Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

The R4 is USCC and/or C Spire. They always used a R in their model numbers.

I was out working all day actually. Set up a booth at the Tulare Fair. Plus I helped tint a vehicle this afternoon. Sorry I wasn't available. Sprint data doesn't work at all in Tulare.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I really believe that the Samsung SMN900P is the Sprint variant of the Galaxy Note 3. Sprint has been too quiet on whether or not the Note 3 is Tri-Band. If I'm right, this will be very disappointing for Note users.

I am about to move on from the Note 3 to the LG G2.  After taking a deeper look into it, I think its probably my best alternative to the Note 3.  I am going to play with the LG G2 at ATT and Verizon this weekend.  I still have some hope for the HTC One Max and Nexus 5 but right now I am kinda intrigued with the LG G2.

It makes absolutely no sense to relase a single band LTE device at this point. No way you look at it. Smh @ sprint

You really think Sprint did not want a Triband device? As if Samsung did and Sprint chose not to? I don't think this was a choice at all.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 3

You really think Sprint did not want a Triband device? As if Samsung did and Sprint chose not to? I don't think this was a choice at all.

So I wonder why Samsung couldn't/wouldn't do it then? Especially if VZW is getting dual band...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

So I wonder why Samsung couldn't/wouldn't do it then? Especially if VZW is getting dual band...

There is nothing unusual about the two bands in the VZW model. They are common bands in lots of devices. Band 26 and Band 41 are uniquely Sprint at this point. Also, don't forget that Band 41 is TDD.

There is nothing unusual about the two bands in the VZW model. They are common bands in lots of devices. Band 26 and Band 41 are uniquely Sprint at this point. Also, don't forget that Band 41 is TDD.

Well boo. How dare Samsung not give me everything I want. :D

I'll be honest though...I really thought the GN3 was going to be Triband. I will not be getting it. At least not on my Sprint account. Only Triband for me.

I'm thinking 5" is just about right. :)

• Like 4

Ok, I can understand the lack of tri-band/LTE 2600. AJ's theory about the importance of SVLTE over raw speed on a phablet makes sense. You guys know how important I think SVLTE is, so that is a tradeoff I am definitely willing to accept.

However, I find it unfathomable that Samsung would not at least include 800 LTE like even Apple did. They can't use the excuse that they didn't have enough time like some are using with tri-band (referencing how recent the Clear acquisition was). It's been known for over a year that Sprint would refarm most of their SMR holdings from iDEN to LTE, with approval coming from the FCC months ago, so there was plenty of time to include it in the phone. Additionally, 800 LTE will become available at a much faster clip than 2600, so it's harder to use the excuse that no-one will be able to use those bands anyway until the Note 4 or whatever arrives.

I would say that the LG G2 will outsell the Note 3 over this mistake, but between Samsung's brand recognition and the lack of knowledge among most consumers about the different bands, it will sadly only be Sprint whose image will continue to suffer over the relative lack of LTE coverage.

A friend of mine in Chicago who owns a Note 2 has been eagerly awaiting the Note 3 because we both assumed it would be tri-band, and because that market will be among the first to have both bands deployed. Removable battery and microSD are very important to him, so I guess he's SOL. May as well keep the Note 2.

At this rate, hardly anyone's going to be taking advantage of 800/2600 LTE until both waves of Network Vision are finished. I sure hope Sprint is taking a harder look at adding another PCS LTE carrier now.

• Like 1

Ok, I can understand the lack of tri-band/LTE 2600. AJ's theory about the importance of SVLTE over raw speed on a phablet makes sense. You guys know how important I think SVLTE is, so that is a tradeoff I am definitely willing to accept.

However, I find it unfathomable that Samsung would not at least include 800 LTE like even Apple did. They can't use the excuse that they didn't have enough time like some are using with tri-band (referencing how recent the Clear acquisition was). It's been known for over a year that Sprint would refarm most of their SMR holdings from iDEN to LTE, with approval coming from the FCC months ago, so there was plenty of time to include it in the phone. Additionally, 800 LTE will become available at a much faster clip than 2600, so it's harder to use the excuse that no-one will be able to use those bands anyway until the Note 4 or whatever arrives.

I would say that the LG G2 will outsell the Note 3 over this mistake, but between Samsung's brand recognition and the lack of knowledge among most consumers about the different bands, it will sadly only be Sprint whose image will continue to suffer over the relative lack of LTE coverage.

OMG yes!!!!  I think Samsung should have at least made the Note 3 dual band LTE support with B25 and B26 support.  If Samsung made the Note 3 dual band 800/1900 LTE support, I still would have strongly considered the Note 3 because what I care more about is being able to use LTE indoors.  While losing B41 would still suck because of the potential fast speeds that TD-LTE can bring, I would have been willing to deal with it because the Note 3 is just that sexy.

Because the Note 3 is going to be single band LTE only now, it really drives me away from not being able to offload onto the LTE 800 band which I think for the most part people really care about to compete with Verizon and ATT in terms of LTE coverage indoors.

As for the LG G2, I am strongly considering that phone now since its still got a large screen in 5.2 inches and its got triband LTE with Qualcomm S800 chip.  My only concerns with LG G2 is the software support, user interface and RF performance.  I think I can get used to the back panel buttons but I will have to play with it to see for myself at ATT and Verizon.

I think its just depressing to know that the GS4 mini was somehow able to get triband LTE while the Note 3 wasn't able to especially since the Note 3 is going to outdo sales than a GS4 mini would. The GS4 mini shows that Samsung has the components that are capable of supporting B26 and B41.  I think if the GS4 mini did not get triband LTE capability, then I would say its much easier for all of us to blame Samsung for not wanting to support B26 and B41 this year.

Because the GS4 mini was announced earlier this year in June, we would have expected that any Samsung phones past June 2013 would for sure be triband LTE based on those FCC docs.  At this point its just "water under the bridge" and Samsung is dead to me.... :lol: since they failed twice with the GS4 and Note 3 being single band LTE. 

Looks like I'll most likely take my business to their rival LG with the LG G2 but its possible the HTC One Max or Nexus 5 can win my heart.

Robert likely sums up the situation succinctly above.  I will say, though, that band 4 is not unique, but band 13 is a boutique band.  However, VZW is VZW.  On a single country basis, it is arguably the most valuable wireless operator on the planet.  So, OEMs bend over backward for VZW.  And, of course, Neal Gompa will probably chime in and say that this Note 3 difficulty is what Sprint gets for still running CDMA2000, not converting to W-CDMA, and having three boutique LTE bands.

AJ

I definitely do not defend Samsung here at all. It seems a dual band could have been done pretty easily for Sprint. And if there is a Sprint HTC One Max that is Triband, it makes it a lot more attractive.

• Like 1

I definitely do not defend Samsung here at all. It seems a dual band could have been done pretty easily for Sprint. And if there is a Sprint HTC One Max that is Triband, it makes it a lot more attractive.

If Apple can do it, anyone can. :P

• Like 2

Its why I'm now considering the G2 and Nexus 5. HTC One Max as well if it supports all 3.

• Like 1

Agreed.  If the Note 3 was at least dual band as in B25 and B26 LTE support, I would have been more at ease and would still pick it up.

I'll be honest though...I really thought the GN3 was going to be Triband. I will not be getting it. At least not on my Sprint account. Only Triband for me.

I'm thinking 5" is just about right. :)

Yep, the Nexus 5 looks sweet, and it carries at least the technical possibility of some LTE roaming in the future. No microSD means it's not for me, but for those who don't care about that I do feel excited for them. Here's to hoping it also comes unlocked!

• Like 1

Robert likely sums up the situation succinctly above.  I will say, though, that band 4 is not unique, but band 13 is a boutique band.  However, VZW is VZW.  On a single country basis, it is arguably the most valuable wireless operator on the planet.  So, OEMs bend over backward for VZW.  And, of course, Neal Gompa will probably chime in and say that this Note 3 difficulty is what Sprint gets for still running CDMA2000, not converting to W-CDMA, and having three boutique LTE bands.

AJ

The best part about that is that CDMA2000 and unique LTE bands are IMO completely orthogonal. 

The best part about that is that CDMA2000 and unique LTE bands are IMO completely orthogonal. 

No, the CDMA2000 Walsh codes are orthogonal.

;)

AJ

No, the CDMA2000 Walsh codes are orthogonal.

;)

AJ

Ha I admit I had to look that one up. Back on topic, I do wonder if maybe they finalized both the GS4 and Note III for Sprint (as far as bands and such) at the same time.

Agreed.  If the Note 3 was at least dual band as in B25 and B26 LTE support, I would have been more at ease and would still pick it up.

Fully agree here.  It would have been simple for them to do the B26 support but then again that would have been another band on a separate transmission path.  So...blah...  this is way worse than what Apple did!  I will not be buying a Sprint Note3 for sure, definitely not in the market I'm in.  Keeping my fingers crossed that when it does come time to buy a new device in the first quarter of 2014 for us there will be a device that fits our needs in Sprint's lineup, otherwise I think this combined with several other factors that this will finally push me on over and make me look at the blue and red Note3's.  I'm curious now if VZW's Note3 supports their AWS LTE band since I've seen a carrier on their licensed AWS frequency here in town. 

• Like 1

Are we 100 percent sure Sprint is -P? Could it be - R4 and do we know much about - R4? The - R4 one was closer to the big 3 on that one list. I may be clutching at straws but I don't see how it couldn't be triband. If it's not no TD-LTE note 3 for Softbank either I guess.

Are we 100 percent sure Sprint is -P? Could it be - R4 and do we know much about - R4? The - R4 one was closer to the big 3 on that one list. I may be clutching at straws but I don't see how it couldn't be triband. If it's not no TD-LTE note 3 for Softbank either I guess.

No idea...the BC10 in the one device really kind of nails it being Sprint unless some other provider plans on leasing some 800SMR from Sprint to rollout service which is highly unlikely in my eyes.  But I'm trying to hold out judgement until we know 100% sure that the Note3 is rolling out with two of it's bands neutered.

I would be very hesitant to run lovingly into LG's arms for the chance to be one of the first to jump on Band 26 and 41, especially anyone using a 2 year upgrade with plans on waiting out the majority of the next 2 years before upgrading again.  I'm aware LG has aggressively improved the quality of its devices, but long-term ownership device satisfaction will not be toe to toe with Samsung.  I would love for the short and long term reviews to prove me wrong, but my instinct is to poke any LG device with a long stick before accepting it. 

Robert's mention about the 'boutique' bands and AJ's thoughts on the merit of a phablet without SVLTE all make sense.  Couple the late arrival of the G2 with those issues.....  something is amiss with the testing or functional quality of the first tri-band attempts.  I understand that other carriers have packed support for multiple bands in devices, but have any other carriers attempted to ACTIVELY use 3 different bands fluidly on a device yet?