Sprint LTE Coverage Maps via Sensorly

The log jam isn't clear yet. LTE has caught up with data from approx Monday.

Then I believe we'll be back to fast update speeds. If e're not we'll increase capacity again (won't require a pause this time, unless there's an issue)

Cool. Thanks for letting us know. Nothing better then responsive devs.

Any thoughts on allowing landscape mode while mapping in the app?

Would be helpful in car dock. Also maybe a night mode?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

Cool. Thanks for letting us know. Nothing better then responsive devs.

Any thoughts on allowing landscape mode while mapping in the app?

For landscape mode, you mean in the "Trip" screen right ? Because the map screen already supports it. It would require redisigning the screen to fit in less height, we won't be able to do that soon unfortunately.

There's no way to do a night mode with the google maps API right now.

If you allow your screen to dim before timing out, it will dim to the lowest setting but never turn off (since Sensorly requires the screen on) if you don't touch it.

When I've been out mapping at night I set the screen timeout to 1 minute, then just set it in the car dock. After a minute, the screen dims to the lowest setting. Works for me.

For landscape mode, you mean in the "Trip" screen right ? Because the map screen already supports it. It would require redisigning the screen to fit in less height, we won't be able to do that soon unfortunately.

There's no way to do a night mode with the google maps API right now.

Yeah. The map trip screen. Its just annoying when I have it docked in my car. It rotates back and forth annoyingly. But no bid deal. And the night mode not so much for the map itself but like a dark theme for the rest of the the screens. Sometimes it's too bright with all that white at night. But again no big deal. Just makes it easier on the eyes.

If you allow your screen to dim before timing out, it will dim to the lowest setting but never turn off (since Sensorly requires the screen on) if you don't touch it.

When I've been out mapping at night I set the screen timeout to 1 minute, then just set it in the car dock. After a minute, the screen dims to the lowest setting. Works for me.

Hmmm. My car dock doesn't allow my screen to time out. I might take a look at that..

Hmmm. My car dock doesn't allow my screen to time out. I might take a look at that..

Hm. I only have a dock for my EVO LTE, so I just plug my GS3 in and let it sit there. Not sure how it would work with a real dock on the GS3. I know with my EVO, once you exit out of the car dock app, it forgets it in a dock and just acts like it's charging.

It did not solve the problem. I even tried to use compatible mode and that didn't work.

leave internet exploiter. by all means... There was a joke going around about html 5 and/or any web plug-in, the punchline was basically that if it didn't work it was IE.

Hi everyone, we've started processing the backlog, we're still some days out but the backlog should be processed this weekend at the latest. Our servers are running at peak capacity. Follow status messages here http://status.sensorly.com/

Regarding the site, our site database went down and we couldn't even get to our backups so we got an old backup from 6 months ago and it looks like the geolocation stuff is missing, *sigh* And of course, this is a long bank holiday so there's no one to circumvent the isssue. *sigh* again...

The upside to this is that the site is much faster since we moved it to a new much much faster server

Thanks for your patience.

I realize this might fall under confidential/non-public type of information but what about including a table showing your backlog times on your status page?

I realize this might fall under confidential/non-public type of information but what about including a table showing your backlog times on your status page?

We have one but it's not ready for public consumption as it's a little confusing at the moment.

We're working on improving this kind of stuff

• Like 1

Good news

• CDMA maps are now up-to-date and updating in near real-time.
  • LTE maps are up-to-date including data from 6 hours ago.

None of the LTE I mapped over a week ago, or last night is showing. Is it possible there is an issue with the HTC ONE?

None of the LTE I mapped over a week ago, or last night is showing. Is it possible there is an issue with the HTC ONE?

If you still don't see your data now, it's quite possible yes. In which case, send an email to contact@sen... with your phone's anonymous id. Clear your browser cache before testing.

Good news

• CDMA maps are now up-to-date and updating in near real-time.
  • LTE maps are up-to-date including data from 6 hours ago.

Looks great. I can see the new areas I mapped yesterday and the maps load very fast. Great job!

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 1

I've also always been curious as to whether sensorly is notably more/less popular with users of any particular carrier (perhaps due to a smaller/greater percentage of Android users)? The maps seem to show Sprint as having really caught up to AT&T in most areas and surpassed them in some (Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, KC). Besides California and the areas where Sprint has zero LTE, they now appear to be pretty even with AT&T. I wasn't sure if this is accurate or if there just aren't that many people mapping a lot of areas for AT&T. This could also be affected by the obsessed sensorly mappers using Sprint from this site...

Oh and can the lack of dark purple for Sprint compared to other carriers be explained by the lack of 800MHz LTE atm, or is it just because of a lower LTE-enabled tower density?

• Like 1

I've also always been curious as to whether sensorly is notably more/less popular with users of any particular carrier (perhaps due to a smaller/greater percentage of Android users)? The maps seem to show Sprint as having really caught up to AT&T in most areas and surpassed them in some (Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, KC). Besides California and the areas where Sprint has zero LTE, they now appear to be pretty even with AT&T. I wasn't sure if this is accurate or if there just aren't that many people mapping a lot of areas for AT&T. This could also be affected by the obsessed sensorly mappers using Sprint from this site...

Oh and can the lack of dark purple for Sprint compared to other carriers be explained by the lack of 800MHz LTE atm, or is it just because of a lower LTE-enabled tower density?

Sprint has Unlimited Data, so any Sprint user is more likely to use Sensorly than a user on other carriers.

If you were on AT&T or Verizon, using Sensorly could cost you money if you use too much data.

• Like 1

Sprint has Unlimited Data, so any Sprint user is more likely to use Sensorly than a user on other carriers.

If you were on AT&T or Verizon, using Sensorly could cost you money if you use too much data.

Does mapping sensorly really require much data at all? I imagine all it has to do is transmit a tiny amount to verify a connection and the strength, then (possibly at a later time) send coordinates and how strong the signal was at each coordinate. It seems to me it'd be a few bytes for each point it maps. I don't see how that can add up unless I'm way off on how much data it uses. And in that case, it can definitely be made more efficient.

I was wondering if the site had any publicly available information on how many users and how often people are running sensorly from each carrier. If Sprint users are submitting sensorly data 5 times as much as AT&T users, that would be significant. I really think this is the case based on looking at the maps. There are AT&T areas with solid, strong signals for long distances on the highway, then nothing in the city right next to it. Obviously the city should have at least some signal (even with narrow bandwidth highway panels), but since no one is mapping within the city, nothing shows up on sensorly.

EDIT: Beaten by digiblur. Maybe I should refresh before I submit...

• Like 1

I think Sprint users are one of the highest users of Sensorly, Maybe partly because of this site stressing that we should be using it, and again, because of the users not needing to be afraid of going over their cap on data being used. Just think if you were using AT&T or Verizon with a data cap, would you be willing to allow Sensorly to run for hours not knowing if it was going to take you over your limit??

I simply have a power cord to make sure it does not impact my battery and allow Sensorly to run with no qualms anytime I am traveling in an area that I think might not be previously mapped. I never really tried to figure out how much data it uses, but I doubt that it is a heavy user. The data that it captures is already on your phone. (signal strength and GPS location). Sensorly just grabs what is there and packages it into a predetermined format. Then it uploads to the Sensorly web site. Sensorly is collecting this data maybe every 100 -250 feet you move, both signal strength and GPS location. It holds onto the data until it has quite a few readings and then it uploads it in a group. OR, depending on your option settings, it may wait until you get connected via W-Fi and upload.

I think Sprint users are one of the highest users of Sensorly, Maybe partly because of this site stressing that we should be using it, and again, because of the users not needing to be afraid of going over their cap on data being used. Just think if you were using AT&T or Verizon with a data cap, would you be willing to allow Sensorly to run for hours not knowing if it was going to take you over your limit??

I simply have a power cord to make sure it does not impact my battery and allow Sensorly to run with no qualms anytime I am traveling in an area that I think might not be previously mapped. I never really tried to figure out how much data it uses, but I doubt that it is a heavy user. The data that it captures is already on your phone. (signal strength and GPS location). Sensorly just grabs what is there and packages it into a predetermined format. Then it uploads to the Sensorly web site. Sensorly is collecting this data maybe every 100 -250 feet you move, both signal strength and GPS location. It holds onto the data until it has quite a few readings and then it uploads it in a group. OR, depending on your option settings, it may wait until you get connected via W-Fi and upload.

If that's the case then sensorly can use literally no data, assuming you would normally have your phone, data, and gps on anyway, as long as you set to upload only via wifi. Granted that doesn't mean people actually know that it doesn't use data, but I imagine users with data caps track where their data goes, and would notice nothing for sensorly, so they wouldn't turn it off because of bandwidth limits.

If that's the case then sensorly can use literally no data, assuming you would normally have your phone, data, and gps on anyway, as long as you set to upload only via wifi. Granted that doesn't mean people actually know that it doesn't use data, but I imagine users with data caps track where their data goes, and would notice nothing for sensorly, so they wouldn't turn it off because of bandwidth limits.

You might use some data if you are looking at the Sensorly map as you drive around. It is continuously updating as you move around.

I do this quite often.

You might use some data if you are looking at the Sensorly map as you drive around. It is continuously updating as you move around.

I do this quite often.

Ya, I was just saying it looks like it's possible to use none of your wireless data (run in background, only upload via wifi). I was kind of thinking out loud. ;)

I really need a new phone so I can use sensorly myself, but I know the day after I get one they'll announce the first 800 LTE phone.

• Like 1