Network Vision/LTE - Cleveland/NE Ohio Market

Ianmac23

Foliage also attenuates signals...The leaves on the trees really sprouted with last spell of hot weather we had about 2 weeks ago.

Also, Old Brooklyn isn't a very good area for Sprint in my experience... I had a lot of in-building roaming when I was visiting a buddy of mine last week . Hopefully that gets Sprint's attention and they'll hopefully improve coverage one day...800MHz will help once it's deployed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My two lines also revert to 3G often.  1x is the norm in neighborhoods like Seven Hills, Mentor on the Lake, Old Brooklyn. 

I finally succeeded in convincing the other half to try Sprint in December.  The spotty data coverage was expected (although I do see improvements).  The larger disappointment definitely has to do with call quality in Cleveland.  We've travelled to other cities and the Sprint call quality is very good.  It's certainly iffy in Cleveland.. "digitizes" quite a bit and always in the same areas.  Even the WiFi calling hasn't totally resolved the issues.  

Very much anticipating Sprint's plans for the next two years.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hows the service currently in Cleveland and around Ceder Point? I should be in town for a few days next week.

Cleveland is pretty decent. There are some dead spots in the southwestern suburbs 30-40 miles outside of Cleveland. Highways and any mildly populated areas have great coverage. Cedar point has 800MHz Voice and great coverage everywhere throughout the park.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cleveland is pretty decent. There are some dead spots in the southwestern suburbs 30-40 miles outside of Cleveland. Highways and any mildly populated areas have great coverage. Cedar point has 800MHz Voice and great coverage everywhere throughout the park.

Thanks for that information!

• Like 1

Thanks for that information!

No problem. Other than the places that are out in the middle of nowhere which happen to also be bedroom communities sprint has rock solid coverage.

• 2 weeks later...

No problem. Other than the places that are out in the middle of nowhere which happen to also be bedroom communities sprint has rock solid coverage.

I'm looking forward to more info on the 800 rollout in Cleveland.  In building data coverage is still the pits in Ohio City, Downtown and Tremont.    (I realize this is my experience as I'm in these places most for work and play) 

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Put-In-bay has any LTE coverage yet?planning a trip there later this month. Last year when I went i remember seeing a water tower with antennas on it but I doubt it was sprint. I had a few bars of 1x the whole time. 

If you weren't roaming, then you were on Sprint. I don't believe there is any on-network roaming agreements with anyone in northern Ohio. Your best option may be to check Sprint's coverage maps.

• 5 weeks later...

Because it wasn't included in the markets that were rolled out.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/07/16/sprints-2x-carrier-aggregation-goes-live-in-nearly-40-markets-across-the-us/

I don't see Cleveland. Am I missing something?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

No, you are not missing anything. I just did a little reading on some of the other Cleveland forums and I do not see any evidence of a second B41 carrier or CA.

However, do not take that as being ignored. Just as New York City is certainly not being ignored. CA has not been deployed there as of yet either. Not because Sprint is ignoring these areas, they simply cannot launch CA at this point in time for one reason or another. When the conditions have been corrected, you can be sure it will be deployed, and quickly.

(WiMax)

I know it will be available at some point as I'm hoping my nexus 6 gets the software to be compatible with CA, I was more wondering how the cities to the south get ca, in the first rollout but not Cleveland.

Edited by joevehar

I know it will be available at some point as I'm hoping my nexus 6 gets the software to be compatible with CA, I was more wondering how the cities to the south get ca, in the first rollout but not Cleveland.

Easy there, fella.

Right now, carrier aggregation is more about winning RootMetrics awards than it is about actual usability.  Carrier aggregation or not, a single band 41 carrier is perfectly usable.

And I am sorry to break the news to you, but your Nexus 6 will never get an update to support carrier aggregation on Sprint.  It does not have the requisite RF transceiver and baseband hardware.

AJ

My point being is my market with the exception of wimax almost 8 years ago is the last to rollout.

On a sidenote I think you're misunderstanding my tone, I'm not upset or uppity just curious. I've been following s4gru For a long time, and with Sprint even longer. This stuff is fascinating to me.

Edited by joevehar

My point being is my market with the exception of wimax almost 8 years ago is the last to rollout.

On a sidenote I think you're misunderstanding my tone, I'm not upset or uppity just curious. I've been following s4gru For a long time, and with Sprint even longer. This stuff is fascinating to me.

Okay, I am not trying to criticize you, just to curb your enthusiasm.  I appreciate your curiosity.  Keep in mind that I am the tech editor here at S4GRU.  I am as curious about the wireless industry as anyone and have been for about 15 years.

But band 41 carrier aggregation, right now, is more of a novelty than anything else.  Even in markets where 2x CA has been deployed, it is not on all sites.  So, do not feel like Cleveland has been left in the dark ages.

And we will spare the Cleveland jokes/videos in this post...

AJ

• Like 1

CA is being worked on in all markets that have second carrier of B41 deployed. But not all were ready enough to launch with the previous list. If your market does not have a second carrier, yet, then it is because of their spectrum management division. They are either moving things around still or there are WiMax mitigation issues working through. And then there is always just a lower priority issue that could be at play. But we do not have any specifics relating to the Cleveland market and CA.

The best thing to do is to join your market groups, start monitoring, reporting and analyzing what is happening at sites in your area with your fellow marketeers and you will likely start to see things unfold a sooner than anyone else. It's exciting and keeps you in the know. The S4GRU Sponsor Groups in Ohio are among the best in all of S4GRUdom.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'll chime in FWIW. I admit that I too was disappointed that CA and B41 2nd carrier has yet to make a splash here. I can most assuredly say that Sprint hasn't completely forgotten Cleveland.

Cleveland covers the most Ohio counties of any of the Ohio markets. Cincinnati is larger geographically, though covers parts of KY and IN. Also, outside of Cuyahoga County, B41 for the most part isn't cutting it in other urban areas, so what I and others have found is that Sprint is adding sites at a more rapid pace to improve density. I believe this is a more pressing issue. It's been a challenge for me to keep up lately. There have been new sites that have come online within the past month or two that we're still trying to find. They've been showing up in CDMA and LTE logs, so we at least know of a general area.

I'd be delighted if others would be willing to pitch in and help track the progress in our market. There's a small handfull that are contributing field data, and more would be helpful, especially now. I am very thankful for those who are currently helping. A lot of mysteries have been solved so far with user field data from log files, and there's more work to do in that realm.

• Like 2

Side note was at CedarPoint on Friday the 7th.  Coverage at the park and speed was AWESOME.  To think that 2 years ago you could barely text on a busy day, let alone make a call, and data was so slow a smartphone was useless until you got down by Rt2.  I'm interested to see how the single tower performs during HalloWeekends, considering VZW brings in 2 COWs (usually one out by Chausee entrance to parking lot, one back by Soak City) to handle the additional load.

I had B41 most of the day, early in morning while on Magnum exit ramp around 1130 did a speed test and got about 70 meg down, suspected CA but SignalCheck didn't log the second carrier, and by time i got engineering screen up it was too late.  They probably are getting ready for CA, and CP definitely will need it come HalloWeekends.

I also was occasionally on the drive up seeing B25^2 which leads me to they may have a few towers in Sandusky broadcasting second carriers.

Sent logs to DKYeager to be parsed the other day.

• Like 2