 or 2500 ..

75? Not to bash any of us but the knowledge level of how these magical little things in our pockets work is small. 99.9% of people have no idea about bands or spectrum or frequency. They have never heard of clearwire or network vision, most think all cell phone stuff is the sane and can not grasp that the tower near their house in butt Fuck no where is not a sprint tower because all cell towers are the same.

Tldr: people are mostly stupid

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

• Like 3

75? Not to bash any of us but the knowledge level of how these magical little things in our pockets work is small. 99.9% of people have no idea about bands or spectrum or frequency. They have never heard of clearwire or network vision, most think all cell phone stuff is the sane and can not grasp that the tower near their house in butt Fuck no where is not a sprint tower because all cell towers are the same.

Tldr: people are mostly stupid

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

Good heavens, Rocket, you are so harsh!  Absolutely, totally f-ing right, but harsh.

Good heavens, Rocket, you are so harsh!  Absolutely, totally f-ing right, but harsh.

Or, for most people, as long as it works - who cares how. 

Hey! How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does a sun set? How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It just does.

I tried to pull an AJ and imbed a Youtube video and failed miserably.  So here's a link instead:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/uCM1seqnAuY

• Like 1

I am glad to see that Field Test still seems to be functional under iOS 7 because that was not guaranteed. And some of the Field Test screens on iPhone 5, as I understand, did not populate properly.

That said, I practically guarantee that, even here at S4GRU, iPhone users are not running Field Test that often. iOS is locked down, so it does not have access to an app like SignalCheck, which many of us run 24/7. We always know whether we are on CDMA1X 1900, CDMA1X 800, and soon to be, LTE 800, or TD-LTE 2600.

AJ

AJ, I agree with you that most iPhone users don't even know what a engineering screen is let alone have dialed *3001#12345#* to get there. But most iPhone users have also never heard of S4GRU either, so that general statement should not be applied in a iPhone forum here.

For whatever reason, the iPhone 5's 1x engineering screen omit many important details, and yes the OS is much more locked down than non Apple devices (much to the dismay if S4GRU iPhone users) but the LTE screen does read which band the phone is connected to as illustrated by a previous post. I for one am curious to see if any 5s/c's have connected to 800 LTE.

• Like 1

I am glad to see that Field Test still seems to be functional under iOS 7 because that was not guaranteed. And some of the Field Test screens on iPhone 5, as I understand, did not populate properly.

That said, I practically guarantee that, even here at S4GRU, iPhone users are not running Field Test that often. iOS is locked down, so it does not have access to an app like SignalCheck, which many of us run 24/7. We always know whether we are on CDMA1X 1900, CDMA1X 800, and soon to be, LTE 800, or TD-LTE 2600.

AJ

Strangely enough, my 5 still doesn't populate all the 1x information even after iOS 7. Too bad too. And Field Test never got updated for a 4 in screen res.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, i looked on my iphone and i'm on band 25 which i believe is LTE 1900, but do we not know for sure yet if the 5c/5s support the band 26 LTE 800? 

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/166356-iphone-5s-and-5c-the-best-support-for-3g-and-4g-lte-networks-worldwide

That article tends to indicate that the 5c/5s variant for sprint does in fact support the bands for 800mhz LTE. Can anyone confirm?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, i looked on my iphone and i'm on band 25 which i believe is LTE 1900, but do we not know for sure yet if the 5c/5s support the band 26 LTE 800? 

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/166356-iphone-5s-and-5c-the-best-support-for-3g-and-4g-lte-networks-worldwide

That article tends to indicate that the 5c/5s variant for sprint does in fact support the bands for 800mhz LTE. Can anyone confirm?

Yes it does.

800/1900

Not 25/2600

Harsh?  I can do better than that.  This clip summarizes my outlook on a good many of my interactions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXYO2Y1mFHc

AJ

Harsh?  I can do better than that.  This clip summarizes my outlook on a good many of my interactions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXYO2Y1mFHc

AJ

Oh, silly, silly AJ. We all know that beneath your brusque and cynical exterior lies a gentle, cuddly baby kitten with a deep and abiding affection for for every one of your fellow humans, no matter how totally, completely, and unbearably ignorant and stupid they are. :rolleyes:

Oh, silly, silly AJ. We all know that beneath your brusque and cynical exterior lies a gentle, cuddly baby kitten with a deep and abiding affection for for every one of your fellow humans, no matter how totally, completely, and unbearably ignorant and stupid they are. :rolleyes:

Only Robert has any knowledge of my secretly humane inner core.

The rest of you can pass me the @#$%ing sweet potatoes.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

Looks like the 5s is outselling the 5c by a wide margin.  Apple also announced today that it sold 9M of the 5c/5s models during their opening weekend.  Judging by the carrier chart, looks like Sprint did a decent amount of sales.

Some guy did a piece a few months ago that Apple was making a mistake because it would undercut itself with the 5c.  I only posted one reply to the article, but I said I thought he was wrong since people whom always buy the latest model will keep buying the latest model... while the people that keep buying the 2nd oldest model $100 cheaper will keep doing that....  the current sales of the 5s again prove I'm right because the latest model has always outsold everything else.. This is really no different then other premium phones.  The Galaxy continues to thrive and outsell previous generations.  When the G S5 comes out its a no brainer they'll sell less S4's, but they will sell them

The 5c is almost an iPhone 5, but has a bigger battery ( a solid hour+ of more life ) , it has a better front camera ( the 5c gets the front camera used in the 5s ).. and the 5c has the additional radio bands that the 5 doesn't have.. if you can deal with the plastic its actually a slight upgrade over the iPhone 5 based on all the above ( and at the same price as what the 5 would've cost that's not so bad )

• Like 1

I was reading that from another thread that the iPhone 5S and 5C was suppose to be the first Sprint LTE phones that are using the new CSIM (CDMA Sim) card and authentication system that would allow for easy SIM swap between removable SIM LTE phones without having to phone into Sprint.  However this new CSIM card will only work with other LTE phones going forward that use the CSIM card so this would mean that you can't swap between the iPhone 5S and HTC One or GS4 even though they are removable SIMs LTE phones.  I just wanted to find out if anyone that got the iPhone 5S or 5C was aware of that or can confirm if this is true.  Hopefully the Nexus 5 and LG G2 use this new CSIM card.

Here is the link to the thread.  See post #17 and #20.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4635-will-sprint-now-be-moving-to-sim-based-authentication-for-cdma/

• Like 1

It's sad that Sprint ends up being the ONLY  US carrier to lock their device and is the only US operator using a different model.

I hope new regulation comes down the pipe that forces Sprint to unlock devices for other compatible networks once a customer has fulfilled their end of the contractual agreement.

It's not customer friendly at all.

I can go into an apple store and buy a T-Mobile/AT&T/Verizon iPhone 5S at full price and receive the phone unlocked.

If I buy a sprint phone full price, it's locked.

It's really sad to see sprint take this ugly non-consumer friendly turn.

Some guy did a piece a few months ago that Apple was making a mistake because it would undercut itself with the 5c.  I only posted one reply to the article, but I said I thought he was wrong since people whom always buy the latest model will keep buying the latest model... while the people that keep buying the 2nd oldest model $100 cheaper will keep doing that....  the current sales of the 5s again prove I'm right because the latest model has always outsold everything else.. This is really no different then other premium phones.  The Galaxy continues to thrive and outsell previous generations.  When the G S5 comes out its a no brainer they'll sell less S4's, but they will sell them

Makes sense.  I said earlier in this thread that I don't see how anyone buys a 5c unless they're really price-conscious or it's for a teenager.

In the age of carrier complaining about subsidies, it makes no sense to aim for locked-down devices. I think its just Sprint being resistant to change. We shall see if the CSIM comments are true.

My 5S should arrive tomorrow; looking forward to it. Sure, I'd love it to support band 41 but that is only one consideration among many. People claiming that is their primary consideration must have some really strange/uncommon uses of their cell phones.

In the age of carrier complaining about subsidies, it makes no sense to aim for locked-down devices. I think its just Sprint being resistant to change. We shall see if the CSIM comments are true.

My 5S should arrive tomorrow; looking forward to it. Sure, I'd love it to support band 41 but that is only one consideration among many. People claiming that is their primary consideration must have some really strange/uncommon uses of their cell phones.

There are places that are broadcasting band 41 but not band 25. Personally, if I am paying for a top of the line phone and paying the same amount for the full use of the network, I want a phone that can utilize all of it and not just some of it.

• Like 3

Sure, I'd love it to support band 41 but that is only one consideration among many. People claiming that is their primary consideration must have some really strange/uncommon uses of their cell phones.

At S4GRU?  An enthusiast site focused on the minutiae of wireless network deployment.  Wow, imagine that.

Maybe the retort should be that people claiming that iOS is their primary consideration must have some really banal uses of their cellphones.

AJ

• Like 1

Just putting it out there, but I see the total number of iPhones sold a bit skewed. While people are saying that the iPhone 5s still broke records, they should leave it at that. People that couldn't, or wont, pay $200 for a new phone, paid $99 for the iPhone 5c. I think that really made it more possible for them to sell so many iPhones.

Basically, what I'm saying is. Do any of you agree that without the 5c apple could have still sold 9 million units of the 5s?

-Luis

Just putting it out there, but I see the total number of iPhones sold a bit skewed. While people are saying that the iPhone 5s still broke records, they should leave it at that. People that couldn't, or wont, pay $200 for a new phone, paid $99 for the iPhone 5c. I think that really made it more possible for them to sell so many iPhones.

Basically, what I'm saying is. Do any of you agree that without the 5c apple could have still sold 9 million units of the 5s?

-Luis

It is probably a little bit of that, but perhaps mostly of launching in more markets this year for the simultaneous retail start. Last year was nine markets; this year was 11 markets, including China.