Sprint LTE Coverage Maps via Sensorly

I don't have an answer, but I have an idea.....

So my idea is that Sensorly is only looking at the signal strength and other tower-to-phone meta-data (SID, NID, BID, etc). It doesn't really care if you account is active or not. Kind of like on wi-fi where a client can see the SSIDs on an access point(s), but can't connect if there is any encryption.

Was the upload via the phone connecting to your home's wi-fi?

Correct it was uploaded via wifi cause I set it to. Now I noticed today I could not map lte at all cause data did not become active. Kinda a bummer cause inhave an iPhone and no one is mapping where I'm at. Wish this was a reliable solution ok mapping to help out. I kinda enjoy doing it with how odd that my sound.

You can switch phones on the website pretty easily as it takes 15 min max... swap out the iPhone for a weekend and then switch back for the week. The only other option is to pay the $30 to add a line for the extra phone, but I would assume that you do not want to do that.

Any reason why my Evo 3D will pick up 4 4G spots at my house, but my wife's Note 2 won't pick up any of the 4g spots in the same spot? We have no Wiimax anywhere near the house, and her phone doesn't detect any 4G coverage, so I'm assuming my phone is picking up signals from that tower showing it has 4G capabilities hooked up to it, but it's just not Sprint. I checked Verizon coverage and they have great 4G coverage, so maybe it's them.

http://www.antennasearch.com/sitestart.asp?sourcepagename=reportviewer2&prevsessionidnum=352676032&prevordernum=1&previtemnum=1&sectionname=towerreview&pagename=towerreview&pagenum=1&cmdrequest=pagehandler

That is the tower and if you zoom in from my house it says Nextel, but I'm not sure if that's accurate information anymore. It's not even 1/2 mile from my house, so it is pretty close. Seeing it say Nextel kind of got me excited and I had hopes it'll become a Sprint LTE tower, but I don't even know if Nextel uses it anymore, so I haven't gotten my hopes high. If I am asking these questions in the wrong thread I apologize, but I'm kind of excited to see 4G pop up in my small city. I'll go back to read the thread and hope I can answer some of my own questions.

Any reason why my Evo 3D will pick up 4 4G spots at my house, but my wife's Note 2 won't pick up any of the 4g spots in the same spot? We have no Wiimax anywhere near the house, and her phone doesn't detect any 4G coverage, so I'm assuming my phone is picking up signals from that tower showing it has 4G capabilities hooked up to it, but it's just not Sprint. I checked Verizon coverage and they have great 4G coverage, so maybe it's them.

http://www.antennase...est=pagehandler

That is the tower and if you zoom in from my house it says Nextel, but I'm not sure if that's accurate information anymore. It's not even 1/2 mile from my house, so it is pretty close. Seeing it say Nextel kind of got me excited and I had hopes it'll become a Sprint LTE tower, but I don't even know if Nextel uses it anymore, so I haven't gotten my hopes high. If I am asking these questions in the wrong thread I apologize, but I'm kind of excited to see 4G pop up in my small city. I'll go back to read the thread and hope I can answer some of my own questions.

First and foremost your Evo 3D and your wife's Note 2 run on two different technologies in relation to 4G. The Evo is a WIMAX device and the Note 2's 4G is provided via LTE.

WIMAX will eventually be phased out but the entire Sprint network will be covered with LTE in the next year or so.

• Like 1

First and foremost your Evo 3D and your wife's Note 2 run on two different technologies in relation to 4G. The Evo is a WIMAX device and the Note 2's 4G is provided via LTE.

WIMAX will eventually be phased out but the entire Sprint network will be covered with LTE in the next year or so.

I understand that. I know my 3D is Wiimax that is supposed to be supported till about 2015 I believe. I know The Note 2 is LTE, which is a different kind of 4G. I'm just wondering why my 3D will pick up 4 4G signals from my house and my wife's Note 2 won't pick up any. There is no Wiimax even close to my house (well about 6 miles away maybe in small areas in the next town over), so I'm wondering why my phone will pick up 4G signals and my wife's won't.

. . . There is no Wiimax even close to my house (well about 6 miles away maybe in small areas in the next town over), so I'm wondering why my phone will pick up 4G signals and my wife's won't.

Also, this link may help with what you're wondering about: http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp

In the 3 years I have owned 4G wimax phones (Epic and Evo 3D), I have never gotten Wimax in Auburndale, It does have about 2-3 dots in Auburndale on that map, but that's weird I have never gotten it. One dot is by the Lowes, Racetrac, Wal-Mart area, and Midflorida bank, so I'll try to connect next time I'm in that area (which is often at Lowes/Midflorida, lol). The other area is at the overpass on 92 in Auburndale, but I never have gotten 4G there either (maybe I haven't had 4g on to try it, so I will). About 6 miles away I do get Wimax on 92 towards Lakeland in a few areas (lots more in downtown) and in Winter Haven I get great service at a buddy's house, which I'm jealous of b/c I always get 4-5mbs down when no one else gets any service there.

What I meant in that previous post is that my house is too far away too even pick up a signal at those spots on HWY 92 in Auburndale, if there is 4G wimax there, so I was wondering why my 3D is picking up 4G signals at my house I really wish I did have 4G wimax at my house, but I have to have an airave to even get cell service at my house, because I get 0 service inside my house. Outside my house I am still lucky to get 1 bar. It does show on sensorly that someone picked up 4G LTE on the Parkway, which isn't too far, so hopefully that could mean better things for coverage around my house; especially since I'm near a tower with a bunch of different panels on it. Also the soccer fields they recently built and a few minutes away is a new college campus they are building.

I'm not trying to be annoying, but just trying to get a better understanding on how sensorly works. I know I am probably coming off as that, so I apologize for that, but I do appreciate all the help I have been given.

I guess I can't edit my previous post, but I guess the reason why my 3D is picking up 4G at my house is because somethnig is probably wrong with my phone. Everywhere we drove today it picked up 4G and had the same amount of signals as 3G, so I know something isn't right. I restarted it and am going to check if that fixes the issue. A longer stretch on HWY92 by my house has 4G LTE lighting up since we been driving on that road often and I been running sensorly, so I hope that's because of me.

We are going to Atlanta, GA, here in a little, so I'll be running sensorly on both phones all the way up there. I can't wait to see how well LTE works in Atlanta, since they have a much better LTE system set in place already.

Sensorly is not working with the HTC ONE, at least the map portion.

I'm having problems too, but with a Photon Q. If I set the phone to LTE only, Sensorly won't track anything. If I reboot immediately after setting it to LTE only, Sensorly will track for a little while but then stop (last time, after 76 points). Phone issue? Sensorly issue? Don't know, but I can surf the web just fine.

Is it just me or does it seem to anyone else that sensorly is getting buried in data and swamped by users to the point it's its getting a lot less fun to go exploring.

Is it just me or does it seem to anyone else that sensorly is getting buried in data and swamped by users to the point it's its getting a lot less fun to go exploring.

Depends on the area. I have a ton of sites upgraded but no LTE from them. Still a lot of exploring to do whenever the backhaul gets upgraded. I enjoy riding my bike up and down every street to make a solid block on the map plus it is good incentive for exercise and gives you a weird sense of accomplishment for those calories burned.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 4

Not all of us can be Columbus and Magellan.

I mean exploring their maps to see if there is new lte near me I don't kniw about. The site is getting bogged down and slow.

Yeah, its been slow recently, but it was also really slow last summer I remember...

Theres no ads right? The free money train doesnt run forever....

Also, my wimax mapping from 3 weeks ago finally (!) showed up.

I ran sensorly on both phones from Auburndale, FL, to Atlanta, GA. I think the points or w/e it is was around 27-30k points. I stopped it once or twice when we were at a rest area and restarted it so everything would be collected. Service for Sprint sucked bad around Gainesville and the I10-I75 intersection area and Gainesville, FL area (3G, Wimax, and LTE). When my wife had LTE in Atlanta it was nice, but it went in and out a lot while driving. 4G Wimax was about the same. I'd actually be happy with Wimax speeds so long as they were constant. It's nice to live in an area like Atlanta to be able to get good coverage for the most part whether you are on LTE or Wimax.

I ran Sensorly on the way back home, but didn't do it the whole way; maybe 3/4.

• Like 2

I ran sensorly on both phones from Auburndale, FL, to Atlanta, GA. I think the points or w/e it is was around 27-30k points. I stopped it once or twice when we were at a rest area and restarted it so everything would be collected. Service for Sprint sucked bad around Gainesville and the I10-I75 intersection area and Gainesville, FL area (3G, Wimax, and LTE). When my wife had LTE in Atlanta it was nice, but it went in and out a lot while driving. 4G Wimax was about the same. I'd actually be happy with Wimax speeds so long as they were constant. It's nice to live in an area like Atlanta to be able to get good coverage for the most part whether you are on LTE or Wimax.

I ran Sensorly on the way back home, but didn't do it the whole way; maybe 3/4.

Yes, it is very nice to have the choice between decent Wimax coverage and LTE here in Atlanta. LTE is finally essentially ubiquitous across the entire metropolitan area and Wimax is ok, despite its spotty/somewhat inconsistent nature. This is the only reason I'm still holding onto my wimax-enabled GS2. I'll cave in later this year and go full on LTE though.

I just can't wait until the great LTE coverage we currently have here in Atlanta extends across the entire Sprint 3G footprint. Here's looking at you, Lexington, KY (my hometown).

• Like 2

Yep. Been to Frankfort many times. Whenever I come home, though, I want to be sure and have Sprint LTE! I know VZW and ATT have had LTE in both Frankfort and Lexington for quite some time. One peculiarity: ever noticed that T-mo doesn't even have HSPA+ there? I never understood that unless it's a spectrum issue...