HTC ONE user thread

jegillis

Here's my problem with the death grip complaint. You really have to tuck the phone into your palm deep to make it do it. And surprise surprise when you block the antennas signal will drop. I don't think it's a problem it's just something to gossip about

Sent from my HTC One

I agree. I have to really really try to get the signal to drop more than a couple dBm. It's a stretch to drop more than 10 dBm, and even then it's a way I would never actually hold my phone.

Sent from my HTC ONE

• Like 1

this is very true, in the pictures I posted earlier to make the signal completely go to 0 bars I held the whole back of the phone. It's definitely a death grip but I don't ever use my phone like that.

-Luis

I agree. I have to really really try to get the signal to drop more than a couple dBm. It's a stretch to drop more than 10 dBm, and even then it's a way I would never actually hold my phone.

Sent from my HTC ONE

Ok, same here. WIth my tpu case on, nothing noticeable seems to happen but without the case I do notice about a 10 to 15 dbm change but like y'all said it only happens if I cover the entire back of the phone, but in normal use I will never hold it that way anyway.

• Like 1

Ok just left walmart and basically performance was the same on both devices. As we headed to the back of the store both phones dropped to 3g but once we got back to within a few feet of the registers both phones connected right back to 4g just fine. We are on our way to my girlfriends dads house now, he lives in an area where the signal isn't quite the best so this should give me a decent idea of how both phones will perform under below average conditions.

• Like 9

I guess the Walmart sporting goods department hates Sprint LTE.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

Just sounds like Deja vu all over again..

Forgive digiblur. He disowned HTC after one minor misstep. Now, he keeps his plastic handset locked up inside a plastic protective box.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

Forgive digiblur. He disowned HTC after one minor misstep. Now, he keeps his plastic handset locked up inside a plastic protective box.

;)

AJ

LOL!!!!!

;)

AJ

It could be pink and made out of paper for all I care. No signal and pretty pure gold back on a razor sharp phone is useless to me. Kinda like a '67 delta 88 burning 2 quarts of oil every 50 miles with $10,000 wheels. Sure looks nice to some but useless to many.

Sent from my little Note2

I finally be getting the phone tomorrow, and now I want to find a couple docks.

Specifically a portrait dock similar to the Galaxy model:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Multimedia-Desktop-Charging/dp/B0089VO71U/ref=dp_ob_title_def

And most importantly of all, a landscape dock:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/24/galaxy-nexus-landscape-dock-comes-to-the-us/

Not seeing anything official, but I suppose I could take an aftermarket dock. Any ideas?

Well,i had to return it...I'll keep my eye on better LTE coverage in the state(maybe the next 4-5 months) and pick up the One again..Such a fantastic phone and can't wait to hopefully use it again..Until then im stuck with this Note II which now feels gigantic again after 8 days with the One.

Well,i had to return it...I'll keep my eye on better LTE coverage in the state(maybe the next 4-5 months) and pick up the One again..Such a fantastic phone and can't wait to hopefully use it again..Until then im stuck with this Note II which now feels gigantic again after 8 days with the One.

Just out of curiosity, did you try using a case? I hope that you get to use this phone again in the future. :)

-Luis

Just out of curiosity, did you try using a case? I hope that you get to use this phone again in the future. :)

-Luis

Yeah. Phone has been in a case since hour 1 of owning the device. I've also tried with out the case as well. I tried everything I could to be able to keep the One and today is my 1st day back to work with out it and although I have better 4G coverage with this Note 2 I'm kind of over it ya know.

This is by far the best phone i have ever had, im not in a 4g area but i have better 3g then ever. I used it all day on power saver but i had the screen on very bright and 15 hours later it was at 38%. Apps run quick, no lag in sense 5, everything is very snappy. I do have the case i got from costco on it and i dont really see that much of a difference when setting it down vs holding it.

I will report back when LTE goes live so i can test that out as well :)

• Like 1

I just spent the last 48+ hours spending quality time with both the One and GS4 and as far as rf performance I really didn't see any noticeable real world differences between the two. Yesterday I was at my girlfriends dads house and both phones stayed connected to a very weak but usuable lte connection and they both disconnected once I went down into the basement and both phones reconnected once I came back upstairs. I also previously posted about my experience going into walmart. I know some people are experiencing issues with this whole "antenna gate aka holding it wrong issue" but its not enough for me to get frustrated with the device. Yes it does happen to me as well when the phone is not in a case while covering the entire back of the phone with both hands but its not as bad as some of the videos I have seen on youtube, also keep in mind that all phones have some sort of death grip. Anyway, just using the device as intended hasn't yielded any issues at all. I did notice that my GS4 was running slightly warmer than my One when the signal was low.

• Like 8

If anybody is easily able to recreate the "Left Hand Death Grip", give this a shot. If you have the pro version of SignalCheck, set 1x to be static on the notification bar with a dBm reading. Bring up speedtest but do not start a test. Go ahead and grip the phone with your left hand to recreate the death grip. Once you are around a -100 reading start a speedtest and look at your 1X reading.

I've noticed with mine in the few instances I can recreate the death grip and starting some sort of data connection (speedtest was the easiest to do), my signal will jump right back to around -79 to -83 where it normally sits at.

To me, that sounds like for some reason or other when gripped at the bottom with the left hand, the dual antenna is switching to antenna 1 (which has a max RF ERP/EIRP of 13.58 dBm of CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900), then once a data transmission is initiated it switches back to antenna 0.

Maybe that isn't the case but if anybody wants to give that a shot, let me know your results. One other thing I noticed was when I do have the phone in a "Death Grip", and initiate a speedtest, download on LTE will be fine but upload will bottom out. As soon as I let go mid way through the upload it picks right back up and will complete normally.

• Like 5

Wow... kernel source for the Sprint One has already been released. Only took HTC 11 days from release

http://www.htcdev.co...enter/downloads

Damn, I am impressed unless an new OTA is right around the corner but nevertheless, still impressive.

Here's my problem with the death grip complaint. You really have to tuck the phone into your palm deep to make it do it. And surprise surprise when you block the antennas signal will drop. I don't think it's a problem it's just something to gossip about

Sent from my HTC One

this is very true, in the pictures I posted earlier to make the signal completely go to 0 bars I held the whole back of the phone. It's definitely a death grip but I don't ever use my phone like that.

-Luis

Sent from my HTC ONE

If it were just a bit of signal drop I wouldn't care, but on a couple of instances I get complaints from my girlfriend that I'm either cutting in and out or I sound really far away and I've even had the call drop twice before. It's not all the time, just occasionally but either way its very annoying and I've been trying to find different ways of holding it to make sure I'm not covering the microphones by accident, etc. I really don't want to get a case but I'm starting to think I may have to if it will help with this issue.

If it were just a bit of signal drop I wouldn't care, but on a couple of instances I get complaints from my girlfriend that I'm either cutting in and out or I sound really far away and I've even had the call drop twice before. It's not all the time, just occasionally but either way its very annoying and I've been trying to find different ways of holding it to make sure I'm not covering the microphones by accident, etc. I really don't want to get a case but I'm starting to think I may have to if it will help with this issue.

As far as I know, the microphone is on the bottom of the phone next to the Micro-USB, I doubt you are covering that part. Someone else mentioned that when idle the phones fluctuates a lot, but when the phone is active it keeps a decent stable signal. I've experienced what is happening to you, when I asked sprint they said that it was due to the ongoing work in the area, it stopped. Hopefully this doesn't keep happening, if it does I would consider trying a different One to see if it's the device or just something that is happening in your area.

-Luis

anybody having issues with downloads failing? tried to download several video clips last night from various sites and no matter if i tried to save to phone, stream, save with ESdownloader or play with ESstreamplayer they all crapped out.

it's almost like my wi-fi drops for just a second and kills the connection. I've got it set on 2.4 only and best performance (if i leave on automatic it drops all the time) and I'm less than 20 feet from a Cisco range extender getting full bars.

anybody having issues with downloads failing? tried to download several video clips last night from various sites and no matter if i tried to save to phone, stream, save with ESdownloader or play with ESstreamplayer they all crapped out.

it's almost like my wi-fi drops for just a second and kills the connection. I've got it set on 2.4 only and best performance (if i leave on automatic it drops all the time) and I'm less than 20 feet from a Cisco range extender getting full bars.

This used to happen on my EVO LTE, certain sites probably encode their videos with a file format the phone can't read. I have no solution, I just tried finding everything through youtube :/

-Luis

not sure about that but they download fine on my 3D and GS3

I guess since we are talking about some issues with the device, is anyone having issues with the audio quality when playing locally stored music in the car via bluetooth to an aftermarket receiver? When I try to listen to music over bluetooth there is a lot of static in the sound, it sounds similar to speakers that are going bad and they start making a crackling sound. But I tried it this morning with an auxiliary cable and it works fine. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Do so at your own risk. If you do, you may be subject to arrest by the mattress tag police.

AJ

LOL I think I'll probably leave it for the moment.

-Luis

You can try this.

1-Power off the phone.

2-hold volume down + power button.

3-show barcode.

I know it does this on the EVO LTE to show the IMEI, SN, and MB(not sure what SN and MB are). It shows the numbers and scannable barcodes. If the HTC One shows them then you should be safe to remove the sticker.

• Like 1

I guess since we are talking about some issues with the device, is anyone having issues with the audio quality when playing locally stored music in the car via bluetooth to an aftermarket receiver? When I try to listen to music over bluetooth there is a lot of static in the sound, it sounds similar to speakers that are going bad and they start making a crackling sound. But I tried it this morning with an auxiliary cable and it works fine. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Listening to streaming or cached music from Spotify on my car stereo connected by Bluetooth has sounded great.

I haven't really seen this addressed anywhere yet. What do you do when/if the battery malfunctions? Would this be something where you have to have insurance and could only get a refurb? I'm sure this is something that people with iPhones and other phones with nonremovable batteries have come across.

I picked an HTC One up yesterday (having great battery life with power saver enabled, data on when screen off, at 8 hours off the charger I was at 80% -- with light usage, screen brightness at about 1/4 of max, only pushes Gmail) and I just have major concerns about how battery life will be before my contract runs out. I had to replace the battery on my Evo 4G twice. Other than some occasional frustration with having some difficulty with using the soft buttons and wifi speedtests running slow (4-5Mbs Down, 20+ Up on Fios 75/35), I have been thoroughly impressed.