Network Vision/LTE - Cleveland/NE Ohio Market

Ianmac23

A question for those of you who understand the details of the network. It seems that every time I check out Sprint's network page (network.sprint.com) & look at the Cleveland Area (Independence mainly), there always seems to be a bunch of speed upgrades in the last six months, generally 2 per tower listed. It seems like it's been this way for a long time. Does Sprint keep giving speed upgrades to these towers? If so, why do they do it in stages & why not just give a larger speed increase all at once. I'm guessing that  when I look at the map 6 months from now, it will continue to say 2 speed upgrades in the last 6 months at each of the nearby towers.

A question for those of you who understand the details of the network. It seems that every time I check out Sprint's network page (network.sprint.com) & look at the Cleveland Area (Independence mainly), there always seems to be a bunch of speed upgrades in the last six months, generally 2 per tower listed. It seems like it's been this way for a long time. Does Sprint keep giving speed upgrades to these towers? If so, why do they do it in stages & why not just give a larger speed increase all at once. I'm guessing that  when I look at the map 6 months from now, it will continue to say 2 speed upgrades in the last 6 months at each of the nearby towers.

Probably speed upgrades through upgraded backhaul for B41. Your device listed states iPhone 5, a single band LTE device. You need to upgrade to a triband device to get the best coverage and performance for Sprint's network. It's really life changing.

Probably speed upgrades through upgraded backhaul for B41. Your device listed states iPhone 5, a single band LTE device. You need to upgrade to a triband device to get the best coverage and performance for Sprint's network. It's really life changing.

Its not really life changing in the cleveland area.

I travel up there at least once a year to see family and i can say the build out is going for sure but its like.....Slow....(the buildout not the network)

one of my family members had a WiMax Galaxy S2 and they could get WiMax inside their house. recently she got a Triband GS4 and the WiMax tower was upgraded to B41. it doesnt even reach her front door. we loose it on the road in front of their house and range seems way worse on B41 than WiMax was.

Everywhere i drove i could get some sort of 4G signal but B41 was incredibly rare. when we could pick it up you were looking at a cool 60Mbps but you usually lost signal very fast and i even encountered some 3G which was disappointing.

Things are getting better for sure but its at a snails pace. i think next year will be a good year for the cleveland area and sprint since they have already been working on it for a few years and it seems like they are very close to finishing from my perspective.

• Like 1

Takes so long and so.many hoops to jump thru to just upload a simple screenshot to the forum......but, this is as far as my phone would let me post the pic......I wanted this to go to a specific thread but it won't let me

Looks like great voice and weak LTE. Wish I had 72 dbm of 800 1xrtt at home.

Makes me ask the question: If I had two choices make voice strong and data weak or data strong and voice weak, which would be best?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Looks like great voice and weak LTE. Wish I had 72 dbm of 800 1xrtt at home.

Makes me ask the question: If I had two choices make voice strong and data weak or data strong and voice weak, which would be best?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I'd go for strong data and weak voice, that way you can use VoIP over the data and have the best of both worlds.

Takes so long and so.many hoops to jump thru to just upload a simple screenshot to the forum......but, this is as far as my phone would let me post the pic......I wanted this to go to a specific thread but it won't let me

I believe you were looking for this thread: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1961-network-visionlte-cincinnati-market/

• Like 1

Not sure how many saw the details in the other Cleveland market threads, but I have recently started finding 1x800 showing up in the Youngstown IBEZ exclusion zone. The now two sites that I've found so far are in testing mode and were only found because I'm using a PRL that scans for 1x800 testing SIDs which are not normally built into the standard PRL.

Akron is also an IBEZ exclusion area and could very well have 800 test sites active too.

• Like 2

1x800 is probably widespread in the Youngstown IBEZ exclusion zone now. I will have logs with more sites in the Cleveland sponsor Hunter's threads within the next day or so, hopefully. The best part is that it is no longer in testing mode :D , so anyone with a capable device can connect to it with the standard PRL.

Screenshot_2015-08-27-19-18-48.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Encountered this yesterday near Route 30 in the Orrville-Dalton area (Wayne County), which is within the IBEZ and outside the Akron "crop circle." I found it quite intriguing. Didn't get a chance to turn off wi-fi and test data connection, though. Thoughts?

Note: I'm using a Nexus 6 on Project Fi.

post-26705-0-89971100-1441679463_thumb.png

Edited by el_schisne
  • Like 1

Encountered this yesterday near Route 30 in the Orrville-Dalton area (Wayne County), which is within the IBEZ and outside the Akron "crop circle." I found it quite intriguing. Didn't get a chance to turn off wi-fi and test data connection, though. Thoughts?

It's nothing special, you won't see anything better for data speeds as you're still on 3G. The big thing to look for is LTE 800, that's what really matters to fill in the coverage gaps (however tiny they may be, they're still enough to drop you down to 3G if you get in an odd spot.)

• Like 1

I did track the site location down based on your field data and it is within the secondary IBEZ boundary. It's good to have further confirmation of that occurring in our market. The only other one so far that's been found outside of the exclusion zones and within the secondary IBEZ boundary is a site just west of Mansfield near US-30. This may not be a big deal for those with already good service, but for folks like myself who live in rural areas with CDMA dead zones, it is a welcomed development. Also keep in mind that 1x800 is a precursor to 800 LTE and is normally launched first. Those with services from Virgin, Boost mobile, et al. who have an 800 capable device will especially benefit from 1x800 because they only work on the Sprint network.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I possibly could be moving up to Cleveland because of a job offer. I would like to know what the overall experience is like with Sprint there? I'm from Columbus and my service here is pretty outstanding and wondered if I'll get the same or similar too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone. I possibly could be moving up to Cleveland because of a job offer. I would like to know what the overall experience is like with Sprint there? I'm from Columbus and my service here is pretty outstanding and wondered if I'll get the same or similar too?

I would say that Sprint is probably not as outstanding and dense as Columbus, but I would say it's good overall.

I was waiting in my car yesterday and just thought let me do a speed test with my new LG g4 and I got the following:

9hUriND.jpg

Now I do have signalcheck pro on my phone so if someone could tell me what to look for so I can figured out what upgrades have been done that would be great. 

I was just very surprised to see those speeds when I did this. 

This is located near Youngstown, Ohio BTW. 

SignalCheck is showing that you're on B41 which is the most important capacity band Sprint has. The important thing is that your phone is, by going to that speed, showing that 2x or 2 channel carrier aggregation is live in your market. Or, to put it another way, soon[emoji769] is now here.

Yes sir, Band 41 2nd carrier is showing up in more places. I've found a few B41 2nd carrier sites around Warren, but have not been near Youngstown in a while. Nobody in our market yet has provided proof that Carrier Aggregation exists (we are documenting additional carriers and CA in the hunter's threads), though ancedotal evidence based on speed tests such as yours and the discovery that both B41 carriers are adjacent to each other certainty paves the way for CA. I do not have a CA capable device, so I cannot confirm it myself.

I was waiting in my car yesterday and just thought let me do a speed test with my new LG g4 and I got the following:

9hUriND.jpg

Now I do have signalcheck pro on my phone so if someone could tell me what to look for so I can figured out what upgrades have been done that would be great. 

I was just very surprised to see those speeds when I did this. 

This is located near Youngstown, Ohio BTW.

In SCP, a "LTE2500" GCI ending in 03,04, or 05 indicates that you are connected to the 2nd carrier. The only way to check for CA is via LTE engineering screens. You will be connected to two separate download channels (a single upload channel will match one of the DL channels) if CA is present at a particular site.

In SCP, a "LTE2500" GCI ending in 03,04, or 05 indicates that you are connected to the 2nd carrier. The only way to check for CA is via LTE engineering screens. You will be connected to two separate download channels (a single upload channel will match one of the DL channels) if CA is present at a particular site.

Ok. So where I am right now it has 03 at the end. How do I get into the engineering screen to verify? LG G4

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

And as I read this post it seems as though speed has drastically gotten worse in downtown Cleveland...even before downtown is crowded. Been about a month since I've been able to surf with fast speeds and pulled this just now. iPhone6plus9fe8a9c87114101b79b60bcaae7354f1.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

How about this performance [emoji4]

4269c8b2fd21ca261a0d3e93bb46f9a6.jpg

Got this near Twinsburg/Solon area with a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ while driving down Interstate 480. I'm beyond satisfied.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...