Network Vision/LTE - Cleveland/NE Ohio Market

Ianmac23

Has anyone used the CDMA 800 sites around Sandusky lately? I heard a rumor that all the Cleveland 800 sites in the IBEZ were turned off. I'd love to get verification.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I have used the ones in Sandusky at Cedar Point. I used them when they where first turned on. I believe I made a post about it too. There are also a few live in Elyria by I-90.

• Like 1

I have used the ones in Sandusky at Cedar Point. I used them when they where first turned on. I believe I made a post about it too. There are also a few live in Elyria by I-90.

Yeah, the rumor I heard was they were turned off in the early Spring.  I'd love some verification sometime since then.  Supposedly some were fired up in Washington State too, and then turned off also.

Robert

Yeah, the rumor I heard was they were turned off in the early Spring.  I'd love some verification sometime since then.  Supposedly some were fired up in Washington State too, and then turned off also.

Robert

There's ongoing scuttle in our discussions down here about how the IBEZ may be affecting 1x800 completion our way. There's an imaginary line east to west thru our market where the southern 3/4 of Columbus has a dense 1x800 completion and above that nothing. But the S4GRU maps showed Cleveland with 1x800 which would blow out the IBEZ reasoning. Hence your call for reporting of active 1x800 I believe.

Also, I remember the FCC reporting Ohio rebanding is 100% complete dated late June??? It was an interesting read, all the rebanding documents. In a nutshell Sprint has to give permission for upper 800 users to remain past the deadline date. Sprint is paying for the upper 800 users to get off the spectrum. Sprint is being really, really nice to those users. I'd charge them rent.

• Like 1

Rebanding in the U.S. is only one part of what it will take to open up the IBEZ.  Rebanding in Canada must also be complete, or no narrowband providers operating on the other side of the border.  I have no idea what the status of rebanding is in Mexico or Canada.

Robert

• Like 1

Fantastic!

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Then I come back to stow with 3g, may be calling sprint to get the holly tree tower figured out. Idk what's going on
  • Like 1

Yeah, if anyone finds 1x 800 within 30 miles of Lake Erie, please post a SignalCheck Pro screenshot.  Thanks!

Robert

I'll certainly make it known if and when I see 800 from accepted sites in my area. Hopefully someone closer to Erie county can keep tabs on those.

Rebanding in the U.S. is only one part of what it will take to open up the IBEZ.  Rebanding in Canada must also be complete, or no narrowband providers operating on the other side of the border.  I have no idea what the status of rebanding is in Mexico or Canada.

Robert

That's all I could come up with too. The documentation I've read on 800MHz rebranding seems to apply on both sides of the boarder. I'd love to get my hands on Sprint correspondence with Industry Canada on their progress.

Doing a search at Industry Canada's Radio, Spectrum and Telecommunications division for 861-869MHz yieled a huge pile of public sector licenses just in Ontario alone (over 6,000 results). Boiling it down to indvidual municipalities, it still is probably a few hundred at the very least. Who knows how many, if any, have been relocated to another rebranded part of 800, so we may still be waiting a good while longer, unfortunately. :( I still haven't found anything about rebranding efforts in Canada yet. I'll make a new post if I find something :)

• Like 1

I think I've done about as much online digging as possible. I did my searching in Ontario, but I would imagine that the rest of Canada is in a similar situation. I narrowed my search just to 863-869 MHz after I took another look at 800MHz reconfiguration literature and discovered 860 to roughly 863 will be outside of the repacked SMR band for Region 3, our region. The good news is that frequency authorization dates according to Industry Canada with only a couple of exceptions, has only authorized licenses receive or transmit on frequencies above 866MHz since 4/2012 (with the other frequency being below the repacked spectrum). The bad news is that the 2nd chunk of SMR spectrum to be eventually cleared, 866.45-869MHz has lots of new authorizations up to the present.

A vast majority of the licenses from 863-869MHz are marked as active (6 designation), so it doesn't appear that relocation efforts of existing licensees has progressed much. So from what I can conclude, Canadian efforts to free up enough spectrum for 1x800 operation seems to be in the works, though still a ways off. There aren't any frequency statuses yet being marked as transferred (8 designation). Unfortunately, enough freed spectrum for LTE operations in our border region seem to be a ways off. I hope I'm wrong on this but the government records seem to reflect this trend.

Industry Canada license search (frequency authorization dates box needs to be checked) Correction: It's called Spectrum Direct Radio Frequency search.

http://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/web_search.frequency_range_input

to help decipher the frequency statuses column

http://sd.ic.gc.ca/engdoc/decode/frq_stat.txt

Edited by Joski1624
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it that I can always pickup B41 with my Nexus 5 with LTE priority fixed, but my galaxy s5 NEVER picks up b41 (i480 Brooklyn area)

Why is it that I can always pickup B41 with my Nexus 5 with LTE priority fixed, but my galaxy s5 NEVER picks up b41 (i480 Brooklyn area)

That's wierd because my GS5 picks up B41 all the time.  It's on B41 right now in Mayfield Heights.  I also pick it up in Parma (close to the corner of Brookpark and Broadview roads). 

Also I had jury duty for the past week and 2 days.  Had B41 downtown also.

• Like 1

Has anyone used the CDMA 800 sites around Sandusky lately? I heard a rumor that all the Cleveland 800 sites in the IBEZ were turned off. I'd love to get verification.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I was in Port Clinton,  the center of Sandusky, and the eastern portion of Sandusky on Saturday with a 800prl installed and found no 1x800.  I started in Columbus on 270 and the furthest north site I picked up was: Cemetery Rd & Jack Nicklaus Fwy, Hilliard.  No Luck from Columbus Billingsley site either.

I was in cdma mode through Delaware and Marion until Upper Sandusky.  Hunted LTE for the Cleveland Spreadsheet  until the Ohio turnpike approaching Port Clinton.  Switched back and forth from Global to CDMA until leaving Sandusky.

For others, I was in Ontario north of Lake Erie last week, and 800 is used for voice, visible to a Motorola Admiral and Photon 4g (http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4742-columbus-market-mapspreadsheet/page-172&do=findComment&comment=351414), which is not true for 1x800.

• Like 2

I found band 41 on State Rd in Parma today. I drove from State Rd to Great Northern Mall via Brookpark Rd and was on band 41 most of the trip. Did several speed tests and was consistently in the 20's and 30's and hit a high of 56 on the download. Uploads were in the mid teens also. I'm impressed. 

• Like 1

I believe I picked up B41 off of the Lear road/i90 tower yesterday

• 2 weeks later...

Still so strange... I have no problem getting B41 on my Nexus 5.. I just switched to my Galaxy S5, and Still can not pick up any B41..  Any place.. I can see the tower from my office, Nexus 5 always shows connected to B41, but GS5 Doesn't... All bands are enabled   Weird.. 

CLBOWENS:  When you have connected to B41 with your GS5, were you in a car?  Have you ever connect to B41 on the Highway?

I'm just curious and trying to figure out if there is an issue with my GS5..

• Like 1

Still so strange... I have no problem getting B41 on my Nexus 5.. I just switched to my Galaxy S5, and Still can not pick up any B41..  Any place.. I can see the tower from my office, Nexus 5 always shows connected to B41, but GS5 Doesn't... All bands are enabled   Weird.. 

CLBOWENS:  When you have connected to B41 with your GS5, were you in a car?  Have you ever connect to B41 on the Highway?

I'm just curious and trying to figure out if there is an issue with my GS5..

I'm not sure about being connected while in a car.  Never checked.  But usually at my desk at work, it sits in B41 (even though at this moment, it's not!).

Just thought I would mention this...I've been bit by false B41 positives on SCP. It said I was connected to B41 and it ended up displaying a B25 GCI, so that meant that it really was band 25. There definitely is spotty B41 in the area, but this also seems to screw up SCP when falling back to B25.

Picked up B41 on 480 near the brookpark tower and then again on green road in the beachwood area.. Speed test pulled 33mbps but really seemed throttled.. ge5yseny.jpg

This kinda proved my point, though I was able to add the missing information to the LTE spreadsheet. This completes all the fields for that site! :D