Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

Including used phones purchased from Swappa or CL?

Yes, I swapped my crappy Evo 4G LTE for an Galaxy Nexus a year ago on Craigslist, and I had Asurion send me a new Galaxy Nexus last week after it stopped working. It cost me $150 plus the $10 I paid per month for a whole year, bringing the total to $270. Not worth it, in my opinion, but It would make sense for a more expensive phone in the short run.

• Like 1

So we know the Nexus 5 battery will most likely be a 2300 maH battery.  My question is will the 2300 maH battery in the Nexus 5 be of the variant of Li-ion vs. LG's Silicon Oxide (SiO)+ proprietary battery that it has in the LG G2. 

According to the article below, the SiO based battery gives about an extra 6% increase (who knows could be more) in battery life over a Li-ion based battery.  This 6% is on top of the extra 700 maH of the LG G2 3000 maH battery which should make the G2 have pretty beefy battery life over the Nexus 5.  This is good for LG since it helps differentiate the G2 vs. Nexus 5 and the Nexus 5 would not kill G2 sales.

My guess is that LG will just pack a Li-ion battery in the Nexus 5 since it is the norm and no one will even understand the difference.

http://www.ibtimes.com/lg-g2-top-3-best-worst-features-lgs-new-flagship-hands-1380227

A couple more data points on the battery:

It will run on most major networks with support for CMDA, GSM, WCDMA, and LTE, with up to 350 hours of standby time and about 230 minutes of talk time on LTE and up to 690 minutes on CDMA. It should take about 3 hours and 30 minutes to charge.

[PC Mag]

The battery life of the Nexus 5, according to the service manual, will offer less than four hours of talk time while connected to LTE with the display on. That is a scenario requiring the most power hungry parts of the phone be active, which tells us that the handset will have at least four hours of actual screen on time for most users. Comparing this number to what we know about the HTC One and Moto X screen-on times versus actual usage, we could see LG claiming that the Nexus 5 will get most people through a 12-hour day on a single charge.

[Geek.com]

So we know the Nexus 5 battery will most likely be a 2300 maH battery.  My question is will the 2300 maH battery in the Nexus 5 be of the variant of Li-ion vs. LG's Silicon Oxide (SiO)+ proprietary battery that it has in the LG G2. 

According to the article below, the SiO based battery gives about an extra 6% increase (who knows could be more) in battery life over a Li-ion based battery.  This 6% is on top of the extra 700 maH of the LG G2 3000 maH battery which should make the G2 have pretty beefy battery life over the Nexus 5.  This is good for LG since it helps differentiate the G2 vs. Nexus 5 and the Nexus 5 would not kill G2 sales.

My guess is that LG will just pack a Li-ion battery in the Nexus 5 since it is the norm and no one will even understand the difference.

http://www.ibtimes.com/lg-g2-top-3-best-worst-features-lgs-new-flagship-hands-1380227

mAh is a measure of electric charge. A 2000mAh battery that is Li-ion holds the exact same amount electric charge as a 2000mAh SiO battery. However, the SiO batter may be physically smaller or thinner. What the article is likely trying to say is that LG got an extra 6% more mAh capacity with SiO than if a battery of the same physical size was was made with Li-ion technology instead. 

• Like 1

modplan, on 07 Oct 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

mAh is a measure of electric charge. A 2000mAh battery that is Li-ion holds the exact same amount electric charge as a 2000mAh SiO battery. However, the SiO batter may be physically smaller or thinner. What the article is likely trying to say is that LG got an extra 6% more mAh capacity with SiO than if a battery of the same physical size was was made with Li-ion technology instead.

Of course it means of the same capacity size. The point of comparing Li-ion vs. SiO is that given the same capacity size, doesn't have to be physical, the SiO battery should perform better because the SiO battery uses silicon oxide vs. graphite in Li-ion batteries.

My point was whether LG is going to put the SiO battery into the Nexus 5 to make the 2300 maH battery last a bit longer and not appear as bad as it seems OR would they just opt to put a regular Li-ion battery since it might be cheaper and the majority of the public doesn't care about it.

I am just guessing they will just put a regular Li-ion battery in the Nexus 5 to keep the secret sauce to the LG G2. There has to be a reason why LG is putting the battery technology as a key feature of the phone on their website and I am sure they don't want to share that technology with Google.

Of course it means of the same physical size.  The point of comparing Li-ion vs. SiO is that given the same capacity size doesn't have to be physical the SiO battery should perform better because the SiO battery uses silicon oxide vs. graphite in Li-ion batteries.

My point was whether LG is going to put the SiO battery into the Nexus 5 to make the 2300 maH battery last a bit longer and not appear as bad as it seems OR would they just opt to put a regular Li-ion battery since it might be cheaper and the majority of the public doesn't care about it.

You're missing my point. If LG uses SiO in the Nexus 5, it will not last longer. The battery just may be thinner/smaller. The battery still only contains 2300mAh no matter what technology is used. Two 2300mAh batteries, one with Li-ion and one with SiO will last the exact same amount of time because they both contain exactly the same amount of electric charge. But the SiO battery may be smaller.

Also, you stated above that the 6% was "on top of the extra 700 maH of the LG G2 3000 maH battery." No, the battery still contains exactly 3000mAh, not 6% more than that, not 3180mAh, exactly 3000mAh, no matter the technology used.

The new SiO just means the battery itself is phycially 6% smaller than another battery with the same man capacity. Since it is smaller they can make a biggee mAh battery with the same amount of space. Since the G2 is quite large they have a lot of room to put a large battery like how the notes have 3000+ mAh, which they either don't have the room or choose not to throw it in the nexus, not to mention that is probably a corner Google cut to make the device more cost effective.

Can we all just agree that mAh is the incorrect unit of measurement for a battery? It should be in Wh.

No, absolutely not. I will not be satisfied until jWh is used. (jiggawatt-hour)

• Like 1

As unlikely as this seems I really hope it is true.

Nexus 5 to offer 2 battery and storage options.

16GB with 2300mAh $299

32GB with 3000mAh $399

I'm sold on the 32GB and 3000mAh battery.

Lets keep our fingers crossed

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-Nexus-5-pricing-leaks-different-battery-size-for-each-model_id48068

The 3000 mAh battery would be nice, but I'm guessing that battery life with the 2300 mAh battery will be sufficient, considering that the Snapdragon 800 is more energy efficient than the 600 that is in the HTC One (which also has a 2300 mAh battery).

I'm more concerned about the camera.  I don't care about the front camera so they can skimp there if they want to, but an 8MP camera with OIS is "good" or "decent."  It's certainly not "insanely great" like Vic said we would be seeing which is disappointing.

16GB with 2300mAh $299

32GB with 3000mAh $399

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-Nexus-5-pricing-leaks-different-battery-size-for-each-model_id48068

Hmm, ya I need that to be officially announced. That battery difference doesn't make sense to me.

Sent from me phone

Don't get your hopes up. Not happening. If 2300mAh isn't enough for you, go ahead and get a G2 or Note3 or whatever other phablet has a big enough battery for your needs.

Don't get your hopes up. Not happening. If 2300mAh isn't enough for you, go ahead and get a G2 or Note3 or whatever other phablet has a big enough battery for your needs.

I honestly don't think the G2 is a phablet.  It's about the same size as the S4, with a slightly larger screen. 

I honestly don't think the G2 is a phablet.  It's about the same size as the S4, with a slightly larger screen. 

Oh I wasn't saying that in a bad way, just that the larger phones normally have larger batteries, for obvious reasons. 

Every time a new phone is about to be released, everyone wants it to have everything they need, believe rumors that it might, and then are disappointed and bash it when it is announced. Instead of accepting that it might not be the phone for them, and looking elsewhere. 

If the battery capacity is that important to your daily needs, you should be purchasing any of the great phones out there with larger batteries today. Not waiting and hoping and blindly believing anonymous rumors that go against all of the leaks from official sources that we have received so far.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Oh I wasn't saying that in a bad way, just that the larger phones normally have larger batteries, for obvious reasons. 

Every time a new phone is about to be released, everyone wants it to have everything they need, believe rumors that it might, and then are disappointed and bash it when it is announced. Instead of accepting that it might not be the phone for them, and looking elsewhere. 

If the battery capacity is that important to your daily needs, you should be purchasing any of the great phones out there with larger batteries today. Not waiting and hoping and blindly believing anonymous rumors that go against all of the leaks from official sources that we have received so far.

Just my 2 cents.

People keep saying the Nexus 5 is based off the G2, but there's literally no relation aside from the SoC. Lol.  May aswel say the Note 3, and HTC One Pro (or whatever the huge phone is called) is also what Nexus 5 is based off of.

People keep saying the Nexus 5 is based off the G2, but there's literally no relation aside from the SoC. Lol.  May aswel say the Note 3, and HTC One Pro (or whatever the huge phone is called) is also what Nexus 5 is based off of.

With that logic you could say it's based off pretty much any other Snapdragon 800 SOC phone. 

• Like 2

I think 2300 mAh should be enough. The HTC One is the same size, and it lasts me the whole day. People always wants more than they can have. It would be nice to have the option, but I honestly doubt it would be a possibility.

-Luis

With that logic you could say it's based off pretty much any other Snapdragon 800 SOC phone. 

Exactly.  When people keep saying the Nexus 5 is based off the G2, I think they're completely off.  There's not a SINGLE thing alike aside from CPU.

• Like 1

16GB with 2300mAh $299

32GB with 3000mAh $399

Yea, I'm calling shenanigans on this one. First of all, it's an anonymously-sourced rumor with zero evidence backing it up. Second, as previously mentioned, we've already seen two, independent, solid sources indicating the battery will be 2300: The FCC filing and the log files. Very few to no phones have had multiple configurations with different battery sizes.

Hope I'm wrong, but really don't think so.