Network Vision/LTE - Cleveland/NE Ohio Market

Ianmac23

It's funny how this thread just dies every once in a while. I try to revive it so the people who are WAAAY smarter than me can help enlighten me on what is going on. My contract is up and I'm just waiting on the new iPhone and I want to know if Sprint will be a viable carrier or not once I make my decision in September. Thanks all!

I constantly check this but since we all have LTE we are pretty content haha.

One thing I will say is that the towers are spotty. I never expected it to be so spotty, driving to work I'll constantly jump between LTE and 3g. It's kind of disappointing. But when I do have LTE it's pretty awesom.

• Like 1

I constantly check this but since we all have LTE we are pretty content haha.

One thing I will say is that the towers are spotty. I never expected it to be so spotty, driving to work I'll constantly jump between LTE and 3g. It's kind of disappointing. But when I do have LTE it's pretty awesom.

It's spotty because there are still quite a few 3G only towers, on top of that the LTE towers haven't exactly been fine tuned yet. One everything is upgraded the amount of Swiss cheese will be reduced to almost none or eliminated.
  • Like 1

Anyone else having a harder time getting onto Sprint 3G lately?  The first few weeks after most of Cleveland was lit up things were noticeably better for me downtown, but the last couple weeks my 4S will go onto Extended 1x forever.  Example: when I park in a garage downtown it will pick up only Extended 1x while inside.  Used to be that by the time I made it onto E. 9th St I'd be on Sprint 3G.  Yesterday when leaving downtown I was on Extended 1x until I passed Independence on 77S.  On top of that, there's some areas on 21S that used to be iffy Sprint 3G areas, and now that the towers in that area have been upgraded with NV I only seem to get Sprint 1x from them.  To be fair, they are pretty rural areas, but I expected things to get better with NV, not worse.  Anyone else noticing anything similar?

Here's to hoping that they are still fine tuning things....

Anyone else having a harder time getting onto Sprint 3G lately? The first few weeks after most of Cleveland was lit up things were noticeably better for me downtown, but the last couple weeks my 4S will go onto Extended 1x forever. Example: when I park in a garage downtown it will pick up only Extended 1x while inside. Used to be that by the time I made it onto E. 9th St I'd be on Sprint 3G. Yesterday when leaving downtown I was on Extended 1x until I passed Independence on 77S. On top of that, there's some areas on 21S that used to be iffy Sprint 3G areas, and now that the towers in that area have been upgraded with NV I only seem to get Sprint 1x from them. To be fair, they are pretty rural areas, but I expected things to get better with NV, not worse. Anyone else noticing anything similar?

Here's to hoping that they are still fine tuning things....

The only difference I experience is that it takes longer for my device to connect to 3G since the NV upgrade, though it usually does it within 60 seconds. It use to average 15 seconds or less when the Motorola equipment was in place. It's not a huge issue for me since I'm primarily in LTE service areas, but super annoying if I'm streaming music while traveling and the phone has to switch to 3G. No amount of buffering seems to make up for the lag in the switchover. :(

Our economy's based on LeBron James -- again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

AJ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up b41 today on Green rd between Beachwood and Miles road :-)

• Like 4

Seems as though they've really slowed down the process in the area...unless it's just that no one is posting in this thread anymore??

I know in North Olmsted, the speeds by the mall are pretty fast.  Not sure if they've done anything else though.

Edited by pongool

Seems as though they've really slowed down the process in the area...unless it's just that no one is posting in this thread anymore??

I know in North Olmsted, the speeds by the mall are pretty fast. Not sure if they've done anything else though.

Yeah, I haven't noticed any new areas with LTE lately. I still have a weak EHRPD at my house, with a solid LTE signal just a few blocks away, and most places I go here on the east side and downtown, I get a decent 4g signal. Just not at home, which is a bummer, but the voice coverage is a little better than it used to be, so I'm not itching to leave for T-Mobile like I was a few months ago.

I know in North Olmsted, the speeds by the mall are pretty fast.  Not sure if they've done anything else though.

Yeah, I haven't noticed any new areas with LTE lately. I still have a weak EHRPD at my house, with a solid LTE signal just a few blocks away, and most places I go here on the east side and downtown, I get a decent 4g signal. Just not at home, which is a bummer, but the voice coverage is a little better than it used to be, so I'm not itching to leave for T-Mobile like I was a few months ago.

The actual LTE tower rollout itself in NEO is pretty much done, from looking at maps - there's about a dozen towers or so in the metro area that look to be anything other than 3G & 4G accepted. I'm sure the area's queued for tuning, which will help (though as noted, some tuning's been done - hence better voice coverage), and we're still waiting for the damn metro public services to get their asses off of the 800 MHz stuff so that it can be deployed. Once that happens, should dramatically help voice penetration, and hopefully not too long after LTE penetration.

Picked up B41 on 480 near the brookpark tower and then again on green road in the beachwood area.. Speed test pulled 33mbps but really seemed throttled..

ge5yseny.jpg

• Like 1

tprevett, you seem to be extraordinarily lucky with finding b41. I've only found it near the airport, and as you have noted, the speeds aren't very impressive. I'm still scratching my head with LTE GCI's. The sequence is identical to B25 GCI's unless one stumbles across a Clearwire signal. By the way, the next time you go by that site, grab the info for B25 as we're missing that sector on the spreadsheet/map...Thanks :) I've done quite a bit of work on it, but it'll go faster with help since I rarely deviate much from 480 when traveling through town.

As far as a lack of 800MHz, I think it's more of an IBEZ thing now than anything else. I've received plenty of 800 around and south of U.S. 30. It's just too bad that it is at the extreme southern edge of our market.

tprevett, you seem to be extraordinarily lucky with finding b41. I've only found it near the airport, and as you have noted, the speeds aren't very impressive. I'm still scratching my head with LTE GCI's. The sequence is identical to B25 GCI's unless one stumbles across a Clearwire signal. By the way, the next time you go by that site, grab the info for B25 as we're missing that sector on the spreadsheet/map...Thanks :) I've done quite a bit of work on it, but it'll go faster with help since I rarely deviate much from 480 when traveling through town.

I've picked up B41 in the Mayfield Heights area and the Parma area.  Seems like they are turning on B41 rather quickly, as compared to B25.

• Like 1

As far as a lack of 800MHz, I think it's more of an IBEZ thing now than anything else. I've received plenty of 800 around and south of U.S. 30. It's just too bad that it is at the extreme southern edge of our market.

I don't think it's IBEZ, pretty sure that's largely addressed for Cleveland - see the 800 MHz deploys over in Sandusky - see link in PM following, from premier forums around reasons...

I don't think it's IBEZ, pretty sure that's largely addressed for Cleveland - see the 800 MHz deploys over in Sandusky - see link in PM following, from premier forums around reasons...

Has anyone used the CDMA 800 sites around Sandusky lately? I heard a rumor that all the Cleveland 800 sites in the IBEZ were turned off. I'd love to get verification.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Actually I believe its public services which has not released 800mhz yet.. I just saw a FCC application from July 30 from Beachwood requesting that they are allowed to continue running their 800mhz radios without repeater's.. For on scene communications. Or something to that effect

Has anyone used the CDMA 800 sites around Sandusky lately? I heard a rumor that all the Cleveland 800 sites in the IBEZ were turned off. I'd love to get verification.

Haven't, though I'll be out that way late next month - can check on the 1X then.

What kind of verification is needed? I haven't seen anything 800 from any of the sites in the northeastern part of the market, only in the extreme southeast so far. I work about a mile from a 1x800 site and I either get a really crummy PCS signal, or roaming if I'm lucky.

What kind of verification is needed? I haven't seen anything 800 from any of the sites in the northeastern part of the market, only in the extreme southeast so far. I work about a mile from a 1x800 site and I either get a really crummy PCS signal, or roaming if I'm lucky.

Yeah, if anyone finds 1x 800 within 30 miles of Lake Erie, please post a SignalCheck Pro screenshot.  Thanks!

Robert

• Like 1