LightSquared Testing

4GHoward

It looks like LightSquared is back testing 4G LTE on the spectrum now in the 1675-1680 MHz band controlled by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration for atmospheric monitoring which the FCC recently granted for a three-month period to LightSquared.

Source:

http://news.cnet.com...d-its-4g-hopes/

http://www.wirelessw...pectrum-sharing

• Like 1

They sure aren't giving up, are they?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Surely they will have issues getting enough money to build the infrastructure if they try to do it themselves. It would take billions and years to get it done. I do not see it happening.

If they try to have somebody else host the network and do all the work, do they even have enough money to pay for the hosting considering that they start with no customers and would have steep competition? Is there any chance that the country needs or can support another LTE provider?? Would it be wise for any company that could do the hosting to even think of getting involved with this fiasco?? Cash up front should be the policy of any potential hosting company.

Well hopefully with the Softbank transaction approval, Sprint should be in better shape financially. I don't really Sprint to get in bed with Lightsquared again after this fiasco. They already have enough spectrum with the Clearwire transaction and if anything they should be relinquishing some of the EBS spectrum which isn't needed.

If lightsquared gets approval to use the spectrum, its just as likely to see them flip it = sell to a few regionals, a large carrier, etc. Id say the biggest priority is recovering some of that lost cash

Actually, I don't think that any of the big four really needs any spectrum right away. If as I predict, Sprint and T-Mobile merge, then the resulting entity would be flush with spectrum and would probably have to divest some. I have advocated that Sprint just keep the BRS spectrum and sell the Clearwire network and EBS leases to Dish and or just leases to Verizon.

The fcc won't allow a sprint tmobile merger. I thought there was an article recently posted here where the fcc said that more merging wasn't in the best intrest of consumers.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

The fcc won't allow a sprint tmobile merger. I thought there was an article recently posted here where the fcc said that more merging wasn't in the best intrest of consumers.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

The FCC is not against mergers in general. They just allowed Tmo and MetroPCS. The FCC is against the duopoly merging with other large carriers. Mergers will continue.

The FCC would allow Sprint and Tmo to merge if they so desire. But will likely have some conditions for divestiture. Whether spectrum, customers or regions. Or they may require more build out to serve more areas to compete against the duopoly.

Sprint and Tmo together are still smaller than AT&T. How could the FCC allow AT&T purchase the last companies they did and get as large as they are, but not let others have that opportunity.

Besides, a stronger combined third carrier is likely to be better for competition than two weak 3rd and 4th placed competitors. The FCC would treat competition seriously, but I'd be very surprised if they just outright rejected it.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Everyone can say whatever they want, if the lightsquared spectrum was for sale, I would like to see sprint make a play for it. Although it is not 600Mhz spectrum (which I think they need more to become competitive) it is at a lower frequency than their PCS spectrum, which theoretically should have better propagation characteristics than their PCS spectrum. If it were deployed on the current tower configuration, than we as consumers would see slightly better coverage compared to the PCS LTE. I know that LTE on 800Mhz band is going to be looked at as the golden ticket, but it will only be 1 5x5 carrier and in some places only a 3x3 carrier. It will be great for coverage, but they need to look at whatever they can do to increase capacity at better coverage than they currently have.

Of course there are legitimate concerns with this spectrum: Will it interfere still with GPS or other adjacent spectrum? If approved will there be power limits, limiting the propagation characteristics? Will device manufacturers be able to integrate the new bands into future devices, and not at extremely increased costs? What New panels will be required and how much would it be to include the bands?

All in all it will require sprint doing the math, and seeing the return on the investment. If the spectrum is cheap enough (relatively of course) it might be worth it, but more than likely they will try and wait for the 600Mhz to be auctioned off and do all in their power to position themselves for that spectrum.

Everyone can say whatever they want, if the lightsquared spectrum was for sale, I would like to see sprint make a play for it. Although it is not 600Mhz spectrum (which I think they need more to become competitive) it is at a lower frequency than their PCS spectrum, which theoretically should have better propagation characteristics than their PCS spectrum. If it were deployed on the current tower configuration, than we as consumers would see slightly better coverage compared to the PCS LTE. I know that LTE on 800Mhz band is going to be looked at as the golden ticket, but it will only be 1 5x5 carrier and in some places only a 3x3 carrier. It will be great for coverage, but they need to look at whatever they can do to increase capacity at better coverage than they currently have.

Of course there are legitimate concerns with this spectrum: Will it interfere still with GPS or other adjacent spectrum? If approved will there be power limits, limiting the propagation characteristics? Will device manufacturers be able to integrate the new bands into future devices, and not at extremely increased costs? What New panels will be required and how much would it be to include the bands?

All in all it will require sprint doing the math, and seeing the return on the investment. If the spectrum is cheap enough (relatively of course) it might be worth it, but more than likely they will try and wait for the 600Mhz to be auctioned off and do all in their power to position themselves for that spectrum.

Sprint has 1 5x5 carrier for LTE right now in PCS and the coverage/capacity really isn't bad and often overlaps quite a bit. When they have more PCS carriers, and the 800 available only when phones need it, and Clearwire spectrum + small cells for extra capacity in high density areas, the finished product should be able to completely meet Sprint customer needs. Buying any more in new bands seems inefficient and greedy to me.

Sprint has 1 5x5 carrier for LTE right now in PCS and the coverage/capacity really isn't bad and often overlaps quite a bit. When they have more PCS carriers, and the 800 available only when phones need it, and Clearwire spectrum + small cells for extra capacity in high density areas, the finished product should be able to completely meet Sprint customer needs. Buying any more in new bands seems inefficient and greedy to me.

Exactly they will already have 3 800 1900 and Clearwires 2500 so we will be in a way better position than vzw lte wise.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

The FCC is not against mergers in general. They just allowed Tmo and MetroPCS. The FCC is against the duopoly merging with other large carriers. Mergers will continue.

The FCC would allow Sprint and Tmo to merge if they so desire. But will likely have some conditions for divestiture. Whether spectrum, customers or regions. Or they may require more build out to serve more areas to compete against the duopoly.

Sprint and Tmo together are still smaller than AT&T. How could the FCC allow AT&T purchase the last companies they did and get as large as they are, but not let others have that opportunity.

Besides, a stronger combined third carrier is likely to be better for competition than two weak 3rd and 4th placed competitors. The FCC would treat competition seriously, but I'd be very surprised if they just outright rejected it.

Robert, I fully agree with you. If Sprint lets Dish have Clearwire's network and EBS leases, thereby enabling a 4th network, the FCC will look very favorably at a Sprint/T-Mobile merger.

What does a T-Mobile merger accomplish though? More mid range PCS and AWS spectrum that is not needed by Sprint, a legacy GSM network to worry about and more customers to serve.

I don't think that merger helps Sprint at all except in clout.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

What does a T-Mobile merger accomplish though? More mid range PCS and AWS spectrum that is not needed by Sprint, a legacy GSM network to worry about and more customers to serve.

More PCS and AWS spectrum, more customers, scale, more revenue. They do need to bid for 600Mhz spectrum and or help rural carriers develop their Lower 700Mhz spectrum.

• Like 1

Common scale of handsets. Softbank would have the second highest scale of handsets in the world behind China Mobile. They'd have superior scale for TD-LTE. They'd have the option to offer both networks... and since we're talking about the same core networks maintaining UMTS and LTE, the cost of leaving T-Mobile's UMTS up is nil. It isn't a Sprint Nextel deal, not by any metric you'd wish to use. If any network would fit in the legacy description, it would be Qualcomm CDMA2000. CDMA2000 could still be supported in handsets for roaming domestically, or for 1X 800, but then Sprint could offer people a choice to run either CDMA2000 or WCDMA. Let consumers decide. With combined assets, you could use CDMA2000 as a fallback for in building support with 800 MHz frequencies (since you can't fit UMTS into lower than 5 MHz spectrum partitions up and down).

Softbank could have global LTE handsets eventually, when the band support gets there (it's not that far off). For a merged set of networks, you could have this handset:

CDMA2000 on Band Classes 0,1, and 10, for 850,800, and 1900.

UMTS on 1,2,4,5, and 8 for 2100, AWS, PCS, 850, and 900.

LTE on bands 4, 12, 25, 26, and 41, which would be good for AWS, 700 Lower, SMR and Cellular, and PCS and Band G.

All this can be supported with current handsets. When the MDM9625 comes on line, you can add two additional LTE bands... 2100 and 1700 (not the same as ours, the one EAccess uses which is partly owned by Softbank as well.)

CDMA roaming would still exist. UMTS roaming in certain places could be added. Consumers could pick what they want to use. What's the issue with all this? It sounds like a win to me.

Common scale of handsets. Softbank would have the second highest scale of handsets in the world behind China Mobile. They'd have superior scale for TD-LTE. They'd have the option to offer both networks... and since we're talking about the same core networks maintaining UMTS and LTE, the cost of leaving T-Mobile's UMTS up is nil. It isn't a Sprint Nextel deal, not by any metric you'd wish to use. If any network would fit in the legacy description, it would be Qualcomm CDMA2000. CDMA2000 could still be supported in handsets for roaming domestically, or for 1X 800, but then Sprint could offer people a choice to run either CDMA2000 or WCDMA. Let consumers decide. With combined assets, you could use CDMA2000 as a fallback for in building support with 800 MHz frequencies (since you can't fit UMTS into lower than 5 MHz spectrum partitions up and down).

Softbank could have global LTE handsets eventually, when the band support gets there (it's not that far off). For a merged set of networks, you could have this handset:

CDMA2000 on Band Classes 0,1, and 10, for 850,800, and 1900.

UMTS on 1,2,4,5, and 8 for 2100, AWS, PCS, 850, and 900.

LTE on bands 4, 12, 25, 26, and 41, which would be good for AWS, 700 Lower, SMR and Cellular, and PCS and Band G.

All this can be supported with current handsets. When the MDM9625 comes on line, you can add two additional LTE bands... 2100 and 1700 (not the same as ours, the one EAccess uses which is partly owned by Softbank as well.)

CDMA roaming would still exist. UMTS roaming in certain places could be added. Consumers could pick what they want to use. What's the issue with all this? It sounds like a win to me.

On top of that, don't be surprised if the combination does not start expanding globably. Masha Son stated his ambitions to become a global force.

DT cant sell its shares for 18 months I believe. Does this mean any fi alized agreement is at least that far out? Also would it be worth it right away with the combined debt?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

DT cant sell its shares for 18 months I believe. Does this mean any fi alized agreement is at least that far out? Also would it be worth it right away with the combined debt?

The combined debt should be less than $35B (correct me if I am wrong). That's pretty manageable for a 96M customer company.

Edited by bigsnake49

DT can't sell it's shares in the New Company for 18 months.

There is so may spectrum options in the future:

The incentive auctions have received the most attention during the past few years. The FCC is currently writing the rules for the auctions and is trying to persuade broadcasters to participate.

Despite the noise around those auctions, there are several other auctions on the docket, including ones that may occur before the incentive auctions take place. One is an auction of the PCS "H Block" (1915-1920 MHz and 1995-2000 MHz), which have peaked the interest of both Sprint Nextel (NYSE:S) and Dish Network (NASDAQ: DISH). That auction is expected late this year.

Another is the Congress-mandated auction of the 1695-1710 MHz band. The CTIA is pushing the FCC to pair the upper edge of the BAS spectrum located at 2095-2110 MHz with that downlink block.

Finally, the FCC will move to auction the 2155-2180 MHz band, which the CTIA and T-Mobile US (NYSE:TMUS) would like to see paired with the 1755-1780 MHz band.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

so i was doing my monthly check for permits in the des moines area and i came across this permit....

BLD2013-00979 Builder VINCO, INC 18995 NORTH FOREST BLVD FOREST LAKE MN 55025
06/05/2013 3801 DEAN AVE
Applicant NICOLE TALAK CROWN CASTLE CAHANSBURG PA 15317 Owner MICHAEL VANDE VOORT 19641 BIRDSLEY RD COUNCIL BLUFFS IA 51503-8157 $35,000.00 ISS ALT COM District/Parcel: 050/04058-000-000 Designer
 Case valuation: 35,000.00 Adding 1 antenna to existing tower (Light Squared - (L2) is the carrier name) LOT 46 ORP SEC 5-78-23

sorry for the formatting, it doesn't copy/paste well. the address for the tower is 3801 DEAN AVE, Des Moines, IA and as you can see from the description its to add 1 antenna to existing tower for Light Squared. I can't imagine there is another company out there that would be dealing with "antennas" that would be called light squared so i'm assuming its related to this?

• Like 1

There's a loophole: they can the entire stake at once and privately.

Isn't this moot with daddy Soft-bucks? Sprint doesn't need TMO anymore to bulk up.