Network Vision/LTE - Cleveland/NE Ohio Market

Ianmac23

Well yeah, for anyone with the new tri-band phones. Anyone without is going to be out of luck, unless you're saying that enough of the population will have switched to tri-band phones alleviating some of the burden on the other bands. 

I think that's wishful thinking at best ... many people upgraded to the S4 or another non-tri-band devices. I doubt many will just throw those away for a tri-band phone anytime soon, not to mention from what I have heard, the tri-band devices have trouble in areas where the 3G NV upgrades haven't been done (ie. many places in Cleveland market) ... so tri-band devices aren't really worth it in this market for now. 

Also, isn't there still the restrictions on the 800 band near the border of Canada where markets could overlap each other? I know I was reading about that somewhere in here too. That may be a non-issue but I know it was brought up before.

p.s. - Yes, I know LTE is still in testing up there, I was merely corroborating what was said about why Cleveland hasn't been officially launched yet. Too many holes in the city the market is named for. :)

I'm not even going for LTE 800 - that, definitely will take a while. But a lot of non tri-band devices have 3G 800, which when combined with solid backhaul still should be more than usable across all of downtown for both data and voice.  Re: Canada, as far as I know, that'll definitely affect the LTE 800 deploy, but the 3G will go ahead, just with lower transmission strength.

• Like 1

I'm not even going for LTE 800 - that, definitely will take a while. But a lot of non tri-band devices have 3G 800, which when combined with solid backhaul still should be more than usable across all of downtown for both data and voice.  Re: Canada, as far as I know, that'll definitely affect the LTE 800 deploy, but the 3G will go ahead, just with lower transmission strength.

Admittedly I don't know enough about the technical aspects of 3G 800 vs. LTE 800, but that's good news if the 3G 800 is supported by many of the non tri-band devices. I hope you're right because cell phones are virtually useless when a decent amount of people are downtown. I'm not sure how it is on a normal work day, but I would guess it's marginally better. There are a good amount of people downtown during the day. 

• Like 1

Admittedly I don't know enough about the technical aspects of 3G 800 vs. LTE 800, but that's good news if the 3G 800 is supported by many of the non tri-band devices. I hope you're right because cell phones are virtually useless when a decent amount of people are downtown. I'm not sure how it is on a normal work day, but I would guess it's marginally better. There are a good amount of people downtown during the day. 

I could be wrong but I believe youe S4 supports 3G 800. I know my iPhone 5 does but it only supports 1900mhz LTE.

• Like 2

Just to clarify, Sprint is deploying 1x on the SMR (800) band, not EVDO. Technically speaking 1x is considered a 3G technology but is no where near capable of the speeds you see on NV EVDO which is traditionally referred to as 3G on a CDMA carrier such as Sprint. I'm not sure, but an unburdened 1x carrier is capable of something like 250 Kbps where EVDO is upwards of 2.5 Mbps.

• Like 2

I'm getting LTE also now! The bad news is that its pretty week in Kent. The campus has it for the most part but downtown Kent doesn't. I hope they boost up the towers or something.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

My son was getting a light lte signal in my house in stow with his note 2 if he stood next to a window on one side of the house. As soon as they update the tower I usually use, I should be ok.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

My son was getting a light lte signal in my house in stow with his note 2 if he stood next to a window on one side of the house. As soon as they update the tower I usually use, I should be ok.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

I get very light LTE outside of my house. Most of the time my M8 likes to just switch to 3g it's so weak. I am pulling 1.65 yesterday down on 3g at 5pm. Also once the tower next to me goes live ill be set.

There is one tower in stow that must be really weak I've drove down 59 and never got any signal from it. If you check the maps you could probably tell which one I'm talking about

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Down in Green it's the same story ... Surrounded by 4G (including an actual launched market in Canton) yet there haven't been any new developments down there. The 3G is full signal but the data speed takes me back to 14.4 dial up modem speeds ... It's horrible. I can only hope that means they are working on the tower closest to where I work. It doesn't even show up as a 3G NV site on the sponsored maps ... Ugh.

The tower in Green that has been horrible 3G speeds for the past month or so has lit up LTE as of this morning. Turns out the eHRPD was a good sign after all. B)  The speed isn't as fast as it is at my home tower in the Falls, but it's at least respectable. Finally.  :tu:

The tower in Green that has been horrible 3G speeds for the past month or so has lit up LTE as of this morning. Turns out the eHRPD was a good sign after all. B) The speed isn't as fast as it is at my home tower in the Falls, but it's at least respectable. Finally. :tu:

yay! :D closer and closer to NDC! My calls have been dropping everyday! I'm in Wickliffe right now and the LTE here (outside is exceptional) but at bishop towers (inside) it constantly switched from LTE to 3G- the 3G is fast though!

Sent from my Blue iPhone 5C using Tapatalk ????

• Like 1

yay! :D closer and closer to NDC! My calls have been dropping everyday! I'm in Wickliffe right now and the LTE here (outside is exceptional) but at bishop towers (inside) it constantly switched from LTE to 3G- the 3G is fast though!

Sent from my Blue iPhone 5C using Tapatalk

That's my old stomping grounds, I grew up in Euclid. I hope they also improve the signal out in Mentor. The area of 306 between Rt 2 and Lakeshore is rough for signal. They've upgrade some of the towers to NV/LTE but a few more are so far untouched. 

• Like 1

Country Club Blvd North Olmsted is NV upgraded, shows eHRPD and HD voice now instead of EVDO

• Like 1

Been ehrpd connected to the country club Blvd since yesterday. My home tower. Big time upgrade for me. Data was barely usable at home on a good day.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I am west of that tower (almost in North Ridgeville) and I've got NOTHING here.  Same old non usuable data and sometimes maybe usable voice.  I think my house is in a data black hole...

The base station ID (BID) of 2 Sprint sites that cover where I live have changed to numbers in the 45K range.  I also saw workers putting up new antennas on one of those sites a few weeks ago.  The sites are not even marked 3G accepted yet though.

I think we might all be.  Was on Country Club Blvd here in N. Olmsted and didn't really see faster speeds that I've seen in the past.  Granted I have a 4S, which doesn't get 4G anyway, but the speeds were still not good.  Early Mornings downtown with the same 4S, I get good speeds, but as the day progresses the data is not usable.  At home without an Airave, I cannot even get signal for a call.  Sigh...dead zone at home maybe?  Was told when I joined two years ago that the NV project would extend the reach of the towers...wondering if I was being lied to.

I think we might all be.  Was on Country Club Blvd here in N. Olmsted and didn't really see faster speeds that I've seen in the past.  Granted I have a 4S, which doesn't get 4G anyway, but the speeds were still not good.  Early Mornings downtown with the same 4S, I get good speeds, but as the day progresses the data is not usable.  At home without an Airave, I cannot even get signal for a call.  Sigh...dead zone at home maybe?  Was told when I joined two years ago that the NV project would extend the reach of the towers...wondering if I was being lied to.

It will extend the range, or at least the penetration indoors, thanks to the 800 MHz rollouts. However, for call versions, that's a little ways away due to our presence in the DMZ with Canada. It is coming - if you look at the sponsor map you can see a couple of towers in the area with 800 launched. Just likely after they get through the 3G/4G initial rollouts around here. Only then will you see a difference in coverage. In the meantime, once 4G launches, you should notice better speeds on both 3G and 4G, when you're connected to those towers. Until 4G launches, you might notice minimal changes, but nothing significant until backhaul's in place.

Once ALL of that's done, we can start talking about a potential 800 MHz rollout of LTE, but that'll be somewhat tough in this area due to emergency personnel being slow to move off of those frequencies. Additionally, then you'll start seeing the B41 LTE, for super-fast stuff where you can get it - but that's likely not until end of year at this point at earliest.

I too have noticed poor 3G speeds on my 4S in areas that have towers which are both 3G and 4G accepted. One are in particular is the interchange between route 21 and I-76. There's a ton of towers right there, yet whenever I do a speed-test there the results are underwhelming.

And the North Olmsted towers are now LTE Active (NO CSFB Yet), There have also been a bunch of towers activated (With CSFB active) starting at the airport, all the way to just before the Valley View (Constant STRONG CSFB LTE).. Yes, I know there were already some towers along that route active, but never this strong, and never with CSFB..

• Like 3

And the North Olmsted towers are now LTE Active (NO CSFB Yet), There have also been a bunch of towers activated (With CSFB active) starting at the airport, all the way to just before the Valley View (Constant STRONG CSFB LTE).. Yes, I know there were already some towers along that route active, but never this strong, and never with CSFB..

Since when? I have to drive out to Cleveland this morning so I'll definitely get to enjoy the LTE goodness.

I'm kinda disappointed with areas like Avon. They really need to put another base station on the water tower. Signal is so fucky on LTE in that area.

I'm kinda disappointed with areas like Avon. They really need to put another base station on the water tower. Signal is so fucky on LTE in that area.

It drives me crazy when signals get all "fucky"...[emoji6]

I too have noticed poor 3G speeds on my 4S in areas that have towers which are both 3G and 4G accepted. One are in particular is the interchange between route 21 and I-76. There's a ton of towers right there, yet whenever I do a speed-test there the results are underwhelming.

There is still one tower very close to that interchange that's still 3G only which means it doesn't have backhaul yet; if you're coming South on 21 you're most likely connected to it.

Since when? I have to drive out to Cleveland this morning so I'll definitely get to enjoy the LTE goodness.

Came home last night at about 11:00pm.. And was dropping calls like crazy.. Then this morning at 6:15 while driving the same route back to work had lots of LTE love!

• Like 3